A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    JK_Livin said:
    So my son asked me last night and I totally forget, where in the story line do the books end?
    It’s been a while since I read them, but I think right after Tyrion went on the lamb the series started to branch off from the book storyline.  It kind of followed the books but put their own spin on it. 
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    JK_Livin said:
    So my son asked me last night and I totally forget, where in the story line do the books end?

Jon stabbed, Dany off by herself with the dragon without having met Tyrion.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Thank you
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Just finished "Spoils of War" (S7 E4).

Very awesome battle and great to finally see the long-awaited dragon scorching a standing army scene.  The battle scenes in this show do not disappoint.  I am disappointed though that they glossed over the Battle of the Camps, which was the high point in Robb Stark's rebellion, and logistically a really cool rout that would have shined on-screen.
    The 4th and 5th books also split up the characters and kind of run concurrently 
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, after the third book (in the 4th season) the plot lines started to divert a bit from the books, although it seems the major plot points meet together where needed.

*spoilers through right now for both

Brienne's wanderings were completely different

Cersei's scheme to get margeary imprisoned was much more diabolical and set up by her, instead of persecuting gays and trying to lie about it.  Cersei was also much drunker and paranoid at this point up until her own imprisonment 

Jaime's travels were a bit more righteous and he and Cersei were kind of appalled by one another

Tommen was much more childish and threw up everywhere at Tywin's funeral because for some reason his corpse was rotting by the hour.

Jon Snow didnt go and save everyone at Hardhome and bring them back through the wall.  He cut a deal with Tormund to allow people through the wall and to populate the abandoned castles on the wall.  And he sent Samwell and Aemon to oldtown against sam's wishes because he didnt want Team Stannis to burn Aemon or Mance Rayder's kid who doesnt appear in the show.  Mance Rayder is also glammed into Rattleshirt and fake burned as Rattleshirt glammed to Mance (all by Melisandre) in order for him to go to Winterfell and rescue "Arya" from the Boltons, only Arya was really Jayne Poole pretending to be Arya so the Boltons can claim the North, (Jayne was Ned Starks' former Steward's daughter).... all of which the show writers merged into Sansa being there instead.

Also the Freys were all being killed gradually by Catelyn's reanimated corpse riding with the Brotherhood Without Banners and also by Wyman Manderly

Dany is still slogging in Meereen in both, although Barristan wasnt killed, and the battle in the fighting pits was much different and was basically just a dragon eating people while someone attempted and failed to poison Dany with a bowl of honeyed locusts

All sorts of other characters going to join the party in Meereen that the show writers were probably smart to consolidate (Quentyn, Prince Aegon, Jon Connington, and Victarion.)
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    So I just finished Season 7, Episode 5: Eastwatch.

For the first time, I am a bit unhappy with the writing.  The whole plot to go capture a Wight for Cersei seems unnecessary and a huge stretch on plausible thought.  And to risk like 9 major characters, including leaders of major factions (on foot nonetheless) is too much to suspend believeablily. Not to mention it would take a long time to get from Dragonstone to the wall, finish the expedition, travel back down to Kings Landing, then back up to Eastwatch.  We are talking years.  I dont let the 'teleportation' get to me too much, but this is awful.  When they get back to Kings Landing with a wight, Cersei better be breastfeeding.

And all rational thought would point toward Cersei not giving a fuck.  

And Cersei/Lannisters do not possess a standing army at this point so a cease fire seems pointless (and who/where would they even attack?)
    They could have flown the wight back via Air Dragon.  I guess I’m so used to fast travel in Skyrim. 
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    MayDay10 said:
    So I just finished Season 7, Episode 5: Eastwatch.

For the first time, I am a bit unhappy with the writing.  The whole plot to go capture a Wight for Cersei seems unnecessary and a huge stretch on plausible thought.  And to risk like 9 major characters, including leaders of major factions (on foot nonetheless) is too much to suspend believeablily. Not to mention it would take a long time to get from Dragonstone to the wall, finish the expedition, travel back down to Kings Landing, then back up to Eastwatch.  We are talking years.  I dont let the 'teleportation' get to me too much, but this is awful.  When they get back to Kings Landing with a wight, Cersei better be breastfeeding.

And all rational thought would point toward Cersei not giving a fuck.  

And Cersei/Lannisters do not possess a standing army at this point so a cease fire seems pointless (and who/where would they even attack?)
    Just like the books, that time in between scenes during the episodes, and in between whole episodes differs. Sometimes weeks have passed between different scenes. Just like it does in chapters of the books, sometimes much less.  Sometimes they take place at the same time. (But there are still some teleportation issues in the last two seasons). Doubt it would take years, by boat for that travel. Maybe months at best. I don't find it unreasonable that between the end of episode 6 and 7, one or two months passed.  And this has happened in the books, maybe even more so at times. I've always taken in that the end of summer into fall and then then winter on the show has taken maybe 5-6 years. In the books, with similar travel, they have covered roughly 3 years from what I have guessed. 

but yes, sending Jon north of the wall was a stretch. Could have sent another group. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, I understand with the 'teleportation', we cant have it stretched out like the first 3-4 seasons were with putting the travel adventures and camping 'on screen' and have this thing have 50 episodes to get through the last 2.5 seasons...  So far, to this point, I think you can make a case that time has passed with each teleportation.... at least enough of a case where it doesn't rip me out of being immersed in the story.

But they are in this urgent 'time' situation, and this was the big idea (presented by the most brilliant strategist in the story).  To travel up north, beyond the wall (on foot), back down again, and presumably back up again.... all just after introducing some "time sensitive" plot points of the Army of the Dead relentlessly marching down on Eastwatch, AND Cersei being pregnant.  

And the potential payoff of this plan doesn't seem to make any sense.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    MayDay10 said:
    Yeah, I understand with the 'teleportation', we cant have it stretched out like the first 3-4 seasons were with putting the travel adventures and camping 'on screen' and have this thing have 50 episodes to get through the last 2.5 seasons...  So far, to this point, I think you can make a case that time has passed with each teleportation.... at least enough of a case where it doesn't rip me out of being immersed in the story.

But they are in this urgent 'time' situation, and this was the big idea (presented by the most brilliant strategist in the story).  To travel up north, beyond the wall (on foot), back down again, and presumably back up again.... all just after introducing some "time sensitive" plot points of the Army of the Dead relentlessly marching down on Eastwatch, AND Cersei being pregnant.  

And the potential payoff of this plan doesn't seem to make any sense.
    I have more of an issue with how fast Dany travels on the dragons, that seems unrealistically fast. For a fantasy show about dragons and zombies. I'm not sure Cersei actually is pregnant either.
    Don't think it was a terrible plan to prove the undead are real to show a captured one.  Jon, the nightwatch, and the wildlings are basically the only people to have seen them.  But they could just have sent Tormund, Jorah, Baeric, and the Hound with some men to try and capture one. 

...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    The whole travel thing was really noticeable during season 7, but they did this quite often in other seasons as well.  It wasn't as glaringly noticeable.
    Oh well, it didn't really bother me. 
    edited April 2019
    I just finished watching last night.

I really thought it went off the rails in season 7, episodes 5 and 6.  One of the great things about this story is the logic, and how characters stay in their lanes.... and any poor decisions are based on those parameters (such as ned, robb, and jon's disposition of being 'honorable').  

I felt the whole mission to capture a wight was a very shaky premise with no real benefit.  Other than jon snow, who has a history of desiring to go past the wall and be the hero, nobody should have entertained the idea... and then to go out with no horses, dragonglass, or other equipment?  There are much better plans to be had, and when this was conceived, you had the world's brain trust in one room.  A cease fire doesnt even particularly make sense because the lannister army had been laid to waste... and cersei has zero credibility to start.

I also thought the battle itself was shaky, the whole stranded on the lake thing... and i know i would be using a burning thoros to warm myself, lol.  But these wights went from being pretty unstoppable without burning to exploding to pieces with a flick of a sword.  200 members of the night's watch were eviscerated by a fraction of the wights, fully equipped, and in a very strong defensive foothold.  These 8 men, are able to hold off 100k of these things, while exhausted, and being in a hopeless position.  

Add in a bit too much of the non-subtle 'humor' that you see in the superhero movie genre.  I had thought the show had lost itself.  I was eating out of their hand through s7 e4.

I did think the last episode brought everything back to earth a bit and i did enjoy it.  As a reader, a bit surprised to see littlefinger's arc end in such a whimper, but really, what else can he do at this point?  The breaching of the wall scene did not disappoint.  Liked the jon snow 'reveal', and its nice to see bran start to show purpose.  I did think the theon fight was funny, as he seems to draw powers from people trying to kick his nonexistent nut sack.

Very excited for season 8!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Sad to think there are only 6 episodes left buy cannot wait to see how they wrap it up!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    I’m over a buddy’s house
    wine n bud being consumed after a porterhouse dinner 

lets do this 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Damn, only five left
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    And a lot to wrap up. I thought these were all supposed to be longer episodes. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Yeah I was bummed about that when I saw it was an hour.
    Arya's dart thingy wins the day and she and Gendry end up on the throne.

JK

Beat scene from E1?
    The Tarly scene.  That was fucking great.  Great acting.
    The polar opposite of the Rescue scene.  Bad acting.  Bad scene.  Doesn't make a lot of fucking sense, at all.
    They must have spent a small fortune for that dragon scene.
    Out of all the bad situations this show has created, I think being in the group of survivors at the wall after seeing the kid pinwheel go up ... that would be an asshole of night, to say the least. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I kind of thought GOT jumped the shark at the dragon flying scene....but it redeemed itself.  Bran and Jamie is going to be interesting...and now Jon knows who his father is
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Agree that the flying scene was pretty lame.  About two - three minutes longer than it needed to be
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    This episode kind of reminded me of Star Wars Return of the Jedi
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Who was Floating Leia?
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited April 2019
    People have wanted to see Jon on a dragon ever since they confirmed his heritage. If he is going to ride one into battle, then he needed a practice run.

Also, he wouldn’t have known it but Jon was on the back of Rhaegal - the dragon that was named after his father.

The look on Jamie’s face when he saw Bran though. It was a real “Oh fuck” moment!
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    And a lot to wrap up. I thought these were all supposed to be longer episodes. 
    Yeah the first 2 episodes are an hour and then the last 4 episodes are all around 80 mins.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Bran is the worst.  Always just creepily sitting in the corner being all weird.  It would be really lame if he ended up on the throne....he has been the betting favorite for awhile now..
    I read an interview where he describes his character as creepy a few times.  Too funny.
    It would be odd to think he would be King....he doesn't consider himself a person any longer.