2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    When 20 something’s followed PJ they weren’t legacy band status charging $120.

20 somethings should be following their favorite up and coming band charging $40-$50.
    Shit, Pearl Jam was in their mid to late 20's when they formed!  I kinda like the fact that I grew up right along with them. 

My worst pseudo festival was  Monsters of Rock at Giants Stadium back in the late 80's. I went to see Van Halen, but the crowd was into the newer thrash and death metal bands and they were throwing garbage and bottles down on  loge - where I was. We were soaking wet and covered with food and garbage. We were getting cut, slashed and pummeled by the bottles and all kinds of dangerous items  that wwew  raining down.  People even pulled the toilets off the walls. This went on for hours and hours and security couldn't do a damn thing, it was out of control.  

I was into heavy metal but this was bullshit..Never experienced any thing as bad as this. It was the era of the mega concerts and benefit concerts before festivals - Amnesty International Concert was awesome with 19 bands in Giants Stadium.that was a phenomenal experience. Live Aid I watched on TV. 

I stopped going to heavy metal concerts after that - the fans sucked. I still get pissed thinking of it.  
  • ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    When 20 something’s followed PJ they weren’t legacy band status charging $120.

20 somethings should be following their favorite up and coming band charging $40-$50.
    Totally agree, like I said I'm in northern Canada, luckily a decent amount of Canadian bands and large bands come through however smaller bands not from Canada rarely come but when they do thats what myself and my friends do follow them around  the whole province usually hitting 3 or 4 shows on the tour. Makes some great memories, just wish it happened more than 1 or so a year...
    2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • kaw753kaw753 Posts: 741
    It seems like the key to getting Pearl Jam to play every 2 nights for 3 years is simply to get them to do a farewell tour. Ozzy's is literally almost killing him, but he just got finished the Black Sabbath 3 year farewell tour. 
  • kaw753 said:
    It seems like the key to getting Pearl Jam to play every 2 nights for 3 years is simply to get them to do a farewell tour. Ozzy's is literally almost killing him, but he just got finished the Black Sabbath 3 year farewell tour. 
    That was almost a year and a half ago... Ozzy is going to tour solo until he dies... even if thats what eventually kills him 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    CW55354 said:
    For point of reference, a whole bunch of bands threatened to drop out of the first Woodstock when they found out about The Who’s $100,000 paycheck to play. Lang had to come up with money fast or he would have been in trouble. It’s always been about the money. Let’s not kid ourselves about that. 

As someone who went to ‘94 and ‘99 Woodstock, I hope I can get to go to this one, especially if Pearl Jam plays. ‘99 definitely had its problems, but I made the best of it and had a great time despite it all. 

I respectfully disagree.

PJ IMO  is by far the toughest ticket in the NYC area to get. 

They charged $115 including SC last time they played MSG? The cheapest a major in demand band charges here. They have left millions upon millions on the table here over the years. Bless them.

If they wanted to focus on earnings, they  could easily charge $175-200 average price at MSG and gross $3.5M a show, and sell out 10 in a row, 25 in a row, if they desire, with ease. And net about half that with no interim travel or backline costs for a summer residency.
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    bbiggs said:
    JimmyV said:
    I kinda doubt either of these festivals is going to have much to do with the spirit of Woodstock. This is going to be about making money.
    Bingo. 
    This stigma makes me chuckle. You guys laugh at me for defending something from bullshit criticism and then act like you 100% know for a fact it will be a nightmare. How far did you look into the crystal ball to see that one jack? 

The reason I'm defending music festivals is because I see them from a young persons perspective. I'm sorry guys, but the days of 20-somethings following their favorite bands around the country are over. Espeically when Ticketmaster tickets are $250+ fees, and a music festival with 60+ acts is the same price.
    Yes, you do have the same sort of attitude that my millenial son falls into often. I discourage it. 
    Is this supposed to be some kind of "stick it to um" comment? I'm not trying to step on anyones toes, only offering what I believe is valid skepticism. Yall are the ones who jumped my shit
    No. I have no desire to stick it to anyone. Well, in RL maybe. It was just an observation as a mom to a 'young person'.

There are stark similarities in communication. Nothing venomous or secretly manipulative intended. What I said is what I meant, nothing more.

For a band that rarely tours in the US, its a damn shame they are deciding to go the festival route.

Forgetting how special a packed arena is with only their fans, forgetting how old their OGT fans are and unwilling to stand in a field for 10 hours, forgetting what a clusterf*ck festivals can be.  in this very comment box, festivals are more money for the band AND  better for fans due to the "value." No, charge us VIP and platinum and watch the money.
  • Maybe they want some new fans...
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    This won't be popular but they really should charge more for tickets and offer VIP and Platinum packages.  The per show earnings would definitely motivate them to do a proper arena tour and less festivals. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Maybe they want some new fans...
    Then they should put out some new music. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Get_Right said:
    I really hope its not Watkins Glen.  I love festivals, but a 100,000 people in the middle of nowhere will be a challenge.
    a challenge is an under statement !! rail spots? posters? merch? the rain, the heat the lack of water. the parking lot, the brown acid
    way too many unknowns 
    I wouldn't have those concerns if it was a C3 production in a metropolitan area.  Watkins Glen is in a beautiful part of NY state, but it is remote.
    I guess I will wait and see what the lineup, costs, and logistics are before worrying about it. I love outdoor festivals when they are run well. 
    vedpunk said:
    This won't be popular but they really should charge more for tickets and offer VIP and Platinum packages.  The per show earnings would definitely motivate them to do a proper arena tour and less festivals. 

Paying $250 for premium quality vs $100 for standing in the mud like sardines for 10 hours with bratty children ****ing in bottles who dont buy albums. Premium tickets for premium band worth every penny.

They are nearing the end of their touring careers. How many US shows do they have left in them... 70? Why waste it on kids shoving you to the ground who will never buy an album anyway?
  • Get_Right said:
    a challenge is an under statement !! rail spots? posters? merch? the rain, the heat the lack of water. the parking lot, the brown acid
    way too many unknowns 
    I wouldn't have those concerns if it was a C3 production in a metropolitan area.  Watkins Glen is in a beautiful part of NY state, but it is remote.
    I guess I will wait and see what the lineup, costs, and logistics are before worrying about it. I love outdoor festivals when they are run well. 
    we did new orleans jazz fest one year and had an incredible life altering experience. the year ed hurt himself and bailed...
    multiple stages. 3 days of music. great food and everything. not a bad thing to say about it !
    BUT for jazzfest the music is over by dusk every night and its basically a trolly car away from many many french quarter hotels
    the main problem i see with woodstock 2019 is exactly as u say. remote is the problem. too many logistics and fighting with other people for the best camp spot, parking lot etc etc 
  • vedpunk said:

Paying $250 for premium quality vs $100 for standing in the mud like sardines for 10 hours with bratty children ****ing in bottles who dont buy albums. Premium tickets for premium band worth every penny.

They are nearing the end of their touring careers. How many US shows do they have left in them... 70? Why waste it on kids shoving you to the ground who will never buy an album anyway?
    What festivals do you go to??? 

"Voodoo" in New Orleans is by all means a "kid" festival in the way that you describe it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34fy1ao4mYo

Ask anyone who was there. Look at that setlist. Listen to the crowd on the boot. Good times. 

Ive seen some of the best shows of my life at Voodoo. Bands I would have never even thought to have listen to. 

And guess what. 
    I bought the album..
  • When 20 something’s followed PJ they weren’t legacy band status charging $120.

I would say when I was in my 20's ( 25 years ago ) I was just going to punk and hardcore shows , 4-10 bucks to get in. Get to see 5-6 bands , so many great shows and some acts that got crazy big.

Blink 182 (1996) - Jimmy Eat World (1998) - Green Day (1993) - At the Drive In ( 1998)

I tell my niece all the time she should be going to local shows ( easy when you leave near Boston ) and just see bands. I don't think I went to a arena concert until I was in my 30's and the first one I was on the lawn and could not believe I had paid 50 dollars to watch a big screen.

Better with it at 45.

vedpunk said:

What festivals do you go to??? 

"Voodoo" in New Orleans is by all means a "kid" festival in the way that you describe it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34fy1ao4mYo

Ask anyone who was there. Look at that setlist. Listen to the crowd on the boot. Good times. 

Ive seen some of the best shows of my life at Voodoo. Bands I would have never even thought to have listen to. 

And guess what. 
    I bought the album..
    I would love to go to Voodoo as NO must be a great scene when the festival is in town.  And I 100% agree, I always catch more than a few bands I never would go see including lesser known bands.  I think people hate festivals because you have to put effort into it and you are not getting close to the headliners without staying in one place for many hours.  I am happy by the chair line LOL. And I bought two albums after ACL in 2018 :)
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    CW55354 said:
    For point of reference, a whole bunch of bands threatened to drop out of the first Woodstock when they found out about The Who’s $100,000 paycheck to play. Lang had to come up with money fast or he would have been in trouble. It’s always been about the money. Let’s not kid ourselves about that. 

As someone who went to ‘94 and ‘99 Woodstock, I hope I can get to go to this one, especially if Pearl Jam plays. ‘99 definitely had its problems, but I made the best of it and had a great time despite it all. 

I respectfully disagree.

They charged $115 including SC last time they played MSG? The cheapest a major in demand band charges here. They have left millions upon millions on the table here over the years. Bless them.

If they wanted to focus on earnings, they  could easily charge $175-200 average price at MSG and gross $3.5M a show, and sell out 10 in a row, 25 in a row, if they desire, with ease. And net about half that with no interim travel or backline costs for a summer residency.
    My reference wasn’t about Pearl Jam, specifically. It was more to point out that money played as much of a factor in the original Woodstock as it does in every subsequent festival. A lot of people feel something has been lost in the 50 years since the first one. When you listen to what the original lineup had to say afterwards, money played just as important a part as today. The first one was a logistical nightmare, too. I just don’t understand when people talk down about going to this version of Woodstock as if something has been lost, when it’s really no different than the first one. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    ComeToTX said:
    Maybe they want some new fans...
    Then they should put out some new music. 
    I don't know if their most recent output is going to garner them any new fans.  ;)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    CW55354 said:
    CW55354 said:

I respectfully disagree.

My reference wasn’t about Pearl Jam, specifically. It was more to point out that money played as much of a factor in the original Woodstock as it does in every subsequent festival. A lot of people feel something has been lost in the 50 years since the first one. When you listen to what the original lineup had to say afterwards, money played just as important a part as today. The first one was a logistical nightmare, too. I just don’t understand when people talk down about going to this version of Woodstock as if something has been lost, when it’s really no different than the first one. 
    The difference is who are attending.  Hippies for the first.  iPhone charging, craft brew drinking hipsters for the second one.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    edited February 2019
    CW55354 said:
    CW55354 said:

I respectfully disagree.

I think this is pretty inaccurate. Yes, bands wanted to get paid, but many artists discuss the original Woodstock as a once in a lifetime event that, despite logistical or weather related hiccups, was pretty spectacular (although many were unhappy with how they performed). David Crosby, for one, often says exactly this on Twitter. Sure, it wasn't Monterey, but it maintained many of those ideals ,just on a much larger scale...much larger than what was predicted. 

The original also turned into a free concert and lost money until the movie became a hit. Both of those things are not going to happen with this version 

Also...the Who did not get paid 100k at Woodstock. Hendrix made the most at about $18,000. The Who were not even aMEGA band at that point...the film was part of what propelled them to superstardom 
    Post edited by NewJPage on
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
    NewJPage said:
    CW55354 said:
    CW55354 said:

I respectfully disagree.

I think this is pretty inaccurate. Yes, bands wanted to get paid, but many artists discuss the original Woodstock as a once in a lifetime event that, despite logistical or weather related hiccups, was pretty spectacular (although many were unhappy with how they performed). David Crosby, for one, often says exactly this on Twitter. Sure, it wasn't Monterey, but it maintained many of those ideals ,just on a much larger scale...much larger than what was predicted. 

The original also turned into a free concert and lost money until the movie became a hit. Both of those things are not going to happen with this version 

Also...the Who did not get paid 100k at Woodstock. Hendrix made the most at about $18,000. The Who were not even aMEGA band at that point...the film was part of what propelled them to superstardom 

You are absolutely correct that Woodstock ‘69  is seen as a once in a lifetime event, but a lot of that was in retrospect. You even said that it was much larger than predicted. What’s to say this version can’t be the same? If anything we are at a significant crossroads in our country and the world on par or even greater than in 1969. Why discount a festival’s impact before the lineups even announced?

And there’s no indication that’s today’s bands are more interested in getting paid that the bands then. You are correct, it was not $100,000 that The Who got paid. When I looked up the story to verify it before posting, it gave the amount as $100,000 in today’s dollars. Other bands were stilled pissed about the difference in amounts and threatened to drop out. Not judging, just saying not much was different then. 
    CW55354 said:
    You are absolutely correct that Woodstock ‘69  is seen as a once in a lifetime event, but a lot of that was in retrospect. You even said that it was much larger than predicted. What’s to say this version can’t be the same? If anything we are at a significant crossroads in our country and the world on par or even greater than in 1969. Why discount a festival’s impact before the lineups even announced?

And there’s no indication that’s today’s bands are more interested in getting paid that the bands then. You are correct, it was not $100,000 that The Who got paid. When I looked up the story to verify it before posting, it gave the amount as $100,000 in today’s dollars. Other bands were stilled pissed about the difference in amounts and threatened to drop out. Not judging, just saying not much was different then. 
    Oh yes there is.  Live performances provide the bulk of an artists revenue these days. In 1969 it was record company dough.  Not only that, but what do you think pays Lang's bills?  The Woodstock brand.  Perhaps I am being cynical, but I don't think the hippy ideals or the sense of activism is not the same as it was in 1969.  At least in the US. I do believe Woodstock is something to be celebrated, but I will be surprised if the event is not monetized to the hilt. Glamping at $5,000 for the weekend anybody? Baby boomers congregate! I really hope I am wrong and the event is a celebration and a true homage to the original, but suspect otherwise.
  • DrdealDrdeal Posts: 693

My worst pseudo festival was  Monsters of Rock at Giants Stadium back in the late 80's. I went to see Van Halen, but the crowd was into the newer thrash and death metal bands and they were throwing garbage and bottles down on  loge - where I was. We were soaking wet and covered with food and garbage. We were getting cut, slashed and pummeled by the bottles and all kinds of dangerous items  that wwew  raining down.  People even pulled the toilets off the walls. This went on for hours and hours and security couldn't do a damn thing, it was out of control.  

I was into heavy metal but this was bullshit..Never experienced any thing as bad as this. It was the era of the mega concerts and benefit concerts before festivals - Amnesty International Concert was awesome with 19 bands in Giants Stadium.that was a phenomenal experience. Live Aid I watched on TV. 

I stopped going to heavy metal concerts after that - the fans sucked. I still get pissed thinking of it.  

I was at that show to see Scorpions. I left before VH played. I had shitty seats so nothing rained on me.  Great show. Sorry it sucked for you. 

• my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 335
    woodstock 2019 will just be a very, very long superbowl halftime show...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Drdeal said:

I was at that show to see Scorpions. I left before VH played. I had shitty seats so nothing rained on me.  Great show. Sorry it sucked for you. 

You were blessed with upper tier tickets. It was a concert I was very excited about but having garbage thrown repeatedly into your beer is not cool. I stayed till the end. Love the Scorpions - seen them 3 times. Glad you had a good experience. 
    njnancy said:
    Drdeal said:

You were blessed with upper tier tickets. It was a concert I was very excited about but having garbage thrown repeatedly into your beer is not cool. I stayed till the end. Love the Scorpions - seen them 3 times. Glad you had a good experience. 

Sorry about that experience. Imagine it replicated in the mud, with no bathrooms nearby, jammed in with aggressive teens with poor sanitary habits.

If PJ were a US touring band I'd 

get this desire to play festivals. But their US arena shows are a rare bird. If money is their concern, there's an easy way to price arena shows with premium and fair prices in the building to maximize profit

The PJ arena experience is so special. Only PJ fans. Only PJ passion. Eddie on all fours wondering if the place is under attack because the Garden is rocking (live at tge garden dvd, h/t single podcast theory). Only wish the band saw it this way.

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    One thing that is quite overlooked is that the band has a pretty specific goal in playing venues and not all venues want to play by their rules or even meet them on some terms.  The types of arenas you have more flex access to are not in major cities, but they are also not the ones that tend to want to adhere to what the bands (not just pearl jam) want to do.  

Perfect example, the Times Union Center in Albany NY, it has finally hopefully come to grips with how to attract acts and work with them whereas for about the last decade prior it was a bureaucratic mess and bands would just fly over the venue on tours because the people running it were as I understand it a nightmare to work with.  

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

PB11041 said:
    One thing that is quite overlooked is that the band has a pretty specific goal in playing venues and not all venues want to play by their rules or even meet them on some terms.  The types of arenas you have more flex access to are not in major cities, but they are also not the ones that tend to want to adhere to what the bands (not just pearl jam) want to do.  

Perfect example, the Times Union Center in Albany NY, it has finally hopefully come to grips with how to attract acts and work with them whereas for about the last decade prior it was a bureaucratic mess and bands would just fly over the venue on tours because the people running it were as I understand it a nightmare to work with.  

That's very interesting, Id love to read more. And I'd love to drive to Albany for a residency :) , although its not perfectly centrally located

Based on what the band has said over the years, it seems they are fairly tight with the arenas in Philly and NYC. There's more people within a few hours drive of there, more than anywhere else. Seems an extended summer residency would make sense in this corridor. And LA. They've waited soooooo long.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    PB11041 said:

That's very interesting, Id love to read more. And I'd love to drive to Albany for a residency :) , although its not perfectly centrally located

Based on what the band has said over the years, it seems they are fairly tight with the arenas in Philly and NYC. There's more people within a few hours drive of there, more than anywhere else. Seems an extended summer residency would make sense in this corridor. And LA. They've waited soooooo long.
    definitely NOT advocating a residency in Albany, that would make no sense except for me and like 10 other people.  I am not even sure the residency thing ever makes too much sense for them.   Just saying the only time you are getting a venue like MSG for multiple nights in a row is July and August, maybe September, because NBA, NHL etc. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 914
    edited February 2019

Sorry about that experience. Imagine it replicated in the mud, with no bathrooms nearby, jammed in with aggressive teens with poor sanitary habits.
    Why do you keep assuming festivals are like this after account after account on here of people saying you are WRONG???

We get it.
    You don't like festivals and would rather see Pearl Jam in a big concrete metal building with piss poor sound. 

Different strokes for different folks. Accept it and move on. 
    Post edited by SandyRavage on