Top Female Performer You've Seen Live

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Morcheeba (Skye Edward, vox)
    Howling Bells (Juanita Stein, vox/guitar)
    Tracy Chapman
    Duffy
    Since this post I've added Veruca Salt, Melody Gardot, Kacey Musgraves, Letters to Cleo, Lady Gaga, Jenny Lewis, & Metric to my repertoire.  All have been incredible.
    I saw metric do a short acoustic (piano and guitar) set I won tickets to several years ago at the same dingy bar I saw Juliette Lewis in. It was only 3 songs, but it was very well done. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Tracy Chapman
    Duffy
    Since this post I've added Veruca Salt, Melody Gardot, Kacey Musgraves, Letters to Cleo, Lady Gaga, Jenny Lewis, & Metric to my repertoire.  All have been incredible.
    I saw metric do a short acoustic (piano and guitar) set I won tickets to several years ago at the same dingy bar I saw Juliette Lewis in. It was only 3 songs, but it was very well done. 
    Nice! They opened for Smashing Pumpkins last summer when I saw them.  That show was a no-brainer for me since I like both bands.  Seeing them again Friday near DC, headlining this time.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
    Sleater-Kinney
    Trisha Yearwood (kind of the intermission of the Garth Brooks show my wife drug me to)

I got my wife tickets to Pink for her birthday. That's next month and while I'm not a big fan of her music, I've heard that she does put on a good show.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019
    San Fermin has this amazing female lead singer named Charlene Kaye (and another singer who's a guy - they switch off depending on the song). She had a really REALLY amazing stage presence.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Pat Benatar...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    Mavis Staples
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Sharon Jones
    Grace Potter (before she got poppy)
    Adele
    Tedeschi
    Samantha Fish
    Kills/Dead Weather
    Tristan Prettyman
    Nicole Atkins
    Melissa Ethridge 
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Susan Tedeschi
    Neko Case
    Kacey Musgraves
    Sharon Van Etten
    Sleater Kinney
    Shirley Manson

• joss's last tour and cd were so irie mon
    Joss Stone - Sensimilla
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeZdveuwmG8

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703

Tracy Chapman
    Duffy
    Nice! They opened for Smashing Pumpkins last summer when I saw them.  That show was a no-brainer for me since I like both bands.  Seeing them again Friday near DC, headlining this time.
    Saw Metric the other night. Very good.  Emily Haines rocks!  Fun fact: she was born one day before me :smile:

Image may contain 1 person on stage playing a musical instrument concert and indoor

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I've never seen any notable female performers live.  That makes me sad a bit.  
    June 1st I will remedy that with Emily Frantz of Mandolin Orange.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    Patti Smith
    Kim Gordon
    Florence + The Machine
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022

Tracy Chapman
    Duffy
    Saw Metric the other night. Very good.  Emily Haines rocks!  Fun fact: she was born one day before me :smile:

Image may contain 1 person on stage playing a musical instrument concert and indoor

Pretty much cemented them as my favorite post-2000 band! Incredible show. Emily is the best! Love her energy on stage and she sounds incredible. Added bonus of being an absolutely gorgeous woman on top of flat out rocking.

• Agreed on Metric / Emily Haines

Also love me some Distillers / Spinnerette / Brody Dalle. 

And 
    rgambs said:
    I've never seen any notable female performers live.  That makes me sad a bit.  
    June 1st I will remedy that with Emily Frantz of Mandolin Orange.
    Friends of mine just saw them in DC. Couldn’t say enough good things.
  • St. Vincent. May be one of the best guitarists I’ve seen period 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Agreed on Metric / Emily Haines

Also love me some Distillers / Spinnerette / Brody Dalle. 

And 
    saw Brody Dalle open up for QoSTA a few years ago. Pretty decent.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Has anyone listed the Heartless Bastards yet?

I saw them open up for Wolfmother about 10 years ago and was blown away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqojr5lc3ls
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    The Go Go's:  I saw them twice.  The first time was great- they were feisy, high energy, scrappy and punk.  Very cool.  The second time, they had tamed down in pursuit of more fame.  Not nearly as fun.

Lydia Pence with Cold Blood.  Not my favorite band or form of rock but, man, could she sing!

Sharon Isben in a guitar trio with Larry Caryell and Laurindo Almeida.  Fantastic!

June Tyson- the beautiful June Tyson with Sun Ra and His Solar Arkestra!  Twice!

June Carter Cash with the Johnny Cash & the Carter Family.  Sweet!

Crystal Gail.  Not my favorite kind of music, but what a voice!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    I saw Thelma and the Sleeze open for Eagles of Death Metal a few years ago.  SInger sounds like Janis Joplin and can play a mean guitar. 

We got there late because I had no idea who TATS was but they blew me away.  Very legit....probably need a new name though.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    edited February 2019
    Chrissie Hynde
    Shirley Manson
    Florence Welch
    Exene
    Patti Smith
    Post edited by JOEJOEJOE on
  • Muffin The MuleMuffin The Mule Amersham, Bucks Posts: 426
    Vanessa Paradis. Nothing will ever come close!
    Brixton Academy 14/7/93, Wembley Arena 29/5/00, Wembley Arena 18/6/07, London O2 18/8/09, Hyde Park 25/6/10, Manchester 20/6/12, Arras 30/6/12, Werchter 5/7/14, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14, Mexico City 28/11/15, Toronto 10/5/16, Toronto 12/5/16,  Amsterdam 12/6/18, Amsterdam 13/6/18, London 18/6/18, Werchter 7/7/18, London 17/7/18, Werchter 30/6/22, London 8/7/22, London 9/7/22, Budapest 12/7/22, Prague 22/7/22, Amsterdam 24/7/22, Amsterdam 25/7/22, Manchester 25/6/24, London 29/6/2024, Berlin 2/7/24, Berlin 3/7/24 
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    As I age my memory loss is getting to be troubling. That said, how could I forget 

TEENA MARIE.....the Lady T. 

What a voice she had, another female artist I had a crush on. I saw her when she opened for Rick James in Hampton VA. She was fantastic and joined Rick later in the show to sing one of favs done together called....l'm Just A Sucker For Your Love.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I have always enjoyed Lisa Loeb.

And Natalie Merchant our on a killer solo show when I saw it back in the day.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Numero uno I wish I have/will seen:  Juliana Hatfield!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ZodZod Posts: 9,941
    I'm sad to admit I haven't seen that many.

I did see Hole co-headline with Marilyn Manson on the celebrity skin tour.   It was a pretty grunge crowd, and hole mopped the floor with Marilyn Manson.  They were pretty damn good.  

There was also this girl that opening for Chris Cornell a few years ago.  Plays under the name Hemming.  Usually opening bands are something you have to endure until the real band comes on to play.  She owned the theatre and was amazingly good.  Bought her record, but unfortunately she hasn't released anything new yet :(
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254

This one won't be for everyone,
    but the Portishead / Beth Gibbons fans may like it!!
    Beth has a new project coming out at the end of March.
    You can watch a trailer for the release...
    as well as access the interactive website here:
    http://bethgibbons.net/info/ 
    Both the vinyl & CD releases come with a DVD of the performance.
    I think this is gonna be GREAT!!
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Has anyone listed the Heartless Bastards yet?

I saw them open up for Wolfmother about 10 years ago and was blown away.
    Yes...love 'em! Last year Erika, their lead singer, released her debut solo album. I've not yet checked it out tho.
  • jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,815
    Tina Turner
    Susan Tedeschi
    Alison Krauss
    Beyonce
    Erika Wennerstrom
    Brittany Howard
    Adele
    Mavis Staples
    Alicia Keys
    Patty Griffin
    Alison Mosshart