2023-2024 NHL Regular Season

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

He may be the best pure goal score since Mike Bossy?
    gotta give him a ton of credit for scoring 50 again this year. After winning the Cup last year and celebrating it as much as he did would have thought maybe a little down this year.  big effort to get 50 again.

as for the argument about pure scorer. remember Ovi is doing it in an era where very few players reach 50 goals anymore.  in fact he is the only one to do it the past 4 years.  During Bossy's run of 50 goal season in all but his first 2 50 goal seasons at least 5 other guys scored 50 with as many as 9 others doing it once in the same season.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

How do you make that argument when Gretzky has much better goal numbers than both.  Even Lemieux has better numbers.  And none of those guys are Putin stooges. 
    Mike Bossy had 573 career goals, if his career did not crash due to injuries he would have surpassed 750 goals.  Ovi has 658 career goals and shows no sign of letting up...5 more years averaging 40 goals he surpasses Gretzky.  

If if you had noticed, I said pure goal scorer.  No one is calling Wayne Gretzky a pure goaler ... and Gretzky would tell you In a heart beat that Ovechkin May very well be the greatest pure goal scorer ever...

i could care care a less about your feud with Putin.  You 2 need a room.
    1. Agree on Bossy with his numbers, and only 10 years or whatever, but you can't discount health or assume someone can continue a pace.
    2. Your math would leave Ovi short by about a season, excluding playoffs (where the gap widens).  But I think it's a stretch to think he can keep up the same production in the twilight of his career.  We shall see.
    3. I don't know what 'pure scorer' means.. if it means that he doesn't have comparable assists to Mario, Jagr or Wayne, then sure I'm with you there.  If it means he doesn't like to play defense, absolutely agree. To me, the stats are the stats.  Until he passes Wayne (or Jagr, or even Hull), I don't know how you call him the best scorer.  
    4. Why would I want to get a room with Putin, I hate the guy.  C'mon man, I have standards!  
    You do know that sports are subjective right?  These are just my opinions from watching the game for 40 years or so.  Ovechkin is also playing in an era where goal scoring is down for most everyone, but him.  What would Ovechkin numbers be if he played when Gretzky played? 1000 goals would have been impossible.  Ovi is at 658 ... Gretzky had 894 ... Ovi needs 236 to pass him.  I gave him 40 a season, he'll hit 50 a couple more times.  But, you see, he doesn't have to break Gretzky's record to be the greatest ... like I said, even Gretzky will say Ovi is a better goal scorer than him.  Just the fact that Ovi on his current pass should surpass Gretzky and play in an era of systems and defensive hockey and he is proven that no system can stop him.  When Gretzky retired, they claimed his records were untouchable...Ovi is within reach.  I hope he challenges the record, even breaks it...

I am not saying anything bad about Gretzky, but even Gretzky will be cheering Ovi if Ovi gets close, just like Gordie cheered Gretzky on when Gretzky broke his records...Ovi breaking the record will depend on him, he could retire at seasons end...but I doubt it.

A pure goal scorer is subjective as well.  Depends on how you want to define it.

I'll leave Bossy stand as is.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

How do you make that argument when Gretzky has much better goal numbers than both.  Even Lemieux has better numbers.  And none of those guys are Putin stooges. 
    Mike Bossy had 573 career goals, if his career did not crash due to injuries he would have surpassed 750 goals.  Ovi has 658 career goals and shows no sign of letting up...5 more years averaging 40 goals he surpasses Gretzky.  

If if you had noticed, I said pure goal scorer.  No one is calling Wayne Gretzky a pure goaler ... and Gretzky would tell you In a heart beat that Ovechkin May very well be the greatest pure goal scorer ever...

i could care care a less about your feud with Putin.  You 2 need a room.
    1. Agree on Bossy with his numbers, and only 10 years or whatever, but you can't discount health or assume someone can continue a pace.
    2. Your math would leave Ovi short by about a season, excluding playoffs (where the gap widens).  But I think it's a stretch to think he can keep up the same production in the twilight of his career.  We shall see.
    3. I don't know what 'pure scorer' means.. if it means that he doesn't have comparable assists to Mario, Jagr or Wayne, then sure I'm with you there.  If it means he doesn't like to play defense, absolutely agree. To me, the stats are the stats.  Until he passes Wayne (or Jagr, or even Hull), I don't know how you call him the best scorer.  
    4. Why would I want to get a room with Putin, I hate the guy.  C'mon man, I have standards!  
    You do know that sports are subjective right?  These are just my opinions from watching the game for 40 years or so.  Ovechkin is also playing in an era where goal scoring is down for most everyone, but him.  What would Ovechkin numbers be if he played when Gretzky played? 1000 goals would have been impossible.  Ovi is at 658 ... Gretzky had 894 ... Ovi needs 236 to pass him.  I gave him 40 a season, he'll hit 50 a couple more times.  But, you see, he doesn't have to break Gretzky's record to be the greatest ... like I said, even Gretzky will say Ovi is a better goal scorer than him.  Just the fact that Ovi on his current pass should surpass Gretzky and play in an era of systems and defensive hockey and he is proven that no system can stop him.  When Gretzky retired, they claimed his records were untouchable...Ovi is within reach.  I hope he challenges the record, even breaks it...

I am not saying anything bad about Gretzky, but even Gretzky will be cheering Ovi if Ovi gets close, just like Gordie cheered Gretzky on when Gretzky broke his records...Ovi breaking the record will depend on him, he could retire at seasons end...but I doubt it.

A pure goal scorer is subjective as well.  Depends on how you want to define it.

I'll leave Bossy stand as is.

Of course it's subjective, that's why I'm counter arguing it.  

edited April 2019
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    If only Super Mario could have stayed healthy. So many points and played in so many less games than everyone else. 

I'd say Ovi is in the argument of best goal scorers of all time. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    If only Super Mario could have stayed healthy. So many points and played in so many less games than everyone else. 

I'd say Ovi is in the argument of best goal scorers of all time. 
    Mario might be the all-time goal and points leader.  But I in no way feel sorry for Mario and his injuries.  A dude as big as was, he got pushed around way to easy...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    edited April 2019
    Yep, we all know only pussies get sidelined by Hodgkin's and Adam Graves.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    :lol:  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited April 2019
    I hit on Carolina in the playoffs, just missed on Arizona.

Huge whiffs include the Islanders in last place and Vegas finishing pretty low.  

MayDay10 said:
    Tampa - 1
    Leafs - 2 
    Bruins - 3
    Sabres
    Panthers
    Red Wings
    Habs
    Senators

Washington - 1
    Columbus - 2
    Pittsburgh - 3
    Philadelphia - WC
    Carolina - WC
    Devils
    Rangers
    Islanders

Blues - 1
    Predators - 2
    Avalanche - 3
    Jets - WC
    Stars (only dont get the WC because division is a bear)
    Blackhawks
    Wild

Sharks - 1
    Oilers - 2
    Flames - 3
    Coyotes - WC
    Ducks
    Kings
    Vegas
    Canucks

Conference Finals
    Predators beat Sharks
    Tampa beats Pittsburgh

Predators beat Tampa for cup

Hart Trophy - McDavid
    Vezina - Bobrovski
    Norris - Ellis
    Calder - Svechnikov

Playoffs day, time for some hardcore pucking!  Five match-ups tonight, and outside of the Bolts/BJs, they could all be close series.  Let's Go Pens, end the drought!
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
    Yep, we all know only pussies get sidelined by Hodgkin's and Adam Graves.
    What the fuck are you talking about?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Hopefully, Tampa sweeps Columbus and their punk head coach...

Give Peas A Chance…

You hate Torts?  He is kind of a lunatic. 
    mrussel1 said:

Got no use for the bum...he is overrated garbage...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:

Won a cup for the Bolts...
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, Babcock has won a cup, I consider him a little over-rated as well.  I'm not that familiar with Tampa team when torts were there.  Was that his team, or did he was he hired into a great situation. I always thoughts Babs is smart in knowing when to position himself and move on,  he saw Detroit on the downward spiral and saw Toronto with some good young talent and I think he knew a number 1 pick was coming.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Well, Babcock has won a cup, I consider him a little over-rated as well.  I'm not that familiar with Tampa team when torts were there.  Was that his team, or did he was he hired into a great situation. I always thoughts Babs is smart in knowing when to position himself and move on,  he saw Detroit on the downward spiral and saw Toronto with some good young talent and I think he knew a number 1 pick was coming.  
    He was hired in 2000 and they were terrible.  They soon got Lecavalier, Richards,  St Louis and the rest of that crew.  Andreychuk and Khabibulen really were the ones that put them over the top.  He was a tough coach and preached accountability.  That was needed with the young team.  The message wore thin after the cup. He was good for us for that window but the style is grating I'm sure.  I hear he has softened up,  not sure that's true.  

I think Babcock walked into a much better situation. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    This is the part of the season where my favorite team is "anyone but Pittsburgh" :lol:
    This is the part of the season where my favorite team is "anyone but Pittsburgh" :lol:
    I'd love to see the Leafs win it. If not them then Winnipeg or Calgary. it's time for Canada to take the Cup back. Would make me kind of sick if Tampa wins their 2...or as many Cups as the Flyers have.
    God I love the first round.  It's like 10 days of hockey bombarding you from all angles.  Reminds me of the Thursday Friday of the first round of the NCAA tourney. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

He was hired in 2000 and they were terrible.  They soon got Lecavalier, Richards,  St Louis and the rest of that crew.  Andreychuk and Khabibulen really were the ones that put them over the top.  He was a tough coach and preached accountability.  That was needed with the young team.  The message wore thin after the cup. He was good for us for that window but the style is grating I'm sure.  I hear he has softened up,  not sure that's true.  

I think Babcock walked into a much better situation. 
    That's a big part of any championship is having talented players.  Can not see anyone defeating the bolts this year, but that's why they play the game.  Babs is smart that way, he picks good situations to be in...however, I suspect a short playoff run from Toronto and the fans will start to grow restless in Toronto...I want to see if he can manage Mathews...he has had a run in or 2 with him already.

No Canadian team is winning the cup this year.  

Give Peas A Chance…
    Tampa, Tampa...what happened.  You need to bring the cup home for Stevie Y...might be his last playoff in Tampa.  Hopefully, Stevie Y is headed back to Detroit this off-season.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    =)   I figure I should enjoy this as long as possible, as soon enough the Pens will be in the cellar and I'll be praying to make the playoffs again.  Until then: hate on!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Great start for the Islanders last night what a game ! Can’t wait for tomorrow night..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    turned on the Islanders Penguins game

offsides challenge 30 seconds in

turned off the game and did other things
    Tampa, Tampa...what happened.  You need to bring the cup home for Stevie Y...might be his last playoff in Tampa.  Hopefully, Stevie Y is headed back to Detroit this off-season.
    Phoned it in after the first.  Columbus has been playing meaningful hockey for weeks.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Phoned it in after the first.  Columbus has been playing meaningful hockey for weeks.  
    Need to win the next one, or another president trophy winner could be headed to an early exit.  I hope not, Stevie Y did a great job building that team...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Great start for the Islanders last night what a game ! Can’t wait for tomorrow night..
    It was.  The Islanders will win the series.  Pittsburgh is moving past its prime...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    mrussel1 said:
    Need to win the next one, or another president trophy winner could be headed to an early exit.  I hope not, Stevie Y did a great job building that team...
    tampa wins the next 4
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tampa wins the next 4
      I hope.  I'd like to see a Stevie Y built team capture the Cup, then he can return to Detroit...
    Give Peas A Chance…