Poll--The Weakest Link: Bon Jovi's 'Slippery When Wet' Round 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
We have crowned our 4th Champion and now will move onto another critically acclaimed album.
'Back In Black' Champion - Hells Bells
'Led Zeppelin IV' Champion - When the Levee Breaks
'Second Helping' Champion - The Needle and the Spoon
'Sports' Champion - The Heart Of Rock & Roll

We will play this time to determine the GREATEST song on the album 'Slippery When Wet' by Bon Jovi
For anyone new to the game:
You are going to pick the song that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 3 days I remove the three (3) songs with the most votes.
We will then move on to Round 2. - Remember you are voting to eliminate songs from contention.

Lets have fun with this. Remember debating and discussing why your right and others are wrong is always fun.  

Poll--The Weakest Link: Bon Jovi's 'Slippery When Wet' Round 1 34 votes

Let It Rock
2%
Horse2345 1 vote
You Give Love A Bad Name
0%
Livin' On A Prayer
11%
PoncierNo Codered243421Gtilley8 4 votes
Social Disease
26%
CantKeepmedownjeffbrDukeSpiritmookieblalockpjsteelerfanpledgeagrievanceDewieCoxtempo_n_grooveJason7192 9 votes
Wanted Dead Or Alive
0%
Raise Your Hands
2%
redsfan1 1 vote
Without Love
14%
Of The AggiedankindMedozKHobbesSmallestOceans 5 votes
I'd Die For You
11%
rw160510F Me In The Brainmrussel1PJ_Soul 4 votes
Never Say Goodbye
11%
goldrushBIGDaddyWiljoberschlakeBLACK35 4 votes
Wild In The Streets
17%
tbergsHesCalledDyerRP112579hauntingfamiliarrgambsMeltdown99 6 votes

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Without Love

Slippery When Wet is the third studio album by Bon Jovi. It was released on August 18, 1986. The album spent eight weeks at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard 200 chart and was named by Billboard as the top-selling album of 1987. Slippery When Wet is Bon Jovi's best-selling album, with an RIAA certification of 12× Platinum.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    You're killing me!
    (Admittedly, I only know four songs of the ones listed!)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Wild In The Streets
    Gonna have to revisit this one. A few tracks I don’t remember but man I played the shit out of this cassette in the 80’s.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    I'll just pick the winner: Wanted Dead Or Alive
  • cutz said:
    Living on a Prayer might have something to say about that
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    Livin' On A Prayer

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    Social Disease
    Should have done 7800 Farenheit...
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Livin' On A Prayer
    In and Out of Love is your winner.

There, 7800 Fahrenheit is done
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited March 2019
    Wild In The Streets
    Should have done another band...

Besides the hits, I don't care to listen to the rest of this album. My 10 year old seems to be a big fan of this one these days though, so I hear enough of it.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Wild In The Streets
    Gonna have to revisit this one. A few tracks I don’t remember but man I played the shit out of this cassette in the 80’s.
    After further review, I've concluded there is a reason why a couple songs aren't memorable.
    Social Disease
    Poncier said:
    In and Out of Love is your winner.

There, 7800 Fahrenheit is done
    hahahahahaha!!!
    Social Disease
    tbergs said:
    Should have done another band...

Besides the hits, I don't care to listen to the rest of this album. My 10 year old seems to be a big fan of this one these days though, so I hear enough of it.
    When this came out it wasn't in my wheelhouse.  It was impossible to get away from though.  Everywhere on the radio and MTV.  I do remember being into the Beastie Boys and Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time.  WASP's Electric Circus was out around that time too.

It was also my introduction into Hardcore...Enter Frankenchrist!  The following year introduced me to techno too, lol.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Never Say Goodbye
    hate this song.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    I'd Die For You
    Alrighty then. I am now going to listen to a complete Jon Bon Jovi album for the first time in my life. My expectations are actually pretty high.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Wild In The Streets
    cutz said:
    Apparently (and surprisingly) not, so far.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    cutz said:
    I guess.

Don't care for the album so i'm just picking the song i think may win.
    I'd Die For You
    cutz said:
    cutz said:
    I guess.

Don't care for the album so i'm just picking the song i think may win.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Unless there's a song or two that got a lot of airplay, I don't know a single song on this record or any other Bon Bon Jovi's so I've gotta sit this one out.  (Wasn't he in a movie or two?)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited March 2019
    I'd Die For You
    brianlux said:
    Unless there's a song or two that got a lot of airplay, I don't know a single song on this record or any other Bon Bon Jovi's so I've gotta sit this one out.  (Wasn't he in a movie or two?)
    I can't imagine that it's possible you don't know at least a couple of songs on this record. There are at least 3 that got insane airplay, and you still hear them come up here and there on a regular basis. Mega hits.
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I can't imagine that it's possible you don't know at least a couple of songs on this record. There are at least 3 that got insane airplay, and you still hear them come up here and there on a regular basis. Mega hits.
    Please tell me what they are and I'll YouTube them for my Bonification... I mean, edification.  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

I'd Die For You
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Please tell me what they are and I'll YouTube them for my Bonification... I mean, edification.  :smile:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

:)
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

i'm gonna wait for the finals since these are the only songs i know from that album
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

After giving them a listen, here's my recollection (or lack there of):

"You Give Love a Bad Name":  Sounds very vaguely familiar.  To my ears, sounds very formulaic. 
    "Livin' On a Prayer":  Not even vaguely familiar.  Is that a Talk Box in the background or someone in the bathroom heaving?
    "Wanted Dead or Alive":  Nope, not familiar.  I liked this one a bit- especially the intro-  but the video with all the limos and Big Hair and private Lear jets killed it for me.

Sorry, but if all the music in the world suddenly disappeared save this one record, I would probably have to shoot myself.  :lol:

Edit:  By the way, as always, I don't mean to disparage this music.  I never call anything "bad music".  I know a lot of people must love this record and if it makes them happy, that's cool by me!

Post edited by brianlux on

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Wild In The Streets
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Yep, the standard karaoke sing alongs. Been there myself. I prefer Raise Your Hands these days over those ones though. I'd Die For You is the other popular one. Can't say I've ever really heard any of the other ones enough to remember them and it's going to stay that way.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Wild In The Streets
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

"You Give Love a Bad Name":  Sounds very vaguely familiar.  To my ears, sounds very formulaic. 
    "Livin' On a Prayer":  Not even vaguely familiar.  Is that a Talk Box in the background or someone in the bathroom heaving?
    "Wanted Dead or Alive":  Nope, not familiar.  I liked this one a bit- especially the intro-  but the video with all the limos and Big Hair and private Lear jets killed it for me.

Sorry, but if all the music in the world suddenly disappeared save this one record, I would probably have to shoot myself.  :lol:

Edit:  By the way, as always, I don't mean to disparage this music.  I never call anything "bad music".  I know a lot of people must love this record and if it makes them happy, that's cool by me! 
    I can't fathom how anyone could not know these songs! :i_dunno:
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I'd Die For You
    Classic record.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

I get it!  Funny thing is, I've said that  a million times myself when, for instance, someone says they've never heard You're Living All Over Me or even know who the hell Dinosaur Jr is.  I'm thinking, oh my god!  You must! 

And then it happens to myself when, like tonight, I put on a record I recently came across that I'd never heard before- specifically tonight, a copy of SVT's Extended Play.  A few seconds into the first cut I'm already there.  As it's title says, it's an EP and not all the songs work so well but the few that do are di-no-mite.  And Jack Cassidy is in the band!  How did I never hear this before! 

There is
    so
    much
    music.

Social Disease
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

I get it!  Funny thing is, I've said that  a million times myself when, for instance, someone says they've never heard You're Living All Over Me or even know who the hell Dinosaur Jr is.  I'm thinking, oh my god!  You must! 

And then it happens to myself when, like tonight, I put on a record I recently came across that I'd never heard before- specifically tonight, a copy of SVT's Extended Play.  A few seconds into the first cut I'm already there.  As it's title says, it's an EP and not all the songs work so well but the few that do are di-no-mite.  And Jack Cassidy is in the band!  How did I never hear this before! 

There is
    so
    much
    music.
    Wanted Dead or Alive has, to me, one of the greatest lyrics ever written in "I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all".

Very powerful.
    Wild In The Streets
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    You Give Love a Bad Name
    Livin' On a Prayer
    Wanted Dead or Alive

Thank you!

There is
    so
    much
    music.
    Wanted Dead or Alive has, to me, one of the greatest lyrics ever written in "I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all".

Very powerful.
    Indeed, overall just a great song about life on the road.
This discussion has been closed.