• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Without Love
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Unless there's a song or two that got a lot of airplay, I don't know a single song on this record or any other Bon Bon Jovi's so I've gotta sit this one out.  (Wasn't he in a movie or two?)
    I can't imagine that it's possible you don't know at least a couple of songs on this record. There are at least 3 that got insane airplay, and you still hear them come up here and there on a regular basis. Mega hits.
    Please tell me what they are and I'll YouTube them for my Bonification... I mean, edification.  :smile:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

:)
    Thank you!

After giving them a listen, here's my recollection (or lack there of):

"You Give Love a Bad Name":  Sounds very vaguely familiar.  To my ears, sounds very formulaic. 
    "Livin' On a Prayer":  Not even vaguely familiar.  Is that a Talk Box in the background or someone in the bathroom heaving?
    "Wanted Dead or Alive":  Nope, not familiar.  I liked this one a bit- especially the intro-  but the video with all the limos and Big Hair and private Lear jets killed it for me.

Sorry, but if all the music in the world suddenly disappeared save this one record, I would probably have to shoot myself.  :lol:

Edit:  By the way, as always, I don't mean to disparage this music.  I never call anything "bad music".  I know a lot of people must love this record and if it makes them happy, that's cool by me! 
    I can't fathom how anyone could not know these songs! :i_dunno:
    I get it!  Funny thing is, I've said that  a million times myself when, for instance, someone says they've never heard You're Living All Over Me or even know who the hell Dinosaur Jr is.  I'm thinking, oh my god!  You must! 

And then it happens to myself when, like tonight, I put on a record I recently came across that I'd never heard before- specifically tonight, a copy of SVT's Extended Play.  A few seconds into the first cut I'm already there.  As it's title says, it's an EP and not all the songs work so well but the few that do are di-no-mite.  And Jack Cassidy is in the band!  How did I never hear this before! 

There is
    so
    much
    music.
    Wanted Dead or Alive has, to me, one of the greatest lyrics ever written in "I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all".

Very powerful.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Without Love
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Unless there's a song or two that got a lot of airplay, I don't know a single song on this record or any other Bon Bon Jovi's so I've gotta sit this one out.  (Wasn't he in a movie or two?)
    I can't imagine that it's possible you don't know at least a couple of songs on this record. There are at least 3 that got insane airplay, and you still hear them come up here and there on a regular basis. Mega hits.
    Please tell me what they are and I'll YouTube them for my Bonification... I mean, edification.  :smile:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

"You Give Love a Bad Name":  Sounds very vaguely familiar.  To my ears, sounds very formulaic. 
    "Livin' On a Prayer":  Not even vaguely familiar.  Is that a Talk Box in the background or someone in the bathroom heaving?
    "Wanted Dead or Alive":  Nope, not familiar.  I liked this one a bit- especially the intro-  but the video with all the limos and Big Hair and private Lear jets killed it for me.

Sorry, but if all the music in the world suddenly disappeared save this one record, I would probably have to shoot myself.  :lol:

Edit:  By the way, as always, I don't mean to disparage this music.  I never call anything "bad music".  I know a lot of people must love this record and if it makes them happy, that's cool by me! 
    I get it!  Funny thing is, I've said that  a million times myself when, for instance, someone says they've never heard You're Living All Over Me or even know who the hell Dinosaur Jr is.  I'm thinking, oh my god!  You must! 

And then it happens to myself when, like tonight, I put on a record I recently came across that I'd never heard before- specifically tonight, a copy of SVT's Extended Play.  A few seconds into the first cut I'm already there.  As it's title says, it's an EP and not all the songs work so well but the few that do are di-no-mite.  And Jack Cassidy is in the band!  How did I never hear this before! 

There is
    so
    much
    music.
    Wanted Dead or Alive has, to me, one of the greatest lyrics ever written in "I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all".

Very powerful.
    Indeed, overall just a great song about life on the road.

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Social Disease
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

There is
    so
    much
    music.

Very powerful.

Not a fan of this album but that line in the song, yes.
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Livin' On A Prayer
     Not a fan of this album but I am slippery when wet
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Without Love
    ed243421 said:
     Not a fan of this album but I am slippery when wet
    Moist ACinderella Story GIF - Moist ACinderellaStory Cookies GIFs
    Without Love
    Better album cover

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Without Love
    @Hobbes broke the Internet. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Without Love
    dankind said:
    It's a skill. 

Suck it, Kim.

Social Disease
    Hobbes said:
    dankind said:
    It's a skill. 

Suck it, Kim.

I've never seen this pic before.  This is pure gold!
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    Without Love
    This album is a classic of 6th grade!  Definitely front-loaded with all the hits. 
    Without Love
    This album is a classic of 6th grade!  Definitely front-loaded with all the hits. 
    I recall fondly the memory of slow dancing at a Middle School mixer to "Never Say Goodbye". I too was front-loaded.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Livin' On A Prayer
    Hobbes said:
    I recall fondly the memory of slow dancing at a Middle School mixer to "Never Say Goodbye". I too was front-loaded.
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Without Love

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Livin' On A Prayer

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Without Love

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I'd Die For You
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

You must have been living in caves or something back in 1987 Brian! ;) FWIW, I think a huge part of liking this album is about nostalgia. Me, I was 11 years old when this album came out, and I had a poster for it up on my bedroom wall, and me and all my pre-teen friends were in love with various guys in the band, lol. Memories play a huge role when it comes to enjoying old music. ;) But I also think that at least Wanted Dead or Alive is a really good song even without the nostalgia factor.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    I'll just pick the winner: Wanted Dead Or Alive
    Living on a Prayer might have something to say about that
    I guess.

Don't care for the album so i'm just picking the song i think may win.

LOL>I know, but that's how this album works for me.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

You must have been living in caves or something back in 1987 Brian! ;) FWIW, I think a huge part of liking this album is about nostalgia. Me, I was 11 years old when this album came out, and I had a poster for it up on my bedroom wall, and me and all my pre-teen friends were in love with various guys in the band, lol. Memories play a huge role when it comes to enjoying old music. ;) But I also think that at least Wanted Dead or Alive is a really good song even without the nostalgia factor.
    1987 was my last year trying to make it in Silicon Valley.  I have no doubt Bon Jovi and the like was being played everywhere in that environment during that burgeoning era of new computer technology and life in the fast lane.  But I was sick of that scene and plotting my escape (so-to-speak) so pretty much ignored all the popular stuff going on around me.  As far as music goes in that period of time, I was seeking out stuff that was as far from the center as possible.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Livin' On A Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive is responsible for MTV Unplugged.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I'd Die For You
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

1987 was my last year trying to make it in Silicon Valley.  I have no doubt Bon Jovi and the like was being played everywhere in that environment during that burgeoning era of new computer technology and life in the fast lane.  But I was sick of that scene and plotting my escape (so-to-speak) so pretty much ignored all the popular stuff going on around me.  As far as music goes in that period of time, I was seeking out stuff that was as far from the center as possible.
    I'm an idiot, lol. Okay, so Slippery When Wet, the album we were talking about, was actually released in 1986. I was talking about INXS Kick by accident, because I just bought that album and it was on my mind. That was the band I was feeling nostalgic about, hahaha. Sorry! But my point totally still applies to this Bon Jovi album, lol. Except I was never in love with Bon Jovi, and never had a poster of him in my room. :lol: I did love those hit songs though. They were everywhere, when I was 10. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Even though for reasons unknown to me I just cant stand this band. They're very good but for some reason they itch my ear the wrong way. That said, Wanted Dead Or Alive is the ONE song done by BJ I'm proud to listen and watch.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Social Disease
    Poncier said:
    Wanted Dead or Alive is responsible for MTV Unplugged.
    I thought it was 5 man acoustical jam?!?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Another band I never got into only know the two hits , will pass on this one too 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Livin' On A Prayer
    I will take 2 hits and pass, too!!
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Without Love
    ed243421 said:
    I will take 2 hits and pass, too!!
    https://youtu.be/SwK6xYTdd3k
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Without Love
    This one ends tomorrow evening. Looks to be close for the 3rd place elimination.
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    Without Love
    Ahhh the 80’s when every guitarist was trying to be Van Halen. An album I can definitely picture Bobby Kraft listening to on his way to the Orchid Spa. I like how early in the album, “love is a social disease” and three songs later, “nothing else feels right without love”. 

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wild In The Streets
    I know 5 out of 10 offhand. Listening to the album now and then I'll vote. Least favorite out of the five I know is probably I'd Die For You.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    Wild In The Streets
    I just listened to the entire album and it's all coming back to me now. There are some fun songs on that album! My oldest (by 6 years) sister Stacie introduced me to some amazing music and also tortured me with music as well. Not saying Bon Jovi was torture but the way she overplayed it and worshiped Jon Bon was just sooo much. She also always switched the tv channel from Heathcliff to General Hospital. Grrrr :anguished:

I hope Dead or Alive wins!
This discussion has been closed.