"This is the Pearl Jam package right here"

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    They must have been stoked when vinyl made a come back a few years later, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    does Lars ever not come across as a dick?
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe a little? :)  They keep saying vinyl sales are up 50% this year kind of thing, but vinyl sales were so low, that it's easy to have big percentages up.   In the big picture I doubt they sell more than 10000 vinyl copies of a new album.  Pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands (or millions) of cd's you sold back in the day :(
  • Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Maybe a little? :)  They keep saying vinyl sales are up 50% this year kind of thing, but vinyl sales were so low, that it's easy to have big percentages up.   In the big picture I doubt they sell more than 10000 vinyl copies of a new album.  Pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands (or millions) of cd's you sold back in the day :(
    It's all digital now...  There are a few hipsters that dig on vinyl but physical media is going away...
  • Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's all digital now...  There are a few hipsters that dig on vinyl but physical media is going away...
    Vinyl will have it's Place. Not competing with digital obviously, but it isn't going away.

Isn't the trend still that it's growing YoY.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Vinyl isn't going away anytime soon but I can see it at some point.

The (majority) kids these days don't care as much for physical product.

Cant blame them due to the condition the music industry is in these days.

• Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Vinyl will have it's Place. Not competing with digital obviously, but it isn't going away.

Isn't the trend still that it's growing YoY.

Jack White has been a huge proponent of that.

I've watched every RSD for the last 10 years and noticed the "limited" numbers creep up to the 5000 area for some of the bigger bands.

It's funny because 5000 isn't very many copies at all and a pressing that high would pretty much guarantee you a copy.  When it was 1-2000 of something or lower all the opportunists would line up to resell.  The more numbers means less flipping and I like that and also means that I am not going to sit on a line at 430 am waiting for the record store to open. 
  • Vinyl isn't going away anytime soon but I can see it at some point.

What has the conditiom of the music industry to do with young kids not going physical?

What has the conditiom of the music industry to do with young kids not going physical?

What doesn't the music industry have to do with what the consumer purchases?

to me,

- its less Rock n roll and more top 40 pop junk that's popular now. That's the current state of the music industry.

- purchasing Singles over entire albums

- Some artists are doing away with the though of recording an entire album altogether and replacing that with just recording/releasing a single or two.  

I can go on

Its not solely on the music industry itself, Digital media is part of the issue too. 

and, I'm not saying all youth will take a pass on vinyl/physical but the #'s wont likely support it. Just my guess.

• Vinyl isn't going away anytime soon but I can see it at some point.

Ummm, the young kids are the buying power.  They all buy "streaming services" as I'm sure you are too.

It's just what the future of music listening is now.  There will still be vinyl but never like what record sales used to be.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

to me,

- its less Rock n roll and more top 40 pop junk that's popular now. That's the current state of the music industry.

- Some artists are doing away with the though of recording an entire album altogether and replacing that with just recording/releasing a single or two.  

I can go on

Its not solely on the music industry itself, Digital media is part of the issue too. 

and, I'm not saying all youth will take a pass on vinyl/physical but the #'s wont likely support it. Just my guess.

i haven't bought a physical copy of a non-PJ album in about 15 years and i am far from youthfulness.  it's just the way of the world these days. it's not just young kids.
    pjhawks said:

to me,

I can go on

i haven't bought a physical copy of a non-PJ album in about 15 years and i am far from youthfulness.  it's just the way of the world these days. it's not just young kids.

I agree with you, but it is the youth that will destroy the physical product completely.

We (more mature) folks have taken the first shot but the youth will deliver the "death blow".

I am not a digital person myself so I cant say anything about that, but I used to purchase a shit load of cd's (new release(s)) when they came out. I used to go to the music store every Friday on new release day and grab something.

At times I felt like I was THE one who supported the physical media outlet and kept it running.

I will now only purchase Cd's and Vinyl for a select few of my favorites

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited February 2019

Perhaps, although when I go to the record store, it seems that the majority of the customers in it are actually quite young, so I dunno... I think at least the USED market appeals to them, because they can afford that. It's the new vinyl market that's tough I think, because it is SO fucking expensive, that younger generations (like millennials and younger, and there are millennials in their mid-30s now) really can't build a collection without going deep into credit card debt, lol. Also, I'm not talking about a mass market. It is and always will be a niche market, for sure. But there are a LOT of people in the world, so niche markets should definitely not be shrugged off as no big deal. I mean, it is actually a fact that as of now, the biggest money makers for bands are ticket sales and, yes, vinyl. They're not making SHIT off of digital streaming, so artists are going to milk the vinyl market for all it's worth, and do what they can to keep it alive. And I am seeing a TON of cheap ass turntables on the market now too, in all mainstream stores that sell electronics. So I'm not going to underestimate what the music and electronics industries can achieve when it comes to convincing the market to buy shit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    pjhawks said:

to me,

I can go on

I agree with you, but it is the youth that will destroy the physical product completely.

We (more mature) folks have taken the first shot but the youth will deliver the "death blow".

I am not a digital person myself so I cant say anything about that, but I used to purchase a shit load of cd's (new release(s)) when they came out. I used to go to the music store every Friday on new release day and grab something.

At times I felt like I was THE one who supported the physical media outlet and kept it running.

I will now only purchase Cd's and Vinyl for a select few of my favorites

I buy physical of Canadian artists and a few of my american favourites. everything else is digital. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2019
    That's spines T-shirt should have been the 2019 10 Club T-Shirt.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    RYME said:
    Agreed.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    RYME said:
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would they make a 10c shirt of something people are actually willing to pay money for?
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    mace1229 said:
    RYME said:
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would they make a 10c shirt of something people are actually willing to pay money for?
     I thought we did pay money for a shirt via 10C member$hip dues. =)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm more interested in how much effort bands are putting into making a record.  Or not making a record like, say for example, like, like, like...
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.