*** The vegetarian/vegan thread ***

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Excellent!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    If anyone likes baked potatoes, I've discovered the 2% cottage cheese on top of them is WAY better than sour cream (IMO anyway) - it tastes super good, and it's much higher in protein and way lower in fat. Yum! With chopped green onion on top.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    We eat a lot of vegan and veg meals.  I love all sorts of food and can say the  quorn nuggets are identical to chicken. Also in the u.k  linda mc cartney does a great range of veggie foods .  The  Sausages  are great and i found the fake duck so good. I call the fake duck ......wait for it......f-uck . Clever hey!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477

I think everyone was vegitarian/pescatarian?? before the ark took a sail. It's people like you that turned them into bacon and steaks. Stick to eating chicken. Those things cross the road too much.
    brianlux said:
    I've looked at and tried a lot of diets.  If I cut out everything that at one time or another I was trying to avoid I would have to cut out:

Meat and fish
    Carbs (which include dairy, fruits, grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables)
    Gluten
    Sugar
    Yeast

I think that leaves carrots, lettuce and broccoli.  I wonder if I could survive on carrots, lettuce and broccoli?

yes 

brianlux said:
    I've looked at and tried a lot of diets.  If I cut out everything that at one time or another I was trying to avoid I would have to cut out:

Meat and fish
    Carbs (which include dairy, fruits, grains, legumes, and starchy vegetables)
    Gluten
    Sugar
    Yeast

I think that leaves carrots, lettuce and broccoli.  I wonder if I could survive on carrots, lettuce and broccoli?

yes 

But you may want to go to purslane or and dandelion. They're easier to get to.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    We eat a lot of vegan and veg meals.  I love all sorts of food and can say the  quorn nuggets are identical to chicken. Also in the u.k  linda mc cartney does a great range of veggie foods .  The  Sausages  are great and i found the fake duck so good. I call the fake duck ......wait for it......f-uck . Clever hey!
    I used to buy her frozen meals when they first came out years ago.  Really good quality and taste.  They're not sold here anymore though (at least near me).
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2019
    I like swedish brand Anamma the most, out of the options here. Like it more than the quorn brand and better to buy something locally produced:

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Trying out this newcomer. Fifth veggie burger BK has over here:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    hmmm korean bbq beef short ribs. wonder what vegetarian side I can get to go along with for dinner tonight.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ive been  a vegan for nearly 10 months. why the change? i was travelling last year when the thought entered my consciousness and i simply thought it was just time. i do miss cheese and havent found  a vegan cheese i like yet and tbh im not actively looking. last wednesday i had my first pizza since i dont know when. for me the transition was an easy one cause  i dont miss meat... i had zero love for it anyway. veggies are awesome cause theyre so versatile.  salads, stir fries, curries, crudites. i love pulses and grains. falafel. avocado, mushrooms. and shopping at my local green grocer, its not as expensive. no doubt due to the fact that my food options have significantly narrowed, which in my opinion is a good thing. wasnt a huge fan of tofu and still arent, but every now and again ill eat it. i dont go for vegan 'meat' cause personally i dont see the point.. i gave up meat so why would i pretend to eat it...  but thats just my personal choice. im a whiskey drinker and hard liquor is vegan so hurrah!!! to that. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    ive been  a vegan for nearly 10 months. why the change? i was travelling last year when the thought entered my consciousness and i simply thought it was just time. i do miss cheese and havent found  a vegan cheese i like yet and tbh im not actively looking. last wednesday i had my first pizza since i dont know when. for me the transition was an easy one cause  i dont miss meat... i had zero love for it anyway. veggies are awesome cause theyre so versatile.  salads, stir fries, curries, crudites. i love pulses and grains. falafel. avocado, mushrooms. and shopping at my local green grocer, its not as expensive. no doubt due to the fact that my food options have significantly narrowed, which in my opinion is a good thing. wasnt a huge fan of tofu and still arent, but every now and again ill eat it. i dont go for vegan 'meat' cause personally i dont see the point.. i gave up meat so why would i pretend to eat it...  but thats just my personal choice. im a whiskey drinker and hard liquor is vegan so hurrah!!! to that. 
    Well, you did answer just that. 

I don't care for meat either. But it's easier for e.g. my mom to buy "veggie meatballs" and replace ordinary meatballs when making inner than starting to make her own falafel. Haha. 

So I don't see a problem. And it's often the shittiest of meateaters who use the "THEN WHY DOES IT HAVE TO LOOK LIKE MEAAAAAT?" argument, for whatever they try to argue. 

If it helps someone to buy a meat-tasting veggie supplement at Burger King instead of their veggie-patty - then whatever, at least they do not support the slaughter of living creatures that meal.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I agree about the fake meat -- not sure why it is needed.  I eat it (Beyond Burger) but the concept is pretty dumb.  If you are not eating meat, you are not eating meat.  Having a fake ass chicken wing doesn't mean you feel like you ate chicken.
    So much healthier to be a vegan or vegetarian eater....but I really do love some of the unhealthy options.

I agree about the fake meat -- not sure why it is needed.  I eat it (Beyond Burger) but the concept is pretty dumb.  If you are not eating meat, you are not eating meat.  Having a fake ass chicken wing doesn't mean you feel like you ate chicken.
    So much healthier to be a vegan or vegetarian eater....but I really do love some of the unhealthy options.

I gave one reason in the post above yours. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    In Canada the cattle lobby wants the word meat reserved for animals that actually have meat, I guess.

Canadian cattle producers back Quebec farmers’ beef with Beyond Meat over ‘plant-based meat’ marketing
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-cattle-producers-back-quebec-farmers-beef-with-beyond-meat/The Canadian

Cattlemen’s Association hasn’t filed its own complaint, but the organization’s manager for international and government relations says the Quebec group has its backing.

“We would agree with Quebec cattle producers that we need to make sure that food nomenclature is clear and following the regulations in Canada,” said Fawn Jackson. She said the term meat should be reserved for “the edible part of a carcass.”
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2019
    In Canada the cattle lobby wants the word meat reserved for animals that actually have meat, I guess.

Canadian cattle producers back Quebec farmers’ beef with Beyond Meat over ‘plant-based meat’ marketing
    https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canadian-cattle-producers-back-quebec-farmers-beef-with-beyond-meat/The Canadian

Cattlemen’s Association hasn’t filed its own complaint, but the organization’s manager for international and government relations says the Quebec group has its backing.

“We would agree with Quebec cattle producers that we need to make sure that food nomenclature is clear and following the regulations in Canada,” said Fawn Jackson. She said the term meat should be reserved for “the edible part of a carcass.”
    In Sweden we call the "pulp" of fruits "fruit meat" - so good luck trying to enforce that thing over here.

But the EU has done something similar to "attack" vegetarian food:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/04/eu-to-ban-non-meat-product-labels-veggie-burgers-and-vegan-steaks

In a move that some MEPs suspect bears the fingerprints of the meat industry, the parliament’s agriculture committee this week approved a ban on producers of vegetarian food using nomenclature usually deployed to describe meat.

The protected designations would include steak, sausage, escalope, burger and hamburger, under a revised regulation that passed with 80% approval. The measures will now be voted on by the full parliament after May’s European elections, before being put to member states and the European commission.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on

Does not change my feeling/statement.  

Sounds ignorant.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    hmmmm beef......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Sounds ignorant.
    Suck it

Sounds ignorant.
    Suck it
    No need for this.

Sounds ignorant.
    Suck it
    No need for this.
    No need for "sounds ignorant"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM

Sounds ignorant.
    Suck it
    No need for this.
    No need for "sounds ignorant"
    Person A: A reason is given.
    Person B: I can't see a reason
    Person A: I gave a reason above your post
    Person C: Seeing a reason doesn't make me see a reason.

Weird conversation. 

Reminds me of my 8 year old niece who suddenly hates (that's the word she uses) Frozen, but at the same time won't give up her Olaf pillowcase to one of her siblings. It's a bit contradictory. Just let your little brother have the pillowcase if you hate Olaf. But she won't listen. She's 8.
    Person A:  I talk down to everyone and then act like a wounded soul when someone calls me on it.

Person A:  I talk down to everyone and then act like a wounded soul when someone calls me on it.

I was not talking down to you. I just told you there was a reason given above your post.