VPNs... what is there to know?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 44,684
edited July 2016 in Technical Stuff and Help
So I only recently even became aware of VPNs (because of the fury around Netflix's VPN crack down). I since learned that it's safer to use one. Keeps your private info safe, often protects from malware, makes public hotspots safe, allows content from other regions that is usually blocked (Netflix now excluded), makes it so that your illegal online activity can't be tracked, lol (i do use Kodi addons sometimes and am not sure what's legal or not, so got a bit paranoid about that). I finally have downloaded a paid VPN service (Hotspot Shield Elite, because it seemed the simplest one with a decent rating). $5.29/month or something. I tried the ad-supported free option first. I dunno. Got sick of the ads I guess. Anyway, is there anything I should know about VPNs? Any much better options than the one I chose? I have noticed that I have to turn the VPN protection off sometimes to make some things load, or load faster than a snail. I have read this is to be expected with all VPNs (some worse than others - supposedly mine is better than most in that regard. I can still stream most stuff okay). Also, the VPN seems to block Chromecast, and that does suck, since I want to screen cast some of the content that I basically got the VPN for. Anything to be done about that?
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,026
    I knew it......sneaky Canadian.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 44,684

I knew it......sneaky Canadian.

It was you who actually made me get VPN, lol. When you suggested I might have seen Clown illegally I started worrying that you were right and got paranoid. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata