SpaceX and all the good space stuff

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, I have to apologize for being pissed at not being able to say bad things about space exploration here.   Beside, most here already know I think the money could be spent better elsewhere.  HOWEVER, it's gonna happen anyway and as a taxpayer, some little portion of it is on my dime.  So, all ya'all, since it's going to go on  (or up, up and away) anyway, tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense.
    Why don't you just start your own thread in the AMT about all the bad stuff Brian and how and where and why the money could be better spent Brian? I actually have a ton to say about why I shouldn't be spent elsewhere, and why it's important to keep funding space projects, but I don't even want to really get into that in this thread either. It really is a discussion better suited to an AMT thread. Especially with the Space Force talk of late, lol, which I also have a lot to say about.

Anyway, I'm not a mod - I can't actually stop people from ruining my thread for me, lol. Apparently a few people want to take issue with my request to make this a positive thread. If this continues on, I'll just request that they close the thread and I'll find another platform to space fangirl on I guess.
    WTF, Allison?  I apologize, actually engage in what you're going for here and get my ass chewed?  OK fine, I'm done here.
    I think you misread my post or something @brianlux . Your ass wasn't chewed, lol. I was legitimately suggesting that you start an AMT thread. And I wasn't talking about you re asking the mods to possibly close the thread.
    OK, I'll take the extra padding out of the seat of my pants now, LOL.

It's all good.  I'll try to be more open minded.  That is why I said, ""tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense",

Mom mother, whom I loved more dearly that almost anyone in the world, was a total fan of space exploration.  When a big space event was televised, she was glued to the TV.  She would have liked this thread.  :smile: 

Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    OK, I have to apologize for being pissed at not being able to say bad things about space exploration here.   Beside, most here already know I think the money could be spent better elsewhere.  HOWEVER, it's gonna happen anyway and as a taxpayer, some little portion of it is on my dime.  So, all ya'all, since it's going to go on  (or up, up and away) anyway, tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense.
    Why don't you just start your own thread in the AMT about all the bad stuff Brian and how and where and why the money could be better spent Brian? I actually have a ton to say about why I shouldn't be spent elsewhere, and why it's important to keep funding space projects, but I don't even want to really get into that in this thread either. It really is a discussion better suited to an AMT thread. Especially with the Space Force talk of late, lol, which I also have a lot to say about.

Anyway, I'm not a mod - I can't actually stop people from ruining my thread for me, lol. Apparently a few people want to take issue with my request to make this a positive thread. If this continues on, I'll just request that they close the thread and I'll find another platform to space fangirl on I guess.
    WTF, Allison?  I apologize, actually engage in what you're going for here and get my ass chewed?  OK fine, I'm done here.
    I think you misread my post or something @brianlux . Your ass wasn't chewed, lol. I was legitimately suggesting that you start an AMT thread. And I wasn't talking about you re asking the mods to possibly close the thread.
    OK, I'll take the extra padding out of the seat of my pants now, LOL.

It's all good.  I'll try to be more open minded.  That is why I said, ""tell me more about what I'm getting for my (and your) dollars.  I think that was the  original idea here.  That seems more worth hearing about than some political nonsense",

Mom mother, whom I loved more dearly that almost anyone in the world, was a total fan of space exploration.  When a big space event was televised, she was glued to the TV.  She would have liked this thread.  :smile: 

Everyday Benefits of Space Exploration
    http://www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/about/everyday-benefits-of-space-exploration/default.asp

15 Ways the International Space Station is Benefiting Earth
    https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/15_ways_iss_benefits_earth
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Oh come on, this is clearly an alien cover up! ;)

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    ""Then there was our first sunrise on orbit, and that was quite an emotional moment. As I looked out the window and this little blue crescent started to get brighter and brighter, I realized, wow this is actually the curve of the Earth. That first sight, that first sunrise, I will never forget.""

The flat earthers need to hear about this! :lol:

I always feel really kind of jealous of astronauts, lol. Although slightly less now, knowing that it might make me feel really congested. Ugh. Nothing worse than sinus congestion!
    Off topic, I had a dentist a few years back who left Vancouver because of sinus congestion.  As far as cool careers, fighter pilot and Astronaut have to be near the top of most people's list.  It will take a mighty big effort for any Canadian to top Chris Hadfield time on the ISS...but great to see this Canadian aboard the ISS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo
    Lol, I agree - one of my first thoughts about "the new astronaut" is that he's got big shoes to fill: Chris Hadfield's. What a strange position to be in (and I can't bring myself to assume this hasn't occurred to this guy.... but I guess anything's possible).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    No one has set foot on the moon in almost 50 years. That could soon change.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/no-one-has-set-foot-moon-almost-50-years-could-ncna953771
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Honestly, I am still not sure if that is a joke.  They can just pick up a phone and dial 911.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Honestly, I am still not sure if that is a joke.  They can just pick up a phone and dial 911.  

Not sure if my comment is a joke? Obviously it's a joke. And yes, I read the article in the link, which explains how the mistake happened. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Awesome thread!  My five year old is addicted to space so I have been to the planetarium four times in the past year.  Heading to the air and space museum in d.c. sometime in the spring and maybe down to Houston in the fall (if the interests holds).  Each clear night the two of us ahead outside and identify planets, stars and constellations.  
    Like most of you I am fascinated with Voyageur; does is still send video back to us?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Awesome thread!  My five year old is addicted to space so I have been to the planetarium four times in the past year.  Heading to the air and space museum in d.c. sometime in the spring and maybe down to Houston in the fall (if the interests holds).  Each clear night the two of us ahead outside and identify planets, stars and constellations.  
    Like most of you I am fascinated with Voyageur; does is still send video back to us?

I had no idea so just checked and found this interesting site. Apparently cameras are turned off to save power and focus on other priorities.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/frequently-asked-questions/
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

I had no idea so just checked and found this interesting site. Apparently cameras are turned off to save power and focus on other priorities.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/frequently-asked-questions/
    Awesome find, thank you. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Vger is still out there???
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Way, way out there. 

Click on the link I posted and see just how far and how fast ;) 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Voyager 2 just passed beyond the heliopause into interstellar space about 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Not sure if my comment is a joke? Obviously it's a joke. And yes, I read the article in the link, which explains how the mistake happened. 
    Don't be so sensitive.  Not every comment is about you, I meant the fuckin article...it was from a rock radio morning show...sheesh
    Give Peas A Chance…

Don't be so sensitive.  Not every comment is about you, I meant the fuckin article...it was from a rock radio morning show...sheesh
    your comment wasn't actually clear what you meant. often wasn't being sensitive at all. not sure how often's comment makes it all about them. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

When you quote someone, your comment is generally about their post. That’s why there was a question mark attached to my comment. 

And I didn’t know what you meant; thus, the question mark. I still don’t, actually. 

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Voyager 2 just passed beyond the heliopause into interstellar space about 3 1/2 weeks ago.
    It's currently chilling behind q book base with Matthew McConaughey???

***spoiler alert***
    Sorry, bad movie joke.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    if that was the one that was taking applications, my cousin applied.  He even got a rejection letter that he was not chosen to go.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Safety and risk issues in the SpaceX-Boeing-NASA equipment look to be leading to further delays in testing the rocket and capsule launch systems.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/02/spacex-boeing-design-risks-threaten-delays-space-projects-190221141108577.html
    SpaceX’s Crew Dragon successfully launches an uncrewed test flight, due to dock at the ISS on Sunday with Ripley on board. 

SpaceX and NASA Launch Is First Step to Renewed Human Spaceflight  
    https://nyti.ms/2EG1paq
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Just finished watching the new Apollo 11 documentary in IMAX. Holy shit!!! What a piece of film. Just stunning.
    Just finished watching the new Apollo 11 documentary in IMAX. Holy shit!!! What a piece of film. Just stunning.
    I heard a review of it yesterday on the radio and yes, it sounded absolutely amazing. 
    The Crew Dragon successfully docks with the station. The first crewed flight may happen as early as July.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/spacex-crew-dragon-rocket-launch-space-station-1.5040880
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Kind of a six degrees of kevin Bacon thing here but One of the female astronauts that went into space, Christina Koch, wel lher brother is married to my friends cousin who i've known for quite some time. She kinda looks like Mayim Bialik, imo.
    Image result for christina koch

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Kind of a six degrees of kevin Bacon thing here but One of the female astronauts that went into space, Christina Koch, wel lher brother is married to my friends cousin who i've known for quite some time. She kinda looks like Mayim Bialik, imo.
    Image result for christina koch

that struck me before I even read you say it. For a split second I thought it WAS her. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD