Australia's shock election results are drawing comparisons to Trump's 2016 win

Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
Australia's shock election results are drawing comparisons to Trump's 2016 win

https://www.businessinsider.com/australian-election-results-prime-minister-morrisons-shock-victory-results-2019-5?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=referral

Must have been the Russians...
Give Peas A Chance…

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I guess if we keep ignoring the underlying factors....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Yeah, OK, but can he speak in tongues?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Here is the thing...I was watching the news this morning and the news said he was in 3rd place and the winner was either going to be the labour party or some other party in which I cannot remember the name.

I would no longer believe the polls...really, can you honestly say you believe the polls when they say Trump has 37% or whatever he has...

Give Peas A Chance…
    Here is the thing...I was watching the news this morning and the news said he was in 3rd place and the winner was either going to be the labour party or some other party in which I cannot remember the name.

I would no longer believe the polls...really, can you honestly say you believe the polls when they say Trump has 37% or whatever he has...

No and somewhat.  Any single poll will have biases.  If you want to look a polls to get a basic idea of what the public thinks, it's better to use a site that consolidates poll and takes into account their biases and history (FiveThirtyEight.com seems to do a decent job that way).  So overall, the polls give Trump a 42% approval rate which seems about right (and disturbing- 4 out of 10 approve of the man's job?  Oh brother!)

So I read that Morrison is a Pentecostal.  Does that mean that if he is indeed elected, will kids roll in the isles before each school day rather than pledge allegiance or whatever silly ritual Australians hold to?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

Well if the reason people are voting is changing and you keep asking the same type of people you always asked in the past...
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422

Well if the reason people are voting is changing and you keep asking the same type of people you always asked in the past...
    thats one of the things people dont often look at with polls. methodology, sample size, demographics, etc.....

THEN they claim it represents the entire country. 
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    climate change obviously not a concern wankers. Can see majority votes went to mining areas.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I am so so pissed off with my fellow Aussies for voting these assholes into power.

Here is a scathing attack on voters....

https://theqlder.com/2019/05/18/on-the-triumph-of-fear-loathing-and-selfishness/?fbclid=IwAR0phHFxrDfI7p6zj7ambPF_5BjcXW5d8vEpJOVH6CjnZ5XWfR2fo-gIQxs
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    I am so so pissed off with my fellow Aussies for voting these assholes into power.

Here is a scathing attack on voters....

https://theqlder.com/2019/05/18/on-the-triumph-of-fear-loathing-and-selfishness/?fbclid=IwAR0phHFxrDfI7p6zj7ambPF_5BjcXW5d8vEpJOVH6CjnZ5XWfR2fo-gIQxs
    "...we sleepwalk into a world of chaos, death and destruction. "

Sounds like Australia royally fucked up.  Kind of like another big country I know did a few years back. 

What the hell is wrong with us first worlders?  Can wait to burn the house down?  WTF? 

Left-leaning government, the right-leaning government does not matter...neither will fix the environment.  The environment is likely passed the state of no return...look at California, pretty damn left...

I believe these governments are coming to power because of citizens of those countries want migration to those countries curtailed of stopped...that is why the right is gaining popularity in Europe.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Being an American living in Australia for the last 8 years all I can say is, WTF mate? You'd think my new home would recognize the mistakes of my old...but apparently not.

Discussing with my wife, who is a born and bred Aussie, the consensus we came up with is that the voters, in the end, looked out for their own interest. AKA Money. The Liberal party announced just before the election the federal budget. And in it they promised a tax rebate of up to about $1000 per person come tax time......but only if they were elected. They also proposed tax cuts, that wont happen until 2024.......but you know, tax cuts man!

Also with the political ads, Labour done messed up. Their adds only attacked the other party leadership issues, and the Prime Minster, but not any of their policies (which to be honest, Liberal has no polices of substance, other than tax cuts!!! (that will never happen)). Liberal on the other hand in their ads attacked Labour's policies directly. Even though they made shit up about said policies, they basically said if Labour wins, your taxes will go up.

So at the end of the day, too many people thought about what was best themselves, rather than looking at the bigger picture of what it means to live a society, and well, that's how we get here.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Being an American living in Australia for the last 8 years all I can say is, WTF mate? You'd think my new home would recognize the mistakes of my old...but apparently not.

Discussing with my wife, who is a born and bred Aussie, the consensus we came up with is that the voters, in the end, looked out for their own interest. AKA Money. The Liberal party announced just before the election the federal budget. And in it they promised a tax rebate of up to about $1000 per person come tax time......but only if they were elected. They also proposed tax cuts, that wont happen until 2024.......but you know, tax cuts man!

Also with the political ads, Labour done messed up. Their adds only attacked the other party leadership issues, and the Prime Minster, but not any of their policies (which to be honest, Liberal has no polices of substance, other than tax cuts!!! (that will never happen)). Liberal on the other hand in their ads attacked Labour's policies directly. Even though they made shit up about said policies, they basically said if Labour wins, your taxes will go up.

So at the end of the day, too many people thought about what was best themselves, rather than looking at the bigger picture of what it means to live a society, and well, that's how we get here.
    Yes, individual financial interest apparently trumps all. We see that on this forum all the time, and it’s representative of society at large. 

For some reason we blame Millenials for being narcissistic, but clearly that applies to far more than just them, since they did not vote in these disastrous politicians and policies. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199

Yes, individual financial interest apparently trumps all. We see that on this forum all the time, and it’s representative of society at large. 

For some reason we blame Millenials for being narcissistic, but clearly that applies to far more than just them, since they did not vote in these disastrous politicians and policies. 
    Well here in Australia, voting is mandatory for citizens, and I know of at least one Millennial who voted for ScoMo (yes, our Prime Minister has the creepy ass nickname of ScoMo for Scott Morrison).

And yes, I'm sure overall the break down of who Millennial's voted for would be the Green's or Labour, but I couldn't pass up the chance to make fun of the PM, as well as throw my step-daughter's boyfriend under the bus! Yeah he is a good kid, just so misguided in social concerns. 

Don't forget Clive Palmer buying the Liberal's their win with his ad campaign.
    Greed wins, society suffers. Sad times.
    I have never felt as depressed and outraged after an election.

Greedy baby boomer retirees voted Liberal. Hands off my money they said, fuck the future of the planet they said.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    I guess if we keep ignoring the underlying factors....
    Which is what?

Greedy baby boomer retirees voted Liberal. Hands off my money they said, fuck the future of the planet they said.
    "Talkin' 'bout my gennnnneration"

Yeah, it's true.  Just like in America.  Over here, lots of boomers talk about being "green", change a light bulb or three, send a little money to some big name environmental group to assuage their guilt and yet are really much more focused on their toys, luxuries and status. 

Is this the same case in Australia?

brianlux said:

Yeah, it's true.  Just like in America.  Over here, lots of boomers talk about being "green", change a light bulb or three, send a little money to some big name environmental group to assuage their guilt and yet are really much more focused on their toys, luxuries and status. 

Probably. But I actually doubt it. A lot of climate deniers here. 
    Mandatory voting did not get you the results you wanted?

The environment is pretty much on everyone...and every generation has played a role in its demise...

The only way the environment will (maybe) is for humans to go extint...but we have to dump a shitload (some places have been literally dumping their untreated shit into the waterways) of plastics and garbage into our waterways...and plastic is forever.  Would not surprise me if this planet is not fixable.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    russians ...
    edited May 2019
    brianlux said:

Probably. But I actually doubt it. A lot of climate deniers here. 
    That's damn sad.  I remember when Peter Garrett was elected I thought, "Hey, those Australians have their shit together!"  And not because he was in a cool band (which he was) but because is is smart and proactive.  You folks need more like him  (and so do we)!

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Adani coal mine was one of the factors QLD voted majority liberal. There will be minimal jobs for the amount of environmental damage this will cause to the entire eastern australia and the artesian basin. At no benefit to Australia the coal will be shipped to India and we will be left with a wasteland. Adani has already started drilling twice without authority. Money and greed talks. Clive palmer and his United party never intended to get a seat but to use their votes to go to liberal to fund his mines. 60 million in false advertising a death tax or inheritance tax that was never the intention of labor and was fabricated and a hoax. Most bought the propaganda without doing their research. Meanwhile Clive Palmer still owes his nickel refinery workers 70 million in redundancy pay when it went bust. They're all criminals. For most who wouldn't even understand the ballot paper including me for those who vote independent parties which a lot voted for do not realise their preferences go to either liberal or labor. Those that didnt bother to vote their vote instantly goes to the party already in government. Too many climate deniers and too many thinking immigration is the problem. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited May 2019

In 2016 the national polls were spot on. They had Hillary up 3% and she received 2% more of the popular vote

But the national election is decided by the states. All the close states trump won by 1% (FL PA WI MI) the polling was within the margin of error.

E, forgot link:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
    edited May 2019
    Adani coal mine was one of the factors QLD voted majority liberal. There will be minimal jobs for the amount of environmental damage this will cause to the entire eastern australia and the artesian basin. At no benefit to Australia the coal will be shipped to India and we will be left with a wasteland. Adani has already started drilling twice without authority. Money and greed talks. Clive palmer and his United party never intended to get a seat but to use their votes to go to liberal to fund his mines. 60 million in false advertising a death tax or inheritance tax that was never the intention of labor and was fabricated and a hoax. Most bought the propaganda without doing their research. Meanwhile Clive Palmer still owes his nickel refinery workers 70 million in redundancy pay when it went bust. They're all criminals. For most who wouldn't even understand the ballot paper including me for those who vote independent parties which a lot voted for do not realise their preferences go to either liberal or labor. Those that didnt bother to vote their vote instantly goes to the party already in government. Too many climate deniers and too many thinking immigration is the problem. 
    It's so upsetting hey? I have been raging online since the election. It is unhealthy and I need to get away from social media. I find it hard not to reply to idiotic comments on Facebook. A large chunk of Australians are so stupid. 
    It's so upsetting hey? I have been raging online since the election. It is unhealthy and I need to get away from social media. I find it hard not to reply to idiotic comments on Facebook. A large chunk of Australians are so stupid. 
    Sometimes you just have to blow off some steam.