Options

Brothers say Jussie Smollett paid them to carry out alleged attack: sources

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    He deserves to be charged for falsifying a report to police. What a fucking loser. 
    Yup. If he's indicted by the grand jury, charged and found guilty, the LBGQT community should vilify him. This type of behavior is super harmful to real, future victims who's claims may be doubted.  I also hope it causes him to be shit canned from Empire. He did it for publicity. Well, he got some publicity. And I hope he's rewarded with a career change. Maybe Subway will hire him. They got some press out of this.
    This will cause pause in any new hate, racist, gay crime that comes up next.

He single handed served hate mongers a W on a silver platter.
    Ummmmm pause is good. We should wait before reacting. Common folk and celebrities alike could use a more - wait till we learn more approach 
    Any time I try to say that when someone is accused of sexual misconduct, and get absolutely torn apart by most people on social media. I also got torn apart about it with this issue - when I said (elsewhere) that I wanted to wait and hear more once the Chicago media started running with the fake attack story, fucking everybody dog piled on me for being unwilling to admit the truth or whatever.
    I can’t even recall where we discussed it before. Which thread was it in? Obviously not this one. 
    No, I meant elsewhere as in not on the PJ boards. My point being, a LOT of people do not at all react well to the idea of waiting for all the info before reacting/judging ... I see this as a particularly American thing though. From what I can tell, Canadians tend to be much better at waiting for the facts (that includes the Canadian news media vs American news media).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    He deserves to be charged for falsifying a report to police. What a fucking loser. 
    Yup. If he's indicted by the grand jury, charged and found guilty, the LBGQT community should vilify him. This type of behavior is super harmful to real, future victims who's claims may be doubted.  I also hope it causes him to be shit canned from Empire. He did it for publicity. Well, he got some publicity. And I hope he's rewarded with a career change. Maybe Subway will hire him. They got some press out of this.

Ummmmm pause is good. We should wait before reacting. Common folk and celebrities alike could use a more - wait till we learn more approach 
    Any time I try to say that when someone is accused of sexual misconduct, and get absolutely torn apart by most people on social media. I also got torn apart about it with this issue - when I said (elsewhere) that I wanted to wait and hear more once the Chicago media started running with the fake attack story, fucking everybody dog piled on me for being unwilling to admit the truth or whatever.
    I can’t even recall where we discussed it before. Which thread was it in? Obviously not this one. 
    No, I meant elsewhere as in not on the PJ boards. My point being, a LOT of people do not at all react well to the idea of waiting for all the info before reacting/judging ... I see this as a particularly American thing though. From what I can tell, Canadians tend to be much better at waiting for the facts (that includes the Canadian news media vs American news media).
    Ah, got it. I had assumed we had discussed it when first reported but I couldn’t find any mention when I searched.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

I thought this story was fabricated...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but it's been discovered that there are text messages between Smollett and the brothers, who work as trainers, showing that the $3500 was actually for them to work for him as personal trainers so he could lose weight for some photo shoot. So possible proof that he in fact did NOT pay them to attack him. Of course, that could have been a pre-planned cover up or something, or maybe they just did it for free as a favour and also paid them for personal training, but the point is that such evidence could certainly create reasonable doubt in court.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited February 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Particularly American thing? Canadians tend to be better? 

Got any data?

You holier than thou Canadians are hilarious
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Got any data?

I'm not being holier than thou. It's really what I see as an objective observation, because the American news media does it and leads the population to do it. The Canadian (and others) media tends to be much more careful about that, and the population reacts accordingly more often too. That had been my general observation.
  • Options
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Got any data?

OH CANADA!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Got any data?

I'm not being holier than thou. It's really what I see as an objective observation, because the American news media does it and leads the population to do it. The Canadian (and others) media tends to be much more careful about that, and the population reacts accordingly more often too. That had been my general observation.
    Objective observation? Hahahahaha. Now my objective observation is that you are not an objective observer.

It is strange to me when we are suppose to gang up on a poster that makes comments like these and when we are suppose to pile on in agreement. Can someone please send me the new fan club AMT user rules?

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:

Got any data?

Objective observation? Hahahahaha. Now my objective observation is that you are not an objective observer.

It is strange to me when we are suppose to hang up on a poster that makes comments like these and when we are suppose to pile on in agreement. Can someone please send me the new fan club AMT user rules?

lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    PJ_Soul said:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already, but it's been discovered that there are text messages between Smollett and the brothers, who work as trainers, showing that the $3500 was actually for them to work for him as personal trainers so he could lose weight for some photo shoot. So possible proof that he in fact did NOT pay them to attack him. Of course, that could have been a pre-planned cover up or something, or maybe they just did it for free as a favour and also paid them for personal training, but the point is that such evidence could certainly create reasonable doubt in court.
    yeah the memo portion of the check refers to training....interesting to see where this goes
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Time for some crow eating....would some of you like ketchup?

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Time for some crow eating....would some of you like ketchup?
    Why?
    (Goes to look)
    Oh...charges dropped. (https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/03/26/jussie-smollett-charges-dropped/)  

Interesting statement here:

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollett’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this outcome is a just disposition and appropriate resolution to this case,” the Cook County State’s Attorney’s office stated in an email.

My gut reaction was "oh, he's still guilty but he's essentially paid a fine, is not a danger to society, and it's not worth the resources to prosecute this to the full extent.  That said, prosecutes and County Attorneys (referred to as State's Attorneys in IL) do not like to admit loss.  If he did what he's accused of, then he's getting off easy but I'll live.  If not, the guilty label he's going to carry around forever is grossly unfair.  I didn't follow it closely enough to even offer an optinion.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,706
    lawyer says victims shouldnt be tried in the court of public opinion. agree wholeheartedly, but does that still hold if the victim in a case posts shit to adbook before going to police? or even after?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    He forfeited a $10000 bond, you do not do that if you are innocent...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I just want to know what changed, if anything. What new evidence came along to make them drop the charges? Or why didn't the DA think they could win the case? If the case wasn't strong enough, why would they have pressed charges in the first place? If nothing changed and there is evidence he committed those crimes, then I want to know why in the world the charges were dropped anyway. As always, I just want the facts/details.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just want to know what changed, if anything. What new evidence came along to make them drop the charges? Or why didn't the DA think they could win the case? If the case wasn't strong enough, why would they have pressed charges in the first place? If nothing changed and there is evidence he committed those crimes, then I want to know why in the world the charges were dropped anyway. As always, I just want the facts/details.
    maybe the brothers ceased cooperating with authorities. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    maybe the brothers ceased cooperating with authorities. 
    Maybe. But how much does that matter after their statements are already taken? I'm not sure.
    Maybe those texts that showed the payment wasn't for the attack but for personal training suddenly became something the prosecution didn't want to confront in court? Like I said before, that left plenty of room for a reasonable doubt. I just don't get why they wouldn't have made decisions like that before the charges were laid rather than after.
    Or maybe some mental health issues with Jesse came to light so they just decided to be nice and not put him through all the shit since he's lost it. Who knows???
  • Options
    Or maybe it is as simple as the Chicago courts are too backlogged to carry on with this case.  And the authorities in Chicago are satisfied that the 10 grand he is forfeiting re-coups some of the cost involving this.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Or maybe it is as simple as the Chicago courts are too backlogged to carry on with this case.  And the authorities in Chicago are satisfied that the 10 grand he is forfeiting re-coups some of the cost involving this.
    I doubt that. With a high profile case, they would normally decide that before charges are laid, not after. And normally wouldn't have that affect it either way. They save that shit for when nobody is paying any attention.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I doubt that. With a high profile case, they would normally decide that before charges are laid, not after. And normally wouldn't have that affect it either way. They save that shit for when nobody is paying any attention.
    The bottom line is you do not forfeit your bond if you are INNOCENT...

But you are the expert...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Pardon? What's your problem? I thought we were just having a regular conversation? I'm no expert.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    On one hand, I kinda smell a rat (well, not a rat, really, but a case that for several potential reasons is not being pursued to the full extent, which happens more than I think we realize to  non-celebrities).  On the other hand, you can pretty much guess when an accused person is not convicted of whether or not they'll be guilty in the court of public opinion:
    • Not Rape: Guilty in Court of Public Opinion
    • Rape: Not Guilty in Court of Public Opinion
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

it's really not as simple as that. if he has the money, and just wants it to go away, then you do. people pay all types of settlements all the time when they aren't guilty. money talks. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Part of Jesse's statement:

“I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since Day One,” Smollett told reporters at a Chicago courthouse. “I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of. This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life.”

Anyway, from what the state attorney's office is saying, they are just letting him off because he's kinda sorta a good enough guy to let off, especially since he forfeited his bond (and no, I do not think that is any kind of secret admission of guilt btw - not here and not in general). I really really wonder if some joe-schmoe would have been given the same leniency.

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    PJ_Soul said:
    Part of Jesse's statement:

“I have been truthful and consistent on every single level since Day One,” Smollett told reporters at a Chicago courthouse. “I would not be my mother’s son if I was capable of one drop of what I was accused of. This has been an incredibly difficult time, honestly one of the worst of my entire life.”

Anyway, from what the state attorney's office is saying, they are just letting him off because he's kinda sorta a good enough guy to let off, especially since he forfeited his bond (and no, I do not think that is any kind of secret admission of guilt btw - not here and not in general). I really really wonder if some joe-schmoe would have been given the same leniency.

Of course not.  This whole his thing has been extremely bizarre from the beginning.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

It's odd for sure...not sure why the prosecutor would have caved though.  Doesn't make sense

• Options
    Police and Mayor Emmanuel were tearing Smollet apart in their presser.

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

It's odd for sure...not sure why the prosecutor would have caved though.  Doesn't make sense
    $$$. Smells like someone got paid off or it was dismissed due to not enough concrete evidence.  That’s quite a story that the brothers made up if it wasn’t true...and for what motivation?  If it didn’t happen, wouldn’t they get prosecuted for false accusations?  Maybe they didn’t want yet another riot in Chicago?  Maybe he is going to be a star witness in the prosecution of Mark Geregos?  All speculative, but this thing just got even more interesting.
    http://ktar.com/story/2455442/smollett-lawyer-asking-judge-to-ok-empire-actor-travel/
    https://www.apnews.com/b06f8df5f63e403b9cd908a696f35996
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com