Options

2020 Tour Rumor Thread

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    MAMIAST said:

One of the first articles that felt like we got some truth on the album.  Sounds like Ed isn't too keen on making records.

Ya going off of that the record is still aways out. 

Gossard says that he, too, is ready to resume focus on recording with Pearl Jam. “We’re going to make a record, and we’re in the middle of it,” the guitarist says. “We’re just going to keep plugging away until we get one done.”

“We’ve gone in, probably, four or five times in the last couple of years, so we have a whole ton of unfinished stuff,” Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    These lines really sum up what is going on in the pearl jam world:
    “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says.
    Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”
    "This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen. It just hasn’t happened for some reason.”
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    “It’d be fun to record or even just write a song together,” bassist Jeff Ament says.
    Ament says. “We’re just sort of in a little bit of  limbo. I’m sure everybody’s got a bunch more riffs, and I’m sure Ed’s got a handful of journal lyrics. It’s just going to take us all getting into a room together for six weeks and just knocking something out.”
    "This is a broken record, but I think I’ve said that I would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if that was what could happen. It just hasn’t happened for some reason.”
    The last quote at the bottom is very telling. 
  • Options
    prlprl Posts: 125
    MAMIAST said:

One of the first articles that felt like we got some truth on the album.  Sounds like Ed isn't too keen on making records.

Bring Neil Young in and give us a new Mirror Ball.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    prl said:
    MAMIAST said:

Bring Neil Young in and give us a new Mirror Ball.
    Ed giveth and Ed taketh away.
  • Options
    CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    The article reminds me of the lyrics to “Off He Goes,”

“The story of "Off He Goes" concerns a friend who periodically comes whirling in and out of the protagonist's life. In an interview, Vedder revealed himself to be the friend. Vedder said, "The song 'Off He Goes' is really about me being a shit friend. I'll show up and everything's great and then all of [a] sudden I'm outta there..."During a Pearl Jam performance on June 16, 2000 in Katowice, Vedder said before starting the song that "this is about being friends with an asshole," and pointed at himself.”

I remember interviews with with former members of Bad Radio who have said similar things. How Ed would go off and do things on his own, and they were left wondering why they weren’t included. Oh well.  When he does come back, hopefully there will be great new music and a tour. 
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,422
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yeah, that stuck out for me too.

Looks like were not looking at a new album soon. Maybe later in the year? or a little sooner?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,746
    MAMIAST said:
    A sad read. Doesn't sound promising of a new Pearl Jam album or shows this year.

mcgruff10 said:
    The drive just isn’t there for Ed. Why go through the recording process when you can play sold out stadium shows?  

That's true. No need to get into a studio & write new tunes knowing your band can sell out stadium shows in a matter of seconds.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What’s Eddie up to these days. What’s the reason?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    CW55354 said:
    I just got a save the date for a relative’s wedding the same weekend as Woodstock. I was planning on going whether Pearl Jam played or not, but now I’m sure they will play. Same thing happened for their HOF induction. 
    a buddy of mine, the biggest soundgarden fan I know, had a wedding to go to the same weekend as the SG show in Minneapolis. I couldn't find anyone else who'd go. He said we'd catch them next time. 

that next time never happened. 

go to woodstock. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetrios said:
    MAMIAST said:
    A sad read. Doesn't sound promising of a new Pearl Jam album or shows this year.

mcgruff10 said:
    The drive just isn’t there for Ed. Why go through the recording process when you can play sold out stadium shows?  

That's true. No need to get into a studio & write new tunes knowing your band can sell out stadium shows in a matter of seconds.

I'm okay with no new album as long as that doesn't mean no tour.  Earlier in this thread there was debate whether there is linkage between these items.  Hopefully there isn't.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Its all good. Enjoy life until they announce the next big show for the summer sometime in March.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,748
    kst said:
    demetrios said:
    MAMIAST said:

mcgruff10 said:

I'm okay with no new album as long as that doesn't mean no tour.  Earlier in this thread there was debate whether there is linkage between these items.  Hopefully there isn't.
    Would they seriously do another NA tour with out an album? I hope they do as the 2016 and 2018 tours were great but I would be surprised if it happened since they would be touring the next year the same locations to promote the album. 
  • Options
    critteraucritterau Posts: 199
    Get_Right said:
    Its all good. Enjoy life until they announce the next big show for the summer sometime in March.
    Show? Not plural. Which probably means Woodstock. Barf. 
    Bham 9/3/98
    Atl 8/7/00, Houston 10/14/00
    Bham 4/9/03, Nash 4/18/03, Atl 4/19/03, Boston 7/11/03, Hershey 7/12/03
    Orlando 10/8/04
    Camden 5/27, 5/28/06
    PJ20 9/3 & 9/4/11
    Missoula 9/30/12
    Wrigley 7/19/13
    Charlotte 10/30/13, SD 11/21/13, LA 2 11/24/13
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

All you can do.  Just gotta manage expectations.  We didn't expect them to go full on Rolling Stones route this early but we knew that day would come and it was here several years ago.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    critterau said:
    Get_Right said:
    Show? Not plural. Which probably means Woodstock. Barf. 
    I know nothing.  By show I mean a festival or another ballpark.  Festival organizers are probably offering 2-3 million for PJ to headline.
    Could be Woodstock, could be lollapalooza. This is just masturbatory speculation though. I know nothing. It just seems like that is the trend.  Play a festival or ball park, and do a few scattered shows.
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 752
    If they hate touring, the EZ solution is a residency at The Hard Rock here in Vegas. Do a Thursday + Saturday for 4 weeks in a row, leave the equipment in Vegas, and everyone is happy. Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, and everyone else is doing it. The Hard Rock is a wonderful place to see a show as it holds about 3000 and the lower level is all GA. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Couldn’t tell you. My comment had nothing to do with Eddie. The quote is telling in that the band is not a cohesive unit for some reason, as Jeff implied by saying he would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if he could. Not sure where you got anything Eddie related out of that. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,610
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Couldn’t tell you. My comment had nothing to do with Eddie. The quote is telling in that the band is not a cohesive unit for some reason, as Jeff implied by saying he would record a lot more with Pearl Jam if he could. Not sure where you got anything Eddie related out of that. 
    I always get the impression that it hinges on Ed. Probably a lot of the songs get cleaned up and arranged by him. This combined with the fact that he’s writing most of the lyrics, which I don’t think come easy, or they don’t meet his own expectations. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    kaw753 said:
    If they hate touring, the EZ solution is a residency at The Hard Rock here in Vegas. Do a Thursday + Saturday for 4 weeks in a row, leave the equipment in Vegas, and everyone is happy. Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, and everyone else is doing it. The Hard Rock is a wonderful place to see a show as it holds about 3000 and the lower level is all GA. 

3000? Isn't that like having the Super Bowl at a HS field? Theyd need to do 40 hard rock shows to make a dent in the fanbase, and they dont like playing together that often.

If anything, do an arena residency in the summer. Do it in a big city, such as LA or NY. In the summer when families can travel with. 21 days 12 shows. Limited travel so ample time to write songs or record together. 240,000 fans with limited time and travel investment.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Get_Right said:

All you can do.  Just gotta manage expectations.  We didn't expect them to go full on Rolling Stones route this early but we knew that day would come and it was here several years ago.

Manage expectations?

The fans did not say "forthcoming new album" ten months ago. 

Pearl Jam did that.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,919
    Dave Matthews Band just announced a big tour this morning.  Would be nice if PJ did the same over the next few weeks but I doubt it.  With the news from the recent Rolling Stone article, I'm not sure if we should keep our hopes up for 2019 or not. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    just_onejust_one Lisbon Posts: 1,945
    edited January 2019
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i will probably get a lot of shit for what im about to say but i think Ed (and to an extend PJ because none of the rest of the band wants to "rock the boat" and take the control of the band from Ed) has become what they were fighting against being in the 90´s.

Im not talking anything from the lastest albums , hell i love Lightning Bolt but something radically changed in 2006/2007 within the band. From mini-tours (the 2009 european tour is the main proof ) to the huge increase in price tickets , lack of comunication with the fan club and lost of stuff members get (see x-mas single).

they just cant be bother with anything these days, they know FULL WELL at this point what´s going on with the merch prices and situation and what do they do ? absolutly NOTHING about it.

They are living out their lifes from past accolates at this point and especially Ed seems to fine with it. People like Jeff and Stone know , or seem to have some notion of what going on but choose not to do anything about it because i imagine all the money they get for just playing a few shows here and there and have side projects in which they can take their creative vision.

Yes they still mix the live setlists a bit but let´s be real and honest for a minute since 2014 the setlists have become very predictable , 2 or 3 slow songs opening the show , a few gems in the middle of the main set , 2 or 3 accustic songs in the first encore and end the show with alive / cover / Ledbetter or Indifference

I really wish to know what would be Eddie pre-2006 opinion on what PJ has become these days...

Post edited by just_one on
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,351
    just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i will probably get a lot of shit for what im about to say but i think Ed (and to an extend PJ because none of the rest of the band wants to "rock the boat" and take the control of the band from Ed) has become what they were fighting against being in the 90´s.

Im not talking anything from the lastest albums , hell i love Lightning Bolt but something radically changed in 2006/2007 within the band. From mini-tours (the 2009 european tour is the main proof ) to the huge increase in price tickets , lack of comunication with the fan club and lost of stuff members get (see x-mas single).

they just cant be bother with anything these days, they know FULL WELL at this point what´s going on with the merch prices and situation and what do they do ? absolutly NOTHING about it.

They are living out their lifes from past accolates at this point and especially Ed seems to fine with it. People like Jeff and Stone know , or seem to have some notion of what going on but choose not to do anything about it because i imagine all the money they get for just playing a few shows here and there and have side projects in which they can take their creative vision.

Yes they still mix the live setlists a bit but let´s be real and honest for a minute since 2014 the setlists have become very predictable , 2 or 3 slow songs opening the show , a few gems in the middle of the main set , 2 or 3 accustic songs in the first encore and end the show with alive / cover / Ledbetter or Indifference

I really wish to know what would be Eddie pre-2006 opinion on what PJ has become these days...

I don't necessarily disagree with what you've stated (some good points) but the 25-year-old me would likely not be completely thrilled about what I've become 20-25 years later, either. Life happens and we change - for better or worse.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I always get the impression that it hinges on Ed. Probably a lot of the songs get cleaned up and arranged by him. This combined with the fact that he’s writing most of the lyrics, which I don’t think come easy, or they don’t meet his own expectations. 
    this is the same impression that is driving Maynard James Keenan bonkers about the Tool holdup. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    So we are looking at Woodstock and 10-15 dates around that time, likely before the festival, hence the language of early August?

• Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    @HughFreakingDillon Are you talking about Northern Invasion? I might get blasted for this, but be glad you didn't go. I was there and it was awful. Half the pit had cleared out by the second or third song. I only stayed because I hoped it would get better. It didn't. Swarms of people were hitting up the merch tents, asking for refunds. It was a bad night for SG fans. 
  • Options
    just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is 50% of why I'm selling off my merch collection.  If they aren't into it than why would I be?
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    just_one said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is 50% of why I'm selling off my merch collection.  If they aren't into it than why would I be?
    They could never play another song together again and I will still love their music until the day I die.  I get it, I'm jealous of the DMB fans (or that country rock guy, can't think of his name) who tour the U.S. sheds every summer and I do wish they were more into new music and touring, but I listen to PJ shows every single day and feel fortunate that we have so much music to enjoy.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,797
    Sounds like the Woodstock rumour is going to come to fruition. Sounds like beginning of  August is a good time for vacation for anyone who might need to make a request. Also sounds like a full North America tour depending on album completion

*this can all change 
    Thanks for the intel 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....????