Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    I skipped out last summer, so my last show would've been The Night Before show in MSP. This was the first show without Boyd, so it was a bit weird. Still had a blast though. 

Forgot to mention the 5% off merch for WH members above. Might not seem like much, but combine that with their Black Friday deals and it adds up. Assuming you were to buy merch in the first place. I always buy the Live Trax released during the year b/c I think they're 20% off on BF? I usually find the downloads to hold me over until then. Haven't found 47 yet, but it's fairly recent. 
    @mrussel1 Do you have Pumpkin Recently? I have the vinyl from RSD a few years back, but am not sure how to get it digitally other than ripping it myself. Thanks!
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Thanks for the link @disilluzion - there is an interesting rendition of Sweet Emotion in there.  Covered All Along the Watchtower but I've heard them do that, this was a new one and interesting to hear them do Aerosmith. 

I have a question for any of you - it's driving me crazy. 

What the heck is the crowd singing in the beginning of Everyday? I cannot make it out no matter how many times I listen to different versions. And listening to the studio version is no help.  The crowd sings the same thing on every live version and I can't make it out. When Dave brings on his friend from South Africa on the Saratoga live album they sing it in the middle also.

All day happy, come and dance with me? Something like that? It sounds really pretty but I need some help from 'real' fans. 

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    njnancy said:
    Thanks for the link @disilluzion - there is an interesting rendition of Sweet Emotion in there.  Covered All Along the Watchtower but I've heard them do that, this was a new one and interesting to hear them do Aerosmith. 

What the heck is the crowd singing in the beginning of Everyday? I cannot make it out no matter how many times I listen to different versions. And listening to the studio version is no help.  The crowd sings the same thing on every live version and I can't make it out. When Dave brings on his friend from South Africa on the Saratoga live album they sing it in the middle also.

All day happy, come and dance with me? Something like that? It sounds really pretty but I need some help from 'real' fans. 

Honey honey...come and dance with me....
    The rhythm of Everyday was first called #36 which made periodic appearances at shows.  It was certainly beloved.  There's a great version on Listener Supported as well.  Now the two songs have merged into one, thanks to the fans.  

I was at the 12.14 C'ville show.  It was really, really great.  They brought out a jazz band for That Girl is You.  You can hear them jamming out, but to see them was just amazing.  They were so much fun.  
    @mrussel1 Do you have Pumpkin Recently? I have the vinyl from RSD a few years back, but am not sure how to get it digitally other than ripping it myself. Thanks!
    I only have the 10" version.  I have the CD of Recently from back in the day, but not the Pumpkin version.  Are you looking for a FLAC rip of Recently or a FLAC rip of Pumpkin itself?  I can give you the former if that's what you need.  
    And they should retire Sweet Emotion.  They play some great covers, but not that one.  Cortez the Killer is up at the top along with Sledgehammer.  
    mrussel1 said:
    And they should retire Sweet Emotion.  They play some great covers, but not that one.  Cortez the Killer is up at the top along with Sledgehammer.  
    That's the first time I heard it so I have no idea that it was a sort of staple. I could live without ever hearing it again. Can't say that about most of their songs. 
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:

The rhythm of Everyday was first called #36 which made periodic appearances at shows.  It was certainly beloved.  There's a great version on Listener Supported as well.  Now the two songs have merged into one, thanks to the fans.  

I was at the 12.14 C'ville show.  It was really, really great.  They brought out a jazz band for That Girl is You.  You can hear them jamming out, but to see them was just amazing.  They were so much fun.  
    Thank you! It sounds so pretty when they first start the song and the audience immediately sings that - very enjoyable. I'm glad the fans got the two songs merged - they sound perfect together. I'll have to check out the Listener Supported version - that is at East Rutherford, NJ - I like that. :smile:

That sounds like an amazing concert, and seeing and experiencing it is definitely on a different plane than listening to it. But I'll take what I can get. A jazz band seems like a perfect fit for DMB as I think they are Jazz at their base. Extremely funky Jazz with a Jam Band vibe. 

Does DMB have videos of shows or do they just have audio. Did they allow taping or was that just audio and am I thinking of Phish. I'm getting old. 

I'll search youtube for fan videos of that show. I am guessing that the Charlotteville shows are always special, like Bruce playing in Giants Stadium. 

Thanks for the info.
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:

Thank you! It sounds so pretty when they first start the song and the audience immediately sings that - very enjoyable. I'm glad the fans got the two songs merged - they sound perfect together. I'll have to check out the Listener Supported version - that is at East Rutherford, NJ - I like that. :smile:

That sounds like an amazing concert, and seeing and experiencing it is definitely on a different plane than listening to it. But I'll take what I can get. A jazz band seems like a perfect fit for DMB as I think they are Jazz at their base. Extremely funky Jazz with a Jam Band vibe. 

Does DMB have videos of shows or do they just have audio. Did they allow taping or was that just audio and am I thinking of Phish. I'm getting old. 

I'll search youtube for fan videos of that show. I am guessing that the Charlotteville shows are always special, like Bruce playing in Giants Stadium. 

Thanks for the info.

There are some videos that the band has released. The band has always allowed taping.  Check out dreamingtree.org.  The Charlottesville shows are ok, but not as good as they should be..,  Some of my favorite shows are Red Rocks 1995 (available commercially), Yoshi's 5-10-95, any show from 1998 and 2002.  There are alot of great shows out there.  
    Here is a shameless promotion of my own concert recording from the rain shortened Bristow show last year.  For PJ, I do multi cam, but DMB is a bit harder to track down people with good cameras.  I have the whole cville show on video but haven't decided if I will edit or not.

https://youtu.be/gvJvMKyexGo
    kramer73 said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:
    njnancy said:

Thanks for the info.

There are some videos that the band has released. The band has always allowed taping.  Check out dreamingtree.org.  The Charlottesville shows are ok, but not as good as they should be..,  Some of my favorite shows are Red Rocks 1995 (available commercially), Yoshi's 5-10-95, any show from 1998 and 2002.  There are alot of great shows out there.  
    Yeah not always the best shows, but they tend to be near Christmas and the city always has a lovely vibe.  Plus you get the Christmas Song.  Any show at JPJ is enjoyable to me.  PJ in 13 there is still my favorite show of this particular era. It was crazy good. 

And go Hoos.
    @mrussel1 I have Recently digitally, but not Pumpkin. The only way I know to get it is on vinyl, which I have, but whenever I try to rip vinyl to my PC it sounds like dubbing a cassette tape back in the day.

@njnancy They have quite a few home video releases. Besides the ones available in stores, they have a quarterly Live Trax series on their website, and the last of the year usually contains video of whatever show they're releasing.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I reallly enjoy the Dave and Tim live at radio city Blu-ray.  Pretty awesome.  But like anytime you see dmb you just sorta want him to stop talking between songs 
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    edited April 2019
    thank you for all the info!! I have plenty of searching and discovering and enjoying to do. Much appreciated @disilluzion @mrussel1 and @kramer73

I'm gonna check out the easy to access one that was posted first and then I'll let you guys know if I'm finding the stuff you've suggested. 

@RoleModelsinBlood31 Radio City has my favorite version of So Damn Lucky (that I've found so far) and his explanation of the song before hand was just right - not too long and on topic and kinda cool.   It's nice when that happens. :smile:  

And shameless promotions are always welcome!!!!
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I reallly enjoy the Dave and Tim live at radio city Blu-ray.  Pretty awesome.  But like anytime you see dmb you just sorta want him to stop talking between songs 
    Totally agree! 
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • I actually think he speaks on a very limited basis (I've seen them over 20 times). I find him kind of funny when he does speak.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    I actually think he speaks on a very limited basis (I've seen them over 20 times). I find him kind of funny when he does speak.
    Yeah he's no EV
  • mrussel1 said:
    I actually think he speaks on a very limited basis (I've seen them over 20 times). I find him kind of funny when he does speak.
    Yeah he's no EV
    I left that part out lol.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    I got that band on right now!

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    Yeah I just meant that he’s always super goofy.  It’s just kinda weird to me that the music is so well crafted and beautiful and at some moments it brings me right back to the mid-late nineties as a young kid seeing them in all the craziness of adolescence.... and then he follows it up with some ridiculousness and weirdness....  I guess it’s a reality check between daydreams or something 

Yeah I just meant that he’s always super goofy.  It’s just kinda weird to me that the music is so well crafted and beautiful and at some moments it brings me right back to the mid-late nineties as a young kid seeing them in all the craziness of adolescence.... and then he follows it up with some ridiculousness and weirdness....  I guess it’s a reality check between daydreams or something 

He's absolutely a weird cat on stage.  I usually have no idea what he's saying. 
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited April 2019
    He’s entertaining himself and the band on stage. His quips are ‘inside jokes’ more often than not.

Watch the expressions of the band when he says his stuff. They’re all laughing. 

He’s kooky. But he’s awesome. He’s a humble superstar of rock in my opinion.
    He’s entertaining himself and the band on stage. His quips are ‘inside jokes’ more often than not.

Completely agree,  but I still don't understand it.  Especially when he speaks in "scat".

• mrussel1 said:

Completely agree,  but I still don't understand it.  Especially when he speaks in "scat".

A lot of times I have to ask the wife what he said. Many times she didn't understand either. I don't know if scat is meant to be understood lol.

Outside of the classics... "Thank you very much" and the "Are y'all havin' a good time"... he blurts some pretty funny things. He says random 'dumb' things like, "This song is about a smoothie" (which it isn't, but draws a laugh from the band for some inside reason).

I've never seen him ramble.

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I recently was in the Sixers lockerroom for something in the Wells Fargo center. The attendant also works the locker room for concerts and commented on my PJ shirt saying Ed is a nice guy. Unprompted, he then said Dave is the nicest star he has ever met, also mentioned that he isn’t even a fan of his music. 

Cool that a totally unbiased opinion felt he was as nice they get. Nice to hear that stuff. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    pjpitt89 said:
    I recently was in the Sixers lockerroom for something in the Wells Fargo center. The attendant also works the locker room for concerts and commented on my PJ shirt saying Ed is a nice guy. Unprompted, he then said Dave is the nicest star he has ever met, also mentioned that he isn’t even a fan of his music. 

Cool that a totally unbiased opinion felt he was as nice they get. Nice to hear that stuff. 
    Cool! I believe him 100%.  Interviews, stories, etc. all align with that story, he seems like a nice guy who enjoys his life.
  • Josh10376Josh10376 Posts: 75
    I can deal with Dave's weirdness for a few seconds a lot easier then one of Ed's 5 minutes of rambling in between songs. 
    Since we were talking about the C'ville show recently (and the free download), here's the highlight from that gig.  An amazing performance with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  It was definitely the best moment of a very good show.  Nice of them to release the official footage.  This is why I love DMB.. you don't a pair of axes to jam out.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7CRK5FRY_E
    mrussel1 said:
    Since we were talking about the C'ville show recently (and the free download), here's the highlight from that gig.  An amazing performance with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.  It was definitely the best moment of a very good show.  Nice of them to release the official footage.  This is why I love DMB.. you don't a pair of axes to jam out.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7CRK5FRY_E
    Thank you!

That was so much fun to watch. Carter was smiling the entire time and that trombone player is my favorite. Great version of that song!