Kids at Shows

13»

Comments

• acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Let's see, do I want my kid exposed to drunken and stoned behavior on their own, with their peers ... or with me standing next to them with the appropriate frown and tales of woe and sorrow that could come from such indulgences.... PJ concert as a teach-able moment! But heck, she's been going to MLB games since she was an infant....

Ear protection is a must of course, nice to see that hammered home in the thread. Also letting my 10-year old dress as goofy (I mean "cool") as she wants to and recommending sunglasses so she can stare at peeps to her heart's content without too much reciprocity. At least in the 10C line.

We've been practicing our pogo'n and mash'n!

But yeah, after talking my way outta Hannah/Miley and Avril and all the rest, when I heard they were coming to the 6000-seat Gibson, I instantly thought, "SHAZAM! Perfect first concert experience!" And it's all coming about, she's totally into the Beatles catalog now and starting to delete that Disney crap off her iPod. Just watched her put Faithful, Black, and a few others on that bad boy!

And that's some good advice as well -- if I luck out in the 10C draw with 1st/2nd row seats (heck, anything decent), I will totally walk back and trade with someone on the first tier rail or an isle -- better for her to SEE the whole thing, than smack up front and take a tambo off the noggin!

But yeah, it's costing me a day at Universal Studios and shopping in Santa Monica ... ah, the trade-offs in life!
    [sic] happens
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    saw7 wrote:

So you teach your kids to laugh at others whose behaviour you don't approve of?
    I guess that you have never acted that way, or that your kid will never act "dumb", huh?
    Anyways, I might not think it's smart to take such a young child to a rock concert, but I still wouldn't laugh at you or give you a hard time about it.
    Let's hope we can all get along and enjoy the music, dumb and otherwise.
    -sw

Sounds like I struck a nerve. Are you touchy about how you act when drunk or something? Yeah I'm straight edge and I think drunk people can act dumb sometimes, and if it looks funny we're going to giggle amongst ourselves. Someone on another page said taking kids to a show was like supporting stuff like getting drunk, and my point is it can be a teaching opportunity, like look kids - this is what people can act like on this stuff - do you want to look like that? Maybe they'll learn, maybe they won't, but my point is the act of taking kids to a show doesn't mean you are telling them bad behavior is okay.

And who said anything about not getting along? Not moi.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008

• Springer comment was over the top, but I still find it slightly strange. Are you guys paranoid to have a babysitter? I just can't see a good reason to bring baby that young to a concert, but I suppose if your seats aren't up front, it probably aint gonna hurt.

I'm also an avid movie goer and it drives me nuts when people bring babies there. I think my initial reaction was coming from that perspective.

I can't see a good reason why i shouldn't bring a baby to a concert. It's not about being paranoid to leave her with a sitter...i just choose to take her places with me. I wouldn't take her to a movie theatre because she may cry or get loud. If she cries at a PJ show, she'll annoy no one but me since no one else will be able to hear it...and i'd probably leave if that happens anyhow. My 10c number isn't that good so my seats will be nowhere near the stage so that's not even an issue.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I can't see a good reason why i shouldn't bring a baby to a concert. It's not about being paranoid to leave her with a sitter...i just choose to take her places with me. I wouldn't take her to a movie theatre because she may cry or get loud. If she cries at a PJ show, she'll annoy no one but me since no one else will be able to hear it...and i'd probably leave if that happens anyhow. My 10c number isn't that good so my seats will be nowhere near the stage so that's not even an issue.

While it is totally your choice, I think you aren't being completely honest when you say you can't think of a good reason to NOT bring your baby to the concert.

1) Smoke
    2) Noise
    3) Beer/Drunks
    4) You can't control the people around you, and at a rock concert, there is a higher likelyhood that somebody does something stupid.

Like I said, up to you, but there are certainly good reasons for her to stay home.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,332
    If Ed's smoking- I'm smoking

So if Ed kisses Mike (a guy) on stage - that mean's you are gonna kiss the closest guy that sit's next to you? Am I correct? :?

If the building say's, no smoking. It mean's, no smoking. That means everybody who is entering the place with ticket's. Comics, preachers, band's, the pope; they can smoke, get high, pray to jebus; DO what they want cause it's their act. You are paying to see them @ work. That's it. It's an all age event. Try to respect those that are around you & the place you are seeing these artists perform.
  • EvergreenEvergreen Posts: 492
    demetrios wrote:
    If Ed's smoking- I'm smoking

So if Ed kisses Mike (a guy) on stage - that mean's you are gonna kiss the closest guy that sit's next to you? Am I correct? :?

If the building say's, no smoking. It mean's, no smoking. That means everybody who is entering the place with ticket's. Comics, preachers, band's, the pope; they can smoke, get high, pray to jebus; DO what they want cause it's their act. You are paying to see them @ work. That's it. It's an all age event. Try to respect those that are around you & the place you are seeing these artists perform.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ed kiss a guy on stage...just sayin'.

8-)

• While it is totally your choice, I think you aren't being completely honest when you say you can't think of a good reason to NOT bring your baby to the concert.

1) Smoke
    2) Noise
    3) Beer/Drunks
    4) You can't control the people around you, and at a rock concert, there is a higher likelyhood that somebody does something stupid.

Like I said, up to you, but there are certainly good reasons for her to stay home.

I'm not worried abobut the noise. With earplugs AND muffs, i think she'll be okay.
    As for the drunks and idiots who do stupid shit...i've been to 11 other shows and have not encountered any antics in my general area. And if i think things will get out of hand, i'll leave.

I agree with you about the smoke though.

• I wouldn't mind seeing Ed kiss a guy on stage...just sayin'.

8-)

Me either...but that's for another thread. ;)
  • Bringing a 6th month old to a rock n roll show is boarder line Springer material. Kinda plain dumb, but it aint my kid.

Dude. I never said my baby daddy is a tranny stripper.

I'm bringing my baby to a PJ show. Her ears will be well protected. She'll be with her mother. I really don't get how it's "kinda plain dumb" or why CPS should be called on me like someone else suggested. She slept in my arms through most of the Calgary show. When she woke up, i danced around with her. Believe me, a rock concert will be much less tramatizing than leaving her with a sitter.

If it helps, I am totally with you, its not dumb at all, youth is fleeting, enjoy every second of your babies life.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • wow...i'm glad anti-smoke narc wussies aren't the majority at Pearl Jam concerts!!

IT'S A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT!!!! maybe some of you guys should stay home and watch Matlock, sipping prune juice and wait for that highlight of the day bowel movement to come.

welcome to the new millennium where we know for a fact that weed is more harmless than alcohol or cigarettes.
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    I don't have a problem with kids at concerts as long as the kid is behaving and the parent is actually monitoring them. I've been to a few concerts where unattended kids were just running around, getting in other people's hair, no parents in sight. Not cool. Not to mention young kids can get their hearing seriously damaged if they don't have the right ear protection.
    Kids under 7 at a concert...nah. Wait until they're older.
    And please, please, PLEASE don't put the kid on your shoulders. The people behind you actually want to see what's going on too.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    i was going to saty out of this one but i cant........... im sorry but it is WAY TO LOUD for a baby to be at ANY CONCERT....you might as well just sit the child in front of your 12" loud speakers and pump up the volume... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: as for any kid OVER THE AGE 5 or so....i think its a great idea hell my first concert was THE WHO back in '82 when they played Shea Stadium in New York i was 6..and will never forget that concert STILL GOT THE TICKET STUB.....
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • huck_5huck_5 Posts: 80
    Took my son, who was 7, to South Carolina last summer. He had a blast, and still talks about the KOL/PJ concert and when he can go ahead. He is pretty mature for his age. Did fine, then wound up getting sick in the middle of the concert. He acquired a virus and was sick for two days after the show.

My five year old son does not have close to the same maturity level, it will be awhile before he goes to a concert.

If you are on the floor, be prepared to hold your kid up for a long time.
    Knoxville, TN '98 | Nashville, TN '03 | Columbia, SC '08 | EV - Nashville, TN '09 | EV - Phoenix, AZ '12 | Charlotte, NC '13
  • brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    wow...i'm glad anti-smoke narc wussies aren't the majority at Pearl Jam concerts!!

IT'S A FUCKING ROCK CONCERT!!!! maybe some of you guys should stay home and watch Matlock, sipping prune juice and wait for that highlight of the day bowel movement to come.

welcome to the new millennium where we know for a fact that weed is more harmless than alcohol or cigarettes.

No kidding. I don't even smoke(cigs or weed). But come on people, It's a fucking rock concert.

Am I still logged in on pearljam.com or have I somehow been re-directed to Celine Dion's site?

That being said, I can put up with weed. But lose the fucking cigs. They are useless. I hope Eddie quits soon.
  • brandon10 wrote:
    wow...i'm glad anti-smoke narc wussies aren't the majority at Pearl Jam concerts!!

No kidding. I don't even smoke(cigs or weed). But come on people, It's a fucking rock concert.

Am I still logged in on pearljam.com or have I somehow been re-directed to Celine Dion's site?

That being said, I can put up with weed. But lose the fucking cigs. They are useless. I hope Eddie quits soon.

I think the point that was being made is that people were calling out a parent for bringing a 6 month old to a show because the smoke is bad but the fact of the matter is it is illegal to smoke inside arenas so said parent was asking how they were in the wrong when in fact the smokers are the ones doing something illegal.

No one is really complaining about the smoke at any pearl jam shows in particular. Maybe you would see that if you took the time to actually read the posts.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • brandon10brandon10 Posts: 1,114
    brandon10 wrote:

I think the point that was being made is that people were calling out a parent for bringing a 6 month old to a show because the smoke is bad but the fact of the matter is it is illegal to smoke inside arenas so said parent was asking how they were in the wrong when in fact the smokers are the ones doing something illegal.

No one is really complaining about the smoke at any pearl jam shows in particular. Maybe you would see that if you took the time to actually read the posts.

I read the posts. Taking babies to concerts is stupid. Small children I can understand. But bringing babies to concerts is ridiculous. And it's a fucking concert, expect smoke, legal or not. Use your fucking heads.

I really don't care if you bring your children. It's your choice. But to complain about smoke at a concert is like complaining about turbulance on a plane. You hope to avoid it, but should expect at least a small amount.
  • brandon10 wrote:

I read the posts. Taking babies to concerts is stupid. Small children I can understand. But bringing babies to concerts is ridiculous. And it's a fucking concert, expect smoke, legal or not. Use your fucking heads.

I really don't care if you bring your children. It's your choice. But to complain about smoke at a concert is like complaining about turbulance on a plane. You hope to avoid it, but should expect at least a small amount.

WORD TA HERB!!!!

anyone who would bring a 6 month old child to a rock concert is already fucking high on crack so i don't know why they'd have a problem with weed smoke.

and at 6 months old they don't even have an immune system yet and you'd bring them in a crowd of 20 thousand people? that's just fucking insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    I was just going to start a thread on this and glad that I used the good old search button......now that my daughter is 2 ive had some thoughts about taking her to a show, but after reading different opinions on this its best I wait till she is around 8....I just hope that is not too late for her to get the chance to experience what I have
  • joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,203

Thanks for everyones input. It is much appreciated. There was some good advice in there ie. ear plugs which I probably would have overlooked because I don't attand a concert myself thinking I might need them but hey ......thanks to all those that mentioned it.

As for the sparking up.......I am pretty open minded and although I don't myself I understand this is a part of the concert going experience for many. Someone mentioned not wanting to be the ones to expose their kids to it. I am sort of from the opposite school of thought here I guess. At least if I am there and he asks I can explain it in whatever why I choose as opposed to him having no knowledge and being exposed by someone who might be encouraging it at some other event where I probably will not be in a few years. I suppose I am also hoping that just maybe he will be so naive he won't even ask. My seven year old has seen people smoke and just views it at this stage as somethinig he shouldn't do. He might mention the smell but beyond that in the eyes of a seven year old ....it's probably just "smoking".

Thanks again folks.....

Oh and yes I plan on being the one to be responsible for my boy. His other sibling will not be there ...to young at 3.

I plan on sparking up myself. But if there happens to be a child near me,i will ask the parent if its ok. If not,i will move else where to do it. Nothing wrong with being considerate on both ends.
  • In Indy one year a lady in front of me had an infant in a carrier. Way too young.
    Indy 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Champaign 2003
    Indy 2003
    St. Louis 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Indy 2010
    Hampton 2016
    Lexington 2016
    EV Bourbon and Beyond 2017
    Chicago N1 2018
    Chicago N2 2018
    Nashville 2022
    St Louis 2022
    Oklahoma City 2022
    Denver 2022
    Chicago N1 2023
    Chicago N2 2023
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    when i was 8 the beatles were in town . no one would take me. if the kid can handle it and is really into going, it will be something they never forget. just make sure they have ear protection and use it. no exceptions.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This could also come in handy for the parents who want to bring their little ones to shows, lol.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata