VPNs... what is there to know?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
edited July 2016 in Technical Stuff and Help
So I only recently even became aware of VPNs (because of the fury around Netflix's VPN crack down). I since learned that it's safer to use one. Keeps your private info safe, often protects from malware, makes public hotspots safe, allows content from other regions that is usually blocked (Netflix now excluded), makes it so that your illegal online activity can't be tracked, lol (i do use Kodi addons sometimes and am not sure what's legal or not, so got a bit paranoid about that). I finally have downloaded a paid VPN service (Hotspot Shield Elite, because it seemed the simplest one with a decent rating). $5.29/month or something. I tried the ad-supported free option first. I dunno. Got sick of the ads I guess. Anyway, is there anything I should know about VPNs? Any much better options than the one I chose? I have noticed that I have to turn the VPN protection off sometimes to make some things load, or load faster than a snail. I have read this is to be expected with all VPNs (some worse than others - supposedly mine is better than most in that regard. I can still stream most stuff okay). Also, the VPN seems to block Chromecast, and that does suck, since I want to screen cast some of the content that I basically got the VPN for. Anything to be done about that?
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    I knew it......sneaky Canadian.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474

I knew it......sneaky Canadian.

It was you who actually made me get VPN, lol. When you suggested I might have seen Clown illegally I started worrying that you were right and got paranoid. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I've been using a Free VPN, but i'm looking into buying one. Any suggestions? 
    cutz said:
    Hi Jim! I would just google "Best VPN", and you'll find a list of the ones ranked the best by technical mags and stuff. Those kinds of lists are trustworthy, as long as you make sure it's not a sponsored one (they should be marked if they're sponsored).
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    Hi Jim! I would just google "Best VPN", and you'll find a list of the ones ranked the best by technical mags and stuff. Those kinds of lists are trustworthy, as long as you make sure it's not a sponsored one (they should be marked if they're sponsored).
    Hello Alli !

I thought about doing that, but i was hoping to get some feedback from what some VPNs people are using right now.

Sponsored?

Thanks for that suggestion.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I use Cisco AnyConnect for work. No issues. No key fob. I can dig it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    cutz said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    Hello Alli !

I thought about doing that, but i was hoping to get some feedback from what some VPNs people are using right now.

Sponsored?

It's a good question that I can't currently answer just because I went back to using a free one (FlashVPN). But I would like to buy one that is a one-time payment and not a monthly or annual cost. Not sure if those exist or not?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    Hello Alli !

Sponsored?

It's a good question that I can't currently answer just because I went back to using a free one (FlashVPN). But I would like to buy one that is a one-time payment and not a monthly or annual cost. Not sure if those exist or not?
    I've actually been looking in to getting one myself. In the past 3 months, my Hulu, Twitch, Amazon Prime, & Walmart.com accounts have all been hacked with unknown logins.  Thankfully no random purchases have been made and no bank info has been stolen but it's prompted me to look into a more secure connection for my devices.  I also downloaded a couple albums on BitLord last week and I'm pretty sure my ISP throttled me about halfway through them.  I've only done a little bit of research so far but I have seen a couple VPN's that are offering some pretty decent deals like $1.99/2.99 a month (but you make a one time payment good for 2-3 years of service).  I do need to sit down for a while and dig deeper into the types of security & service offered and figure out what the best bang for the buck is.
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    Hello Alli !

Sponsored?

I've actually been looking in to getting one myself. In the past 3 months, my Hulu, Twitch, Amazon Prime, & Walmart.com accounts have all been hacked with unknown logins.  Thankfully no random purchases have been made and no bank info has been stolen but it's prompted me to look into a more secure connection for my devices.  I also downloaded a couple albums on BitLord last week and I'm pretty sure my ISP throttled me about halfway through them.  I've only done a little bit of research so far but I have seen a couple VPN's that are offering some pretty decent deals like $1.99/2.99 a month (but you make a one time payment good for 2-3 years of service).  I do need to sit down for a while and dig deeper into the types of security & service offered and figure out what the best bang for the buck is.
    Yeah, i don't think i want one where you have to pay every month.

Wow, all of those accounts got hacked. That sucks, but at least nothing has happened with you bank info. I DL Torrents too and that's why i'm looking into a VPN, but i'm low-tech so i thought i asked here about them.

Wouldn't you think with the technology they would have a better protection for our info/privacy?  
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I am almost certain that you get a VPN included with most security software packages. I haven't set mine up yet - but I know that Norton 360 has a VPN, I just haven't done the homework on it. So that might be an option depending on what security you have on your internet. 

If and when I know more, I will post about  it. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    cutz said:
    You are not happy with Hola??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    No, i got a Google pop-up with a warning that Hola & SetUp VPNs i was using , could be taking over my computer.  So i figure i should buy a real one as i would assume i wouldn't have to worry about "something" happening to my computer.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,415
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    No, i got a Google pop-up with a warning that Hola & SetUp VPNs i was using , could be taking over my computer.  So i figure i should buy a real one as i would assume i wouldn't have to worry about "something" happening to my computer.
    Wired..do you use it often??
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    I'm leery of "lifetime" subscriptions because that could mean different things to different companies.  I'd also hate the throw money at something and have them go kaput or their software stop being supported after X years or just not be happy with the service and be stuck with it.  Most highly rated services seem to offer 1-2-3 year subscriptions which gives me a little more peace of mind.  If when that term is up & the company is still thriving, I can always re-up.  I haven't really looked much more into it, but I'd like to see if anyone offers 10-15-30 day trials to see if it works well and covers my needs before deciding to buy.
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    No, i don't use them that often.  Now i don't use them at all and that's why i'm looking to buy a real VPN that's more secure.

Thanks for that info, Alli. But, not sure i want to commit to a Lifetime VPN for the reasons Dyer bought up. I'll check them out anyway.

I think i saw some that have a 30 Day Trial, but now i can't remember which ones.

Thanks for the feedback.
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    No, i don't use them that often.  Now i don't use them at all and that's why i'm looking to buy a real VPN that's more secure.

Thanks for that info, Alli. But, not sure i want to commit to a Lifetime VPN for the reasons Dyer bought up. I'll check them out anyway.

I think i saw some that have a 30 Day Trial, but now i can't remember which ones.

Thanks for the feedback.
    I get a VPN with my Norton subscription - I just checked today (and also found out that I've got info on the dark web, yay).  That's a one year commitment but of all the things that I've researched, I have never really looked into why I would want to use a VPN. But I have one available if I wish to create it. 

So tell me why I want a VPN??? One less thing to research on CNET.
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:

Thanks for the feedback.
    I get a VPN with my Norton subscription - I just checked today (and also found out that I've got info on the dark web, yay).  That's a one year commitment but of all the things that I've researched, I have never really looked into why I would want to use a VPN. But I have one available if I wish to create it. 

Here's a really good, in-depth article:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:
    cutz said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a really good, in-depth article:
    Thank you very much! I appreciate you finding a good article for me.