2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Jason P said:
    Once an idea forms in Bettman's tiny brain it is set in ice and he will move forward no matter logic or common sense.  
    That is true.  But I do like  having 4 original 6 in one division.  I’d like to see the 2 Florida teams moved from the Atlantic and add NYR and Chicago to put the original 6 in the same division...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    I haven't really paid much attention the post season. Only team i know is still alive is Carolina and i think Boston?  Not sure who's still around in the west.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Ugh 😑 
    Tough loss Jose,  the islanders will be fine.  Sometimes you have tip your hat to the opposing goalie...but both goalies were great.
    They’re “fine”...on the golf course.

this postseason is not trending as I would like... :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    Ugh 😑 
    Tough loss Jose,  the islanders will be fine.  Sometimes you have tip your hat to the opposing goalie...but both goalies were great.
    They’re “fine”...on the golf course.

this postseason is not trending as I would like... :angry:
    All the top seeds are falling.  One of the weirder playoff years.  I was surprised the Isle fell so easily...some teams do not adjust well to rest.  Now Carolina will have a bit of a breather. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    Today is the anniversary of Jim Schoenfeld going after ref Don Koharski, calling him a fat pig and telling him to "go eat another donut." Playoff hockey at it's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9g0MC5eMY&fbclid=IwAR1AE3T6CcgR6nmQOtRNo0EDkiNpxsgkkROSKddmil0sKhXz0yDFiFuqiYM
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Today is the anniversary of Jim Schoenfeld going after ref Don Koharski, calling him a fat pig and telling him to "go eat another donut." Playoff hockey at it's best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs9g0MC5eMY&fbclid=IwAR1AE3T6CcgR6nmQOtRNo0EDkiNpxsgkkROSKddmil0sKhXz0yDFiFuqiYM
    I remember that.. and remember that Wayne's World ripped it with "Officer Koharski" at the donut shop.  
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    mrussel1 said:

I remember that.. and remember that Wayne's World ripped it with "Officer Koharski" at the donut shop.  
    Love Wayne's World, but only made that connection recently.  Hilarious.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588

Koharski was the fucking worst.  That is a great memory.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I would argue that Fraser was the worst.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    The NHL will never do a 1-16 in the playoff...

Bettman has said the playoff format will not be changing.

I am fine with how the format is set-up.  The NHL is trying to create rivalries.  However, if the NHL was really interested in creating rivalries give Quebec a franchise and kicking Tampa or Florida out of that division...Montreal and Quebec might have been one of the top 5 rivalries in North American sports...

We will see.  The NHL head honchos are always playing the part of Saddam's information officer claiming 'all is well' when things are broke (aligment/playoff format, Offsides challenge, current point system).  Last CBA brought about the last alignment change, and we have one coming up in the fall of 2020.  The current format is disliked by nearly everybody.  I was in favor of it when it first came out, but now I hate it.  The two wild cards is a confusing system, and IMO, the unfair first round match-ups are a very negative side effect.  As far as "creating rivalries"... it hasnt worked, nor will it.  In Divisions with 8 teams, playing teams in the other conference for 32 of your games, and in the modern NHL, rivalries arent going to grow, and if they do, it will be marginal.  You play teams in your Division, what? 4 times?  And the odds of a playoff meeting are low.  

When this first started, my subconscious was hoping for the old days when you play your Division rivals like 8 times, with fight-filled home and home series, and almost yearly playoff meetings.  Those days are gone, sadly and we arent getting them back.

I would like to see a general shake-up in the entire alignment.  Unsure of which.... but one thing, is I hope the NHL becomes the first league to re-seed the playoffs to make ANY Stanley Cup Final match-up possible.  Whether that is 1-16 format, or just re-seed the final 4 teams.  How awesome would a Philly/Pittsburgh final be?  Calgary/Edmonton?  NYR/NYI..... MON/BOS..... any match-up possible.

If it were me, once Seattle joins, I would break it down into (8) four team divisions.  Play each team within your Division 6 times (18 games), and the other 12 teams in your conference 4 times each (48 Games), and a home and home with 2 divisions in the other conference that rotate each season (16 games)... Or some variation of that.  Division winners make the playoffs, along with 4 wild cards in each conference.  Seed the teams #1-16 based on record.  Also employ the 3-2-1-0 points system (3 regulation W, 2 for OT or SO W, 1 for OT or SO L, and 0 for Regulation L).  

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

Remember that well.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    dankind said:

Forgot about Kerry.
    There are some LA Kings reasons why Koharski is my least favorite but he and Fraser were the 'top dogs' for a while, and both sucked eggs.
    dankind said:

Forgot about Kerry.
    There are some LA Kings reasons why Koharski is my least favorite but he and Fraser were the 'top dogs' for a while, and both sucked eggs.
    You guys are just embarrassing yourselves with your jealous of his sweet hair.  Now me, I idolize the stache on McCreary.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Forgot about Kerry.
    You guys are just embarrassing yourselves with your jealous of his sweet hair.  Now me, I idolize the stache on McCreary.  
    :lol:      

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    MayDay10 said:

I am fine with how the format is set-up.  The NHL is trying to create rivalries.  However, if the NHL was really interested in creating rivalries give Quebec a franchise and kicking Tampa or Florida out of that division...Montreal and Quebec might have been one of the top 5 rivalries in North American sports...

We will see.  The NHL head honchos are always playing the part of Saddam's information officer claiming 'all is well' when things are broke (aligment/playoff format, Offsides challenge, current point system).  Last CBA brought about the last alignment change, and we have one coming up in the fall of 2020.  The current format is disliked by nearly everybody.  I was in favor of it when it first came out, but now I hate it.  The two wild cards is a confusing system, and IMO, the unfair first round match-ups are a very negative side effect.  As far as "creating rivalries"... it hasnt worked, nor will it.  In Divisions with 8 teams, playing teams in the other conference for 32 of your games, and in the modern NHL, rivalries arent going to grow, and if they do, it will be marginal.  You play teams in your Division, what? 4 times?  And the odds of a playoff meeting are low.  

When this first started, my subconscious was hoping for the old days when you play your Division rivals like 8 times, with fight-filled home and home series, and almost yearly playoff meetings.  Those days are gone, sadly and we arent getting them back.

I would like to see a general shake-up in the entire alignment.  Unsure of which.... but one thing, is I hope the NHL becomes the first league to re-seed the playoffs to make ANY Stanley Cup Final match-up possible.  Whether that is 1-16 format, or just re-seed the final 4 teams.  How awesome would a Philly/Pittsburgh final be?  Calgary/Edmonton?  NYR/NYI..... MON/BOS..... any match-up possible.

If it were me, once Seattle joins, I would break it down into (8) four team divisions.  Play each team within your Division 6 times (18 games), and the other 12 teams in your conference 4 times each (48 Games), and a home and home with 2 divisions in the other conference that rotate each season (16 games)... Or some variation of that.  Division winners make the playoffs, along with 4 wild cards in each conference.  Seed the teams #1-16 based on record.  Also employ the 3-2-1-0 points system (3 regulation W, 2 for OT or SO W, 1 for OT or SO L, and 0 for Regulation L).  

Always in favor of playing more games VS your Division(baseball too). 

I agree about re-seeding. Any reason  why they can't at least try for a few seasons and see how it works? I don't see why not.
    cutz said:
    MayDay10 said:

Always in favor of playing more games VS your Division(baseball too). 

I agree about re-seeding. Any reason  why they can't at least try for a few seasons and see how it works? I don't see why not.
    100% agree on re-seeding.
    Regarding 1-16, I'm not sure that will ever happen. i think the travel schedule along with the 2-21-1-1 format makes that very difficult.  The players union would probably fight it as well.  If east and west played every round, you would have to add in extra travel days, extending the series.  The only way to do that would be to cut the regular season; no way the owners go for that.  
    Rivalries take time to develop...blowing up the divisions every time someone is not happy solves nothing.  The divisions I believe were set partly with geography in mind to keep the travel cost down, that's why the wings (and shorter road trips) wanted in the Eastern Conference.  The players union can be unhappy all they want...but if they want to continue to split revenue then they will work with the owners, and the owners like keeping expenses down, like any businessman.

What a BS call.  That Bruin should have been booted from the game.  He will likely get a game or 2.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027

Ha! That's perfect!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Yeah baby!!  =)

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    Canes Bruins should be good!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Idiots vs Racists.  ;)
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    Whalers vs Whalers? Red necks vs the alcoholics? LOL
    We still want to know what happened in Austin.  PM.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    It's great to awake in a world where Torts has been eliminated.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    mpedone said:
    It's great to awake in a world where Torts has been eliminated.
    Yup...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    100+ minutes without a goal at home. How’s that home ice treating you?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I like Torts.  Did a great job in Tampa for a long time...until he didn't  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    NYR, too. 

Players are too goddamn babied these days. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    mrussel1 said:
    He has only been past the 2nd round twice as a head coach...he is so over-rated...and to score 1 goal in your last 2 home playoff games is unacceptable.  Columbus has some big names available in free agency...hop Montreal goes after Duchene...
    Give Peas A Chance…