Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    hedonist said:
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might airport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Cats > shoes.

Every time.

Please be sure to post a pic of the kitty, should the rescue happen.
    And if those shoes have laces, your new cat will love them.  =)

Whereas a dog would just eat the whole damn shoe. :angry:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • The cat I was suppose to pick up, and they wanted me to pick up today but I asked if I could check out tomorrow instead has been given away to someone else now.

Now I will never know how it would be to get to now that cat. Boo.

And now I will have to find something else to do with Agnes.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yes
    The cat I was suppose to pick up, and they wanted me to pick up today but I asked if I could check out tomorrow instead has been given away to someone else now.

I have some ideas! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might adport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Sounds like y'all are already married. Will she hold your purse for you while you pick up your shoes? 
    Lucky I'm from Sweden where equality and the view of men and women have come further than this.
    I'm not disagreeing because my silly joke was certainly poking fun at ridiculous accepted/assumed US gender roles/domesticity for a cheap laugh.

Having said that, we all know what happens when we assume. We've got an admittedly anecdotal and small sample size here that would refute the inverse of your statement and the foundation of my joke. If one were to read the more personal posts regarding domestic life, gender roles, etc. closely enough here from our fellow fans from the US who happen to have a y chromosome (outside of AMT posters and dinosaurs like @Wobbie, that is), I think that the notion of the entire US being backward in its views regarding men and women falls apart.

I'm not saying that the US isn't still fucked six ways from Sunday in this regard -- we do still have a lot further to go until we reach Swedish levels of gender equality -- I'm just saying that assuming that the entire US (including its women) is still cool with mid-20th century bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  
    I was just being jokey back. I know many in the US (And especially on here) don't have 50s views on these topics - Except for @mcgruff10 of course who is still firmly stuck there.

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!
    "How is it possible to drink a beer with a friend who's female?"

From the last season of this hit show.
    I still stand behind that remark.  I just shoveled snow off my wife’s car, feels like 1955 all over again lol
    In 1955 your wife likely wouldn't have had a car. And if she did, the kids would have been out there to shovel it for you.

As it is, you should have had her traveling, vacation, drinking, slumber party bestest guy friend take care of it for her. That's the kind of thing modern people do.

=)  Sorry, I had to give my $.02
    Yeah she wants to go away with her friend that s a guy to some
    place called hedonism in jamaica. I am on the fence about it. 
    If that's true, and I'm hoping it's not, I will feel awful for you. Who wants to be put in that position? 
    I think you must have missed Chapters 3-7 of the Agnes thread.  =)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • No
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might adport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Sounds like y'all are already married. Will she hold your purse for you while you pick up your shoes? 
    Lucky I'm from Sweden where equality and the view of men and women have come further than this.
    I'm not disagreeing because my silly joke was certainly poking fun at ridiculous accepted/assumed US gender roles/domesticity for a cheap laugh.

Having said that, we all know what happens when we assume. We've got an admittedly anecdotal and small sample size here that would refute the inverse of your statement and the foundation of my joke. If one were to read the more personal posts regarding domestic life, gender roles, etc. closely enough here from our fellow fans from the US who happen to have a y chromosome (outside of AMT posters and dinosaurs like @Wobbie, that is), I think that the notion of the entire US being backward in its views regarding men and women falls apart.

I'm not saying that the US isn't still fucked six ways from Sunday in this regard -- we do still have a lot further to go until we reach Swedish levels of gender equality -- I'm just saying that assuming that the entire US (including its women) is still cool with mid-20th century bullshit is just that -- bullshit.  
    I was just being jokey back. I know many in the US (And especially on here) don't have 50s views on these topics - Except for @mcgruff10 of course who is still firmly stuck there.

Haha.
    Say whaaaaaat?!
    "How is it possible to drink a beer with a friend who's female?"

From the last season of this hit show.
    I still stand behind that remark.  I just shoveled snow off my wife’s car, feels like 1955 all over again lol
    In 1955 your wife likely wouldn't have had a car. And if she did, the kids would have been out there to shovel it for you.

As it is, you should have had her traveling, vacation, drinking, slumber party bestest guy friend take care of it for her. That's the kind of thing modern people do.

=)  Sorry, I had to give my $.02
    Yeah she wants to go away with her friend that s a guy to some
    place called hedonism in jamaica. I am on the fence about it. 
    If that's true, and I'm hoping it's not, I will feel awful for you. Who wants to be put in that position? 
    I think you must have missed Chapters 3-7 of the Agnes thread.  =)
    Nope, I'm just gullible as fuck. Good thing I'm on the internet, right? 
  • Fuck. I kinda feel like I missed out on something not adopting 10 months old Sigge the cat. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited February 2019
    I was ready to buy litter box and carrying box and everything.
  • I was looking forward to this life:

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Yes
    I was looking forward to this life:

I guarantee that walking a dog instead of backpacking a cat would draw some female attention. Positive female attention. 
    Yes
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    Finally hanging out with Agnes tomorrow. She might go with me to look at a cat I might airport, or pick up some shoes I bought. 
    Cats > shoes.

Every time.

Please be sure to post a pic of the kitty, should the rescue happen.
    And if those shoes have laces, your new cat will love them.  =)

Whereas a dog would just eat the whole damn shoe. :angry:
    Dogs like to eat the insides out of a shoe (cause of the smell) which leads to thinking you have a perfectly good pair of shoes until you put them on. Usually boots. 

It could be a Jersey dog thing, although my current dog is a Puerto Rican rescue. Bueno Perro.  :smile:

I don't know shit about cats, I'm deathly allergic to them and they creep me out. Their little cat brains know I'm allergic and so they head straight for me with evil little looks on their faces. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Yes
    Fuck. I kinda feel like I missed out on something not adopting 10 months old Sigge the cat. 
    If it's a cat you want, there will be plenty of other opportunities. If you never even met this cat, did you really have a connection with it? There will be another Sigge. Or Findus. Or Smulan. You could even name it Agnes. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Yes
    Fuck. I kinda feel like I missed out on something not adopting 10 months old Sigge the cat. 
    If it's a cat you want, there will be plenty of other opportunities. If you never even met this cat, did you really have a connection with it? There will be another Sigge. Or Findus. Or Smulan. You could even name it Agnes. 
    Agnes the cat!!  :lol: Now that may be the best idea I've seen on this thread! 
  • I wanted to name her/him (the english language do not have a word to combine these two?) Riot Act. But I guess Agnes is only the right thing to name her.
  • Fuck. I kinda feel like I missed out on something not adopting 10 months old Sigge the cat. 
    Are you googling swedish cat names?
    Yes
    I wanted to name her/him (the english language do not have a word to combine these two?) Riot Act. But I guess Agnes is only the right thing to name her.
    You'd say 'I wanted to name it' in English
  • njnancy said:
    I wanted to name her/him (the english language do not have a word to combine these two?) Riot Act. But I guess Agnes is only the right thing to name her.
    But what if its about a human being? You don't say "it" to a human being, or?
    edited February 2019
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    Well you'd know the sex of a human being, in most cases. So you'd say I wanted to name him or her. If there were two or more of different sexes you would say 'I wanted to name them'. 

If you want to take gender completely out of it you could say 'i wanted to name the cat' or I wanted to name the baby'.

Post edited by njnancy on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    njnancy said:
    Agnes the cat!!  :lol: Now that may be the best idea I've seen on this thread! 
    Yup.  Excellent!

SC, there are lots of other cats that need a good home.  Just something to think about...

(one of our cats wouldn't even fit in that carrier, plus my back would be permanently ruined by his weight)
    edited February 2019
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Well you'd know the sex of a human being, in most cases. So you'd say I wanted to name him or her. If there were two or more of different sexes you would say 'I wanted to name them'. 

If you want to take gender completely out of it you could say 'i wanted to name the cat' or I wanted to name the baby'.

Im not talking about cats now, but human. 

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

You don't have the word for when the gender is unknown/unspecified right, you go with "he/she" ?

Just a question.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

You don't have the word for when the gender is unknown/unspecified right, you go with "he/she" ?

Just a question.

"It" for animals, "they/them" for people.
    edited February 2019
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

Yes, the common way over here was to say "han/hon" (he/she). But then this old forgotten word "hen" was sort of re-discovered and became the standard in the last 5-10 years. Nifty having one word for it.

And it also encapsules all other gender identities, or do not have to point to genders at all.
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

I specifically said human beings in answer to your question. What was so confusing?
  • Hen (Swedish: [hɛn:] (About this soundlisten)) is a gender-neutral personal pronoun in Swedish intended as an alternative to the gender-specific hon ("she") and han("he"). It can be used when the gender of a person is not known or when it is not desirable to specify them as either a "she" or "he". The word was first proposed in 1966, and again in 1994, with reference to the Finnish hän, a personal pronoun that is gender-neutral, since Finnish does not have grammatical genders. However, it did not receive widespread recognition until around 2010, when it began to be used in some books, magazines and newspapers, and provoked media debates and controversy over feminismgender neutrality, and parenting. In July 2014 it was announced that henwould be included in Svenska Akademiens ordlista, the official glossary of the Swedish Academy.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    The cat I was suppose to pick up, and they wanted me to pick up today but I asked if I could check out tomorrow instead has been given away to someone else now.

Pet adoption is very rewarding.  I hope you find a cat that you want to adopt.  Dogs are nice as well, I have a dog...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Yes
    dankind said:

LOL - that's a definite 'It' no matter the circumstances. Even in Sweden they'd have to say 'It'.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yes
    In Sweden you are not allowed to sell alcohol if you do not offer some kind of food. As in, places can't just sell alcohol.
    That could be interpreted as just selling chips, or do they mean proper meals? 

REQUIREMENTS FOR FOOD There should always be access to a varied range of cooked or otherwise prepared food. The food must be cooked in the kitchen and must not consist of only prefabricated ingredients. However, after 23:00 it can be enough with a few simple dishes.
    We do not have those requirements here, but my hunch tells me that if you sell food, the liquor licence is easier to come by.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Yes
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:

In Sweden we have:
    He = Han
    She = Hon
    Unknown gender = Hen

Just a question.

You keep talking about gender equality in Sweden and yet you call women "Hon"??

;)
    Yes
    Are you googling swedish cat names?
    No, I'm just very talented.
  • njnancy said:
    dankind said:

LOL - that's a definite 'It' no matter the circumstances. Even in Sweden they'd have to say 'It'.  
    Wrong. This is.