What happens to our stuff?

Has anyone else ever contemplated the situation of their collection? Will you keep it all until you die? Will you sell it at a given time? Leave it all to loved ones or future generations? Give it all away in some massive charity ditch? (PM me for my address) How many have contemplated this event? Does it scare you or make you sad? 

Comments

• RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    I had an aunt say about 5 years ago "why do you collect that stuff, whoever inherits it will throw it all away". I never thought about it until then, but shes right.

Also, given the value of my 80s baseball card collection, holding on to it forever seems a bad plan too.

I've been slowly selling all the posters for the shows I have not attended. I've been to almost 100 shows and have ~200 posters. Its a start.

What I find shocking, is how the newer posters are worth a lot and there is a ton of them. Thats not good for long term value.

If I took the framed posters off the wall from all the shows I attended, I could put in a pool. I bought the AMES collection posters and if I ever do sell it all, I'm going to keep those 2, and put them up in the pool house the originals bought. :)
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,873
    Tough to say what I'd do with my collection.  I guess I'd probably sell most of it when I get older (in my 30s now).  Id hate for someone just to throw it away. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • i'm old and i have a new 10 year exit program that includes unloading my excess(lol) collectibles before i die or before i get close to dying. 
    the first round of unloading happened last year and i just went thru stuff that i just couldn't justify keeping any more. i hit the wall with merch and started to look at those things i had as being better sent to someone who could appreciate them more than me. perhaps someone younger, i dunno...that included a 1998 poster i had. i have too many posters. too many concert tshirts, too many collectible cds etc etc
    did it make me sad? do i miss the stuff today? nope! i was happy with the extra money and went snorkeling for moorish idols instead  ;)
    https://thesnorkelstore.com/hawaii-fish-guide/
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I've already started thinning out my collection a bit & I imagine that will pick up even more as I get older.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • RG292419RG292419 Chicago Posts: 79
    I'm almost 50, my parents recently moved out of their home to a much smaller apartment.  Now they're downsizing again.  After dealing with getting rid of their stuff, we've been trying to proactively purge our own stuff, and acquire less. 

I should probably get rid of some posters I'm not displaying, try harder to display them, or let someone else enjoy them.  I still like the memories they generate (all shows I attended).  In my mind I think, "oh maybe one of my kids will like a design and keep it to think of me".  But that's my nostalgia talking; they'll more than likely trash it.  I hope to not burden them with that decision.
    95 - Soldier Field, 11 - Alpine Valley PJ 20 N2, 13 - Wrigley Field, 16 - Wrigley 1 & 2, 18 - Wrigley 1 & 2
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    RG292419 said:
    I'm almost 50, my parents recently moved out of their home to a much smaller apartment.  Now they're downsizing again.  After dealing with getting rid of their stuff, we've been trying to proactively purge our own stuff, and acquire less. 

I should probably get rid of some posters I'm not displaying, try harder to display them, or let someone else enjoy them.  I still like the memories they generate (all shows I attended).  In my mind I think, "oh maybe one of my kids will like a design and keep it to think of me".  But that's my nostalgia talking; they'll more than likely trash it.  I hope to not burden them with that decision.
    I don't have kids so for me it would get trashed.

Being you have kids, don't think like that. I just lost my dad. If he had a stack of Led Zeppelin posters to leave me, they'd be my prized possession. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited January 2019
    Yes, I think it was Tempo who mentioned this other other day as well, so it's been back on my mind. I really don't have anyone in my life who gives a fuck about any of my PJ records, or my vinyl collection in general. So I figure I'm just going to sell it all at some point... I figure there will come a day when I think the money will serve me better than the collection. When that day arrives, I'll just throw it all up on ebay I guess? I would have to make it a package though. I really never want to deal with selling it off piece by piece, especially not when I'm old and decrepit enough to be selling it all, lol. Will there be anyone willing to buy it in 20 or 30 or 40 years???

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited January 2019
    I have either sold or given away most of my stuff. The stuff I have left over will go to my girls & they can decide what to do with it from there. Whatever the case I don’t plan it being so much stuff it would be a burden to them. I also have a solid estate will that has an even smaller number of items that I don’t want sold or given away when I pass. I’ve used the whole ‘does this spark joy’ for me question when deciding about keeping or getting rid of stuff. Probably go through it all once a year using that measure. 
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    Been giving some thought to liquidating the posters. They are everywhere.  Maybe the t-shirts as well. I dont have that much other stuff.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    This is kind of crazy. I was thinking about this the other day. I will be on the lookout for the 98 Chicago (first show) and 14 Milwaukee posters but wouldn't nearly shell out the going rate of a Chicago 98 poster. 

So it got me thinking...albeit a bit morbidly,  that maybe there should/could be some sort of something (trading post/will given items, etc...) set up where members give/sell their items to other members based on a prior agreement. Maybe they even to have to add it to their will or whatever.

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Clearly my numerous threads in Lost Dogs indicate what I am doing with selling off my collection.  My main reasons are:

1)  I am not as connected to PJ as I once was.  I am keeping the items that tie into travels and events.

2) I want to have less stuff around the apartment.   Only the essentials and golf stuff.  I could see myself constantly traveling and not having a true permanent home when I retire.  See the world.

3)  The collection is worth money now.  I could use that money to fund future trips.  

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Mine will be burned with me during cremation.  If I ever get a Vitalogy Health Club starter kit, the box will be my urn.
  • tusevuntusevun Posts: 217
    Mine will be burned with me during cremation.  If I ever get a Vitalogy Health Club starter kit, the box will be my urn.
    Send me your address and I will send it to you if you pay shipping. Not sure what all is in it tbh.
  • tusevun said:
    Send me your address and I will send it to you if you pay shipping. Not sure what all is in it tbh.
    Ooooooooohhhhh!!!! A VHC box and it has some goodies in it?!?!?!?!

Here I was a few days ago looking to get rid of everything before it goes in a landfill and just like that the mere mention of a VHC box lights me up...

Damn it...
  • tusevun said:
     :o  B)
    tusevun said:
    Well this is just awesome.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Ironic that something named Vitalogy would be used for an urn.

Thinking about the Vitalogy album packaging though makes a huge Pearl Jam fan again.  Fucking awesome album. 

• 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    A little over 5 years ago during one of those right place at the right time moments I stumbled upon a collection of PJ posters being sold. The back story was that 2 brothers had been collecting everything since ‘96 and when one passed away the other didn’t have the heart to continue and sold it all. I felt horrible about the situation but the seller wanted to move it all and I paid the asking price.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore

• So it got me thinking...albeit a bit morbidly,  that maybe there should/could be some sort of something (trading post/will given items, etc...) set up where members give/sell their items to other members based on a prior agreement. Maybe they even to have to add it to their will or whatever.

I've seen this Hitchcock movie.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

So it got me thinking...albeit a bit morbidly,  that maybe there should/could be some sort of something (trading post/will given items, etc...) set up where members give/sell their items to other members based on a prior agreement. Maybe they even to have to add it to their will or whatever.

:lol:
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

And it was better than any Freddy Kruger movie EVER!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    edited January 2019
    All I really care about is that the live shows that I have taped (mostly non-PJ) live on.  Everything else is just stuff, but those tapes are moments in history.
    I'm an estate planning attorney, so I deal with this topic every day.  Stuff seems so pointless, yet I still fall for posters and merch every tour, especially if it's Chicago-related.
    Post edited by given2fly23 on
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,259
    I had a dream a few weeks ago that was similar to this.

I was dying (not sure what of, but it kinda sucked!) and started a thread on here asking people to PM me with their home addresses. Then my entire vinyl collection was split between everyone who replied. It was like scattering my ashes, only I was scattering my vinyl across the world instead! It actually felt quite cathartic.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    I had a dream a few weeks ago that was similar to this.

I was dying (not sure what of, but it kinda sucked!) and started a thread on here asking people to PM me with their home addresses. Then my entire vinyl collection was split between everyone who replied. It was like scattering my ashes, only I was scattering my vinyl across the world instead! It actually felt quite cathartic.
    Oh weird... Turns out I have always thought of my vinyl collection as something that exists as a whole, like they are all interconnected. It never even occurred to me that it could be split up until you said that. :lol:
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    tusevun said:
    Ooooooooohhhhh!!!! A VHC box and it has some goodies in it?!?!?!?!

Here I was a few days ago looking to get rid of everything before it goes in a landfill and just like that the mere mention of a VHC box lights me up...

Damn it...
    Does anyone know the legal limit for how many pairs of socks you can be wearing when they bury you?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• JT167846JT167846 Posts: 782
    Just get box sets etc of bands you don't give a shit about haha. Then you won't care about when you sell them 30 years from now.

I'll probably give mine to relatives. Though I have a copy of Tool's Salival signed by all four and made out to me so I dunno who the hell I should give that to. I have namesake friends but that would be cheating wouldn't it?

If I had my Ten Super Deluxe set signed by all the band as well as all the past drummers and Ed made it out to me I'd be buried with that. After all all five had something to do with Ten either directly or indirectly. 
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited January 2019
    I used to have all kinds of collections: baseball and hockey cards, star wars, a massive book collection, and crates of CDs. Not a lot of PJ stuff, but I had a few dozen posters and other odds and ends. Over the past two years I unloaded the vast majority of it. The wife would have tossed or donated most of it if I kicked off. Plus, I wouldn't want to burden her with having to deal with getting rid of it.  So, I sold the majority and set up some additional investment funds. The idea of being able to retire sooner is more appealing to me now that I'm over 40 than owing some stuff.

I've kept some old first and early edition Tolkein and Orwell books, a collection of signed Apollo astronaut books, and a small collection of MN Twins baseball cards. All of it would fit in an apple box. I'm happy with it.

Not poo-hooing on collectors. I love seeing some of these collections. It's just not for me anymore. 
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    All I really care about is that the live shows that I have taped (mostly non-PJ) live on.  Everything else is just stuff, but those tapes are moments in history.
    I'm an estate planning attorney, so I deal with this topic every day.  Stuff seems so pointless, yet I still fall for posters and merch every tour, especially if it's Chicago-related.
    I think I was talking with you in line for Wrigley merch this year the first morning it went on sale. You have the 2013 Wrigley Munk One/Dabs Myla hanging in your office? 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    I kind of assume no one will want it after I'm gone.  If live to be a ripe old age most people who would want a collection of 90's rock stuff will probably be gone or close to it.   Who would buy it?
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    If you believe the music is timeless like the Beatles or Elvis there will be a market in the future. Future generations will connect to Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, Yield, etc. But then again, tastes change too, so you never know how many will be into rock in the future enough to spend big bucks on things.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23