Greta Van Fleet

13»

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    I tried man.  I still feel like im seeing and hearing a parody.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Led Zeppelin wrote songs about Hobbits.  Great Van Fleet is like three Hobbits starting a Zeppelin tribute band.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    meh, I still listen to their studio albums once in awhile and think a few of the songs are ok. I will casually follow them and listen to new material, but I totally understand people’s opinions on them. IDK

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    Except a tribute (or a cover band) plays covers.   GTF plays originals (many of which sound pretty good).   I think their major issue is how much their singer sounds like Robert Plant.   I often wonder if it's more the singer sounding like Robert Plant than the music which pretty much sounds like different versions of 70s rock.

I really dug the first two EPS (from the fires?).   I liked some of the first album, but not as much as the earlier stuff.   It'll be interesting to see what the next one sounds like.  I've noticed a lot of new bands don't put out a lot of new music which makes it harder to have great setlists live.   Bands of old would pump out music in their earlier years.  I wonder if they'll do the same to build up a solid back catalog.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2019
    Its not the musical style that bugs me so much but its the lyrics and the look of the band (as bad as that sounds).   The lead singer sings ok for the retro style he’s going for but its cringe worthy watching videos of them, man.  The lyrics are ok if you’re Robert Plant trying to be inoffensive.  You can be retro and still be cool (the strokes, the darkness, etc).  This dude is why i cant take them seriously tho.  Those SNL videos were awful.  My wife thought it was a skit until i told her. I actually don't like insulting groups.  He’s living his dream in the style he wants and they’re making $$$ doing it so good on him. 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I think it will be interesting to see what happens to this band. They've garnered a lot of attention so early in their career, and they definitely produce a love 'em or hate 'em reaction from music fans.
    Will this sellout world tour be the pinnacle of their career?
    Will we never hear of GVF in two years time?
    Will their next album prove they have originality?
    Will we see an interview in ten years where they admit they dressed like idiots when they were twenty-years old?
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I think it was mentioned in a thread before but, the lead singer needs to tone it down some. It’s like he’s always screaming. I think he has a decent voice when he tones it down or sings softer and I don’t understand why he doesn’t utilize it in that way more often. Another thing that kinda turns me off is the lead singers stage presence. He seems really stiff and soulless sometimes. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,728
    Wobbie said:
    Lizard said:
    Heard this band this week.. YOUNG guys.. .
    Good ole Rock n Roll... I like them
    Yes... they will remind you of Zeppelin..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA8_4D0foYU  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kQEMrBWuM&list=PLkrTTO1nqaiFxeKmgJEdKKbxtP3ck5UwE

LIZARD!!!!!!

yeah, they’re good.

derivative, but someone’s gotta carry the torch of straight ahead R&R.
    Are any young kids going to these shows?

I tried to like this band, I really did but they just don't do it for me...
    I with you tempo. Although to be fair after Rival Sons they are just a faded wannabe. Can't get into them and don't see how everyone else is.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    edited June 2019
    I feel the same way about Rival Sons.    To me they don't sound much different than most other rock bands.  The vocals are ok, but their muddied (or protooled) behind the band and there's nothing to really set them a part.  It's one of the reasons I struggle with modern rock music.  The vocalist seems to be a lost art form.  Put on any big band from the 60s through the 90s and you know who the singer is.

GVF's singer might sound too much like Robert Plant but he can still sing.   To my ears it doesn't sound like they're hiding him behind protools or behind the rest of the band.   I find that old way of doing music refreshing.  Letting a singer sing.    They've been the first band I've felt has done that.   I guess that's why I like them.  Even if their wardrobes aren't great.

It does disappoint me how vocal their detractors are.    There's load of music I don't like, but I've never had the energy to go into forums about then and express how much I loathe them (and my lack of understanding how anyone could like them).   I feel that Nickelback level of hate is gong to be their downfall :(  They'res not many bands than can attract that level of loathing.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Didn't know they had a new song out, not too bad

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA