Comments

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    igotid88 said:
    dankind said:
    igotid88 said:
    dankind said:
    There’s another Marvel movie!?! Man, they really crank these motherfuckers out. I saw Ant-Man and the Wasp on Friday. I had no idea why he was under house arrest and the whole thing with Captain America. It’s fucking pointless to watch a lot of these movies if you miss one. 
    You didn't see Ant-Man?
    I saw Ant-Man, but I don't remember any of it taking place in Germany with Captain America or him committing any federal offenses that would put him under federal house arrest.
    He was in Captain America Civil War
    Oh, well, that pretty much explains my nonplussed-ness. I shouldn't have to watch a Captain America film to understand what's going on in an Ant-Man film.

Oddly enough, despite Cap being my favorite Marvel superhero growing up, I have yet to see a Captain America film -- that is, other than the first Avengers movie; he was in that obviously.

The Captain America movies are among the best of the Marvel films, you should watch them, Civil War is great.
    Winter Soldier and Civil War are among the top of this whole process.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,144
    James Gunn is back to direct Guardians 3
    I miss igotid88
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    When political commentators go watch Captain Marvel:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Saw Captain Marvel yesterday, liked it, especially Goose.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    OK  week of silence is up!

SPOILER!!!!!

Don't read any further!!!!
    While I liked Captain Marvel, I couldn't help but feel that it was just a "filler" movie.  It filled in the blanks but didn't do much for me other than showing how Fury came up with the Avengers at the end.

The Skrulls were always a bad group of aliens.  Not sure why the sudden change here?

The Flerken was great.  Now we know how Vision got the Mind stone, or how the Avengers got it rather.
    edited March 2019
    While I liked Captain Marvel, I couldn't help but feel that it was just a "filler" movie.  It filled in the blanks but didn't do much for me other than showing how Fury came up with the Avengers at the end.

The Skrulls were always a bad group of aliens.  Not sure why the sudden change here?

The Flerken was great.  Now we know how Vision got the Mind stone, or how the Avengers got it rather.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

While it did fill in a lot of blanks, it also introduced Captain Marvel which is obviously going to be critical to Endgame, so I was satisfied overall with what it added to the MCU.
    edited March 2019

i think the entire MCU has lost steam and I'm halfway off this carousal (KISS reference) - but I was bored. I found it really bland, and rushed and the lack of chemistry between Brie and Samuel L Jackson didn't help. Everyone felt tired. It was like a mid-season episode of a TV-series. The CGI on Samuel was the one saving grace. I bet the part about Goose was great in the script - "Oh great my screenwriters; you are really Guardian of the Galaxy it up!" - but felt kind of "eh.. ok... I see what you tried to do there..." in the actual film. It was very paint by numbers.

But I've left the MCU (except for Guardians of the Galaxy and Antman), so obviously that played a part. 

Saw VENOM the day after - only 88 minutes and I was more entertained through that breezy pointless film. Even with hating it to the core for re-writing the mythology and everything. 
    Poncier said:

While it did fill in a lot of blanks, it also introduced Captain Marvel which is obviously going to be critical to Endgame, so I was satisfied overall with what it added to the MCU.
    So, at the end of the movie we all waited for the end trailer/easter egg, whatever you want to call them and the remaining Avengers are standing around the pager wondering what it does and Captain Marvel appears and the theatre erupts and gasps like this was a shock.  I yelled in the theatre "c'mon, you knew that was going to happen!!!"

If Warlock had shown up instead of Marvel then I would have been surprised...
    Poncier said:

So, at the end of the movie we all waited for the end trailer/easter egg, whatever you want to call them and the remaining Avengers are standing around the pager wondering what it does and Captain Marvel appears and the theatre erupts and gasps like this was a shock.  I yelled in the theatre "c'mon, you knew that was going to happen!!!"

They confirmed it in the Infinity War end screen.

They confirmed in the end screen here.

They confirmed in the last trailer for End Game
    Did you stay for the 2nd Easter egg at the end of the full credits? It was pretty funny.
    Poncier said:
    Did you stay for the 2nd Easter egg at the end of the full credits? It was pretty funny.
    Throwing up the tasseract/Mind stone?  Yes.  I told you I love the Flerken.
    Poncier said:

What?!?
    That was one hell of a hairball. =)
    Poncier said:

What?!?
    Three times they confirmed that it would happen. So we really know.
    Poncier said:

What?!?
    Three times they confirmed that it would happen. So we really know.
    Ahhh, ok you agree with me then, lol.

I couldn't believe that the theatre didn't know that was coming...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    As much as it may have been a ‘filler’ movie, it’s still a pretty good one! You can’t really have the most powerful MCU hero so far just turning up out of nowhere, so they needed an origin story - especially for people who haven’t read the comics but enjoy the films.
    I liked that it was as much an origin story for Fury as it was for Captain Marvel too (although Coulson looks the same as he does now, so he wasn’t done as well as SLJ was).

I thought Brie Larson was great, and it was good to see a strong female character that wasn’t objectified or eye candy. Wonder Woman may have been a success for DC, but it felt like a lot of that was undone by some lingering shots of Gal Gadot’s ass in Justice League.

One thing that did annoy me a little was the use of Come As You Are. Why would Carol have projected that song when she wasn’t on the planet when it was released? I’ll ignore Celebrity Skin because I hate that song anyway. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    As much as it may have been a ‘filler’ movie, it’s still a pretty good one! You can’t really have the most powerful MCU hero so far just turning up out of nowhere, so they needed an origin story - especially for people who haven’t read the comics but enjoy the films.
    I liked that it was as much an origin story for Fury as it was for Captain Marvel too (although Coulson looks the same as he does now, so he wasn’t done as well as SLJ was).

I thought Brie Larson was great, and it was good to see a strong female character that wasn’t objectified or eye candy. Wonder Woman may have been a success for DC, but it felt like a lot of that was undone by some lingering shots of Gal Gadot’s ass in Justice League.

One thing that did annoy me a little was the use of Come As You Are. Why would Carol have projected that song when she wasn’t on the planet when it was released? I’ll ignore Celebrity Skin because I hate that song anyway. 
    Nerd alert here...

Something the Infinity war hasn't touched on were the truly stronger Marvel universe characters in the Celestials, Galactus, Infinity, Death, Eternity, Living Tribunal and Beyonder.  I was really hoping that they would all make an appearance in the movies but instead we've got Captain Marvel who isn't omnipotent.  Hell Storm  and Phoenix are stronger than her but that's the nerd in me...

I'm looking forward to end Game now and how in the world Captain Marvel ties in to the whole thing.

I still think Strange will make a return because he saw the outcome already and will be around to help defeat Thanos.  I really wish that Death, (there's another one), would make an appearance to help defeat Thanos...

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Finally saw Captain Marvel last night.  As someone who doesn't read the comic books and really enjoys the MCU movies, I thought it was a great origin story....enjoyed learning about Fury's past as well.  Can't wait for Endgame
    edited March 2019
    A bit disappointed they didn't keep having new hard rock singles for the end credits to the Avengers films. Felt old school in a cool way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZNtOcY_1A

Exactly 7 days to go! I got tickets to the 10.20am screening on Wednesday 24th :smiley:

(Tim Rogers)
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    you all realize this is not really cinema, right?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    #nerds

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Look forward to seeing the movie.  
    Never was a big fan of cinema

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    this latest movie looks about as dumb as it gets.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    And yet you still feel the need to comment on it

(Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    Wobbie said:
    And yet you still feel the need to comment on it
    Stop feeding the curmudgeon, lol.
    Wobbie said:
    Good thing they aren't setting up a projector and screen on your lawn.