Poll--The Weakest Link: Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Second Helping' Round 1

13»

Comments

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Working For MCA
    tbergs said:
    I am surprised by the I Need You votes here. That guitar solo is outstanding.
    I know, right. I don't see how anyone who likes guitar driven music doesn't like LS.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The Needle And The Spoon
    Tough choice, but I felt the guitar part in Needle is an inferior take on the one from Sweet Home which is a superior song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Working For MCA
    Round 1 has ended and I need you and Swamp Music have been eliminated.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    I Need You
    njnancy said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    MedozK said:
    Missing some great music.
    I feel like most people north of the Mason-Dixon line (not saying the people here, but it could apply) don't like the idea of Skynyrd. Hell, I don't like the idea of Skynyrd, and I'm from Skynyrd country and am a fan of their music. I'll admit that when I first saw the next poll pick, my initial thought was a record to rape your sister by, but that's just a perception and has nothing to do with the brilliance present in the grooves. I just think they're just a polarizing band in this polarized day and age.

But that wasn't always the case.

The music that they created on their first two albums -- I like their debut best ("Tuesday's Gone," "Simple Man") -- was goddamn solid, and Street Survivors ain't no slouch neither. I think all three of those at least went platinum, if not multiplatinum, so they were definitely dialed into the zeitgeist of the mid70s. And warming up for The Who didn't hurt.
    I heard Free bird so many times as a kid that when I first heard Jump in The Fire I realized that the jam session at the end was a homage to this song.

This wasn't my era of music.  I learned Tuesday's gone from Metallica and only heard Simple Man after that. 

Hugely influential! If anyone actually takes the time to listen to the guitar textures of Second Helping, you'd be either lying or deaf if you didn't hear their influence on Stone and Mike -- sludgy, groovy riffs and piercing leads ("Workin for MCA," "The Needle and the Spoon"). I wonder if there's a YouTube video out there that just isolates the guitars.
    I can't believe that people are straight out refusing to vote for a band because they're Southern Rock, not their era, rape my sister music....Zep and ACDC were okay though? I wouldn't refuse to vote on any album, it's about music. And if it's the Southern thing - I'm a  bleeding heart liberal Yankee who loves Skynyrd.  

They set the standard for a lot of guitar rock and it's the blues and without the blues there is no rock and roll. Not saying you have to like an album, but I can't believe people are just saying they will not listen to 50 minutes of music and vote.

But to each their own. 
    For me it has nothing to do with the era, geographic region, politics, or ridiculous redneck cliches like “fuckin yer sister.” It’s not a southern thing, it’s a southern rock thing. It IS about the music, and it’s a style of music that I just don’t like.

Nah, and that was clear when you said Skynyrd, ABB and ZZ Top sound alike.
This discussion has been closed.