Options

New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited January 2019
    Alright, I stand corrected then. I couldn't hear him, but perhaps the jeers and chanting from the teens made it hard for me to decipher. I'm sure we can at least agree that his chanting was appropriate to what he was doing.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,830
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    After watching the video, I don't see why people have a problem with the kid that just stood there staring without saying a word. Is he being a douche by doing that? I guess. But the guy with the drum is right in his face. You can argue he's invading the kid's personal space. 
    But they guy wasn't in HIS face. The kid stepped up to the Drummer. ALL the kids actually surrounded the drummer the second he stepped between them and horrible freaks who were verbally abusing the teens. Why do people keep saying the drummer got in his face? That just isn't what happened. The drummer was literally left with no place to go at all once those kids surrounded him for some mysterious reason.
    Okay so the kid stepping up backs up my claim that the kid's a douche. Just some kid looking for attention. As far as the kids mysteriously surrounding him, to play devil's advocate for the kids because it is kinda strange, he's a street performer with an instrument making noise...and sometimes people gather around to see what's going on with stuff like that. I guess? God knows I wouldn't be interested in some beating a drum and chanting shit. 

I dunno, I just wonder how this would be perceived if it wasn't a Native American and "white kids in MAGA hats."

The saddest part of the video and the real thing we should be having a national conversation about was the kid at the 18-second mark wearing a Miami Dolphins hat. Sure a red MAGA hat may lead people to call you a racist or a fascist, but that's not as bad as being called a Dolphins fan! 

Full disclosure: I'm a Dolphins fan. 
    (just for clarity, the drummer never chanted anything. He was dead silent the whole time. I understand why you might think what you're saying, because what they actually did makes little sense, but no, I saw them surround him when he came up, and they did gather like an interested crowd. They did it like a riled up bunch of spazzes who were taken up in a wave of toxic masculinity, which they clearly do often. They pretty much had the entire routine down like an art. The had organized chest-beating chants and little dance moves and stuff. They were basically in the frame of mind that I assume they had in this photo. Yes, it has been confirmed that the kids in this photo is from that same school. And this is the exact same kind of behaviour that was directed towards the drummer (minus the offensive costumes obviously, but my own guess is if they had a costume truck to pull from, they would have been stoked about donning some Indian garb and face paint, lol). What I want to know is why in the fuck the adults at this school let these kids behave like this.

Watch the video again, the drummer-guy is definitely chanting. 

As for this photo, that's pretty fucking outrageous to be painted up in blackface like that.  And #23 should've given the punk that's next to him yelling a nice backhand. 
    Yeah the blackface costume is really fucked up. Do we know if there were any consequences?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    After watching the video, I don't see why people have a problem with the kid that just stood there staring without saying a word. Is he being a douche by doing that? I guess. But the guy with the drum is right in his face. You can argue he's invading the kid's personal space. 
    But they guy wasn't in HIS face. The kid stepped up to the Drummer. ALL the kids actually surrounded the drummer the second he stepped between them and horrible freaks who were verbally abusing the teens. Why do people keep saying the drummer got in his face? That just isn't what happened. The drummer was literally left with no place to go at all once those kids surrounded him for some mysterious reason.
    Okay so the kid stepping up backs up my claim that the kid's a douche. Just some kid looking for attention. As far as the kids mysteriously surrounding him, to play devil's advocate for the kids because it is kinda strange, he's a street performer with an instrument making noise...and sometimes people gather around to see what's going on with stuff like that. I guess? God knows I wouldn't be interested in some beating a drum and chanting shit. 

I dunno, I just wonder how this would be perceived if it wasn't a Native American and "white kids in MAGA hats."

The saddest part of the video and the real thing we should be having a national conversation about was the kid at the 18-second mark wearing a Miami Dolphins hat. Sure a red MAGA hat may lead people to call you a racist or a fascist, but that's not as bad as being called a Dolphins fan! 

Full disclosure: I'm a Dolphins fan. 
    (just for clarity, the drummer never chanted anything. He was dead silent the whole time. I understand why you might think what you're saying, because what they actually did makes little sense, but no, I saw them surround him when he came up, and they did gather like an interested crowd. They did it like a riled up bunch of spazzes who were taken up in a wave of toxic masculinity, which they clearly do often. They pretty much had the entire routine down like an art. The had organized chest-beating chants and little dance moves and stuff. They were basically in the frame of mind that I assume they had in this photo. Yes, it has been confirmed that the kids in this photo is from that same school. And this is the exact same kind of behaviour that was directed towards the drummer (minus the offensive costumes obviously, but my own guess is if they had a costume truck to pull from, they would have been stoked about donning some Indian garb and face paint, lol). What I want to know is why in the fuck the adults at this school let these kids behave like this.

Watch the video again, the drummer-guy is definitely chanting. 

As for this photo, that's pretty fucking outrageous to be painted up in blackface like that.  And #23 should've given the punk that's next to him yelling a nice backhand. 
    Well he’s not doing anything wrong by screaming. Now, he appears to have stepped down onto the sideline/court. Probably should have either been warned or kicked out for that. Again, it’s a still picture 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Alright, I stand corrected then. I could hear him, but perhaps the jeers and chanting from the teens made it hard for me to decipher. I'm sure we can at least agree that his chanting was appropriate to what he was doing.
    Yeah I'd agree with that. Chanting and drum-banging seem to go hand-in-hand. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Guess y'all need a distraction from what really matters, Team Trump Treason campaign coordinating a hack of the DNC with Russian hackers, being specific in their request for damaging information. But yea, privileged high school kids, a Native American drummer with driving and alcohol violations from 40+ years ago and some whack job black Israelite Jew. Keep those priorities straight, will ya?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Alright, I stand corrected then. I could hear him, but perhaps the jeers and chanting from the teens made it hard for me to decipher. I'm sure we can at least agree that his chanting was appropriate to what he was doing.
    Yeah I'd agree with that. Chanting and drum-banging seem to go hand-in-hand. 
    Kinda depends on what you are trying to do. Diffuse a tense situation? Not sure that’s as effective as talking ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Why are they “privileged”?
  • Options
    Guess y'all need a distraction from what really matters, Team Trump Treason campaign coordinating a hack of the DNC with Russian hackers, being specific in their request for damaging information. But yea, privileged high school kids, a Native American drummer with driving and alcohol violations from 40+ years ago and some whack job black Israelite Jew. Keep those priorities straight, will ya?
    Well this thread is about toxic masculinity, and those kids came along and displayed it big time just when this thread came along.
    Why would be discuss those other topics in this thread? And why shouldn't be discuss this topic - obviously it's related to a bigger issue, but also, we're just here having a conversation - no need to come along and tell us we shouldn't be.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Kinda weird that I can keep track of all this nonsense at the same time. 

I personally loved stones Nixon pose. What a treasonous asshat.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well this thread is about toxic masculinity, and those kids came along and displayed it big time just when this thread came along.
    Why would be discuss those other topics in this thread? And why shouldn't be discuss this topic - obviously it's related to a bigger issue, but also, we're just here having a conversation - no need to come along and tell us we shouldn't be.
    Yeah come on, Halifax. There's plenty of Trump threads on this board. Not everybody wants to talk about him every waking moment. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah come on, Halifax. There's plenty of Trump threads on this board. Not everybody wants to talk about him every waking moment. 
    Sometimes I literally just have to turn the news off because I can't take anymore Trump for the day, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sometimes I literally just have to turn the news off because I can't take anymore Trump for the day, lol.
    Agreed. I made the mistake of getting back into the trump thread. I m done. Let’s talk pizza, ikea, how to spell your name and old dudes playing drums. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I went over my father's house for dinner last night and the first thing I heard when I walked in the door was Trump's voice. My father had MSNBC on the television. I'm like "Dad, I had a long day. I can't listen to this guy right now." My Dad said "Okay well throw on The Beatles or something." I couldn't help but laugh. Talk about going from one extreme to another. From Trump talking about his border wall to Paul singing Back in the USSR. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The news today is very damning but the privileged youth acting like asshats is such a more pressing issue. I get that not everyone wants to discuss Team Trump Treason everyday but you're witnessing the greatest political crime and cover up, with Russia no less, since Watergate and posters can wax poetic and go on and on about something that really has not one impact on any of our lives. Team Trump Treason and Team Mueller, meh, fake news. Putin on the ritz is proud.
    mcgruff10 said:

Of the three groups in the conflict, who or which one is privileged?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Maybe politics is not that all in important to some people, actually probably a lot more than you think.  And there is nothing wrong with people who have better things to do than worry what a bunch of blowhard politicians are up to.  The honest person will admit most politicians are self-serving...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

The news today is very damning but the privileged youth acting like asshats is such a more pressing issue. I get that not everyone wants to discuss Team Trump Treason everyday but you're witnessing the greatest political crime and cover up, with Russia no less, since Watergate and posters can wax poetic and go on and on about something that really has not one impact on any of our lives. Team Trump Treason and Team Mueller, meh, fake news. Putin on the ritz is proud.
    mcgruff10 said:

No I am asking, why are the white kids privileged?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJSoul...you know about sports?

Thats was a blackout. Encouraged to wear all black (happens a lot) same with whiteouts or all red or whatever. Yelling at the opposing team is quite normal. Trying to create a home advantage. Now if they could be going to far but I don’t know what they are saying or if just screaming.

now the kids painting their faces. No idea if the motivation was more than just going all black for blackout. Regardless they or at least their parents and the school officials at the game should know better. Clearly they do not since the school posted that picture themselves. Ignorant for sure. Racist? Perhaps, don’t know.
    You don't see the minstrel paint on the one on the right?
    That's clearly blackface.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Their parents have thousands of extra dollars lying around that they choose to spend on sending their kids to a school that caters to their delusions.
    How do you not see privilege in that?
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,991
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

The government gives us thousands of dollars for being white. You don;t get yours? Your parents probably stole it.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Their parents have thousands of extra dollars lying around that they choose to spend on sending their kids to a school that caters to their delusions.
    Kids are privileged if they go to a private school?  Interesting. I know lots of people who send their kids to private schools for a time period because the public school sucks in their town.  I never thought of those kids or any kid that goes to a private school as privileged. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't think this qualifies as "white privilege," in the way that term is used. Or at least my understanding of it. I've always figured it meant to be immune to the struggles (racism, marginalization) that minorities face in America. "Spoiled brats" seems like a more appropriate tag for these kids. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    from snopes:

Based on comments in the BluegrassPreps message board, the intent of the black body paint was not racial but was instead a school tradition related to “black out” games, during which fans wore black to support the team. That being said, at least one person in the thread posited a connection to racist minstrel shows from the 19th century that used blackface on white actors to depict African Americans unfavorably. “That guy on the right looks like he might have been researching minstrelsy before the game,” one post read.

We reached out to the director of athletics at Covington Catholic via email to get more clarity on their cheering practices and will update our post if we receive a response. Regardless of intent, however, the photograph is an authentic depiction of a Covington Catholic basketball game that we infer took place on 27 November 2012.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

The government gives us thousands of dollars for being white. You don;t get yours? Your parents probably stole it.
    Then I'm owed 52 years back payment???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Being born white, to upper middle class parents, attending private school and probably not ever having had to struggle, for anything, whether it be food, clothes, shelter, etc. and thus, not understand how or why the black guy might be ranting crazy shit or the Native American is banging a drum and is present at a protest (this occurred on the day of the Indigenous People's March, right?).

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    rgambs said:
    PJSoul...you know about sports?

Thats was a blackout. Encouraged to wear all black (happens a lot) same with whiteouts or all red or whatever. Yelling at the opposing team is quite normal. Trying to create a home advantage. Now if they could be going to far but I don’t know what they are saying or if just screaming.

now the kids painting their faces. No idea if the motivation was more than just going all black for blackout. Regardless they or at least their parents and the school officials at the game should know better. Clearly they do not since the school posted that picture themselves. Ignorant for sure. Racist? Perhaps, don’t know.
    You don't see the minstrel paint on the one on the right?
    That's clearly blackface.
    I think it's possible, maybe even likely, that race did not really enter their heads when they dressed in black from head to toe and even when they put on the blackface.  That makes them outrageously tone deaf.  If this happened more than once, it makes their school administration pretty awful, too. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Kids are privileged if they go to a private school?  Interesting. I know lots of people who send their kids to private schools for a time period because the public school sucks in their town.  I never thought of those kids or any kid that goes to a private school as privileged. 
    I would say, as respectfully as possible, that this response shows a significant level of privilege lol 
    If you can't even see it, you are swimming pretty deep in it.

My parents could barely afford to send me to PUBLIC school!  I was a free lunch kid for some time, reduced up to highschool.

Yes, private school kids are privileged.  Period.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

I am actually capable of thinking about more than one thing at a time.
  • Options
    All that being said, there's no reason to hate these kids, or any kids, because of their privilege.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

mcgruff10 said:

Being born white, to upper middle class parents, attending private school and probably not ever having had to struggle, for anything, whether it be food, clothes, shelter, etc. and thus, not understand how or why the black guy might be ranting crazy shit or the Native American is banging a drum and is present at a protest (this occurred on the day of the Indigenous People's March, right?).
    Damn you got all that from the video?  wow.
    What is wrong with protesting non violently for something you believe in?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would say, as respectfully as possible, that this response shows a significant level of privilege lol 
    If you can't even see it, you are swimming pretty deep in it.

My parents could barely afford to send me to PUBLIC school!  I was a free lunch kid for some time, reduced up to highschool.

Yes, private school kids are privileged.  Period.
    It sucks you that you were poor growing up but I still don't see kids going to a private school as privileged.  You don't know whether or not some of those parents are busting their ass at a second job or taking loans out to send their kids to a better school.  
    I work an extra job so I can provide things for my kids: little league, vacations, bigger house, music lessons, etc.  Does that make them privileged?