MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    I guess the batter could just run out and beat the shit out of the pitcher anytime they feel like it, but we certainly do not want that.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    You could not hit me with a bat throw from mound to plate.  I could move out of the way.  If I was unable to dodge it I sure could block it effectively

Try blocking a baseball fired at 90+ mph.

The pitcher gets no opportunity to take one in the back in your model in lots of instances.
      (Relievers and AL pitchers)

Why is it ok for the pitcher to "show up" the batter but not the other way around?
    I know I could hit you with a bat from the plate, but that is for another time.

Batters have all the advantages now.  They don't expect to get thrown at and have no fear.  They dig in and don't get brushed back anymore.  I'm all for hitting batters just not at the head.

You forget how this works?  They throw at the teams best player if they don't like what the opposing pitcher did.

But hey, it's how the game is and always has been played.

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    You could not hit me with a bat throw from mound to plate.  I could move out of the way.  If I was unable to dodge it I sure could block it effectively

The pitcher gets no opportunity to take one in the back in your model in lots of instances.

Why is it ok for the pitcher to "show up" the batter but not the other way around?

Batters have all the advantages now.  They don't expect to get thrown at and have no fear.  They dig in and don't get brushed back anymore.  I'm all for hitting batters just not at the head.

You forget how this works?  They throw at the teams best player if they don't like what the opposing pitcher did.

How the hell does a batter have all the advantage when some jerkoff pitcher can throw it at them whenever they want?!?!?  Why should they have fear when they are batting???  That's absurd.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588

We need to meet up for a Bat Dodge Challenge at some point, Chris.  If you drive down to Philly at some point, let me know and you can jump off the Turnpike.  Winner gets treated to a nice lunch or dinner.  :)
    Also, I am 45.  In pretty good shape but would be happy to put a mask on and some gloves (just in case) and show that even an old man could dodge a bat at 60 feet 6 inches.  :lol:

I know about the 'hit their best player' but also think that kinda stinks. 

I'm also not one of those guys who wants to change all of the rules....I just think this is a silly tradition to keep.  Someone could get frigging killed.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I guess the batter could just run out and beat the shit out of the pitcher anytime they feel like it, but we certainly do not want that.
    If a pitcher gets 5 games for using the ball as a weapon then a batter should get 5 games if uses the bat as a weapon and beats the shit out of the pitcher.

Me?  I am fighting 10 times out of 10 if someone intentionally throws a ball at me.
    If a pitcher gets 5 games for using the ball as a weapon then a batter should get 5 games if uses the bat as a weapon and beats the shit out of the pitcher.

Me?  I am fighting 10 times out of 10 if someone intentionally throws a ball at me.
    5 games for a pitchers means the start is pushed 1 day.  (For starters, at least)

And, I agree.  Maybe 9 out of 10 times if the pitcher is Chapman or some beast.  :lol:     

5 games for a pitchers means the start is pushed 1 day.  (For starters, at least)

And, I agree.  Maybe 9 out of 10 times if the pitcher is Chapman or some beast.  :lol:     
    haha, okay, so the batter gets one.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.  Solid point.
    They suspended him because of his language he used during the bench clearing scene.  Wow.  I guess you can't say any bad words if you get beaned with a 90 mph fastball!!  I don't even know what to say but I'll just blame this on Joe West.

How the hell does a batter have all the advantage when some jerkoff pitcher can throw it at them whenever they want?!?!?  Why should they have fear when they are batting???  That's absurd.

This is where the game has changed.

The batter has the advantage in that he can crowd the plate and not have a fear of getting thrown at.  If the pitcher does then he will get a warning or even thrown out of the game.

That is what I mean by them having the advantage.

In the last 20 years or so this has changed but you still have occurrences like Stanton that get hit in the face which is what MLB wanted to and should have curbed.

Abso-fucking-lutely.  This whole notion of just accepting being beaned with a pitch is "part of the game" is so fucking ridiculous.
    They suspended him because of his language he used during the bench clearing scene.  Wow.  I guess you can't say any bad words if you get beaned with a 90 mph fastball!!  I don't even know what to say but I'll just blame this on Joe West.
    Ummm, they had to hold him back multiple times.

You got hit.

Take your base.

We need to meet up for a Bat Dodge Challenge at some point, Chris.  If you drive down to Philly at some point, let me know and you can jump off the Turnpike.  Winner gets treated to a nice lunch or dinner.  :)
    Also, I am 45.  In pretty good shape but would be happy to put a mask on and some gloves (just in case) and show that even an old man could dodge a bat at 60 feet 6 inches.  :lol:

I'm also not one of those guys who wants to change all of the rules....I just think this is a silly tradition to keep.  Someone could get frigging killed.
    You know I'm going to feel bad after I hit you w a bat right, lol?

You got hit.

Take your base.
    LOL.  Just have to take your punishment because the poor little pitcher got upset huh?  So childish.

You got hit.

Take your base.
    LOL.  Just have to take your punishment because the poor little pitcher got upset huh?  So childish.
    I agree it is childish.

To flip the bat and carry on like it's the WS in April is childish too but I digress, we are watching men play a kids' game so a little arrested development among them is imminent right?
    Again though, I like hitting batters and I like bat flips!!!

I used to chuckle when Bonds would stare and watch his ball fly out of the stadiums!

Ahh, I'll still buy you a meal and a beer if I'm too old to dodge a bat thrown 60 feet from me 

Ahh, I'll still buy you a meal and a beer if I'm too old to dodge a bat thrown 60 feet from me 
    We need to film our stupidity so I don't get sued or have to pay any medical bills...and maybe go viral with the results and make some money off of this ingenious idea/experiment.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I’m fine with beaning dudes that show the pitcher up and that crowd the plate wearing a suit of armor. 

There are penalties for players showing up the other team in every sport. What’s a good suggestion to curtail it in MLB? 
    DewieCox said:
    I’m fine with beaning dudes that show the pitcher up and that crowd the plate wearing a suit of armor. 

There are penalties for players showing up the other team in every sport. What’s a good suggestion to curtail it in MLB? 
    If you're fine with beaning dudes who "show up" the pitcher, then what should the batters do when a pitcher "shows up"
     them after a big strikeout and does a dance or fist pump???  

MLB is encouraging guys to show some personality.  They had a whole ad campaign during the postseason last year about the nonsense of unwritten rules.  

We need to film our stupidity so I don't get sued or have to pay any medical bills...and maybe go viral with the results and make some money off of this ingenious idea/experiment.
    Agree!
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Can't believe Anderson got suspended for that bullshit reason. I hope MLB doesn't go down the NBA route.  Buncha damn wimps.
    Vlad Jr on Tuesday!
    FINALLY!!!!

If you haven't please check his baseball card prices right now and after he hits a HR his first ab please check them again.

This is what "stupid" means.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited April 2019
    DewieCox said:

If you're fine with beaning dudes who "show up" the pitcher, then what should the batters do when a pitcher "shows up"
     them after a big strikeout and does a dance or fist pump???  

MLB is encouraging guys to show some personality.  They had a whole ad campaign during the postseason last year about the nonsense of unwritten rules.  

Hit a homer next time and act like a douche, call time stupid late, step out to tighten their gloves/adjust their helmet/scratch their dicks after every pitch.

Put a limit on the protective gear they can use and call the actual strike zone and I’d have more sympathy for batters. 

I’m not condoning 90mph up above the letters or anything, but a change up to the middle of the back or thigh isn’t really that big a deal compared to the physicality of other sports. 

There are ways to show personality without getting stupid about it. 

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Not knowing anything of Tim Anderson, I saw the ESPN headline where he was suspended one game for using the N-word.  My first thought was I can't believe that is only 1 game in this day and age and how in the hell does he face his teammates after saying something like that.  That is pretty much a career ender that gets you thrown off onto the island of misfit toys.  Then I saw a picture of Tim Anderson.  Good thing his last name isn't Tebow ...
    Ha.  I knew he was black - and I think it is a cover up.  
    Judge out with an oblique strain.  That is a bad injury to have...  That team is falling apart w injuries.

Talks of Lindor leaving the Indians.  That would be really dumb to lose him.  Great ball player.

Yelich is playing some serious ball right now.

Braves young club is something i will enjoy watching for years.

Carlos Correa is underrated.

Bring up SENZEL!!!
    I believe he is still working his way back from injury, extended spring training.  
    Reds have got to start hitting at some point.  Senzel might be the spark they need.  Iglasias has done fine at short but they could put Senzel at 2B and Peraza back at SS.

Judge out with an oblique strain.  That is a bad injury to have...  That team is falling apart w injuries.

Talks of Lindor leaving the Indians.  That would be really dumb to lose him.  Great ball player.

Yelich is playing some serious ball right now.

Braves young club is something i will enjoy watching for years.

Carlos Correa is underrated.

Bring up SENZEL!!!
    I am hoping Judge is back after the all star break at this point.

No chance Lindor stays.  They owner said something like enjoy him while you have him.