Backspacer 10 years old

Comments

• SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,992
    I love Backspacer - though not the Fixer. The Fixer sounds like it would be better suited as a One Direction song instead of PJ.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Sarava said:
    I love Backspacer - though not the Fixer. The Fixer sounds like it would be better suited as a One Direction song instead of PJ.
    That’s ridiculous. Come on!
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,248
    Always had a weird relationship with Backspacer. I like pretty much every song on the album but find it hard to listen to as an actual album of songs. Good release though, and as someone said, a nice change of direction from Avocado.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 513
    What I feel makes PJ such a great band is their albums age so well. Force of Nature / Gonna see my Friend are two songs, for example, that I LOVE regularly listening to. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    1991 - 2000 - Ten, Vs, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, Binaural
    2001 - 2010 - Riot Act, S/T, Backspacer
    2011 - now - Lighting Bolt
    you know....when you put it like that it's kind of interesting

But I would be fine with them just releasing a single here and there and just touring every few years on their catalog.  They have done as much as we could possibly ask.  I'm just glad they are still together....lots of tragedy with other Seattle bands.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    you know....when you put it like that it's kind of interesting

But I would be fine with them just releasing a single here and there and just touring every few years on their catalog.  They have done as much as we could possibly ask.  I'm just glad they are still together....lots of tragedy with other Seattle bands.
    Good point!  We don't get the opportunities to see Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots (not Seattle, but still) as they were intended.  We still get to see Pearl Jam.  Not that they haven't had their own periods of trouble, but they've pulled through time and time again. No disrespect to those no longer with us, but I'm certainly grateful that my favorite band from those times is still around for me to enjoy.  I'll take whatever they want to give me, whenever.  And who knows, it will be a long break when the next album arrives, but maybe they'll surprise us with another album or two in the next 3-4 years to follow.  Most bands go through at least one long period between albums but seemingly pick up the pace again.  Maybe, maybe not.  But I know I'm happy that I love all 10 albums, Lost Dogs, and various other singles.  I'd rather the guys take their time and put something out worthwhile than rush/force it and put out crap. Quality over quantity any day of the week!

(Incoming "But, but... Can't Deny Me isn't quality" comments :weary: )
  • Force of Nature is one of the most under rated and under played PJ songs 

Loved Backspacer 10 years ago, still love it today 
    Yes! Force of Nature is still my favorite PJ song, and Backspacer my favorite PJ album!
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • faithful2youfaithful2you Madison, WI Posts: 778
    Force of Nature is one of the most under rated and under played PJ songs 

Loved Backspacer 10 years ago, still love it today 
    Yes! Force of Nature is still my favorite PJ song, and Backspacer my favorite PJ album!
    Force of Nature and Just Breathe may be the only things from that album that has aged well......I can let the rest of the album go.  Loved Unthought Known when it was released, just blah for me now.  I would probably give this album a 5/10 stars in 2019, which is only down 2 from 2010.      
    Like a word misplaced...nothing said...what a waste
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,251
    edited February 2019
    Since Backspacer came out, we have had:

Live On 10 Legs
    PJ20 film and soundtrack
    7x Vault releases
    Live At Third Man Records
    Let's Play Two film and soundtrack
    Lightning Bolt

However, as far as side projects go we have had:

Brad - Best Friends?
    Tres Mts - Tres Mts
    Eddie - Ukulele Songs
    Brad - United We Stand
    Jeff - While My Heart Beats
    RNDM - Acts
    Stone - Moonlander
    Weiss / Cameron / Hill - Drumgasm
    Sonic Evolution
    Ten Commandos - Ten Commandos
    RNDM - Ghost Riding
    The Glamour & The Squalor soundtrack 
    Matt - Cavedweller
    Jeff - Heaven / Hell
    As well as the Mad Season, Mother Lover Bone, Temple Of The Dog, and Green River reissues (plus probably more I can't think of right now)

I know that not everyone is into the side projects/solo records, but it's better than nothing at all! There's certainly some more interesting stuff on there if you go digging.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    goldrush said:

Live On 10 Legs
    PJ20 film and soundtrack
    7x Vault releases
    Lightning Bolt
    As well as the Mad SeasnMother Lover Bone, Temple Of The Dog, and Green River reissues.

Brad - Best Friends?
    Tres Mts - Tres Mts
    Eddie - Ukulele Songs
    Brad - United We Stand
    RNDM - Acts
    Stone - Moonlander
    Sonic Evolution
    RNDM - Ghost Riding
    Matt - Cavedweller
    Jeff - Heaven / Hell
    (plus probably more I can't think of right now)

I know that not everyone is into the side projects/solo records, but it's better than nothing at all! There's certainly some more interesting stuff on there if you go digging.
    And Mike doing some soundtrack work, hockey talker, etc.

Seems one member is a bit less interested in making music than the others...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • The Fixer was the first song I was embarrassed about putting on in front of friends. 

Got some was a great single though, and should be a staple live.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The Fixer was the first song I was embarrassed about putting on in front of friends. 

If you listen to the demos of the Fixer it is quite different.  I think Eddie took it a different direction....maybe not the direction that Matt intended in my opinion.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    goldrush said:

Live On 10 Legs
    PJ20 film and soundtrack
    7x Vault releases
    Lightning Bolt

Brad - Best Friends?
    Tres Mts - Tres Mts
    Eddie - Ukulele Songs
    Brad - United We Stand
    RNDM - Acts
    Stone - Moonlander
    Sonic Evolution
    RNDM - Ghost Riding
    Matt - Cavedweller
    Jeff - Heaven / Hell
    As well as the Mad Season, Mother Lover Bone, Temple Of The Dog, and Green River reissues (plus probably more I can't think of right now)

Good point bringing up all these other releases. Very active, just not with an original PJ studio album.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    The Fixer was the first song I was embarrassed about putting on in front of friends. 

If you listen to the demos of the Fixer it is quite different.  I think Eddie took it a different direction....maybe not the direction that Matt intended in my opinion.
    Need to Know always reminded me more of a Foo Fighters song, especially the chorus.  It's good, but I prefer the album cut of The Fixer for a Pearl Jam song.  Will never understand the hate the song gets.  Would still love to get some Matt lead vox on a PJ song, though.  We've had Stone on Mankind & No Lip, Jeff on Sweet Lew & Something to Do cover, Mike on Turning Mist, even Jack on Whale Song.  I highly enjoy Cavedweller.
  • Speed of Sound demo is one of my favorite things. Album version, not so much. Got Some is great. The rest of the album has never done a lot for me. 
    ^ I agree more Matt on vocals would be awesome. 
  • Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,492
    I remember being completely jacked up to hear them debut a song from this album (Got Some) on Conan, when he was taking over for Leno.

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,925
    kaw753 said:
    jeffbr said:
    The well has run dry.
    I can't even manage to get 4 co-workers to go to lunch at the same time, so no idea how 5 millionaires and a producer end up at the same place at the same time.
    Might want to look into your personal hygiene 

Need to Know always reminded me more of a Foo Fighters song, especially the chorus.  It's good, but I prefer the album cut of The Fixer for a Pearl Jam song.  Will never understand the hate the song gets.  Would still love to get some Matt lead vox on a PJ song, though.  We've had Stone on Mankind & No Lip, Jeff on Sweet Lew & Something to Do cover, Mike on Turning Mist, even Jack on Whale Song.  I highly enjoy Cavedweller.
    I think I would prefer PJ doing Need to KNow

• I remember being completely jacked up to hear them debut a song from this album (Got Some) on Conan, when he was taking over for Leno.

jacked! yes!! i don't "pogo dance" much anymore, cause it hurts now lol...but it's the greatest fun when the live music is on that same vibe/level. got some and fixer old cordury etc ALL do that to me. i cherish all those songs because of that aspect alone. UP we go, and sitting down is not an option for most of us   :)
  • jack cameronjack cameron Sydney Posts: 340
    I put the Backspacer record on the other night and I was pleasantly surprised art how much I enjoy it as a whole. I have always enjoy separate tracks and not the really the album as a collection, but this was fun. It's still not a go to, but I'm thinking I might give it a few more spins over the next few weeks.
    By the way, Stone is ROCKIN OUT in that Conan performance.
    I have never liked the intro to Gonna See My Friend... always had too much of a surfer rock/Gremmie feel to it that rubbed me up the wrong way. LOVE The Fixer.

Pearl Jam: 11/02/03 • 13/02/03 • 18/02/03 • 07/11/06 • 13/11/06 • 16/11/06 • 18/11/06 • 19/11/06 • 20/11/09 • 22/11/09 • 26/01/14
    Eddie Vedder: 15/03/11 • 16/03/11 • 18/03/11 • 19/03/11 • 11/02/14 • 12/02/14
  • I remember being completely jacked up to hear them debut a song from this album (Got Some) on Conan, when he was taking over for Leno.

The year of "where did Eddies 2006 voice go?"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 800
    Backspacer is leaps and bounds better vocally than Avocado.  Avocado easily had the all time worst vocals.  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    “Fight to get it back again”.    That line defines PJ to me. 

Awesome song
    “Fight to get it back again”.    That line defines PJ to me. 

Awesome song
    :rock_on:
    vedpunk said:
    Backspacer is leaps and bounds better vocally than Avocado.  Avocado easily had the all time worst vocals.  
    But Avocado has much better songs than Backspacer

(Tim Rogers)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    goldrush said:
    vedpunk said:
    Disagree 1000% :lol:
    goldrush said:
    vedpunk said:

I kind of agree....
    Severed Hand, Comatose, and Inside Job are musically some of PJ’s best songs.  If the vocals were fuller/richer and actually matched the music they would have been epic.  Missed opportunity.
    goldrush said:
    vedpunk said:
    I kind of agree....Severed Hand, Comatose, and Inside Job are musically some of PJ’s best songs.  If the vocals were fuller/richer and actually matched the music they would have been epic.  Missed opportunity.
  • my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 330
    edited March 2019
    10 days until can't deny me is one year old
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
    edited March 2019
    goldrush said:
    vedpunk said:
    Disagree 1000% :lol:

:lol:

(Tim Rogers)