Options

the only thing bugging me this tour

2»

Comments

• Options
    Rayne wrote:
    Ok...gotta say it...I LOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooove participating. I sing to every song, I scream, I hoot, I girlie screach...you name it ( although I do NOT scream "EDDIE" when it's silent in the venue in the inane hope to be heard...grow up, ladies..) BUT I can't stand it when the crowd, or SOME of it, 'do-do-do-do-do-do-dooooo' when Ed is trying to tag Black with spontaneous lyrics. I would much rather have enjoyed actually hearing what he sang. My opinion. Gotta get the boot now, even though I shoulds HEARD it during...

I think this is the crux of the complaint. I kinda feel like the crowd is like, "oo, it's time to sing do-do-do-do-do-do" and they'll do it no matter what, even if ed is trying to sing or mike is trying to rip a solo...i don't think anyone's "mad" about it or anything but it's a little aggrevating. to be perfectly honest, while the crowd was singing over ed's tag, I felt almost embarassed for us...
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    allright, the challenge is on! participate your asses off, and get eddie to say that you guys beat boston out in the cheering department. i'm not saying you can't do it, or that i don't want you to do it, in fact, i think it would be very cool if you could pull it off. it would make us try even harder in boston the next time they come around. good luck!

It's a challenge we will gladly accept ;):D Right the competition is on :p
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    brain of c wrote:
    hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!.......hey!

Guilty! And I will do it again and again and again. Listen to the album if you just want the band to play. Or just sit up in the balcony with all the other dead beats!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Carlos D wrote:
    It wasn't about that!This guy is a spoilt brat,he gets to see SIX shows!I'm trying to get enough money to buy a ticket off eBay just for one show and this guy gets to see six of them and still complains.He picked the smallest and dumbest things to complain about.What does he want the crowd to do?Just stand there?He's an idiot in my opinion.

I'm an idiot now. I love it, bring it on. I'm an idiot for thinking it would be nice to actually hear Mike pour his heart out during Alive and Black. I miss seeing him stand up there and destroy the whole place just by bending the right note. Jesus. Listen to Black from LO2L. Listen to that freaking solo. It's sick. Mike owns that section, and now I just feel like we don't get to hear it at all. Listen to bootlegs from 91-03. The "Hey" (or "Yeah") chant during Alive and the dododododo part during Black was always lead by Ed. And hey, maybe we're beyond that now and like I said it really doesn't kill any part of the show as far as I am concerned. I am just saying, for the love of god people, that I miss the days when Ed would whip us into a frenzy and lead us through the chants. Jesus, I'm getting freaking chastized for expressing an opinion. I am not a spoiled fan, and I'm sorry if a miniscule little complaint/observation I brought up has angered you so much. I guess from now on unless I kiss their asses as well as the fans' I will just keep my mouth shut.

I went to 6 shows. That makes me no bigger or smaller of a fan than any of you. I don't have some sort of elitest mentality.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,253
    FINALLY, I know what is being chanted! I was in Boston and I didn't know what people were chanting. Now, I get to tell my nephew and niece it's "Hey."
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Audience singing can be great. I love Ed's voice on the first verse of Better Man, but him not singing a word of it at the Astoria (and his expression during it) was great too.

But to be great it was to be spare, that makes it special, goosebump inducing.

If you have someone loud and tuneless next to you on the other hand it can get very irritating .. I mean if you can't even hear the music for it..
    So some yes, great. The whole show, no thanks.

Don't want a Pearl Jam gig to turn into a Sound of Music or Rocky Horror Show screening do we? ;)
  • Options
    I see what you're saying, but I think this is one of PJ's coolest audience participation moments. Every time there is a "Hey!" the house lights flash on and everyone puts their hands in the air. I just think it looks really cool and everyone (almost) seems super into it. I seriously doubt Mike cares. He's rocking out and loving it imo.

i agree with this post

i saw the band from the back of the arena in cleveland and loved the way this hey chant played out...it was so much fun to get a full stadium perspective of it going down

it's a great live moment

don't change a thing
  • Options
    Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    I see what you're saying, but I think this is one of PJ's coolest audience participation moments. Every time there is a "Hey!" the house lights flash on and everyone puts their hands in the air. I just think it looks really cool and everyone (almost) seems super into it. I seriously doubt Mike cares. He's rocking out and loving it imo.

Its a good point that you bring up the lights, because during Alive and the Hey! part the yellow lights light up everytime that crowd sais it and they raise their hand, so I think that they are specting that since it been going on for quite some time.

I thin its awesome, the more crowd participation that better!
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    People need to make up their minds. People are complaining when the crowd isn't into it. Then they complain when they are.

Let me also add that I *love* crowd participation. Singing Betterman, the screams at the end of Jeremy, and yes...the chant during Alive and the signing during Black. I love it all. There is nothing like the feeling of looking around at 20,000 fans getting into a PJ show in unison. I think some people are taking my original post too far. I am not saying "Stand there with your arms by your sides and nod your head quietly the whole show". My little annoyance was with 2 songs only. Both are Mike-driven at the end, and I am just used to seeing Ed gauge the crowd and feed off of them once Mike has done his thing. That has apparently changed and for better or for worse it's going to be like that from now on. Like I said, I'll live.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    I think this is the crux of the complaint. I kinda feel like the crowd is like, "oo, it's time to sing do-do-do-do-do-do" and they'll do it no matter what, even if ed is trying to sing or mike is trying to rip a solo...i don't think anyone's "mad" about it or anything but it's a little aggrevating. to be perfectly honest, while the crowd was singing over ed's tag, I felt almost embarassed for us...
    in DC the house lights went up to prompt the hey part so my guess is.....THE BAND WANTS US TO FUCKING DO IT!
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,253
    BinFrog wrote:
    It used to be that Mike got his chance to solo and go nuts, and then if Ed was in the mood he got the Hey chant going.

, but part of me misses the spontaneity of the Alive/Black sing-alongs in years past.
    Not sure how in the past it was considered "spontaneity" if the chant only arose at Ed's beckon.
    To me thats the opposite of spontatneous.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    Not sure how in the past it was considered "spontaneity" if the chant only arose at Ed's beckon.
    To me thats the opposite of spontatneous.

But Ed didn't used to do it at every show is what I was getting at. It was spontaneous in that if he was in the mood for it, buckle your seatbelts.
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    i remember at BLACK SABBATH a few years ago during paranoid ozzy encouraged the crowd to shout 'HEY' all over Tony Iommis solo

Tone was all hurt like
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018