Facebook crush feature - would you use it?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    I love Instagram.  I know it is owned by fuckfacebook and that may go against my anti-Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg stance, but I was a member of IG long before that cocksuckermotherfucker bought it out.  And the difference between IG and ffb is that whatever content I post on IG belongs to me, it is my property.  That or credit is given to the original source (if known) if it is a repost.  When you post something to fuckfacebook, Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg owns it.  It's in the EUA.  I'm sure they still have whatever personal info I've submitted to IG, which is the bare minimum to create an account, but at least my content is my own.  It's photography/graphic design, you cannot claim rights to someone else's property.  Fuck that guy.
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    I have a Facebook page for my art, as do most artists. So Zuckerberg now owns our art? I don't get it.
    This is NOT true. Facebook doesn't own anyone's photos posted there. This is just an anti-facebook rumour/myth. It even says in FB's own terms of service that you still own all the original content and info that you post.
    Edit: I see that has already been pointed out :)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Facebook is just a dumpster fire full of garbage...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I love Instagram.  I know it is owned by fuckfacebook and that may go against my anti-Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg stance, but I was a member of IG long before that cocksuckermotherfucker bought it out.  And the difference between IG and ffb is that whatever content I post on IG belongs to me, it is my property.  That or credit is given to the original source (if known) if it is a repost.  When you post something to fuckfacebook, Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg owns it.  It's in the EUA.  I'm sure they still have whatever personal info I've submitted to IG, which is the bare minimum to create an account, but at least my content is my own.  It's photography/graphic design, you cannot claim rights to someone else's property.  Fuck that guy.
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    I have a Facebook page for my art, as do most artists. So Zuckerberg now owns our art? I don't get it.
    Art Ownership. ... By posting art on your account, you are granting Facebook "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable royalty-free, worldwide license to use" your artwork, in that people can see your images when you share them online, according to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities as of August 2011.
    FB doesn't own anything they just don't want to get hit with a lawsuit if someone else uses it.
    yeah, that's how I read it too. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    So backdoor ownership. We don't take it from you, but we don't care if someone else does.  Sounds like a swell company.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    So backdoor ownership. We don't take it from you, but we don't care if someone else does.  Sounds like a swell company.

which company? owned by who?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    Art Ownership. ... By posting art on your account, you are granting Facebook "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable royalty-free, worldwide license to use" your artwork, in that people can see your images when you share them online, according to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities as of August 2011.
    Damn. I never knew. I wonder if the many other artists who post on FB know.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    Damn. I never knew. I wonder if the many other artists who post on FB know.
    basically all that is saying is that your art is not protected from the public domain, and FB is not responsible for how things posted there are used/disseminated. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I see.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Anyhow, back to dating.
    I am still waiting for someone to crush me.
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I see the potential of things to go very wrong with this feature. What if someone just "crushes" on every person in their contact list to see who may possibly be " crushing" on them? How is that authentic? Or what if you "crush" on someone who never "crushes" on you? What if your crush doesn't know about this feature? How long would someone wait to see if there is a response? Can you"un-crush " someone? (I am not on FB, so am not sure how all this works.) 

Fortune favours the bold. If you like someone, tell them. It will never be easy, but you will never know until you take that risk. I would say that all of my friendships through this forum have been because one of us reached out to the other. Yes, I know friendships are different than crushing on someone and the risk is different, but for a shy, socially awkward, introvert like myself, it was still a risk. Not everyone I have reached out to has become a friend, but the ones who have are some of the most awesome folks I know. Take a chance.
    ELITIST FUK
    SD48277 said:
    I see the potential of things to go very wrong with this feature. What if someone just "crushes" on every person in their contact list to see who may possibly be " crushing" on them? How is that authentic? Or what if you "crush" on someone who never "crushes" on you? What if your crush doesn't know about this feature? How long would someone wait to see if there is a response? Can you"un-crush " someone? (I am not on FB, so am not sure how all this works.) 

Fortune favours the bold. If you like someone, tell them. It will never be easy, but you will never know until you take that risk. I would say that all of my friendships through this forum have been because one of us reached out to the other. Yes, I know friendships are different than crushing on someone and the risk is different, but for a shy, socially awkward, introvert like myself, it was still a risk. Not everyone I have reached out to has become a friend, but the ones who have are some of the most awesome folks I know. Take a chance.
    as someone else said, this is just the social media version of passing a note to someone in class. it's absurd to me for this to be a feature for adults, but I guess honestly so is social media as a whole. I mean, we have heads of state, and the POTUS, complaining about people being banned off social media. when you think about what that actually means for a second, it's absolutely ridiculous that this is a priority for anyone over age 25, never mind those that hold office and the highest in the land. 

this is where society is at now, though. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    SD48277 said:

as someone else said, this is just the social media version of passing a note to someone in class. it's absurd to me for this to be a feature for adults, but I guess honestly so is social media as a whole. I mean, we have heads of state, and the POTUS, complaining about people being banned off social media. when you think about what that actually means for a second, it's absolutely ridiculous that this is a priority for anyone over age 25, never mind those that hold office and the highest in the land. 

this is where society is at now, though. 
    Agree, although I think this is how I became friends with @Hobbes :blush:
    ELITIST FUK
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    SD48277 said:

You should be an advice giver in the Agnes thread. You've been holding out on us. ;)
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Wasn’t Facebook once cool or something?
    PJPOWER said:
    was it ever? I've been on it for a life-wasting 11 years or so. And I'm constantly looking back, asking myself, why the fuck....?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    was it ever? I've been on it for a life-wasting 11 years or so. And I'm constantly looking back, asking myself, why the fuck....?
    Touché ;)  Once the “duck face selfie” started trending, I lost interest.  Duck faced idiots...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Touché ;)  Once the “duck face selfie” started trending, I lost interest.  Duck faced idiots...
    seriously, I resisted going on it for a long time, despite all the invites I got. But when I finally went on it, I had a pretty serious addiction. it was unhealthy how much time I was spending on it for a while. i was late for work because I just "had to check facebook". it was downright stupid. And I didn't have a cell phone until 2 years ago, and had no internet access at work at the time, so I was spending all my free time at home on it. 

my daughter's first word was "poke". /s
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2019
    I never did like facebook.  I was actually kinda pissed when everyone started migrating to it from myspace (which I highly enjoyed) and I held out as long as a could.  I think I was on fb for about a year & a half before I got rid of it in (I think) 2012.  It was before the Blackhawks won their 5th Cup but I can't remember if it was 2011 or 2012.  And yeah, the duck face definitely helped my decision to leave.
    I don't recall the duck face. I liked myspace but only for the music. I never really figured out how to use it as a social tool. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    SD48277 said:

You should be an advice giver in the Agnes thread. You've been holding out on us. ;)
    #truth
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I don't recall the duck face. I liked myspace but only for the music. I never really figured out how to use it as a social tool. 
    Yeah, it almost seems like MySpace hit a wall just as it was getting good, then Facecrack took over as the new drug.  I was using Facebook mostly for a photo album until it just got political and turned into a narcissist paradise (or hell).  I still check it, but haven’t posted anything there in a while.  It is essentially an address book now, ha
    I have no desire to be an FB champion or anything, but.... When you post anything on the internet anywhere, you're accepting that your material is up for grabs to anyone who doesn't care about copyright. I don't see why Facebook in particular should be criticized for that.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have no desire to be an FB champion or anything, but.... When you post anything on the internet anywhere, you're accepting that your material is up for grabs to anyone who doesn't care about copyright. I don't see why Facebook in particular should be criticized for that.
    which is why most professional artists/photographers put their "mark" on all their content so it's unusable unless it's purchased without the mark. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    which is why most professional artists/photographers put their "mark" on all their content so it's unusable unless it's purchased without the mark. 
    Exactly.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    I was on FB from about 2006-2009. I started dating a girl around the end of 2008. Sometime in 2009, I got a "who's that bitch?" type of question. Also had one of my groomsmen congratulating my cheating ex-wife on her marriage (to the clown she left me for). I personally don't think that was cool at all. Then there was a mutual friends wife accusing me (defending my ex) of cheating on my ex too, so she wasn't all that wrong for cheating on me. That would have been okay with me....if I had actually stepped out.

All that shit in like a 12 month period and I didn't even post stuff on fucking FB. I said FUCK THIS. Me no like no drama. Done-zo since 2009!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Never been on fb. The only thing that has slightly tempted me is that my climbing gym uses a fb page to connect with new climbing partners, and I can’t access that. It has caused me to waver a few times, I’ll admit, but I’ve never broken ;). My main concern is that I don’t know anything about how to absolutely lock down my account, and since that would take time to learn that I have no interest in investing in fb, I’m not going to do it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I was on FB from about 2006-2009. I started dating a girl around the end of 2008. Sometime in 2009, I got a "who's that bitch?" type of question. Also had one of my groomsmen congratulating my cheating ex-wife on her marriage (to the clown she left me for). I personally don't think that was cool at all. Then there was a mutual friends wife accusing me (defending my ex) of cheating on my ex too, so she wasn't all that wrong for cheating on me. That would have been okay with me....if I had actually stepped out.

All that shit in like a 12 month period and I didn't even post stuff on fucking FB. I said FUCK THIS. Me no like no drama. Done-zo since 2009!
    That was when everyone didn't realize that you could see what other people write.  Once people found out it wasn't anonymous is when shit went sideways.

Now we have "Blocking, hiding and updated security measures to ensure your time on social media is a pleasant one" so by all means, comment away!

Also to touch on what you said, I broke up with someone and changed my status not realizing that my whole circle of people would know.  Then the messages start coming in about "what happened, what's up?!?" when the last thing I wanted to do was talk about it.  

Last time I ever filled out anything other than my name on there.
    edited May 2019
    Never been on fb. The only thing that has slightly tempted me is that my climbing gym uses a fb page to connect with new climbing partners, and I can’t access that. It has caused me to waver a few times, I’ll admit, but I’ve never broken ;). My main concern is that I don’t know anything about how to absolutely lock down my account, and since that would take time to learn that I have no interest in investing in fb, I’m not going to do it. 
    It's easy. You do have total control when it comes to not allowing the public to see anything about you. You can make your profile and anything you post restricted to friends only with one click. You can make this decision with each post you make individually, and/or with everything you do there. I'm not encouraging you or anything. Just letting you know FYI. ;)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Fuck facebook.  I would rather give up a nut than join that site and have people I barely know/remember contacting me.
    Glad others like it.  I hate facebook more than most things.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's easy. You do have total control when it comes to not allowing the public to see anything about you. You can make your profile and anything you post restricted to friends only with one click. You can make this decision with each post you make individually, and/or with everything you do there. I'm not encouraging you or anything. Just letting you know FYI. ;)
    Given what we know about fb and Zuckerberg, I just don’t have confidence in this. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf