Facebook crush feature - would you use it?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I don’t even use Facebook. Zuckerberg is a privacy stealing government crony. He and his corporation can both go fuck themselves.
    LOL.  How do you really feel?  Could not agree more, Zuckerberg is douche...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I will not be using it, as I don't see the point. I can see some of my FB friends selecting me as a "crush" and perhaps vice versa, but none of the ones I might even start considering for a date don't live where I do, so there would be absolutely no point. 
    Long distant crush then!
    I can't think of any reasons why that would be a good idea, lol. What would the point be? To make things awkward? :lol:;) 
    Phone sex, duh!
    Hit me up!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    it's funny to me that FB even rolled something like that out. I mean, I guess maybe they are trying to win back the younger people to FB, but I have a feeling that ship has passed. none of these kids want to be on Dadbook. My daughter keeps begging me to let her join instragram (NO!). She has not once asked about FB. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    Lol, I don't use Instagram either. I really don't get the point of it, unless one is just using it as a photo album. At least on facebook there are real conversations happening, and political discourse and everything. Instagram is just a narcissist's paradise. I don't get the appeal to non-narcissists. But of course Facebook owns Instagram, so I doubt they care which one you use all that much! They have all demographics covered between both platforms!  
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, I don't use Instagram either. I really don't get the point of it, unless one is just using it as a photo album. At least on facebook there are real conversations happening, and political discourse and everything. Instagram is just a narcissist's paradise. I don't get the appeal to non-narcissists. But of course Facebook owns Instagram, so I doubt they care which one you use all that much! They have all demographics covered between both platforms!  
    A picture is worth a thousand words....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    PJ_Soul said:
    Instagram is a cesspool.

That being said, had this been invented when I was in my 20's I would be a millionaire by now and have thousands of subscribers.  With all the traveling I did it could have made me money.

Oh well.
    edited May 2019
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A picture is worth a thousand words....
    But there are pictures all over the internet. What's so great about the ones people are posting on Instagram? It seems to me that most of them are just selfies and shit like that... I dunno. To me facebook is still people talking to each other. Instagram most seems like people throwing stuff at others. No real discourse or connections. That's fine with me if others get off on it. I just don't personally see the point.
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    any social media can be cesspool for narcissists. it's all in who you follow. I hate facebook now,  because there's just so much hatred and so many ads and stupid suggested posts and nonsense. it's becoming the new myspace. I got tired of seeing posts of friends of friends and bullshit. Instagram I only see the stuff I follow and nothing else. I follow bands to see the pictures and videos they post from shows, etc, and also people who use twitter but not facebook can post their links from instagram as there is no character limit. 

and with instagram you can actually lock down your account so you can control completely what people see (unless you get hacked, of course). with facebook it's nearly impossible to do that. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    any social media can be cesspool for narcissists. it's all in who you follow. I hate facebook now,  because there's just so much hatred and so many ads and stupid suggested posts and nonsense. it's becoming the new myspace. I got tired of seeing posts of friends of friends and bullshit. Instagram I only see the stuff I follow and nothing else. I follow bands to see the pictures and videos they post from shows, etc, and also people who use twitter but not facebook can post their links from instagram as there is no character limit. 

and with instagram you can actually lock down your account so you can control completely what people see (unless you get hacked, of course). with facebook it's nearly impossible to do that. 
    I actually misread and thought you said you won't join instagram. But no, you just won't let your daughter join it, haha.
    I do have an instagram account, so I know what it's like. I just don't use it (except for seeing what Joseph Arthur is up to, as he actually posts vids of himself singing stuff, and doesn't do the same on facebook; I just re-joined Insta because of that; I hadn't been on there for a couple years prior). I think I'd be more willing to use it if I was okay with ditching facebook, but I'm not. I really love facebook for a few reasons that don't apply to Instagram, namely revolving around news and current events and politics. Using both facebook AND instagram is just too fucking much. I agree there is a lot of cesspooling on facebook, but there are ways to avoid that. Plus, I actually have shit I want to post on FB. There is no way I'd be posting photos or anything to instagram. I'd just be a useless voyeur.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I actually misread and thought you said you won't join instagram. But no, you just won't let your daughter join it, haha.
    I do have an instagram account, so I know what it's like. I just don't use it (except for seeing what Joseph Arthur is up to, as he actually posts vids of himself singing stuff, and doesn't do the same on facebook; I just re-joined Insta because of that; I hadn't been on there for a couple years prior). I think I'd be more willing to use it if I was okay with ditching facebook, but I'm not. I really love facebook for a few reasons that don't apply to Instagram, namely revolving around news and current events and politics. Using both facebook AND instagram is just too fucking much. I agree there is a lot of cesspooling on facebook, but there are ways to avoid that. Plus, I actually have shit I want to post on FB. There is no way I'd be posting photos or anything to instagram. I'd just be a useless voyeur.
    this is exactly why I joined. stuff like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145
    People already hook up through Facebook and Instagram. Just like they did on Myspace
    I miss igotid88
    edited May 2019
    igotid88 said:
    People already hook up through Facebook and Instagram. Just like they did on Myspace
    Sure, of course they do. And on Craigslist, for that matter. Although I think this "crush" feature on FB is a little different. It's really for people who wouldn't not be hooking up like that, lol. It's for the shy people, haha.
    PJ_Soul said:
    igotid88 said:
    Sure, of course they do. And Craigslist, for that matter.
    I thought they removed all of that?

Years ago I heard about craigslist, was curious and went on there and was sorry that I did, lol.

Some people are messed up!
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    igotid88 said:
    Sure, of course they do. And Craigslist, for that matter.
    I thought they removed all of that?

Years ago I heard about craigslist, was curious and went on there and was sorry that I did, lol.

Some people are messed up!
    The missed connections and rants and raves sections are still there, and there are still topic-specific discussion groups on it... people always find a way. :lol: Omg, the worse cesspool on the internet may be the rants and raves section on any active city's CL. Just terrible. Lots of racists and incels.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    What's everyone's myspace address? We should all become friends there. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Lol, mine actually does still exist! And it still has some photos I posted in 2007 or something. But I don't really get what's going on with it ... It isn't clear to me what you're supposed to do there anymore, lol. It does make it clear that it wants me to "make connections". :tongue:

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, mine actually does still exist! And it still has some photos I posted in 2007 or something. But I don't really get what's going on with it ... It isn't clear to me what you're supposed to do there anymore, lol. It does make it clear that it wants me to "make connections". :tongue:

Supposed to be for musicians now. But a few weeks ago they lost a lot of the music that was uploaded
    I miss igotid88
    edited May 2019
    igotid88 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Supposed to be for musicians now. But a few weeks ago they lost a lot of the music that was uploaded
    Oh yeah right, I heard about that.
    There is also a lot of "news" about famous people in general featured there. Meh.
    With Instagram, it depends on who you follow.  There are some pretty great photographers that I follow on Instagram.  Facebook would be better if they did not allow comments on news stories...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    it's funny to me that FB even rolled something like that out. I mean, I guess maybe they are trying to win back the younger people to FB, but I have a feeling that ship has passed. none of these kids want to be on Dadbook. My daughter keeps begging me to let her join instragram (NO!). She has not once asked about FB. 
    I've actually noticed this with my niece who is 20 and girls her age at university. They don't use Facebook. I mean they have accounts but they don't use it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    edited May 2019
    I only use Instagram to share my paintings and to follow other artists.
    When I get someone like my paintings it feels more genuine than me posting it on Facebook. With Instagram they have to find my art based on the hashtags I use. I hate when I get fake followers like businesses, I just block them.
    Other than that, it sickens me with all the Kim Kardashian clones and influencers.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    When I get someone like my paintings it feels more genuine than me posting it on Facebook. With Instagram they have to find my art based on the hashtags I use. I hate when I get fake followers like businesses, I just block them.
    Other than that, it sickens me with all the Kim Kardashian clones and influencers.
    that's the great thing about IG; if you don't want to see that trash, you simply don't. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited May 2019
    I love Instagram.  I know it is owned by fuckfacebook and that may go against my anti-Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg stance, but I was a member of IG long before that cocksuckermotherfucker bought it out.  And the difference between IG and ffb is that whatever content I post on IG belongs to me, it is my property.  That or credit is given to the original source (if known) if it is a repost.  When you post something to fuckfacebook, Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg owns it.  It's in the EUA.  I'm sure they still have whatever personal info I've submitted to IG, which is the bare minimum to create an account, but at least my content is my own.  It's photography/graphic design, you cannot claim rights to someone else's property.  Fuck that guy.
    I love Instagram.  I know it is owned by fuckfacebook and that may go against my anti-Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg stance, but I was a member of IG long before that cocksuckermotherfucker bought it out.  And the difference between IG and ffb is that whatever content I post on IG belongs to me, it is my property.  That or credit is given to the original source (if known) if it is a repost.  When you post something to fuckfacebook, Cocksuckermotherfuckerberg owns it.  It's in the EUA.  I'm sure they still have whatever personal info I've submitted to IG, which is the bare minimum to create an account, but at least my content is my own.  It's photography/graphic design, you cannot claim rights to someone else's property.  Fuck that guy.
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    I have a Facebook page for my art, as do most artists. So Zuckerberg now owns our art? I don't get it.
    edited May 2019
    that's the great thing about IG; if you don't want to see that trash, you simply don't. 
    If I post my art here or on my personal Facebook or on an artists forum, I feel that people maybe comment and say they like it so that I don't feel bad for not getting any responses. With Instagram I get likes on my art weeks and months after I've posted it, I didn't ask anyone to check it out, they did it by finding it and to me it feels more genuine. Not saying people fake it on other platforms, it's just with Instagram you know for sure it's genuine. And it feels good to get followed by other artists. 
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    If I post my art here or on my personal Facebook or on an artists forum, I feel that people maybe comment and say they like it so that I dob't feel bad for not getting any responses. With Instagram I get likes on my art weeks and months after I've posted it, I didn't ask anyone to check it out, they did it by finding it and to me it feels more genuine. Not saying people fake it on other platforms, it's just with Instagram you know for sure it's genuine. And it feels good to get followed by other artists. 
    absolutely. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Shit I didn't know that. 
    I have a Facebook page for my art, as do most artists. So Zuckerberg now owns our art? I don't get it.
    Art Ownership. ... By posting art on your account, you are granting Facebook "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable royalty-free, worldwide license to use" your artwork, in that people can see your images when you share them online, according to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities as of August 2011.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

That's why I never post photos in FB...Zuckerberg is a joke of a person...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Shit I didn't know that. 
    Art Ownership. ... By posting art on your account, you are granting Facebook "non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable royalty-free, worldwide license to use" your artwork, in that people can see your images when you share them online, according to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities as of August 2011.
    FB doesn't own anything they just don't want to get hit with a lawsuit if someone else uses it.