Camden Night 1 2003

What's up everyone? Thanks for all of your participation in the Grand Rapids 06 thread, we were only able to use one story due to time but everyone's experience from that show was either referenced or alluded to. That episode will be out on Friday and I'll post a link for it on the original thread.

Next week's episode that we're fielding stories for right now is Night 1 from Camden in 2003. This was a show I stumbled upon when looking for a full show to stream from YouTube while on a long car ride and I was blown away from the get go. Besides an electric performance that was riding the wave of the energy from parts 1 and 2 of the Mansfield Triple Threat and would keep that wave going 3 days later for the Live At The Garden DVD, one of the big highlight's from this night was a stellar rendition of Rockin' In The Free World played in a rare spot smack dab in the middle of the set.

You guys know the drill by now, if you attended this show and have any good stories or memories from it, would love to hear from you. Feel free to shoot us an email at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com or keep the thread going here. Thanks again for all your participation!
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited January 2019
    RITFW was cool.  Played because the fireworks were going off

it was a good show but i dont remember a lot about it.  I had an awesome number back then so my seats were fourth row Stone’s side.  I do remember this random rap guy that i hadnt seen since high school rode with us.  He didnt have a ticket and he had already decided to wander around Camden with a case of beer while the show happened.  We found him really far away from the venue two hours after the show ended.  The beer was gone. 
  • What was the date of that show? I’m pretty sure I was there.  
  • 7/5/03

and Camden isn’t really the smartest place to be roaming around at night.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• Anyone have the set list
  • http://www.livefootsteps.org/setlist/?show_id=633

Please use LiveFootsteps any time you want to look up a set. Dave and his bro put so much hard work and effort into this masterpiece of a site. It’ll sell itself, go get sucked down the rabbit hole, you’ll thank me later.

7/5/03

Grew up not far from there but with a case of beer you can make friends anywhere. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,758
    First of 5 shows in 9 days during the tail end of this run.  Had gone to Montreal the weekend prior.  Overall caught 9 shows this tour.  

One of the better, tighter main sets I saw on the tour.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• I was at night 2 
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    I remember enjoying watching the fireworks reflect off of the hi-rises across the river right before the band referenced them and played RITFW.  
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 914
    Wishlist from that show was fab 
     7 or 8 mins long 
     Eddie fucking around with the ebow

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    This was actually my first ever pearl jam show. I had a lawn seat which I hate but I was happy to just be in the "building". I would sign up for the ten club after that show for better seats. I recall the fireworks starting at penn's landing and Eddie questioning what was happening, someone told him about the fire works so he changed up the set list, ran around to each bandmate and switched it to RITFW. "You've got to hide your love away" really stands out for me as well. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    The camden shows were always great but never legendary.  I remember rocking in the free world during the set and thought how odd it was to play at that moment, it just didn't flow.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    edited January 2019
    Got lost in Camden once. First time I ever saw a 'working' prostitute. Wasn't at the show, but do like the bootleg!
    www.cluthelee.com
    Spectrum 03 was the ultimate philly show IMO
  • Spectrum 03 was the ultimate philly show IMO
    I beg to differ. I would sat 04/29/16 when they started with Ten and played it through in its entirety. I also think the ‘09 shows when they closed The Spectrum😥😥😥 rank up there for Philly shows.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    95 degrees + 10 minute downpour = fucking hot and humid
  • 7/5/03

It’s not that bad.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    This is true. Followed by the '05 show tacked on after the Borgata ticket demand mess.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    edited January 2019
    I get the Camden shows mixed up, but I think there was a massive rain storm before the show and my buddies and I sat in the car trying to tailgate.
    Really good opening five songs and the RITFW in the middle of the set with fireworks going off in downtown Philly.  I think that was one of the first performances of Down. Lots of Riot Act. I remember Blood being very good, but an odd choice after Black.

And Philly 03 was memorable for the energy and the crowd, but definitely not for the set list IMHO.

Night 3 in 2009 was the ultimate Philly show IMHO.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    This would be correct.  Followed by the ‘05 show and spectrum 3/4
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Got lost in Camden once. First time I ever saw a 'working' prostitute. Wasn't at the show, but do like the bootleg!
    Did you miss the show because of the 'working' prostitute?
  • JM144705JM144705 Philadelphia Posts: 429
    Did you miss the show because of the 'working' prostitute?
     :o  =)=)=)
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Love this show - as being from Philly, and having the hate for the E-Center (or whatever we want to call it now), the best part about the venue was a good ol' solid PJ tailgate in their parking lot on the weekend of the 4th of Joooo-lie.

This show was right in the middle of Part Two of our two mini-tours in 2003 for myself and some buddies - we went to DC,  down the shore for the 4th, then home to Philly for the Camden shows; I slept in my car, then up to MSG, then back down the shore, and then up to Holmdel for Hunger Strike and some Jersey neanderthal tha was so drunk during Corduroy that he was pissing on the lawn which was inevitably ricocheting off my leg. 

This was my favorite show of that stretch due to its hometown ties, 4th of July weekend. It was fucking HOT out, drank in the sun far too much, and made a connection for the day with a Pearl Jam Girl from Trenton who ended up having 10C seats right behind me. The humidity led to a late afternoon shower that was perfectly timed to drench us all. The sun going down behind the Philly skyline was perfect. Then the show started and it was non-stop energy, though you can tell they were taking a hit from the heat (pretty sure Eddie talks about how hot it was?).

Being 20 in the summer of '03 was fun.
    Get_Right said:
    I get the Camden shows mixed up, but I think there was a massive rain storm before the show and my buddies and I sat in the car trying to tailgate.
    Really good opening five songs and the RITFW in the middle of the set with fireworks going off in downtown Philly.  I think that was one of the first performances of Down. Lots of Riot Act. I remember Blood being very good, but an odd choice after Black.
    All of this is correct.
    Get_Right said:

And Philly 03 was memorable for the energy and the crowd, but definitely not for the set list IMHO.

Night 3 in 2009 was the ultimate Philly show IMHO

Formatting is off so im replying inside the quote.....Spectrum 03 had a lot of hits but when those songs are performed excellently and the crowd is nuts what more would you want?  They were hits for a reason.  Ive never experienced an American PJ crowd louder than that.  

Night 3 in 2009 had a way better fan setlist and it was a fun show but the performance cant touch Spectrum 2003.  
    Get_Right said:

Night 3 in 2009 was the ultimate Philly show IMHO

Formatting is off so im replying inside the quote.....Spectrum 03 had a lot of hits but when those songs are performed excellently and the crowd is nuts what more would you want?  They were hits for a reason.  Ive never experienced an American PJ crowd louder than that.  

Night 3 in 2009 had a way better fan setlist and it was a fun show but the performance cant touch Spectrum 2003.  
    All good.  The crowd was crazy.  I just remember that I was not excited about the songs until they busted out Glorified G.  Still a great show.
    I walked out of 10/30/2009 blown away. Different strokes.
    Hey man. Both stand out after all these years. 

The show this thread is about i cant remember a thing about :lol:
  • This is actually the least favorite PJ show I've attended...through no fault of the band or the crowd. I was sick but dragged myself to the show anyway...and had a miserable time. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    I remember the opener from Camden, still love cant keep as an opener.  I remember losing my shit during blood. The whole fireworks thing was really memorable.  Good show. Crappy poster LOL. I think I pre-ordered a bunch of posters from Ames sight unseen on this tour.  I cant recall. 
    This is actually the least favorite PJ show I've attended...through no fault of the band or the crowd. I was sick but dragged myself to the show anyway...and had a miserable time. 
    Being sick in the middle of a super hot summer is the absolute worst. Yeah, that sounds like a terrible decision, though I understand the need to get there.