Tulsi Gabbard for President

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-container/Politics/hawaii-rep-tulsi-gabbard-running-president-2020/story?id=60323392

I admit that, until a few months ago, I had no idea who Gabbard was.  I saw her on MTP or something similar and she is impressive.
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

Comments

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I like her
    But I know that most of America has no idea how to deal with someone like her.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    She's young....probably too young for 2020 but she will make a big impression I believe.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    She's also going to have to overcome her past a little bit. I'm all for evolving (I've done the same), so I can look past of this. But these kinds of things will pop up if they exist in one's past. 

Gabbard worked for anti-LGBTQ group run by her father: report

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    jeffbr said:
    She's also going to have to overcome her past a little bit. I'm all for evolving (I've done the same), so I can look past of this. But these kinds of things will pop up if they exist in one's past. 

guess I'll wait and see the response from that community first.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • jeffbr said:

She regrets it and has done a bunch since then to promote LGBTQ movements.  I don't follow her that closely so someone that does can tell us more about that.
    mickeyrat said:
    jeffbr said:

Definitely. Me, too. Obama and Hillary were both a little late in getting to marriage equality and LGBTQ rights, so there is no reason to think this will tank Gabbard. Everything she's done recently (which is more important) shows she's an advocate. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Rolling Stone isn't exactly putting her in a good light:

Tulsi Gabbard’s 2020 Campaign May Be Over Before It Starts

The congresswoman from Hawaii’s past is filled with anti-LGBTQ activism, calls for bombing Syria and endorsing torture
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tulsi-gabbards-2020-president-778512/

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    jeffbr said:

Definitely. Me, too. Obama and Hillary were both a little late in getting to marriage equality and LGBTQ rights, so there is no reason to think this will tank Gabbard. Everything she's done recently (which is more important) shows she's an advocate. 
    I think most dems in the early 2000s switched from being anti- to pro-gay marriage because the winds changed.  There's some legitimate evolution that occurred...in the late 1990s, I don't think many people even thought of gay marriage as a potential thing.  That said, most of those people were not active in leading protests against it.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mickeyrat said:
    jeffbr said:

I think most dems in the early 2000s switched from being anti- to pro-gay marriage because the winds changed.  There's some legitimate evolution that occurred...in the late 1990s, I don't think many people even thought of gay marriage as a potential thing.  That said, most of those people were not active in leading protests against it.
    Yeah, I can see some people might be on the fence about gay marriage (although I never was, I'm cool with it) but when someone actively protesting it, that says something.  I'm sure it's possible for someone to evolve away from homophobia but do I want to support someone with a past track record of what I see as blatant homophobia?  No way.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

edited January 2019
    brianlux said:
    Rolling Stone isn't exactly putting her in a good light:

Tulsi Gabbard’s 2020 Campaign May Be Over Before It Starts

The congresswoman from Hawaii’s past is filled with anti-LGBTQ activism, calls for bombing Syria and endorsing torture
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/tulsi-gabbards-2020-president-778512/

She's  military.  Major in  National Guard for Hawaii. I expect many members of our armed forces held or hold the same views in regards to torture. Personally I think its beneath the ideals on the brochure. But I can understand how those on the front lines would have a different stance than I.

R.S. has lost most credibility behind UVa story.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Only 37 years old.  Too young in my opinion.  I want some grey hairs for that job, just like I would prefer on a doctor that was going to perform open surgery on me ... not that that really is a prerequisite for POTUS.  Is she a soulless megalomaniac?  That seemed to be the prerequisite for our last two major party choices.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    jeffbr said:

in conventional times this would hurt her. the funny thing is the GOP is unable to attack her for this because they are anti-lgbtq rights themselves. they would look like huge hypocrites going after her on that issue. i have a feeling that purist democrats will eat her alive on this issue.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    jeffbr said:

in conventional times this would hurt her. the funny thing is the GOP is unable to attack her for this because they are anti-lgbtq rights themselves. they would look like huge hypocrites going after her on that issue. i have a feeling that purist democrats will eat her alive on this issue.
    She has to make it through a primary. No way she does.
    hippiemom = goodness

• She voted "Present" on both Articles of Impeachment. WTF?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    She’s going to run third with the message that the Democrat process is unfair.  She’s probably a Trump/Russian asset.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    She should just go away for good 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    She should just go away for good 
    +1

She's not running for president.

she's auditioning to be a talking head on fox news

"....and now we turn to former Democratic Presidential candidate Tulsi G for her opinion on...."

Tulsi : "Both sides are bad!  Present!"
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    OnWis97 said:
    She’s going to run third with the message that the Democrat process is unfair.  She’s probably a Trump/Russian asset.
    Probably?
    dignin said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Probably?
    Yep I bet she’s on his payroll 

Yeah, I liked her for a minute earlier in the yar, especially her take down of Harris, but she definitely has her own agenda. I can't read her and don't trust her.
    Just this Friday 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

I appreciate her willingness to stand up to the military industrial complex, standing against regime change wars, and being a voice for peace. She consistently talks about country over party, healing the divide, and bringing people together. Thats the message I hear when I listen to her. I personally don’t think she’ll run third party, but I guess I’m just taking her at her word. 

I also respect her service to our country. I could have joined the service, but didn’t. I watch the wars from the comfort of my living room , while she put her life on the line. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Hi! said:

I appreciate her willingness to stand up to the military industrial complex, standing against regime change wars, and being a voice for peace. She consistently talks about country over party, healing the divide, and bringing people together. Thats the message I hear when I listen to her. I personally don’t think she’ll run third party, but I guess I’m just taking her at her word. 

I also respect her service to our country. I could have joined the service, but didn’t. I watch the wars from the comfort of my living room , while she put her life on the line. 

I also appreciate she was raised in a cult
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • I’m Canadian but pay attention to world politics. Gabbard seems like she is in the the wrong party to me.  Her rhetoric reminds me of Republican sentiment. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    She voted "Present" on both Articles of Impeachment. WTF?
    Yeah....I'm not so impressed anymore.  

Her statement was "I could not in good conscience vote against impeachment because I believe President Trump is guilty of wrongdoing."

He's guilty of wrongdoing....that would be a yes vote.  That it just so happens to be on partisan lines is irrelevant if he is guilty.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    tulsi sealed her fate last night. bye felicia.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tulsi sealed her fate last night. bye felicia.
    Or dasvidaniya. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Maybe it's too much Maui Woowie.  Tusli is barely "present".