Whos The Greatest Guitarist?

123457»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    njnancy said:
    Eddie Van Halen's  main influence was Eric Clapton, but Jimmy Page inspired his two handed tapping. He loved the 'reckless abandon' in Page's playing. His own unique mind inspired taking guitars apart and putting them back together so he could get the sound he wanted. What he was doing in the late 70's was completely new and awe inspiring. He didn't care if he fucked up because it was all an experiment with what a guitar was capable of producing. 

He is considered to probably be the fastest strummer and his finger span is ridiculous, probably because of his years of taking piano lessons. But he was born to play, you don't learn how to change how a guitar is played, that is just inside of you. And he has gotten better with age, through all of his problems, he still has it. 

He is a fantastic song writer,he wrote the majority of of the songs that Van Halen performs. 

He also is an awesome rhythm guitarist, since Van Halen only had one guitar player he had to play both roles. That is overlooked when people consider his talent.So he would be playing the shit out of the song as the rhythm player, but then his solo's would be mind blowing. I was lucky enough to see them 9 times in the 70's and 80's and although I love Van Halen, I am always watching Eddie no matter what role he is playing, even his organ playing was first class.

His talent could have been used in a much better way if he had been a solo player or if had played with equally talented guitar players instead of pop metal, but playing in a band with his brother was what he wanted.  

There are many fantastic guitar players - I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, Townsend, etc...but no one has grabbed my soul as much as Eddie Van Halen. He uses his guitar as if it is a part of him, or an intimate partner and it is so compelling. He is always finding new ways to make his guitar sing in a unique way and he looks like he isn't even trying. He can also not go crazy and just play some awesome blues. 

There are so many great guitarists, he just happens to be the one who has captured my interest since 1978. 

https://youtu.be/uDOFIttS69I

Eddie VH is not my favorite, but his excellent cannot be denied!  I thought it was cool that his playing was given a second life with hand surgery.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/exclusive-eddie-van-halen-recovering-after-hand-surgery-245816/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    Eddie Van Halen's  main influence was Eric Clapton, but Jimmy Page inspired his two handed tapping. He loved the 'reckless abandon' in Page's playing. His own unique mind inspired taking guitars apart and putting them back together so he could get the sound he wanted. What he was doing in the late 70's was completely new and awe inspiring. He didn't care if he fucked up because it was all an experiment with what a guitar was capable of producing. 

He is considered to probably be the fastest strummer and his finger span is ridiculous, probably because of his years of taking piano lessons. But he was born to play, you don't learn how to change how a guitar is played, that is just inside of you. And he has gotten better with age, through all of his problems, he still has it. 

He is a fantastic song writer,he wrote the majority of of the songs that Van Halen performs. 

He also is an awesome rhythm guitarist, since Van Halen only had one guitar player he had to play both roles. That is overlooked when people consider his talent.So he would be playing the shit out of the song as the rhythm player, but then his solo's would be mind blowing. I was lucky enough to see them 9 times in the 70's and 80's and although I love Van Halen, I am always watching Eddie no matter what role he is playing, even his organ playing was first class.

His talent could have been used in a much better way if he had been a solo player or if had played with equally talented guitar players instead of pop metal, but playing in a band with his brother was what he wanted.  

There are many fantastic guitar players - I got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, Townsend, etc...but no one has grabbed my soul as much as Eddie Van Halen. He uses his guitar as if it is a part of him, or an intimate partner and it is so compelling. He is always finding new ways to make his guitar sing in a unique way and he looks like he isn't even trying. He can also not go crazy and just play some awesome blues. 

There are so many great guitarists, he just happens to be the one who has captured my interest since 1978. 

Eddie VH is not my favorite, but his excellent cannot be denied!  I thought it was cool that his playing was given a second life with hand surgery.  https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/exclusive-eddie-van-halen-recovering-after-hand-surgery-245816/

Thanks Brian, I never knew about the hand surgery. That pinky is very important! I knew about the hip, the two cancer diagnoses, alcoholism, attitude problems, but not the hand. Thank you!
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Thanks Brian, I never knew about the hand surgery. That pinky is very important! I knew about the hip, the two cancer diagnoses, alcoholism, attitude problems, but not the hand. Thank you!
    I only knew about the hand.  That's always the first thing I think about with great guitar players- their hands.  Makes me think of Tony Iomme playing with those artificial finger tips of his, Django Reinhardt with his missing fingers (good Lord, have we not mentioned Django yet?!), Paul Westerberg stabbing his left hand with a screw driver while trying to extricate was from a candle holder, Tom Petty Shattering several of the bones in his hand by punching a wall, Les Paul who had his elbow permanently screwed at a right angle after a car accident so he could still play, Neil Young cancelling some gigs in the mid-90's due to a sore hand, Pete Townshend lacerating his hands doing windmills.  I've had the tip of my left middle finger shattered (yeah, there has to be a joke in there somehow) deep tissue injury to my left thumb and years of arthritis, so I know how hand issues can make playing a challenge.  Good grief- hands take a beating!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Hands down...Stevie Ray. I have NEVER seen somebody with more 'feel', and 'touch' than that man.

That boy MUST have sold his soul to the devil...
    +1
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    edited June 2019
    Cant forget  the Motor City Madman Ted Cat scratch Nugent

Oh yeah RALPH MACCHIO 😉 too he beat the Devil in Crossroads for cryin out loud!  Steve Vai's face is the best

https://youtu.be/NPB2qbxuiLM
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    hrd2imgn said:
    Cant forget  the Motor City Madman Ted Cat scratch Nugent

Oh yeah RALPH MACCHIO 😉 too he beat the Devil in Crossroads for cryin out loud!  Steve Vai's face is the best

https://youtu.be/NPB2qbxuiLM
    I didn't include Vai because Satriani taught him at one time.

I didn't include Satriani because, well, he's Satriani.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    Ace Frehley looks funny playing. If that counts for something. It's like he never learned proper technique and it feels like it can go off the rails at any time. He also looks at his neck/chords a lot, but I guess that is more a "tick". But he is obviously a legend.

I can tell you from MSG 08 playing Black Diamond, he seemed like the coolest dude on the planet slinging and slouching like he did...
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

I only knew about the hand.  That's always the first thing I think about with great guitar players- their hands.  Makes me think of Tony Iomme playing with those artificial finger tips of his, Django Reinhardt with his missing fingers (good Lord, have we not mentioned Django yet?!), Paul Westerberg stabbing his left hand with a screw driver while trying to extricate was from a candle holder, Tom Petty Shattering several of the bones in his hand by punching a wall, Les Paul who had his elbow permanently screwed at a right angle after a car accident so he could still play, Neil Young cancelling some gigs in the mid-90's due to a sore hand, Pete Townshend lacerating his hands doing windmills.  I've had the tip of my left middle finger shattered (yeah, there has to be a joke in there somehow) deep tissue injury to my left thumb and years of arthritis, so I know how hand issues can make playing a challenge.  Good grief- hands take a beating!

You can add Tom Morello to that list (from last year): https://www.spin.com/2018/06/tom-morello-hand-surgery-metal-photo/
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    James Patrick Page 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

You can add Tom Morello to that list (from last year): https://www.spin.com/2018/06/tom-morello-hand-surgery-metal-photo/
    Jerry Garcia missing his middle finger, Dave Mustaine and back nerve surgery.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Keith Moon blew up Pete’s eardrums
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

From (sort of) heavy metal to "extra metal", lol.

Hey, new musical genre for elderly rock stars- Extra Metal!

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:
    brianlux said:
    njnancy said:

Jerry Garcia missing his middle finger, Dave Mustaine and back nerve surgery.
    Jeff Healy playing in his lap because he was blind. (RIP)
    I'm sure I must have told this story before, but the best guitarist I've ever seen who had to overcome physical limitations was this guy and his little trio sitting on a sidewalk playing at a crafts fair in San Francisco's North Beach district. The band was comprised of a rhythm guitar player playing a very beat-to-hell strat, a percussionist keeping time tapping on a few pots and home-made percussion objects and the lead guitar/ vocalist.  The singer had this great BIG bluesy voice, but what he did didn't have much in the way of hands.  In fact, he had no left hand and only a thumb and half a forefinger on the right hand- just enough to hold a pick.  He had a slide bar strapped to his left wrist and, using those limitations, churned out some of the best, most soulful blues slide guitar work I've ever seen.  It was jaw dropping amazing.  God, I wish I knew what happened to those guys.