New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    This opening quote is the best and so true " But since modern cultural discourse involves two constantly outraged tribes careening wildly from one controversy to the next, this perfectly inoffensive message has somehow been rendered bad by team red."
    this is something I've been saying for some time. I'm getting so exhausted from all of the outrage, and people getting outraged over the outrage, and people getting outraged over the outrage over the outrage, calling the other "team's" outrage "fake" or "faux" just because it doesn't align with your outrage, etc. 

I'm tired. 
    lol,  you'd better take a break from AMT then.  I do every now and again when it gets to be too much!
    so do I. my breaks are coming closer and closer together all the time. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    it's an advertisement by gillette. 
    No it's not. An advertisement serves notice of a product or service. This is a short propaganda film. And that's not a bad thing. "Propaganda" usually has a negative connotation but it really means to promote a particular point of view. That's what this video does. It doesn't advertise anything. 
    ads also serve another purpose: building your brand. which is exactly what this does. 
    The video has 852K dislikes vs. 438K likes on YouTube. I don't know how well that's going to build Gillette's brand. 
    I expect Gillette will come out of this ahead, but it is a little different than with Nike. After all, hipster men don’t necessarily shave, so their brand support may be less significant ;)

Yes but women still buy the most products...even male products for their families.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    No it's not. An advertisement serves notice of a product or service. This is a short propaganda film. And that's not a bad thing. "Propaganda" usually has a negative connotation but it really means to promote a particular point of view. That's what this video does. It doesn't advertise anything. 
    ads also serve another purpose: building your brand. which is exactly what this does. 
    The video has 852K dislikes vs. 438K likes on YouTube. I don't know how well that's going to build Gillette's brand. 
    I expect Gillette will come out of this ahead, but it is a little different than with Nike. After all, hipster men don’t necessarily shave, so their brand support may be less significant ;)

Yes but women still buy the most products...even male products for their families.
    Yes, I know. The same point may apply to hipster women. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    mrussel1 said:
    This opening quote is the best and so true " But since modern cultural discourse involves two constantly outraged tribes careening wildly from one controversy to the next, this perfectly inoffensive message has somehow been rendered bad by team red."
    this is something I've been saying for some time. I'm getting so exhausted from all of the outrage, and people getting outraged over the outrage, and people getting outraged over the outrage over the outrage, calling the other "team's" outrage "fake" or "faux" just because it doesn't align with your outrage, etc. 

I'm tired. 
    I’m outraged and what we call “modern cultural discourse”. We’re in a flux as far as society goes with what we determine the venue is for discourse that reflects the larger population. I’m probably safe in saying there was a total of 20 face to face conversations across the country where two people debated about the message in this commercial. 

I’ve been mucking around twitter lately after following several conservative for a different take on things. That’s largely a garbage bin of cheerleading, chest thumping and insults, with little back and forth. Facebook dialogue depends on how many nutty friends you have, and even then people’s total number of friends is low (<1000). On the backside of sorting out the relatively newly invented internet, I think we’ll have a decent grasp on what qualifies for valid dialogue. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:

I'm tired. 
    I’m outraged and what we call “modern cultural discourse”. We’re in a flux as far as society goes with what we determine the venue is for discourse that reflects the larger population. I’m probably safe in saying there was a total of 20 face to face conversations across the country where two people debated about the message in this commercial. 

I’ve been mucking around twitter lately after following several conservative for a different take on things. That’s largely a garbage bin of cheerleading, chest thumping and insults, with little back and forth. Facebook dialogue depends on how many nutty friends you have, and even then people’s total number of friends is low (<1000). On the backside of sorting out the relatively newly invented internet, I think we’ll have a decent grasp on what qualifies for valid dialogue. 
    This country was split in 1968 and that split reverberates today.  Sadly, I feel like until that generation is truly overtaken by the younger ones, this polarization will not end.  I'm hopeful that X, M and Z will heal the rift.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    which is another way of saying, on a secondary advertising platform 1.3 million eyeballs have seen it. and its under discussion.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    edited January 2019
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    When I think of word association with Gillette, the first word that comes to mind is "cheaters"
    Jason P said:
    When I think of word association with Gillette, the first word that comes to mind is "cheaters"
    Yeah agreed.  Hate them too.  Good razors though
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    i prefer Schick blades.  but i wouldn't stop using Gillette based on a silly commercial.  Right wing rapists are such snowflakes.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I'm not a big fan of ads but this ad is better than most and the message is great,  "Real men don't treat women as sex objects and real men don't bully".  That's what I get from it and that works just great for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    1. People can change for the better, but it usually requires a long term, nutured, healthy relationship, not a 4 minute ad.

2. I think the ad would have been better if it started with scenes of chivalry and kindness, then a clan of hairballs come in and try to teach the kids to be bullys.  Gillette could have came in at the end with the tagline "God shave us all"
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/mlk-sites-atlanta-opening-government-shutdown/index.html

Just another instance of stupid corporate greed!  Delta just wants to get good publicity from this! fuck the $ makers!

Of course I'm kidding..but some here won't be.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Malroth said:
    1. People can change for the better, but it usually requires a long term, nutured, healthy relationship, not a 4 minute ad.

2. I think the ad would have been better if it started with scenes of chivalry and kindness, then a clan of hairballs come in and try to teach the kids to be bullys.  Gillette could have came in at the end with the tagline "God shave us all"
    Or "God shave the Queen".

We should be Mad Men.  ;)  Gillette doesn't know what they're missing.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,412
    Malroth said:

ignorance is bliss
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    God shave us all. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    mickeyrat said:
    Malroth said:

ignorance is bliss
    Not when it is keeping me from achieving my dream of day drinking in the office. 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    I use Bic single blade razors, not overpriced at all!
    Same here.
    Something would go traumatically wrong for me if I tried to use a single blade disposable or a silver blue.

As far as Gillette, I think they know a few things and geared this ad towards that knowledge.  Whether it's successful like Nike is yet to be seen:
    1. Millenials are the single largest adult group in this country now (this surprised me but I saw it in a few places... what happened to us Xers??)
    2. Millenials are drawn to companies that are socially conscious.  This is different than the "shut up and sing" generation.  
    3. Women buy more of these products, both for themselves, and for their partners than men.  

So I think men were the subject of the ad, not the target. 
    I can't speak for disposables but the Silver Blues are super smooth.  Just need a closed comb handle and it's practically impossible to cut yourself.
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    Same here.
    Something would go traumatically wrong for me if I tried to use a single blade disposable or a silver blue.

As far as Gillette, I think they know a few things and geared this ad towards that knowledge.  Whether it's successful like Nike is yet to be seen:
    1. Millenials are the single largest adult group in this country now (this surprised me but I saw it in a few places... what happened to us Xers??)
    2. Millenials are drawn to companies that are socially conscious.  This is different than the "shut up and sing" generation.  
    3. Women buy more of these products, both for themselves, and for their partners than men.  

I can't speak for disposables but the Silver Blues are super smooth.  Just need a closed comb handle and it's practically impossible to cut yourself.
    I don't know.. my Fusion is pretty precise.  I don't know if I want to take a chance with something new on race day.  

• https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/mlk-sites-atlanta-opening-government-shutdown/index.html

Just another instance of stupid corporate greed!  Delta just wants to get good publicity from this! fuck the $ makers!

Of course I'm kidding..but some here won't be.
    I actually don't like anybody else picking up the Gov't tab.

We pay taxes for that park to be functioning.

The gov't gets a free pass when things like this happen albeit it a good offering and they shouldn't.

Get bolt cutters, cut the lock and enjoy your park.
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    rgambs said:
    Same here.

I don't know.. my Fusion is pretty precise.  I don't know if I want to take a chance with something new on race day.  

Dale Sr fans were always nuts.

Toxic Masculinity at it's finest, lol!

And that guy really exists somewhere.  

• Oh man you're going to hell for that one, lol.

RIP Sr.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Oh man you're going to hell for that one, lol.

RIP Sr.
    And RIP seagull.

https://youtu.be/nkyntWOMkrY
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yikes!  Hey, who turned this into a damn NASCAR thread??  THREAD INTEGRITY!  
    mrussel1 said:
    one could argue that Nascar and toxic masculinity go hand in hand. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1 said:
    I am a huge NASCAR fan and I do not resemble that remark...  But it can lean true for the rest...
    mrussel1 said:
    I am a huge NASCAR fan and I do not resemble that remark...  But it can lean true for the rest...
    I love cars and bikes and I can watch any racing, from dirt bike, to moto, to F1 and NASCAR.  I agree that racing is not about culture first and foremost.