Where does Pearl Jam go from here?

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I need to hear their next album before answering anything like this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RP112579 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJWGIII said:
    PJNB said:
    They are going back to the studio for a new album. They will tour after that new album. Rinse and repeat. It is just a Christmas single. Yes they have done it since the start but it is not what it used to be and think that if they are not going to give into it what the fans want then it is time to move on. I do not see how this has any affect on anything else that they are doing. 
    Agree. I think it’s just their dedication to new songwriting as a band is waning and they find more and more artistic expression out of the shows over time. They just don’t want to force themselves to write something once a year any more.

I hope this means they put a lot of awesome work into this upcoming album.

The once a year single thing is done and over.  Let's move past that.  What about the future of the band?  I hope you are correct in that they will put "awesome work into this upcoming album".  Personally, I haven't been very excited about the last albums- not since the 2006 self-titled.  Most of the work since then has been fairly forgettable.

If you haven't been excited for an album since 2006, and think their work since then is "forgettable" then I don't think you actually care where Pearl Jam goes from here.
    This is completely wrong.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • To add to the melodrama around here... it has dawned on me this year that Pearl Jam has moved from the soundtrack of my life, to the soundtrack of my younger days. I would say this has been slowly happening since I started a family, and started getting old... whilst at the same time, so did the guys. I saw them at the O2 show this year and it really hit me during the show that I wasn't getting anything like the same feeling as all the times before, and that made me really fucking sad :( Then it occured to me that the last time I had seen them was 2012, before we had kids, life was pretty care and stress free, no responsibilities. In years gone by going to see PJ was a big event, with a big exciting build up. This year, my wife had to remind me "remember we're going to see Pearl Jam tomorrow night?".

I do agree with others that the band has turned in to a nostalgia act, I do agree with others that this is largely because their studio output has dropped off badly after 2006 (in my opinion, of course). But I don't hold anything against them. For what they have given us for the past 25+ years, they can do what the hell they want.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    One more album then they will call it a day ... Stop while there at the top . Gutted 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    edited December 2018
    I don't think they'll break up anytime soon.  I think they've found a balance they can live with.  20-30 shows (in most, but not all years).  An album here and there.  Plenty of leftover time to spend with their families.  I think the reasons they haven't broken up are because they've found a balance.

I think they keep on trucking at their own pace.  Their live shows are still amazing, so I see no reason for them to stop.   Most veteran bands don't put out their best work in their later years.   Someone used Neil Young as an example but he's more like a dartboard.   He puts out so much stuff, sometimes something sticks.   Also only really relevant to his fan base who still buys his stuff.  Just like PJ is mostly only relevant to us the PJ fans.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    To add to the melodrama around here... it has dawned on me this year that Pearl Jam has moved from the soundtrack of my life, to the soundtrack of my younger days. I would say this has been slowly happening since I started a family, and started getting old... whilst at the same time, so did the guys. I saw them at the O2 show this year and it really hit me during the show that I wasn't getting anything like the same feeling as all the times before, and that made me really fucking sad :( Then it occured to me that the last time I had seen them was 2012, before we had kids, life was pretty care and stress free, no responsibilities. In years gone by going to see PJ was a big event, with a big exciting build up. This year, my wife had to remind me "remember we're going to see Pearl Jam tomorrow night?".

I do agree with others that the band has turned in to a nostalgia act, I do agree with others that this is largely because their studio output has dropped off badly after 2006 (in my opinion, of course). But I don't hold anything against them. For what they have given us for the past 25+ years, they can do what the hell they want.
    Good story, summation and well said, Jim.

Zod said:
    I don't think they'll break up anytime soon.  I think they've found a balance they can live with.  20-30 shows (in most, but not all years).  An album here and there.  Plenty of leftover time to spend with their families.  I think the reasons they haven't broken up are because they've found a balance.

I think they keep on trucking at their own pace.  Their live shows are still amazing, so I see no reason for them to stop.   Most veteran bands don't put out their best work in their later years.   Someone used Neil Young as an example but he's more like a dartboard.   He puts out so much stuff, sometimes something sticks.   Also only really relevant to his fan base who still buys his stuff.  Just like PJ is mostly only relevant to us the PJ fans.
    This sounds about right to me.  They're not putting out anything great from the studio any more but still kick it live.  I still can picture them putting out an inspired album again maybe one more time but then maybe not.  Either way, no complaints from me.  They done great work over a longer time than most these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I think this will be their last album. After that it will be strictly a touring band. 
  • FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Its a little funny that the 10c has canned the annual single and people are acting like a member has left or the band has decided to end things. It was more than about time that the single was ended. Gradually later and later, problems with 10c members not getting them, nevermind the recent content which didn't really meet fans expectations. Just look at the shambolic 2016 single. For one reason or another they couldn't meet the commitment of a single a year. They did what was right and stopped it before another year began and they got further backlogged with these. Don't read too much into it folks.
    FR181798 said:
    Its a little funny that the 10c has canned the annual single and people are acting like a member has left or the band has decided to end things. It was more than about time that the single was ended. Gradually later and later, problems with 10c members not getting them, nevermind the recent content which didn't really meet fans expectations. Just look at the shambolic 2016 single. For one reason or another they couldn't meet the commitment of a single a year. They did what was right and stopped it before another year began and they got further backlogged with these. Don't read too much into it folks.
    "Couldn't meet or just didn't want to?"  seems to be the question I'm reading most lately.  I really don't know.  Either way, the problem was with making a commitment* in the past that wasn't upheld, not whether or not to continue it.  Evolution?  Why not.  That's natural. 

Also, I don't know who was most responsible for that commitment.  The band or 10C?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    FR181798 said:

OK, so back to speculation where the band is headed. 

The truth of the matter is, Pearl Jam has been around long enough to fully have the right (not that they ever didn't) to determine their own future of lack there of.  That's cool.  But if I had my two cents, I would say personally I would like to see them fully commit to being a band.  Let go all the hoopla.  Just focus on being a great band and loving playing for appreciative crowds.  That, or call it a day.

For example:  Dinosaur Jr.  Not a lot of hoopla.  No fan club to speak of (though there is a cool independent Facebook group) or gigundo stadium show.  Just solid commitment to making great music both in the studio and while touring live.  They've been around since 1984 and are still making great new music and playing amazing shows.  And it's all about making great music, nothing more.  I think Pearl Jam is capable of the same thing, if that is what they want to do.   Instead they have chosen to be what I see as their own tribute band.  Not that they don't do it well, obviously, and that's fine.  It's just not what turns me on in the world of music.

• A lot of people are freaking out over little things in my opinion

The Pearl Jam dudes are all older and have families, their record making process takes a bit longer but that doesn't mean they are gearing towards any sort of musical end at all.  And the Christmas single's material has seemed not as "on it" as the past ones were so to me it isn't a huge loss or signal of anything beyond that
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    It has to come to an end at some point i'm sure they've talked about it , people need to come to terms with the possibility of the end of this great band they've giving us way more then you can expect from any artist , i'm fine if i don't see them as a band ever again ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • People keep talking about them as family men, and trust me, if I were in their position I probably wouldn't be doing anything different, but they don't 'work' in the way the average person does.  Aside from having the luxury of taking their time, I think it probably just gets harder as you get older to find something new to say, let alone fit it into the mould of a 'Pearl Jam' record.

I don't think they'll be giving up any time soon, but at this point I think they need a new record in order to keep doing what they're doing.
    This is not about the single people. This is a topic about your thoughts and what direction the band is heading.

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    I’ll miss the single but not all the drama it brought on here. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

This is not about the single people. This is a topic about your thoughts and what direction the band is heading.

on2legs said:
    I’ll miss the single but not all the drama it brought on here. 
    Good try, Will.  :lol:

• i got idi got id Posts: 862
    People have been talking about them breaking up since Binaural. I remember so much speculation that’s Parting Ways was there last song. And look how that turned out. 

Haha thanks, I tried 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    The e-mail about the d/c of the 45 ALSO states they are excited for 2019. I might despair from time to time, but I won’t give up on my favorite band. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    edited December 2018
    Here’s what I think about what’s been happening—

maybe the single got to be more expensive to produce and rather than raising fan club rates again, they decided to discontinue it?
    maybe they got tired of reading all the complaints?
    perhaps they no longer felt inspired to produce them?

As for their future, it seems unlikely that they will stop being a band because AS A BAND they can accomplish a lot of non-musical goals.  It seems strange to me that in a year where they were able to donate MILLIONS of dollars to help the Seattle homeless, fans behave as if the band members are no longer activists.  They also helped many people get registered to vote in Montana which I’m sure helped the mid-term elections.  They still care about the world and helping people. 

If they broke up, they could no longer fund their charitable foundation.  They aren’t going to want to lose that.
    I think they will stay together as long as they can because without the band working, the new money dries up.

On the subject of musical art, they are still creative people.  I’d be surprised if these men who have been musicians for their whole lives ever stopped creating in some form or another.

However, the future is always a mystery!
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    To add to the melodrama around here... it has dawned on me this year that Pearl Jam has moved from the soundtrack of my life, to the soundtrack of my younger days. I would say this has been slowly happening since I started a family, and started getting old... whilst at the same time, so did the guys. I saw them at the O2 show this year and it really hit me during the show that I wasn't getting anything like the same feeling as all the times before, and that made me really fucking sad :( Then it occured to me that the last time I had seen them was 2012, before we had kids, life was pretty care and stress free, no responsibilities. In years gone by going to see PJ was a big event, with a big exciting build up. This year, my wife had to remind me "remember we're going to see Pearl Jam tomorrow night?".

Oddly enough, I started going to PJ concerts AFTER I had kids. 
    We, of course, have no solid way to predict where PJ will go but there have been several interesting speculations here. 

Some of the points that have come up a few times in various ways include the thought that the band is older now, that they have other responsibility, and (most interesting to me) the notion that after all this time they don't have much to say. 

The part about getting older concerns me.  I'm 67.  I've seen my generation go from very active and involved in the world to, generally, much more sedate and self-focused.  I guess this is a normal part of aging for the average person.  But at the same time, there are a certain percentage of older people who don't lose the desire to remain engaged and active.  The ones who stay most active are, to me, very enviable.  (In other words, I'm not patting myself on the back.  I try to keep up but I have peers who are more active than I am.  I envy their strength.)  Same with musicians.  Some of them just keep going, some back off.  I can see PJ going either way.  If they chose to stay involved, the may not jump as high off the stage, but they have gained wisdom that can take them (and us) higher in other ways.

That's where the "something to say" comes in.  That's where the ability to jump higher in a different way comes in.  Look at Mark Twain, for example.  His most potent (and, sadly, most suppressed) writing came about in later life.  Pearl Jam have the potential to be today's Mark Twain.

So yes, it's a lot to expect this band to stay active or even to stay together.  If they decide to keep going, I hope they use their gained wisdom to make it something great, maybe even greater than ever.  And if not, well, they've already done some great stuff , so there you go.  Well done and thank you, guys.

• southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 988
    I reckon they will put out another album and will tour again. 

That's just my gut feel....
    rustedsigns
  • They are just taking a break
    rather than keep playing shows and got burnt out
    And the new album is surely coming
    PJ 2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    PJ 2018: London 1, Padova, Roma, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, London 2
    EV 2017: Amsterdam 2&3, London 1&2
  • There best album since No Code is what’s next
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    edited December 2018
    I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t frustrated. But I’m not going to let it bother me. They are very inactive and the touring schedule has become a joke. For the first time ever, the shows this summer felt kind of gimmicky. It just sucks watching other bands actively tour, play NYE shows , residencies (Not Vegas) etc. this band has 5 song writers in it. It just makes no sense to me. The only news we ever get is new merch, which is just, embarrassing to me. But again, I’ll always love this band and that’s why it hurts even more. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    They are just taking a break
    rather than keep playing shows and got burnt out
    And the new album is surely coming
    Burnt out? I’m sure those 7 shows over two months didn’t burn them out. I’m just saying... the merch is what allows them to be this inactive imo. And hey, good for them I guess. More time with the family. But it’s still frustrating. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    For the first time ever, the shows this summer felt kind of gimmicky. 
    I've felt this way since the 2013 shows. 
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    The band is roughly the same age that the Stones were for Voodoo Lounge. The VL tour was 129 (mostly stadium) shows on 6 continents in just over a year. That's pretty astonishing. A comparable album and a tour even 1/3 of that would be amazing right now for PJ