Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,851
    Anyone else have an issue with my 7 I pointed out?

Oh, one more thing I was surprised at.  Marvel wasn't nearly as important as I was thinking she'd be in this.  I didn't like her haircut,lol.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Read some stuff online about her haircut possibly alluding to her playing for the other team.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I thought Fury would have some type of role in the movie or at least a line.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited May 2019
    tempos points copied and commented underneath:

OK so I loved how they made this happen.  Very different from the comic.  I did like at the end where the whole Marvel universe joined together again in defeating Thanos.  That was awesome.  The face off reminded me of a comic pic.
    Not the whole universe though. Yes, they should have had a quick shot of Punisher or Daredevil in the end with the portals. But I liked when all the heroes returned in the end - because the movie made me forget about them. So I was surprised, even though I knew it would happen.

1-I didn't like that Iron man could figure out how to make a glove to hold the stones.
    Cheap storytelling. Lazy scriptwriters. The same with Tony solving the timetravel-problem in the scene in his living room STRAIGHT AFTER he has said it's impossible. They should have just cut that scene, and him solving the actual problem offscreen would have had worked much better. And having Banner pretty much solve it too? Would much rather have had The Avengers fetish all the geniuses they can find (Skarsgård, have Sam Rockwells characters return or/and Liv Tylers etc) and have a scene or two of them trying to figure it out before Stark returns with the "last puzzle piece". The universe is so damn small: "if Tony can't do it, can't you do it Hulk who is an expert in gamma radiation?". Yuck. But, I understand you might not be interested in fac-fiction-y what-if-y discuss it. But whatever. I think they could have solved the time travel solving in a better, less cheap way.

3-In the comics the gems and their power is only meant for "godlike" people in order to posses, Banner and Stark weren't worthy of them but oh well.
    Stark being that 1 future of 14.000.0000 where we win, would be pretty worthy I guess? But yeah. I haven't read the comic.

4-It's five years later so why is Parker back in high school?
    I think they should have skipped the "five years later" in the film or have everyone return five years back in the end. Trying to stop the snap from happening with the timetravel seems more storytelling-wise sense to me then to build a new glove to snap again. And even with the snap being iconic, I think it's cheesy that they turned it into a "mechanism" for the glove. I thought it was Thanos wish, and the snap was just something he did when wishing for it. Not that the snap itself worked as a  button...

5- Thanos time traveling?
    Them going to Thanos in the beginning felt like such a pointless side adventure - only being there to make the surprise of Thanos returning bigger. Letting the heroes know the gems was destroyed/used/gone could have been told in another/better way. I liked that it set up the damage the snap caused and that Thanos was not about to find his next evil plan, but he had accomplished what he wanted and was ready to die. But I think it would have been cooler if He realised the heroes plan, and He realizing he was no longer in the shape to stop them hijacked their timetravel plans and went to former Thanos himself. Instead of Thanos getting the info in that lazy way from Nebula. But now I am what-if:ing again.

6-Stark stealing the gems?
    I think this was so weird - having Iron Man snapping and not Captain America. I think the only reason was because Captain America would be to obvious. Which is in itself a shitty reason to change things up (The Last Jedi etc). Captain America - who in the former films had to see his love die, and buried and had to move on and live in the present - are now back in stalkmode and cheats to be with her (like that guy does in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind) and Tony Stark who's journey has been to care for others than himself - now does that with his daughter - but still sacrifices himself?

If not Nebula (who's wish is to kill her father) than it should have been Captain America who snapped in the end - sacrificing himself, a hero not suppose to be in our time. Tony Stark should have put his suit on a shelf - because of his daughter.

7-Captain America can hold Thor's hammer? I get it but...
    Well, it's from the comics. And it has been teased in Age of Ultron.

It should have been for that moment though. And not been his primary weapon for the rest of the fight.

Very, very well written.
    I do not agree. But it was at the same time a very good package for fanservice and a celebration of these 10 years - so in that sense I was fulfilled. But story wise and narrative wise I found it very lazy at parts. But at the same time, I had a blast in the theatre.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

Oh, one more thing I was surprised at.  Marvel wasn't nearly as important as I was thinking she'd be in this.  I didn't like her haircut,lol.
    Why? Since you have compared it to the comics before, I would think you would know that Cap has lifted Thor's hammer in the comics  as well.
    They have said this movie was more an end to the original 6, the other will have their own movies to lead. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    Best line in the movie for me:

Gamora "This is who I chose?!?"

"It was either him or a tree"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    That first scene with Hawkeye’s family though! That really got your attention, even if you had a good idea that he was going to take on the Ronin persona.

Thanos being taken out so early was a bit of a shock, although it sent Thor off the rails so it made sense. I loved Fat Thor, and I’m glad he stayed that way all film (considering how built Hemsworth is), but I understand the criticism it got. It became a fat joke when they could have addressed PTSD in more depth.

After all of the speculation over how Ant Man escaped the quantum realm, and would Captain Marvel Rescue him, it was funny that it ended up just being a rat stepping on a button. I wished they had included, or at least referenced, the Captain Marvel credits scene (where the beeper stopped and she appeared, looking for Fury) as I really enjoyed that. I was a little disappointed at first when the rumours started coming out that it would involve time travel, as that tends to balls up franchises (X-Men for example), but I thought they did it really well.

It was strange to see Widow die, especially as there is an origin movie in the works. If the stones were put back at exactly the same point they were taken, could she have been saved?

The Iron Man sample at the end of the credits was a really cool touch. I’m sure there are more things that I haven’t thought if, or didn’t spot. I’m really looking forward to watching it again
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)

In one of the interviews they said that they were filming Brie Larson’s scenes before the Captain Marvel movie had finished being written, so they were limited in what they could do with her. Kind of like how Black Panther was a minor character in IW because it was filmed before the solo movie took off.
    Also this was really about the end of the journey for the original 6, and she is part of the next chapter.

(Tim Rogers)

Why? Since you have compared it to the comics before, I would think you would know that Cap has lifted Thor's hammer in the comics  as well.
    They have said this movie was more an end to the original 6, the other will have their own movies to lead. 
    Yes but it wasn't really mentioned much in the movies.  They gave a hint of it in one of the others but nothing concrete.  It really came out of nowhere for me.

Yes but it wasn't really mentioned much in the movies.  They gave a hint of it in one of the others but nothing concrete.  It really came out of nowhere for me.

Well, the surprise was sort of the point. How should they have built it up? As soon as you see him with the hammer you get that "FUCK CAP IS WORTHY OF WIELDING THE HAMMER. HE'S GONNA FUCK THANOS UP!"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883

true, but It was said whoever was worthy. It was hinted at for him before, Vision lifted it as well. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...

Well, the surprise was sort of the point. How should they have built it up? As soon as you see him with the hammer you get that "FUCK CAP IS WORTHY OF WIELDING THE HAMMER. HE'S GONNA FUCK THANOS UP!"
    Can I say that I'll be in the minority and didn't care for that part of the movie.

pjsteelerfan said:

true, but It was said whoever was worthy. It was hinted at for him before, Vision lifted it as well. 
    If Vision was there and replace Cap with him in that scene I'd be all good.

Again, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    At 1st I was surprised there was no end credit scene but then it clicked.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin said:
    "end game", yep.
    JK_Livin said:
    But there was still something at the end of the credits. The sound of Tony building the first suit in the cave in IM1

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    JK_Livin said:
    But there was still something at the end of the credits. The sound of Tony building the first suit in the cave in IM1
    It was the beginning of it all to show the end.  Well done.
    JK_Livin said:
    When I went, they had a note on the doors to the cinema as well as at the box office saying there was nothing at the end of the credits. Of course just now I find out they kind of lied.

Can I say that I'll be in the minority and didn't care for that part of the movie.

pjsteelerfan said:

If Vision was there and replace Cap with him in that scene I'd be all good.

Again, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this.
    What did you think of him saying "Hail Hydra"? I thought that was pretty clever. The whole scene with the nod back to Winter Soldiers elevator scene and everything.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

I actually thought the best was:

Quill in pain:  ”ok the first time you missed.  The second time you got them both”
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    edited May 2019
    “Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-a-Bear.” —Tony Stark to Rocket
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

edited May 2019

Quill in pain:  ”ok the first time you missed.  The second time you got them both”
    I liked the banter at the end between Starlord and Thor: "The Asgardians of the Galaxy"

Thor: Well, here we are. Tree! Good to see you. Well, The Asgardians of the Galaxy back together again. Well, where to first?
    Peter Quill: Just so you know, this is my ship still. I’m in charge.
    Thor: I know. I know. Of course, you are. Of course.
    Peter Quill: See, you say of course, but then you touch the map. And it makes you think that maybe you didn’t realize I was in charge.
    Thor: Quail, that’s your own insecurities in there. Okay?
    Peter Quill: Quail?
    Thor: I’m merely trying to be of service. An assistant.
    Peter Quill: Quill.
    Thor: That’s what I said.

Rocket and Thor is a great duo. Both here and in Infinity War.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    ed243421 said:
    “Honestly, until this exact second, I thought you were a Build-a-Bear.” —Tony Stark to Rocket
    That and Stark calling Fat Thor "Lebowski".
    Yup

and the fortnite bit was funny too if ya have kids
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632

I liked the banter at the end between Starlord and Thor: "The Asgardians of the Galaxy"

Thor: Well, here we are. Tree! Good to see you. Well, The Asgardians of the Galaxy back together again. Well, where to first?
    Peter Quill: Just so you know, this is my ship still. I’m in charge.
    Thor: I know. I know. Of course, you are. Of course.
    Peter Quill: See, you say of course, but then you touch the map. And it makes you think that maybe you didn’t realize I was in charge.
    Thor: Quail, that’s your own insecurities in there. Okay?
    Peter Quill: Quail?
    Thor: I’m merely trying to be of service. An assistant.
    Peter Quill: Quill.
    Thor: That’s what I said.

Rocket and Thor is a great duo. Both here and in Infinity War.
    Im guessing Guardians 3 will have Thor in it. Hope so :lol:
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:
    A bit too obvious with how they dressed Thor. Everyone had already made that connection when the joke came. Not one of the strongest Stark quips.

Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:
    A bit too obvious with how they dressed Thor. Everyone had already made that connection when the joke came. Not one of the strongest Stark quips.

You've obviously never attended a movie with my wife. ;)

And it was funny cause Stark vocalized what we were all thinking. Reminiscent of him calling Thor "Point Break" in the first Avengers.
    Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:
    Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:

Thank you for strengthening my argument about being "too obvious" with that obvious use of a GIF.
    edited May 2019
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:

And it was funny cause Stark vocalized what we were all thinking. Reminiscent of him calling Thor "Point Break" in the first Avengers.
    But admit that the clever use of "Point Break" surprised you a tad more. 
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    ed243421 said:

But admit that the clever use of "Point Break" surprised you a tad more. 
    The Lebowski bit was funnier.