Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    23scidoo said:
    With president like him??..ofcourse it is..

That video is so great.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    23scidoo said:
    With president like him??..ofcourse it is..

That video is so great.
    I'll agree that he probably knows lawsuits better than anybody. He got one right!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Man who lost leg in Afghanistan helps Colin Powell with flat
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/man-who-lost-leg-in-afghanistan-helps-colin-powell-with-flat-1.4268711?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvnews:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c4b24e93ed3f000016dfe68&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Aw5RU1nx7FR68Q4PSYVgrAL_zqEboVbHbStJ2KtmzeiEDIB1uuOE-3JI

Yesterday was a reassuring day for me. I was on my way to Walter Reed Military Hospital for an exam. As I drove along Interstate 495 my left front tire blew out. I am a car guy and knew I could change it but it was cold outside and the lug bolts were very tight. I jacked the car up and got several of the bolts removed when a car suddenly pulled up in front of me. As the man got out of his car I could see that he had an artificial leg. He said he recognized me and wanted to help me. We chatted and I learned that he lost his leg in Afghanistan when he worked over there as a civilian employee. He grabbed the lug wrench and finished the job as I put the tools away. Then we both hurriedly headed off to appointments at Walter Reed. I hadn't gotten his name or address but he did ask for a “selfie”. And then he sent me the message below last night. 

"Gen. Powell, I hope I never forget today because I’ll never forget reading your books. You were always an inspiration, a leader and statesman. After 33 years in the military you were the giant whose shoulders we stood upon to carry the torch to light the way and now it is tomorrow’s generation that must do the same. Anthony Maggert"

Thanks, Anthony. You touched my soul and reminded me about what this country is all about and why it is so great. Let's stop screaming at each other. Let's just take care of each other. You made my day.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/man-who-lost-leg-in-afghanistan-helps-colin-powell-with-flat-1.4268711?cid=sm:trueanthem:ctvnews:post&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5c4b24e93ed3f000016dfe68&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Aw5RU1nx7FR68Q4PSYVgrAL_zqEboVbHbStJ2KtmzeiEDIB1uuOE-3JI

Yesterday was a reassuring day for me. I was on my way to Walter Reed Military Hospital for an exam. As I drove along Interstate 495 my left front tire blew out. I am a car guy and knew I could change it but it was cold outside and the lug bolts were very tight. I jacked the car up and got several of the bolts removed when a car suddenly pulled up in front of me. As the man got out of his car I could see that he had an artificial leg. He said he recognized me and wanted to help me. We chatted and I learned that he lost his leg in Afghanistan when he worked over there as a civilian employee. He grabbed the lug wrench and finished the job as I put the tools away. Then we both hurriedly headed off to appointments at Walter Reed. I hadn't gotten his name or address but he did ask for a “selfie”. And then he sent me the message below last night. 

"Gen. Powell, I hope I never forget today because I’ll never forget reading your books. You were always an inspiration, a leader and statesman. After 33 years in the military you were the giant whose shoulders we stood upon to carry the torch to light the way and now it is tomorrow’s generation that must do the same. Anthony Maggert"

Thanks, Anthony. You touched my soul and reminded me about what this country is all about and why it is so great. Let's stop screaming at each other. Let's just take care of each other. You made my day.

This story, on the surface, sounds warm and fuzzy, but let's not forget that Colin Powell was the "political general" who support the Bush administrations decision to invade Iraq and continued to support U.S. involvement in the war in Iraq, a war that never had any real justification. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

This story, on the surface, sounds warm and fuzzy, but let's not forget that Colin Powell was the "political general" who support the Bush administrations decision to invade Iraq and continued to support U.S. involvement in the war in Iraq, a war that never had any real justification. 
    Every US President and their admin has blood on their hands.  Including your messiah...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

Every US President and their admin has blood on their hands.  Including your messiah...
    Jimi Hendrix has blood on his hands?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

He was shredding it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

rgambs said:

He was shredding it. 
    No no no no no no, this is our culprit!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• American theme week at supermarket chain LIDL. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianlux said:

No no no no no no, this is our culprit!

And if you think blood on his hands is bad, you should see what's on his computer. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    American theme week at supermarket chain LIDL. 

The All-American Heart Attack/ Diabetes Feed Lot! :lol:

Wtf is in that snack box? Just onion rings?
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    PJ_Soul said:
    https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/20532550/american-style-snack-box-mcennedy

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

I mean, that's pretty American.  But no French freedom fries?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/20532550/american-style-snack-box-mcennedy

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

What the hell is a chili cheese nugget?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

I'm going to guess it's either just battered cheese balls with chili spices in it, or just a dumb way to say jalapeno popper, lol.
  • mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

A ball of fried spicy cheese. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

Maybe the meant chili Cheeto nugget?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mcgruff10 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Mozzarella sticks
    Chili Cheese Nuggets
    Onion Rings

I have no intention of finding out.  At least not first hand.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Yum. Not sure what's so American about it, but I like chocolate covered cranberries quite a bit. Any kind of chocolate covered berry is good.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Yum. Not sure what's so American about it, but I like chocolate covered cranberries quite a bit. Any kind of chocolate covered berry is good.

PJ_Soul said:

It's probably poor-quality chocolate.
    American Way Food.  It's really sad.  Obesity is at epidemic proportions in America today.  When I was in the E.R. recently my wife leaned over and whispered, "I can't believe how many obese health care workers there are here."  She was right.  And not just in the E.R.- in clinics, blood labs, diagnostic centers, etc.  And that's just the health care field.  America needs to get it together.  We're getting fat, stupid, lazy and unskilled.  If that's "great", I'd hate to see what is not great.

• Lots of fat people in the NHS staff here
     We were giving blood and the woman taking it must have been 20 stone or more. Could barely walk. Not right
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Lots of fat people in the NHS staff here
     We were giving blood and the woman taking it must have been 20 stone or more. Could barely walk. Not right
    NHS- is that a hospital?

brianlux said:
    NHS- is that a hospital?

National Health Service

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Health_Service

It the UK's health system.  I have sympathy for people who are overweight.  It's becoming a problem in Canada as well.  We are leading a more sedentary lifestyle than ever before...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    NHS- is that a hospital?

National Health Service

It the UK's health system.  I have sympathy for people who are overweight.  It's becoming a problem in Canada as well.  We are leading a more sedentary lifestyle than ever before...
    Sedentary is part of it for sure, but diet is major.  Way to much sugar, especially corn syrup*, way too much bread, way to much grease, and way to much meat from animals injected with hormones, thus the advent of the 7 foot Chinese basketball player  (growth hormones finding their way through the food chain). 

* Here's how f'd up corn syrup is:

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    NHS- is that a hospital?

National Health Service

Sedentary is part of it for sure, but diet is major.  Way to much sugar, especially corn syrup*, way too much bread, way to much grease, and way to much meat from animals injected with hormones, thus the advent of the 7 foot Chinese basketball player  (growth hormones finding their way through the food chain). 

* Here's how f'd up corn syrup is:

I can not argue with any of that.  If you get a chance google Canada's new food guide, let me know what you think.  I think you might like it.
    Give Peas A Chance…
This discussion has been closed.