Options

Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• Options

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good luck with calligraphy if you're a southpaw.  I had fun yet inky times trying my hand (haha) at it when I was a kid.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,670

Practicing left-handed writing:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited December 2018
    I write in small caps almost all the time.

Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    I write in small caps almost all the time.

Oh great, now I've got that little Final Jeopardy jingle ear-worming my brain.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    This was taken from Ancestry's website...

At Ancestry, we enable journeys of self-discovery. As a result, we collect, process and store your Personal Information as you use our websites, mobile applications, and services (collectively the “Services”). Personal Information is information that can identify you, such as your name, email or street address, or it may be information that could reasonably be linked back to you, including your Genetic Information. This Privacy Statement describes our practices for collecting, storing and processing your Personal Information and the controls we provide you to manage it within our Services. In addition, we have a Cookie Policy that describes our use of browser cookies and similar tracking technologies which is considered a part of this Privacy Statement.

F That Man...
  • Options

At Ancestry, we enable journeys of self-discovery. As a result, we collect, process and store your Personal Information as you use our websites, mobile applications, and services (collectively the “Services”). Personal Information is information that can identify you, such as your name, email or street address, or it may be information that could reasonably be linked back to you, including your Genetic Information. This Privacy Statement describes our practices for collecting, storing and processing your Personal Information and the controls we provide you to manage it within our Services. In addition, we have a Cookie Policy that describes our use of browser cookies and similar tracking technologies which is considered a part of this Privacy Statement.

F That Man...
    No shit!  And what do they mean by "process" it?  Q: Are we not men?  A:  We are Devo Cattle.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,673
    brianlux said:

F That Man...
    No shit!  And what do they mean by "process" it?  Q: Are we not men?  A:  We are Devo Cattle.
    process is dna extraction
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,512
    I'm all for embracing technology...  I just enjoy (and much prefer) driving a vehicle on my own.
    Sometimes sacrifices must be made for the greater good. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

LOL...
    This is the only reason I don't have one of those, except it would be cat puke instead of shit.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:

LOL...
    This is the only reason I don't have one of those, except it would be cat puke instead of shit.
    LOL.  I never considered that.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

:lol:

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    A vast improvement over the prototype.

• Options
    Why some stores have pulled their self-checkout machines

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-tire-self-checkout-cashiers-automation-1.5011981?fbclid=IwAR3ox2p42iKriga4nlO894e0rL64nJp76NpUnE48mC-O_iOXwPU4P29hQBs

These self check-outs are just taking up space.  In the stores around me that has them, they are hardly used...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canadian-tire-self-checkout-cashiers-automation-1.5011981?fbclid=IwAR3ox2p42iKriga4nlO894e0rL64nJp76NpUnE48mC-O_iOXwPU4P29hQBs

These self check-outs are just taking up space.  In the stores around me that has them, they are hardly used...
    The grocery store is the 1 place I might...might...not select self checkout over a cashier. And usually it’s because I’m buying beer.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937

For most casual dining, I use Ritual or Uber Eats. For most grocery and drug store purchases, I use self-checkout. At least in my neck of the woods in Toronto, people seem to be more and more using self-serve over a cashier for check-out. In Shoppers Drug Mart or in Loblaw's, I save at least half the check-out time. Picking up a lunch, I save waiting in line, I show up precisely when my food's hot, and I walk out with lunch. 

If people aren't using self-serve, it just means that the company hasn't figured out an optimal self-serve design yet, but don't think that means it's going to be given up on: to a company it represents immense savings on personnel and better service for clients.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited February 2019

In the stores here they almost always have a line up for them, often longer than the ones at the manned checkouts. But it is true the self checkout scanning won't be the future. It takes too long and it ALL takes up a lot of space, not to mention employees.The future is eliminating checkouts altogether. Walk in by scanning your phone, walk out with your stuff. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    ^^^I have used them the odd time, but not often.  I always prefer the checkout with a cashier.  I am sure she does not want her/his job eliminated any quicker than need be.  I absolutely will never use one at any business owned/operated by the Weston family...fuck them assholes.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I rarely use self checkout because I'm too lazy and like when someone does it for me.
  • Options
    I try not to use self check out for two reasons:

1. I'd rather a real person have the job because real people need jobs more than machines.

2. On the off occasion I do use self-checkout, I tend to talk to the machine and this presents a couple of problems.  First off, the damn thing never responds to what I'm saying (it just gives me some generic "thank you" or "please take your change") and secondly, I don't like it that other people look at me like I'm crazy.  What's with that?

• Options
  • Options
    Sorry to be so indelicate, but I have to asks- is this a sanitary device for the wealthy elite or a car wash for assholes?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Sorry to be so indelicate, but I have to asks- is this a sanitary device for the wealthy elite or a car wash for assholes?
    lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    imagine the actress telling her parents about getting the part. 

Mom! MOM! I got an acting gig!
    Really? Sweetie, that's wonderful! what is it?
    well, it's a very intimate and girly part.....being feminine....enjoying a nice glass of wine in my favorite silky robe to celebrate my achievements. you know....
    watches the ad: wow, honey, your footwork is really good! your toes are so believable! I can pinpoint the exact second the water hits your sphincter! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    It's an overwrought commercial, but it's just a bidet for god's sake; it's not like they're anything new. The Japanese have had similarly involved machines for years as part of their societal views on cleanliness, body odours and noises. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    It's an overwrought commercial, but it's just a bidet for god's sake; it's not like they're anything new. The Japanese have had similarly involved machines for years as part of their societal views on cleanliness, body odours and noises. 
    it's hilariously over the top. 

I've never used one, and I can't imagine how long I'd have to sit there waiting for everything to be sufficiently dry. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    it's hilariously over the top. 

I've never used one, and I can't imagine how long I'd have to sit there waiting for everything to be sufficiently dry. 
    Well, that one has a dryer built in.  If it's a Dyson dryer, you'll be good to go in time...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…