Latest update from Mike on new Pearl Jam music

Comments

• Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    I'm fine with a long layoff, I need to recharge my enthusiasm for this band.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    Wma31394 said:
    I kinda feel the same way. The two-year gap between seeing them in 2016 and then again 2018 was actually the longest gap I've had since between 2000 and 2003, and it was a good thing. I hate to admit it, but there were times during the shows I saw from 2013-2016 where I thought "I might be over this." Even Boston 2018 was more about me and three of my high-school friends who are spread out across the country meeting up in Boston than it was about the shows. The shows were great, but they're more of a vacation/thing to do than the mind-blowing musical experience they were in my late teens and early 20's. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    davidos said:
    The band has never been transparent with the fans as far as when they are working on new music, forthcoming releases, etc. It's always been a BIG secret... that part has been maddening for me... I'm sure it's a strategy or something but after 25 years it's time to give it a rest....

Forthcoming, lol.
    Yeah, I have no idea what is up with the band anymore. It does seem that the band is constantly creating and Ed keeps doing the same old thing. Who knows what the reasons are. One is probably his voice just cant handle heavy touring commitments. Solo shows are probably a lot easier on his voice. All I know is that i heard Help! this morning from a 2018 show and it didnt sound good. Voice was really weak sounding. With that said I will still be a fan forever. Things change. When I was younger I would never imagine i would go months without hanging with my buds but that's how it is for us now. All married with kids and our own lives. The band is the same im sure.

I believe you nailed it with his voice. There is only so much abuse his voice can handle singing PJs music. I expect that it will be rationed in smaller and smaller PJ doses in the future.
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 270
    Wma31394 said:
    I kinda feel the same way. The two-year gap between seeing them in 2016 and then again 2018 was actually the longest gap I've had since between 2000 and 2003, and it was a good thing. I hate to admit it, but there were times during the shows I saw from 2013-2016 where I thought "I might be over this." Even Boston 2018 was more about me and three of my high-school friends who are spread out across the country meeting up in Boston than it was about the shows. The shows were great, but they're more of a vacation/thing to do than the mind-blowing musical experience they were in my late teens and early 20's. 
    I relate. There was a point during the Lexington show where I actually thought, "One show was probably enough" after I'd seen them in Greenville. And man I felt real guilt about that. I love them. They've been family since I was a kid at the very beginning. But the days of blind fandom are over for me. Great music. Great shows. Great memories. But I guess absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder.
  • reyrey Monmouth County, NJ Posts: 270
    edited March 2019
    davidos said:
    The band has never been transparent with the fans as far as when they are working on new music, forthcoming releases, etc. It's always been a BIG secret... that part has been maddening for me... I'm sure it's a strategy or something but after 25 years it's time to give it a rest....
    Forthcoming, lol.

Are other bands transparent with the fans when working on new music? ?  Making new music is creating art and I don't really think a timetable can be put on it.  I certainly don't expect bands to announce "ok, we're halfway done with the new album", or "just two more songs to finalize and we're done".  When you're making art, anything can happen to derail the process or also make it go faster.  By nature it's unpredictable. Just because you have the band booked with some time together in the studio, there is certainly never a guarantee that this will result in anything being completed. 

Where PJ went wrong (in my opinion) is by saying that CDM was from their forthcoming new album.  It still very well may be, but I think most fans assume a forthcoming new album will be released in less than a year.  When it's not, you can't help but wonder what happened.

Post edited by rey on
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

Are other bands transparent with the fans when working on new music? ?  Making new music is creating art and I don't really think a timetable can be put on it.  I certainly don't expect bands to announce "ok, we're halfway done with the new album", or "just two more songs to finalize and we're done".  When you're making art, anything can happen to derail the process or also make it go faster.  By nature it's unpredictable. Just because you have the band booked with some time together in the studio, there is certainly never a guarantee that this will result in anything being completed. 

Where PJ went wrong (in my opinion) is by saying that CDM was from their forthcoming new album.  It still very well may be, but I think most fans assume a forthcoming new album will be released in less than a year.  When it's not, you can't help but wonder what happened.

Other bands do it all the time
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

I think we are in agreement regarding your bolded words. My "lol" above is meant as a tease. At this point it's important to laugh and learn. 

Its not just the carelessness with the "forthcoming" announcement. They know their fans are loyal fanatics. They know their fans have been drooling for a new album after five years with none.

Comparing to other bands just is not fair. My opinion is there is anxiety among some fans because Pearl Jam has decided to take it much much slower than their contemporaries, while trying to appear as an "active" band. When there is much less output, fans seen to want "something, anything" more.

edited March 2019
    ^^Regarding their "big 3" contemporaries, Metallica over the past five years (starting backwards from 2019 or 2018 depending on the band schedules) has the lightest touring at about 180 shows.

The Foos did 240 and U2 did 230.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder 

Edit, of course there is always Tool ;-)
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    edited March 2019
    I always found comfort in the fact that when PJ decided to slow down i would still have MMJ.  Now its seeming they are both closing shop
    bummer
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,873
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

Yep. Pretty much all of the time. All of the time. At least now we know that a new PJ album ain't coming any time soon. Everyone can unclinch now, until the next poster related drop.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Wma31394 said:
    makes sense...I like to think that they are taking their time to put out a great new album rather than rushing to get something in our hands because it's been "six years" or whatever it's been.

My fear is that Eddie wants a break from the band.  Why would Mike/Jeff, etc. be so openly clueless as to what their schedule is?  Why is Eddie going on tour in Europe?  Obviously Ed isn't ready to sit at home.

Oh well....I've got tix to Beck, Tool, etc.  I wasn't that impressed with the baseball field shows....just not ideal spots.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

Yep. Pretty much all of the time. All of the time. At least now we know that a new PJ album ain't coming any time soon. Everyone can unclinch now, until the next poster related drop.

I agree bands say "we are working on new album" or "we expect one out this year," but I cannot recall a band releasing a new single from a "forthcoming album" which does not exist. Maybe it's my bad memory?

I'd be interested in reading similar press releases as CDM.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    kaw753 said:
    Does anyone know if the Black Keys are looking for a long term meaningful relationship? 42 year old hoodie wearing male seeks expensive posters and trips to Europe.
    This is one of the best things I've ever read here.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

I agree bands say "we are working on new album" or "we expect one out this year," but I cannot recall a band releasing a new single from a "forthcoming album" which does not exist. Maybe it's my bad memory?

No, I don't think I've ever seen this happen... closest has been Ryan Adams having to cancel his truly forthcoming album after that scandal broke. He had already released a single for it, and now no album. I'm going to go ahead and assume that kind of thing is not the problem with PJ, lol. I really feel like something happened after Can't Deny Me so that any plans for recording a new album were scrapped/delayed indefinitely. I will be surprised if we ever find out why. What I'm wonder is how in the world Can't Deny Me even got recorded. What did they do, just get together for one day while they were all in Seattle and record it, and that was the end of their work on a new album for some mysterious reason? It's weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    PJ_Soul said:
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

No, I don't think I've ever seen this happen... closest has been Ryan Adams having to cancel his truly forthcoming album after that scandal broke. He had already released a single for it, and now no album. I'm going to go ahead and assume that kind of thing is not the problem with PJ, lol. I really feel like something happened after Can't Deny Me so that any plans for recording a new album were scrapped/delayed indefinitely. I will be surprised if we ever find out why. What I'm wonder is how in the world Can't Deny Me even got recorded. What did they do, just get together for one day while they were all in Seattle and record it, and that was the end of their work on a new album for some mysterious reason? It's weird.
    Zach de la Rocha released a single called "Digging for Windows" a few years ago ahead of an album that has yet to come to fruition. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

Zach de la Rocha released a single called "Digging for Windows" a few years ago ahead of an album that has yet to come to fruition. 

Interesting. For many years, perhaps Chinese Democracy would be another example, although I can't recall if they ever had a formal press release about a forthcoming album.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rey said:
    davidos said:
    Forthcoming, lol.

That is kind of how I think about it, but have been unable to articulate as well as you did.

They recorded together, released a song, were prepping for a big tour, and it seemed like all engines were about to fire in a big way. Tour,
    break, album, break , world tour.

Then nothing, except for some very confusing and bleak interviews in RS, which don't seem to correlate to the CDM 2018 optimism.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    You think maybe they ready to come out guns blazing and right before they did, some body showed up and denied them. They’d have some serious egg on their face after all that bluster.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943

Yeah, I have no idea what is up with the band anymore. It does seem that the band is constantly creating and Ed keeps doing the same old thing. Who knows what the reasons are. One is probably his voice just cant handle heavy touring commitments. Solo shows are probably a lot easier on his voice. All I know is that i heard Help! this morning from a 2018 show and it didnt sound good. Voice was really weak sounding. With that said I will still be a fan forever. Things change. When I was younger I would never imagine i would go months without hanging with my buds but that's how it is for us now. All married with kids and our own lives. The band is the same im sure.
    I don't think anything from the Euro leg of the 2018 tour should be used for our argument purposes.   Eddie was pretty sick that whole leg of the tour and it impact his voice.  So much that they postponed a show.    He struggled with the ailment through most of that tour.  By the time they came back to Seattle he was better and sounded great.  I thought the cover of Help! from Seattle I was amazing.   I'm guessing the one you heard was from the plagued Euro tour.    That's got to be rough.   You only play so many shows and you get a cold or whatever it was right at the beginning of something that needs to be planned months in advance.   That's bad luck :angry:

I think he's still got years left in him.   They don't want to over due and the way they've been spacing out North America dates the last while, seems to be good.    If they're going to play 3 hour sets, let him have a day of rest after each one (sometimes more).
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,651
    Seattle 2 was great. One of the funnest shows that I’ve been to. Seen them 30+ times. I do think a new record would be nice but assuming what’s going on with them is dangerous. Let them create and I’m sure they won’t disappoint. I just want my holiday vinyl from 3 years ago that they charged me for but haven’t provided. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    Update from Mike on Pearl Jam @ the 32:48 mark.

They are writing songs for the new record! They got a bunch of songs ready to go.

=)

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    demetrios said:
    Update from Mike on Pearl Jam @ the 32:48 mark.

They are writing songs for the new record! They got a bunch of songs ready to go.

=)

Nice...
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
     B) 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    PJNB said:

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    demetrios said:
    PJNB said:

• given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    #Hope2019
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Hell yes!
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,840
    Well that flys in the face of other recent band member comments
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14