New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I watched the WHOLE video - all 1 hour 46 minutes of it (the kids don't factor in for the first hour or more). There was no Jewish group there at all as far as I can tell. They were nut job racist Christians who think there are race wars in America's near future. They do keep calling themselves the "children of Israel", but they are praising Jesus.
    God bless you.

What other nuggets did you uncover?
    Well, here is the blow by blow synopsis, lol.

This crazy "Christian" loudmouth was with I think 4 other people, but he was the mouthpiece for this little ragtag gang of religious misfits, lol. The others mostly stayed quiet. He was just standing in the middle of the square shouting hateful religious and political nonsense to anyone who happened to be walking by or standing in the general vicinity. He was basically the political equivalent of one of those people dressed in rags on a street corner holding up a sign about how the world is ending and to repent, babbling about end of days. A few people tried to engage/debate him, but he was just spewing such hateful, vile garbage that very few had the patience to engage for any amount of time (he was sexist, homophobic, racist, you name it, and at the same time hating on Trump and the Catholic Church, and both major political parties and everyone who support either one - he literally hates EVERYONE, lol). He was particularly disgusting when this women tried to engage. He and his buddies was SO fucking sexist towards her. Meanwhile, this group of teenagers were slowly gathering way in the background. As that group grew, more of them seemed to start taking note of what this crackpot was yelling about, although they just seemed amused, like "look at the clown over there" kind of attitude, which seemed appropriate. 

Eventually, when the crowd of teens got big enough, the loudmouth turned around and started yelling in their direction - he finally realized maybe he had an audience that wasn't going to walk away any time soon. He kind of started raving at them. Once the group of teens realized that THEY had an audience in this crazy ranting freak, THEY started acting up. At first they kind of took the ranting for what it was - stupid crap. They were kind of laughing it off, though they obviously didn't agree with this guy's racist or homophobic slurs and other insults. They were basically acting like normal people do when confronted by a raving lunatic on the street: not taking it seriously. However, things suddenly took a turn when, in an almost organic or telepathic kind of way, the entire group of teens turned into an aggressive mob. It was a strange transition. They went from normal people to aggressive fucking douchebags in a matter of seconds. Yes, it was indeed TOXIC MASCULINITY. They suddenly started this kind of chest thumping chant, which I guess they all got from cheering on their sports teams at school. Then some ridiculous kid broke from the crowd and started tearing all his clothes off as his classmates cheered and got really riled up. They continued to chant in this super off-putting aggressive way, some literally pounding their chests (the crazy man referenced cavemen, and that was a rather apt comment). This behaviour really gave the loudmouth some material to work with - his insults became somewhat more intense. The teens really opened themselves up to criticism when they started acting like that, but still, the crazy man was just spewing mostly manic garbage.

So there is this big crowd of teens getting all aggressive and very loud and into the mob mentality, while this crazy man and his four friends just stood there, loudmouth continuing to yell bad things, such as how all of them were fixing to be school shooters because they are white and male and had on MAGA hats. The crowd started moving towards the few men, and it definitely started getting physically intimidating - it was probably 100 on 5 after all. At one point an adult who was with the kids tried to tell them to move back, but didn't try very hard at all to diffuse the mounting tension (I will say that the adults with these kids FAILED as chaperones in a BIG way). This is about when the man with the drum came along. He obviously spotted that this situation had suddenly escalated into a big aggressive mob moving towards 5 crazy men, so he stepped between the two parties playing his drum. I personally think his peaceful intentions were very clear. The teenaged mob then quickly and completely surrounded the drummer (seeming to forget about the crazy guy altogether), and they were hyped up, and started, from what I could tell, mocking the Native guy by gleefully chanting like Natives to the beat of the drum, and laughing and stuff. If I had been that guy with the drum, I definitely would have been worried. So this is when we come to the kid with the most smug mug on the face of the planet, lol. Just standing there grinning like that, in that scene, 100% YES that kid was being a little piece of arrogant shit in the face of this peacemaker. Absolutely. What I can't understand is WHY in the world the kids reacted to the drummer like that. I think they were all just swept up in a spontaneous and pointless display of aggression that, frankly, they mostly created themselves.
    I was going to dive into this but see no need to now.

Thank you for the report.
    Ill have to watch again. Cause I didn’t get “angry mob” from it. Not that what some kids did was right, not excusing that. But I didn’t get any anger from most people other than the idiots that started the entire mess and were happy about it.
    I don't believe I ever said "angry mob". I'm pretty sure I don't say the word "angry" in that entire summary actually. Not sure where you got that quote from. FYI, "aggressive mob" and "angry mob" are two very different things.
    True. I misstated the word you used. Was unintentional. I also did not see an aggressive mob.
    hippiemom = goodness
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I watched the WHOLE video - all 1 hour 46 minutes of it (the kids don't factor in for the first hour or more). There was no Jewish group there at all as far as I can tell. They were nut job racist Christians who think there are race wars in America's near future. They do keep calling themselves the "children of Israel", but they are praising Jesus.
    God bless you.

This crazy "Christian" loudmouth was with I think 4 other people, but he was the mouthpiece for this little ragtag gang of religious misfits, lol. The others mostly stayed quiet. He was just standing in the middle of the square shouting hateful religious and political nonsense to anyone who happened to be walking by or standing in the general vicinity. He was basically the political equivalent of one of those people dressed in rags on a street corner holding up a sign about how the world is ending and to repent, babbling about end of days. A few people tried to engage/debate him, but he was just spewing such hateful, vile garbage that very few had the patience to engage for any amount of time (he was sexist, homophobic, racist, you name it, and at the same time hating on Trump and the Catholic Church, and both major political parties and everyone who support either one - he literally hates EVERYONE, lol). He was particularly disgusting when this women tried to engage. He and his buddies was SO fucking sexist towards her. Meanwhile, this group of teenagers were slowly gathering way in the background. As that group grew, more of them seemed to start taking note of what this crackpot was yelling about, although they just seemed amused, like "look at the clown over there" kind of attitude, which seemed appropriate. 

Eventually, when the crowd of teens got big enough, the loudmouth turned around and started yelling in their direction - he finally realized maybe he had an audience that wasn't going to walk away any time soon. He kind of started raving at them. Once the group of teens realized that THEY had an audience in this crazy ranting freak, THEY started acting up. At first they kind of took the ranting for what it was - stupid crap. They were kind of laughing it off, though they obviously didn't agree with this guy's racist or homophobic slurs and other insults. They were basically acting like normal people do when confronted by a raving lunatic on the street: not taking it seriously. However, things suddenly took a turn when, in an almost organic or telepathic kind of way, the entire group of teens turned into an aggressive mob. It was a strange transition. They went from normal people to aggressive fucking douchebags in a matter of seconds. Yes, it was indeed TOXIC MASCULINITY. They suddenly started this kind of chest thumping chant, which I guess they all got from cheering on their sports teams at school. Then some ridiculous kid broke from the crowd and started tearing all his clothes off as his classmates cheered and got really riled up. They continued to chant in this super off-putting aggressive way, some literally pounding their chests (the crazy man referenced cavemen, and that was a rather apt comment). This behaviour really gave the loudmouth some material to work with - his insults became somewhat more intense. The teens really opened themselves up to criticism when they started acting like that, but still, the crazy man was just spewing mostly manic garbage.

So there is this big crowd of teens getting all aggressive and very loud and into the mob mentality, while this crazy man and his four friends just stood there, loudmouth continuing to yell bad things, such as how all of them were fixing to be school shooters because they are white and male and had on MAGA hats. The crowd started moving towards the few men, and it definitely started getting physically intimidating - it was probably 100 on 5 after all. At one point an adult who was with the kids tried to tell them to move back, but didn't try very hard at all to diffuse the mounting tension (I will say that the adults with these kids FAILED as chaperones in a BIG way). This is about when the man with the drum came along. He obviously spotted that this situation had suddenly escalated into a big aggressive mob moving towards 5 crazy men, so he stepped between the two parties playing his drum. I personally think his peaceful intentions were very clear. The teenaged mob then quickly and completely surrounded the drummer (seeming to forget about the crazy guy altogether), and they were hyped up, and started, from what I could tell, mocking the Native guy by gleefully chanting like Natives to the beat of the drum, and laughing and stuff. If I had been that guy with the drum, I definitely would have been worried. So this is when we come to the kid with the most smug mug on the face of the planet, lol. Just standing there grinning like that, in that scene, 100% YES that kid was being a little piece of arrogant shit in the face of this peacemaker. Absolutely. What I can't understand is WHY in the world the kids reacted to the drummer like that. I think they were all just swept up in a spontaneous and pointless display of aggression that, frankly, they mostly created themselves.

Ill have to watch again. Cause I didn’t get “angry mob” from it. Not that what some kids did was right, not excusing that. But I didn’t get any anger from most people other than the idiots that started the entire mess and were happy about it.
    I don't believe I ever said "angry mob". I'm pretty sure I don't say the word "angry" in that entire summary actually. Not sure where you got that quote from. FYI, "aggressive mob" and "angry mob" are two very different things.
    By the way - per the dictionary...aggressive is way worse ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    God bless you.

Not in everyday vernacular (for example... they began an aggressive cancer treatment plan).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,870
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    God bless you.

True. I misstated the word you used. Was unintentional. I also did not see an aggressive mob.
    If you didn't, then I think you didn't see the video I saw at all. The entire group of guys was literally stomping and chanting and pounding their chests in unison, like some of those rugby teams do that Maori dance. And they physically moved in on 5 men as a mob, to the point where someone had to ask them to back off, which was the moment when the drummer decided to come along and try to ease the tension. And they were really riled up, some guy tore his clothes off as the crowd cheered and yelled ... It was all highly aggressive behaviour.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    God bless you.

Not in everyday vernacular (for example... they began an aggressive cancer treatment plan).
    Ummmm yeah it does. Angry is upset. Aggressive is about to or already taking action.

But I suck at the English language so what the fuck do I know!

hippiemom = goodness
    edited January 2019
    Well I would agree that aggressive is worse. Angry is an emotion felt by someone. Aggressive has farther reaching connotations. Aggression has more of a real impact on others. An aggressive person is definitely more scary to an onlooker than an angry person is. Aggression is more threatening. If those kids had just stood there looking angry, I don't think the drummer would have felt the need to try and tone down the situation... Btw, what the drummer did ultimately worked. He absolutely managed to end the situation between the crazy Christians the teens. He completely drew the teens' attention away from the loudmouth.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    God bless you.

If you didn't, then I think you didn't see the video I saw at all. The entire group of guys was literally stomping and chanting and pounding their chests in unison, like some of those rugby teams do that Maori dance. And they physically moved in on 5 men as a mob, to the point where someone had to ask them to back off, which was the moment when the drummer decided to come along and try to ease the tension. And they were really riled up, some guy tore his clothes off as the crowd cheered and yelled ... It was all highly aggressive behaviour.
    Yeah we saw the same video. If you think a fat high school kid taking his shirt off is aggressive....don’t know what to tell you.

in reality it doesn’t matter much. Those kids should have not engaged. They shouldn’t have surrounded the old guy...regardless of motivation. That kid should not have stood in his way, regardless of motive. But they are kids. They make mistakes. And this is not a “boys will be boys” moment because I believe their should be a discussion and the kids need to answer for their actions. Boys will be boys is not that young kids will stop making mistakes, it’s that grownups will hold them accountable. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited January 2019
    Well if you don't think that group of guys was acting aggressive, I don't know what to tell you, other than I think your standards when it comes to appropriate, civil behaviour must be quite low. Most people I think would feel extremely intimidated by that behaviour, and trust me, that was absolutely some toxic masculine behaviour. Chest pounding and tribalism and a screaming kid tearing his clothes off in front of a cheering, chanting crowd or boys in that situation is not anywhere near okay. If I had a kid who acted like that I would be MORTIFIED, and really concerned about where his head is at. It showed a weakness for mob mentality that I think anyone should be concerned about. But FWIW, I do think that that school is largely responsible for all this. I think it's obvious, from the fact they did a lot of this all in sync with one another, and that they were clearly pulling up chants and battle-like dances that they use to intimidate opposing sports teams (not to mention the fucking black face photo), that their school doesn't dissuade menacing behaviour during competition, and may very well encourage it.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    God bless you.

Yeah we saw the same video. If you think a fat high school kid taking his shirt off is aggressive....don’t know what to tell you.

in reality it doesn’t matter much. Those kids should have not engaged. They shouldn’t have surrounded the old guy...regardless of motivation. That kid should not have stood in his way, regardless of motive. But they are kids. They make mistakes. And this is not a “boys will be boys” moment because I believe their should be a discussion and the kids need to answer for their actions. Boys will be boys is not that young kids will stop making mistakes, it’s that grownups will hold them accountable. 
    Call it like it is... didn't he take his pants off too?

Let's be honest... these kids were out of control and flaunting their arrogance.

I fully agree that the chaperones have some questions to answer regarding the lack of supervision and direction; however, I think the families of these kids have some questions to answer to as well- in particular, what exactly are your family's values and what have you taught your children about respecting others?
  • Adults were antagonizing teens...

Adults...

Teens reacted.  No shocker there.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,942
    mcgruff10 said:
    1 kid says something really stupid...all kids = monsters. Seems right. 
    Where do you get off on “all” kids? No, just those smug catholic kids from Kentucky. You know the ones, right? From Covington Catholic or prep or whatever school they’re from. You know, the ones in the video, on the news, the one who had a lawyer write his “innocence “ statement. The only one saying “all” is you. And as such, you’re dismissing their behavior, making excuses. Down playing. Mocking the kids who don’t do this shit. Typical.
    No. And you’ve read what I said. I’ve not excused the behavior of the people that have done stuff. 

Ive watched hours of video and developed my opinion. I’m tired of overreacting online assholes. 
    But you compared 1 asshole who said something shitty Now “represents all kids,” when nobody but you said that?
    The tweet said “the Covington MONSTERS chanting...”

it was 1 kid that needs some discipline/help/education/whatever. I was referring to the tweet. 1 person saying it led to MONSTERS (plural) “chanting”.

so yeah, someone said it.
    Agreed.  Next thing you know that video will be all over social media and idiots will be yelling that the entire school was chanting it.  One kid does not represent the school.  Just like the teens and their maga hats don't represent what is going on in the US.    (great article right here:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/opinions/maga-video-and-our-reptile-brains-rushkoff/index.html)
    Can’t spell hatred without a red hat. MAGA hats certainly do represent what’s going on in the US right now. And if you wear one, you’re representing.

I've mentioned before that I have a Make America RAGE Again hat and I won't wear it because I'm afraid some idiot won't read it and start a fight w me and then I'm going to jail.

That's what our world has become...
    I think people have been getting into fights about racist symbols in our country for a long time. 

• mcgruff10 said:
    1 kid says something really stupid...all kids = monsters. Seems right. 
    Where do you get off on “all” kids? No, just those smug catholic kids from Kentucky. You know the ones, right? From Covington Catholic or prep or whatever school they’re from. You know, the ones in the video, on the news, the one who had a lawyer write his “innocence “ statement. The only one saying “all” is you. And as such, you’re dismissing their behavior, making excuses. Down playing. Mocking the kids who don’t do this shit. Typical.
    No. And you’ve read what I said. I’ve not excused the behavior of the people that have done stuff. 

Ive watched hours of video and developed my opinion. I’m tired of overreacting online assholes. 
    But you compared 1 asshole who said something shitty Now “represents all kids,” when nobody but you said that?
    The tweet said “the Covington MONSTERS chanting...”

it was 1 kid that needs some discipline/help/education/whatever. I was referring to the tweet. 1 person saying it led to MONSTERS (plural) “chanting”.

so yeah, someone said it.
    Agreed.  Next thing you know that video will be all over social media and idiots will be yelling that the entire school was chanting it.  One kid does not represent the school.  Just like the teens and their maga hats don't represent what is going on in the US.    (great article right here:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/opinions/maga-video-and-our-reptile-brains-rushkoff/index.html)
    Can’t spell hatred without a red hat. MAGA hats certainly do represent what’s going on in the US right now. And if you wear one, you’re representing.

I've mentioned before that I have a Make America RAGE Again hat and I won't wear it because I'm afraid some idiot won't read it and start a fight w me and then I'm going to jail.

That's what our world has become...
    I think people have been getting into fights about racist symbols in our country for a long time. 

Unfortunately my hat isn't racist...
    edited January 2019
    Well yeah.... One total crackpot adult, who the teens already very well knew was a loonie toon spouting nonsense. Remember, they spent a lot of time observing this guy and engaging with him as well. For a long stretch of time they actually reacted appropriately to him, and I think demonstrated that they understood that this one guy had a screw loose, and that they weren't taking anything he was saying seriously.... Btw, I wonder if their Catholic school will notice that, when the crazy Christian was holding up the Bible and referencing it, one of those teens said, "That book isn't real!" There was actually a short debate between the man and the kid who claimed he was referencing a myth. :lol:
    Anyway, it was really the idiot kid who decided to rage out in front of everyone and scream and tear his clothes off that got the teens riled up IMO. That's when the mob-think took over. It barely really seemed to have anything to do with the crazy guy they'd been observing for 45 minutes.
    Call it like it is... didn't he take his pants off too? 

Let's be honest... these kids were out of control and flaunting their arrogance.

I fully agree that the chaperones have some questions to answer regarding the lack of supervision and direction; however, I think the families of these kids have some questions to answer to as well- in particular, what exactly are your family's values and what have you taught your children about respecting others?
    Yup I agree with your last paragraph.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Call it like it is... didn't he take his pants off too? 

Yup I agree with your last paragraph.  
    Lol

Well... as usual... it took us a while to get there, but we did it!
    PJ_Soul said:
    Well if you don't think that group of guys was acting aggressive, I don't know what to tell you, other than I think your standards when it comes to appropriate, civil behaviour must be quite low. Most people I think would feel extremely intimidated by that behaviour, and trust me, that was absolutely some toxic masculine behaviour. Chest pounding and tribalism and a screaming kid tearing his clothes off in front of a cheering, chanting crowd or boys in that situation is not anywhere near okay. If I had a kid who acted like that I would be MORTIFIED, and really concerned about where his head is at. It showed a weakness for mob mentality that I think anyone should be concerned about. But FWIW, I do think that that school is largely responsible for all this. I think it's obvious, from the fact they did a lot of this all in sync with one another, and that they were clearly pulling up chants and battle-like dances that they use to intimidate opposing sports teams (not to mention the fucking black face photo), that their school doesn't dissuade menacing behaviour during competition, and may very well encourage it.
    You know where his head was?  I'll take a guess.  He's an insecure teen.  Overweight and wants to be liked.  So he acts out like a clown from time to time.  He hopes everyone enjoys his messing around and accepts him into their group for it.  Just a guess though.

I think a lot of this stemmed from the aggressive verbal taunts from the black hebrew israelites.  Ignored for a long time and then once the kids felt safe (and yes their numbers made them feel safe) they started acting like idiot kids.   They used the chants they have cause they were hearing chants.  They were being dumb and not diffusing the situation.   I have no idea why that kid decided to stand face to face with the older NA.  I believe he wanted to seem tough.  He wasn't aggressive but he certainly wasn't acting in a sensible manner.  Tough guy kid with an old man....sad.  Lots of blame to go around, and to be honest mush of it falls to the adults.  The Black Hebrew israelites, the chaperones, the parents some, even the old man who decided drumming and chanting stuff in the middle of a group of kids was a good idea.  And yes, the kids for making some seriously poor choices and letting group think take over some and allowing their numbers to make them feel safe being stupid.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited January 2019
    They were not Hebrews or Israelites. I would think that Hebrews and Israelites would appreciate it if people stopped labeling them as such. I think it's weird how that phrase is being thrown around. It must have some kind of meaning to some people.

Yeah, I have no idea why any of the kids reacted to the drummer they way they did. But I know that it demonstrated a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect, and I guess their age is as good an age as any to discover that there are consequences when you display a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect. Although many of them are acting like they've learned nothing at all, with no help from their parents, so that's a shame, and will only hurt them further in the long run. I feel absolutely zero sympathy for any of them btw.

I think it's pretty fucked up to suggest that the drummer did anything wrong.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    They were not Hebrews or Israelites. I would think that Hebrews and Israelites would appreciate it if people stopped labeling them as such. I think it's weird how that phrase is being thrown around. It must have some kind of meaning to some people.

Yeah, I have no idea why any of the kids reacted to the drummer they way they did. But I know that it demonstrated a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect, and I guess their age is as good an age as any to discover that there are consequences when you display a shocking lack of self-awareness and respect. Although many of them are acting like they've learned nothing at all, with no help from their parents, so that's a shame, and will only hurt them further in the long run. I feel absolutely zero sympathy for any of them btw.

They were part of the Black Hebrew Israelites. A made-up religion (like the rest) that was founded in the late 1800's. They think blacks were the actual direct descendents of god's chosen people, not the Jews who currently make the claim. The Southern Poverty Law Center said they have extremists who preach black supremacy, and have labeled them as a hate group.
    https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/intelligence-report/2008/racist-black-hebrew-israelites-becoming-more-militant
    "White boy, you're next," he warns. "All you white people get ready for war. We're coming for you, white boys. Negroes are the real Jews. Get ready for war!"

And I also think the drummer exercised exceptionally poor discretion and wisdom given that he is a native elder. He did directly confront the kid and banged a drum in his face. Unnecessary, especially since the Hebrew Israelites were the real instigators. Perhaps he should have been banging that drum at them. Or at least planting himself squarely in the middle, rather than right in a kid's face. 
    Post edited by jeffbr on
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    PJ_Soul said:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/this-hebrew-israelite-from-brooklyn-sparked-the-covington-controversy/

Do a search....it's what all the papers AND the group themselves have used.  So I am really not sure why you won't.  It's a specific group...I'm using the name they call themselves, not making up something else just so you are happy.

The drummer had no ill intentions, but really shoulda thought that through.  Banging a drum and chanting through a crowd of teens that have been antagonized by a group of idiots for a while?  Honorable intention, really stupid action.  If he had walked over and talked...that's a different story.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Has anyone seen the "black face" angle yet?

That is some pretty piss poor reporting on the NYDN so far...
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/this-hebrew-israelite-from-brooklyn-sparked-the-covington-controversy/

Do a search....it's what all the papers AND the group themselves have used.  So I am really not sure why you won't.  It's a specific group...I'm using the name they call themselves, not making up something else just so you are happy.

The drummer had no ill intentions, but really shoulda thought that through.  Banging a drum and chanting through a crowd of teens that have been antagonized by a group of idiots for a while?  Honorable intention, really stupid action.  If he had walked over and talked...that's a different story.

Why won't I use the phrase that the batshit crazy dude is throwing around because he and his hate group friends think it sounds good? There are real Hebrews and Israelites in this world, and that fucked up dude is neither. I know papers are throwing the phrase around - I'm saying I think they shouldn't because it's insulting. These guys don't even know wtf they're talking about - they say they decend from the 12 tribes and praise Jesus; their beliefs boil down to just pure hate speech dressed up in a religious hodge-podge that makes no sense. To steal the labels from actual Jewish people is just offensive and it shouldn't be accepted.

I think the dummer did the right thing, because actually it could have ended up a lot uglier if he hadn't intervened. It wasn't a stupid action at all. It was an effective one.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    edited January 2019
    Why anyone would be offended by this ad I'm not sure.
    I also don't know why anyone would view this as anything other than a promo campaign to jump on the latest band-wagon. For that reason this did not move me at all. Will probably not think of this ad again until their razors go on rebate at Costco and I pick up a pack.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Why won't I use the phrase that the batshit crazy dude is throwing around because he and his hate group friends think it sounds good? There are real Hebrews and Israelites in this world, and that fucked up dude is neither. I know papers are throwing the phrase around - I'm saying I think they shouldn't because it's insulting. These guys don't even know wtf they're talking about - they say they decend from the 12 tribes and praise Jesus; their beliefs boil down to just pure hate speech dressed up in a religious hodge-podge that makes no sense. To steal the labels from actual Jewish people is just offensive and it shouldn't be accepted.

I think the dummer did the right thing, because actually it could have ended up a lot uglier if he hadn't intervened. It wasn't a stupid action at all. It was an effective one.
    There was another kid that started to pipe up and the ring leader motioned for him to stop.  He seemed to understand the gravity of the situation.

So another question:

I have scoured the internet for the catholic school kids doing the "tomahawk chop".  There are stories that reference this but I have not seen one video of them doing it.

Anybody find some video of that?
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

There was another kid that started to pipe up and the ring leader motioned for him to stop.  He seemed to understand the gravity of the situation.

So another question:

I have scoured the internet for the catholic school kids doing the "tomahawk chop".  There are stories that reference this but I have not seen one video of them doing it.

I've not seen a video of them doing that nor them chanting build the wall, etc.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

There were a lot of false claims being thrown around...I do not have an ounce of respect for the little drummer boy after reading about his less-than-stellar military career.  This event was the equivalent of a bunch of little shits swirling around a flushing toilet.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

There were a lot of false claims being thrown around...I do not have an ounce of respect for the little drummer boy after reading about his less-than-stellar military career.  This event was the equivalent of a bunch of little shits swirling around a flushing toilet.
    That's a scummy thing to say.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

Well, like, that’s just your opinion and stuff.  He is hardly the hardcore “Vietnam Vet” that was played up.  Sounds like he was more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
    edited January 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

Well, like, that’s just your opinion and stuff.  He is hardly the hardcore “Vietnam Vet” that was played up.  Sounds like he was more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Ridiculous. I see the right wing media has gotten to you on this one, lol.
    That man did absolutely nothing wrong (this would be true if he wasn't a vet as well) and doesn't deserve this kind of crap. This is pure spin to try and deflect from the those stupid kids who acted poorly.
  • PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

So another question:

Ridiculous. I see the right wing media has gotten to you on this one, lol.
    That man did absolutely nothing wrong (this would be true if he wasn't a vet as well) and doesn't deserve this kind of crap. This is pure spin to try and deflect from the those stupid kids who acted poorly.
    Stupid eh?

A Republican PR firm hired by the boy's mother manages to create an alternative reality... and people buy it.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Nathan Phillips (activist)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Phillips_(activist)

Criminal record
    According to local news reports from Lincoln obtained by the Washington Examiner, Phillips was charged with numerous crimes in the 1970s including a charge for escaping from prison in 1974; a charge of assault in 1974; multiple charges for underage possession of alcohol in 1972, 1973, and 1975; and negligent driving and driving without a license in 1978.[1][8]

Military service
    Phillips is a Vietnam era veteran who served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserves[9] from 20 May 1972 to 5 May 1976[10], though he never deployed to Vietnam.[11] From October 1972 to February 1973, he was an anti-tank missileman (infantry). He then served as a refrigerator technician for the remainder of his service. According to a FOIA response, Phillips was on active duty from 12 August 1974 to 5 May 1976 and was released as a private following disciplinary issues, including three AWOL incidents.[12][13][14][15]

In an interview with Vogue, Phillips said that "I'm what they call a recon ranger. That was my role".[13] This statement was questioned by Donald Shipley, who publicly outs false claims of military service. However, according to Daniel Paul Nelson, a Lakota People's Law Project leader, the quote was taken out of context, as Phillips was referring to work he was doing on the reservation.[13]

He does have a checkered past.  Nothing recently.  So, it appears he got his life in order years ago.

Give Peas A Chance…