Is technology taking over our lives?!?

Comments

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah I’m talking about driverless cars not trams or trains , I was on tram on Saturday from airport to train hub in Queens ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    It's bad enough you can hardly find a manual fucking transmission anymore... I never want to set foot in a car without a steering wheel and pedals.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    You all sound so old!

get off my lawn young whippersnappers!!!!

hippiemom = goodness
    I'm all for embracing technology...  I just enjoy (and much prefer) driving a vehicle on my own.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    You all sound so old!

get off my lawn young whippersnappers!!!!

Old?  Who's old?  Fuck that.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I'm all for embracing technology...  I just enjoy (and much prefer) driving a vehicle on my own.
    I bet your grandfather never wanted to step foot in a flying metal tube!!!

hippiemom = goodness
  • It's bad enough you can hardly find a manual fucking transmission anymore... I never want to set foot in a car without a steering wheel and pedals.
    They've made the trannys so much better than a human can do it's not even funny now.

No need for a clutch and a shifter anymore.

They do have those paddle shifter things that I hate though...
    It's bad enough you can hardly find a manual fucking transmission anymore... I never want to set foot in a car without a steering wheel and pedals.
    They've made the trannys so much better than a human can do it's not even funny now.

I have yet to drive an automatic that is better at selecting gears than I am.  Smooth shifts, sure.  Intelligent shifts, not even close.
    I bet your grandfather never wanted to step foot in a flying metal tube!!!

Even if he didn't, not sure how that relates to this.
  • It's bad enough you can hardly find a manual fucking transmission anymore... I never want to set foot in a car without a steering wheel and pedals.

I have yet to drive an automatic that is better at selecting gears than I am.  Smooth shifts, sure.  Intelligent shifts, not even close.
    You haven't driven a car that's built for it yet then...

Pick up an issue of Car and Driver.  They complain about the lack of a stick shift too but know that the tech is there in the sportscars now.

Transmission technology is great. The Prius transmission isn't even separate gears, it's more like an elongated cylinder.  My car savvy nephew explained it to me a few years back- pretty sophisticated.

But that said, there is nothing like the driving experience of manually shifting through the gears.  Maybe not so fun in a place like San Francisco where there is a stop sign at the top of a street like this (I've done it many a time and never rolled back into someone but have come mighty close!):

But on a road like this one, nothing beats a good automatic tranny:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• brianlux said:

Transmission technology is great. The Prius transmission isn't even separate gears, it's more like an elongated cylinder.  My car savvy nephew explained it to me a few years back- pretty sophisticated.

But that said, there is nothing like the driving experience of manually shifting through the gears.  Maybe not so fun in a place like San Francisco where there is a stop sign at the top of a street like this (I've done it many a time and never rolled back into someone but have come mighty close!):

But on a road like this one, nothing beats a good automatic tranny:

On a trip back from the Sequoias in Cali the descent was pretty steep so I kept shifting the automatic from gear to gear.  My GF asked "why" I kept fidgeting with the stick.  I told her to sniff the outside and what do you smell?  That smell are peoples brakes and that is bad!!!
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    When employers stop providing phones to employees and instead offer a stipend and force employees to download corporate apps on their personal phones...

Is THAT invasion of privacy?

(Because you know employers will sue for access if there are ever any "corporate" issues)
    When employers stop providing phones to employees and instead offer a stipend and force employees to download corporate apps on their personal phones...

Is THAT invasion of privacy?

(Because you know employers will sue for access if there are ever any "corporate" issues)
    My company does this already. Well they give you an option actually. 

I was concerned a bit at first and then realized everything about me was already out on the web. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…

:wink:
    LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…

Ha ha!  Love 'em both!  :lol:

• :wink:
    Or how about the gear shifter on the tree again?!?

Or how about the gear shifter on the tree again?!?

Now you are talking.  lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Obviously, digital is taking over our lives.  Almost everything is digital these days.   Other than expensive new vinyl LPs (often pressed from a digital source), music is digital.  Light (harsh LED) is quickly turning digital.  Movies are digital.  TV is digital.  Banking is digital.  Printing is digital.

I know life changes- I've been around long enough to know that- but the change to an all-digital world is depressing to me.  I'm glad I'm old.  I will only have to live a relatively small percentage of my life in an all digital phony world. 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    having spent significant time with a manual transmission in a semi during various rush hours and behind accidents, I can assure you modern automated manual truck transmissions are a fucking godsend.........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Give Peas A Chance…

Haha! 

And these too, soon to become obscure artifacts:

Seriously though, I worked with students at our local college in the early 2000's, many of them in their freshman year, and I was amazed by the poor handwriting of so many of those students.  It often looked something like this:

• brianlux said:

Haha! 

Seriously though, I worked with students at our local college in the early 2000's, many of them in their freshman year, and I was amazed by the poor handwriting of so many of those students.  It often looked something like this:

My handwriting has always been awful if I rush, which I often do...
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:

Haha! 

When I'm in a hurry, mine is messy as well.  I can still write neatly when I want to but not for as long due to age/arthritis.  When I was younger I could print by hand, as one friend once put it, "like a typewriter" and my cursive was good. 

But does anyone write like this these days?:

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Haha! 

When I'm in a hurry, mine is messy as well.  I can still write neatly when I want to but not for as long due to age/arthritis.  When I was younger I could print by hand, as one friend once put it, "like a typewriter" and my cursive was good. 

That's calligraphy, no?

I never took that in school.  I know the art department taught it but phased it out.

Hold on...  Let me try.
    brianlux said:

Haha! 

I am good buddies with a retired teacher.  He was a science teacher, he showed me the quality of the students works from when he first started teaching in 75, then he showed me the more recent work.  No doubt the 70's school was at least a more presentable...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Haha! 

That's calligraphy, no?

I never took that in school.  I know the art department taught it but phased it out.

Hold on...  Let me try.
    Yeah kind of- I meant to just post a photo of neat cursive.  I think more traditional calligraphy has thicker and thinner lines like this:

I know a woman who has illegible hand writing and yet can do calligraphy like a fine artist.  It's strange how different they are.