New Gillette add "Toxic Masculinity" is causing quite a stir!

I don't get the outrage from this?  It is trying to make us better people.

Or am I was off and this is just adding to the wussification of men?

https://youtu.be/koPmuEyP3a0

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Inspiring would be the word I'd use. There are so many great men out there...and there can be more. :)

Falling down,...not staying down
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    The Gilette thing is ridiculous.  You've interpreted it correctly in mind.  See I think the snowflakes on the right are failing their reading classes. "Toxic" is modifying a particular form of masculinity.  That's the adjective.  It's not saying that masculinity is toxic.  Who can argue with the specific messages that are here.  Now if someone says all masculinity is toxic by definition, well that's a whole different subject but not the one here.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    love it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Its a great ad.  

I see so many disparaging remarks about big corporations...we often ignore how they lead.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    Its a great ad.  

I see so many disparaging remarks about big corporations...we often ignore how they lead.  
    My experience, after having worked for a long time at a huge bank, is that corporations are made up of a bunch of regular ole people.  They have the same problems, fears, successes, etc. as everyone else.  I don't see them as faceless entities.  And good corporations, that value their employees, are a reflection of the attitudes of their people.  Yes, they are trying to maximize profits.  Yes they seek out greater efficiencies which can create value and destroy jobs, but it's real life Americans doing this.  
    it's obviously a marketing ploy to maximize profits (as mrussel said) and jump on topics of the day, but for me that doesn't take away from the message. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    You have to be a pretty weak and insecure man to take issue with this ad.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mrussel1 said:
    “Is owning the liberals that important?” asks the last line. 

Apparently it is. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited January 2019
    The question is, “Is the media trying to manufacture outrage over this add?” as they often do.  No one gives it an ounce of attention  until a headline pops up saying “OMG, everyone is outraged”.  Any I agree, anyone “outraged” over something like this is misplacing their priorities.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    The question is, “Is the media trying to manufacture outrage over this add?” as they often do.  No one gives it an ounce of attention  until a headline pops up saying “OMG, everyone is outraged”.  Any I agree, anyone “outraged” over something like this is misplacing their priorities.
    Yes you're right.  Ben Shapiro wrote an article about it.  There was one in the American Conservative as well, Daily Caller, probably more but I can't bear to go to Breitbart or the other full out propaganda sites... the right wing outrage machine is out in full force on it.  They are heartily offended.  
    mrussel1 said:
    Its a great ad.  

My experience, after having worked for a long time at a huge bank, is that corporations are made up of a bunch of regular ole people.  They have the same problems, fears, successes, etc. as everyone else.  I don't see them as faceless entities.  And good corporations, that value their employees, are a reflection of the attitudes of their people.  Yes, they are trying to maximize profits.  Yes they seek out greater efficiencies which can create value and destroy jobs, but it's real life Americans doing this.  
    They also create jobs, seek out better ways and improve life, etc.  Sure they don't always get it right but they also help lead many important changes. Ok, I may or may not work for a large American manufacturing company of consumer goods.

P&G marketing has been on point lately.  Great mom ads for olympics (those as a Dad I wonder why I wasn't mentioned...of course the majority of P&G customers are women...they do most of the buying).  Great "Like a Girl" ads.  Those, since I have a super smart, strong, amazing daughter kinda make me emotional watching.  And now this.  This is a terrific ad...not on the same level as "Like a Girl" though.  But maybe the next spot will be.

I don't understand why people are upset over the ad.  It's just that they are a little tired of the stupid dad steroetype in sitcoms and stupid male stereotype overall that perhaps they don;t really listen and just look to be outraged like so many others.  I'd ask anyone offended to watch it again and see what you think about it, trying to remove preconceived bias.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Here is an article from Breitbart.  It's the comments that the outrage is at so not from the article itself.

I do have a friend that is outraged by it.  I don't understand why?

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/14/pg-urges-men-to-lose-their-toxic-masculinity-in-gilette-razor-ad/
    Here is an article from Breitbart.  It's the comments that the outrage is at so not from the article itself.

https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2019/01/14/pg-urges-men-to-lose-their-toxic-masculinity-in-gilette-razor-ad/
    so bizarre to be outraged by encouraging people to stop being dicks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    You have to be a pretty weak and insecure man to take issue with this ad.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    A man who is offended by that isn't much of a man.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Here is an article from Breitbart.  It's the comments that the outrage is at so not from the article itself.

so bizarre to be outraged by encouraging people to stop being dicks. 
    I'm an asshole and I know this but I don't do the stupid shit in that video, lol!
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    I don't get the outrage but damn the Breitbart shit makes me feel gross.  I only read it when there is a link on the boards to find out what the reference is and it is so disgusting.

P.S.  My husband doesn't get the outrage either.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard said:
    I don't get the outrage but damn the Breitbart shit makes me feel gross.  I only read it when there is a link on the boards to find out what the reference is and it is so disgusting.

I got about 3 posters down, and had to quit. I can't imagine going through life like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Lizard said:

The Breitbart article just reported the video and had zero outrage towards it, not sure where you read in the article I posted that Breitbart were mad?

The comments is where the outrage comes from.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    yes.. the comments...i should have clarified
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited January 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    Well, with 12 million views and counting on YouTube, there are 320k likes, 723k dislikes.That actually does say something. I would imagine that anyone who would actually bother to dislike this take at least some offense to it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mrussel1 said:
    Its a great ad.  

They also create jobs, seek out better ways and improve life, etc.  Sure they don't always get it right but they also help lead many important changes. Ok, I may or may not work for a large American manufacturing company of consumer goods.

P&G marketing has been on point lately.  Great mom ads for olympics (those as a Dad I wonder why I wasn't mentioned...of course the majority of P&G customers are women...they do most of the buying).  Great "Like a Girl" ads.  Those, since I have a super smart, strong, amazing daughter kinda make me emotional watching.  And now this.  This is a terrific ad...not on the same level as "Like a Girl" though.  But maybe the next spot will be.

I don't understand why people are upset over the ad.  It's just that they are a little tired of the stupid dad steroetype in sitcoms and stupid male stereotype overall that perhaps they don;t really listen and just look to be outraged like so many others.  I'd ask anyone offended to watch it again and see what you think about it, trying to remove preconceived bias.
    Right.. which one of those clips would you say "well what's wrong with that??"  If there is one, better find a mirror and a priest because you have some confessing to do.  
  • Lizard said:
    yes.. the comments...i should have clarified
    OK, good.  They are pretty bad.

Breitbart comments section is one of the most appalling places on the internet.  I admit that I go there and read the lunacy they write and the mental contortions they go through to defend the indefensible.  I also post there on occasion because they are so very easy to out-maneuver mentally.  I mean...they are idiots.  
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    it's laughable that people have to be told to be good humans ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    No it’s not. And that’s not what this is about anyhow. It’s about making sure you stand up for what you believe in...people are watch g your actions. Be a role model.

Everyone needs reminders on why things are important from time to time. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    Well, that's why the Bible was invented.  Literally..  
  • mrussel1 said:
    Well, that's why the Bible was invented.  Literally..  
    And a Gold Star!
    Image result for gold star

This was just for fun and not meant to be anything other than a chuckle!
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,426
    all those fucktards are free to send me their fusion blades. fuckers are expensive but great.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14