Poll--The Weakest Link: Led Zeppelin's 'Led Zeppelin IV' Round 1

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Rock and Roll
    ed243421 said:

Yup, while being locked in a closet for 7 LONG minutes with a random, equally clueless boy. 

At their ^^ age, they should know the basics already.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited February 2019
    When the Levee Breaks
    Bring the levee down!
    Seriously I just listened to it for a fifth time and can't get into it.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Misty Mountain Hop sounds like Led Zeppelin covering a Moody Blues song.  How the hell could you guys think Rock & Roll is weaker?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Four Sticks
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bring the levee down!
    I think that when I first listened to the record as a youngster I liked R&R the most, and Levee the least.
    Over time, I enjoy R&R less (overplayed) and Levee is one of the top LZ songs to me.  The music is so badass.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    When the Levee Breaks
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bring the levee down!
    I think that when I first listened to the record as a youngster I liked R&R the most, and Levee the least.
    Over time, I enjoy R&R less (overplayed) and Levee is one of the top LZ songs to me.  The music is so badass.
    Got ya.  What album should I listen to next?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Four Sticks
    I would go with II
    cant go wrong with any of them

Levee's iconic drums, discussed.  
    https://youtu.be/XZYDDX1DHDU

Rock and Roll
    Misty Mountain Hop sounds like Led Zeppelin covering a Moody Blues song.  How the hell could you guys think Rock & Roll is weaker?
    You and Chris cannot have any tea or fun, ever.
  • Going to California
    Going To California has always bored me. Fine tune, don't get me wrong. Just not my cup of tea. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Rock and Roll
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bring the levee down!
    Got ya.  What album should I listen to next?
    Why don't you try Led Zeppelin II
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Alright, now you have a Album i LOVE. Not that grade-school Album you had last time>LOL!!

But, man, this is a tough one. I just went with first instinct so i don't give myself a headache ,as i know it's going to be too difficult to choose from this Album.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Misty Mountain Hop
    mcgruff10 said:
     Follow up question: is going to to California a very popular song amongst zep fans or popular to Pearl Jam fans because of given to fly?
    Man, it must be me, because neither song reminds me of the other.
  • Misty Mountain Hop
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bring the levee down!
    When ever I hear Levee I think of Rhymin N Stealin.  I discovered the Beasties first then Led Zep after so hearing where they sampled from was cool as hell.
    Four Sticks
    mcgruff10 said:
    Bring the levee down!
    When ever I hear Levee I think of Rhymin N Stealin.  I discovered the Beasties first then Led Zep after so hearing where they sampled from was cool as hell.
    License To Ill was such an amazing album.  Paul's Boutique still ranks ahead for me but I love LTI so much.

"We got wenches on the benches, and bitties with titties"

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Black Dog
    Rock & Roll is probably their most straight forward and radio friendly rock song and I love it. Great song to crank in the car and cruise to...but it's by far not the best song on this album and wouldn't crack my top ten overall from them. I'd compare Rock & Roll to Evenflow, great rock songs that everybody knows, but not even close to being the best on their respective albums, which isn't a bad thing. Those are just some iconic albums.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Rock and Roll
    I love these threads.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    Rock and Roll
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     Follow up question: is going to to California a very popular song amongst zep fans or popular to Pearl Jam fans because of given to fly?
    I didn't get the connection either. 
    When the Levee Breaks
    I love these threads.
    I love learning about "new" old music through these boards. 
    Misty Mountain Hop
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The lyrical melodies have similar scale, tone, and cadence.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Misty Mountain Hop
    Horos said:
    ed243421 said:

I've always found it weird that when he shows up for his date he's playing Kashmir.
    Wasn't the story something like Cameron Crowe couldn't get permission to use Zep 4, so he used Kashmir, figuring it would make Rat look like he didn't know his music or something.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Black Dog
    Poncier said:
    Horos said:
    ed243421 said:

I've always found it weird that when he shows up for his date he's playing Kashmir.
    Wasn't the story something like Cameron Crowe couldn't get permission to use Zep 4, so he used Kashmir, figuring it would make Rat look like he didn't know his music or something.
    Spot on. LZ was very protective of their songs and wouldn't let him use anything from IV. He came back to them when he made Almost Famous and got them to let him use a few more because they liked the movie so much.
    Black Dog
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I remember when I first heard this reference back in the day and I could never pick up on it. If I didn't have to sit and think about it I would have never noticed and still don't unless someone brings it up.
    Misty Mountain Hop
    tbergs said:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I remember when I first heard this reference back in the day and I could never pick up on it. If I didn't have to sit and think about it I would have never noticed and still don't unless someone brings it up.
    Interesting, I find it to be pretty blatantly obvious.  It's weird to me that even in this thread a few say they don't see/hear it.
    When the Levee Breaks
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Right around 4:45 mike and stone discuss given to fly and going to california:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKnD9GmqvzM
    edited February 2019
    Rock and Roll
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well, since Mike wrote the song and he doesn't see it, then I'm in good company. 

When there is a new break through sound - like when Eddie Van Halen did Eruption and no one had ever heard anything like that - musicians will strive to copy that sort of sound. And then it will become a type of playing and will be mainstreamed (not to the degree of EVH though). 

It is said that every rock song has been written. There are only so many melodies, etc that can be composed.

I don't see the two songs as the same.  I've never heard this discussion of the songs and really have to stretch to hear it . I'd never have come up with it on my own. The one riff is similarish, but not the whole song. And you could find influences of prior music in every song if you wanted to break songs down. 

He's right - Going to California never soars, it's linear. Given to Fly builds from the similarish melody. IMHO, YMMV, etc....

Post edited by njnancy on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Rock and Roll
    I had to choose one,  and I love Four Sticks!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    When the Levee Breaks
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Well, since Mike wrote the song and he doesn't see it, then I'm in good company. 

When there is a new break through sound - like when Eddie Van Halen did Eruption and no one had ever heard anything like that - musicians will strive to copy that sort of sound. And then it will become a type of playing and will be mainstreamed (not to the degree of EVH though). 

It is said that every rock song has been written. There are only so many melodies, etc that can be composed.

I don't see the two songs as the same.  I've never heard this discussion of the songs and really have to stretch to hear it . I'd never have come up with it on my own. The one riff is similarish, but not the whole song. And you could find influences of prior music in every song if you wanted to break songs down. 

He's right - Going to California never soars, it's linear. Given to Fly builds from the similarish melody. IMHO, YMMV, etc....

"sure there are some influences that I might have stolen" lol.  He definitely took some of going to california and made it into gtf.
    I don't think anyone sees them as the same but they are definitely similar.  
    edited February 2019
    Rock and Roll
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:

"sure there are some influences that I might have stolen" lol.  He definitely took some of going to california and made it into gtf.
    He doesn't look like he makes that connection right away when the interviewer says it and when pressed he is kind of conceding to maybe being influenced by (other bands) but Stone cuts him off to talk about Zep suing, which they never did.I don't take his 'stealing' as something purposeful, rather playing something and an influence affected his song writing. . 

He does not look like he definitely took parts of Going to California on purpose to create a song. He created a song and people think that one part of the song sounds like GTC. Everyone hears something different and their opinion is valid. 

Post edited by njnancy on
  • Misty Mountain Hop
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    njnancy said:
    cutz said:
    mcgruff10 said:

He doesn't look like he makes that connection right away when the interviewer says it and when pressed he is kind of conceding to maybe being influenced by (other bands) but Stone cuts him off to talk about Zep suing, which they never did.I don't take his 'stealing' as something purposeful, rather playing something and an influence affected his song writing. . 

He does not look like he definitely took parts of Going to California on purpose to create a song. He created a song and people think that one part of the song sounds like GTC. Everyone hears something different and their opinion is valid. 

I still don't hear how Blurred lines ripped off  got to Give it Up...  I hear a rhythm that can barely pass as the other...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Almost 50 votes, great to see the participation for this one.
    edited February 2019
    Rock and Roll
    MedozK said:
    Almost 50 votes, great to see the participation for this one.
    Gonna be a long thread. And it's going to go in may directions. It may get contentious near the end. 

Ya know, one of those really good ones. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.