Options

the only thing bugging me this tour

BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
edited May 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
I've been to 4 shows and I have to say the boys are on fire. God, I am just in awe, and I still have 2 more to go!

But something that has become more prevalent lately is bugging me a little bit. It shouldn't, but it does. The fans starting the "HEY!" chant during Alive without Ed's guide. It's like, Mike goes crazy on guitar and he gets drowned out by the Heys. It used to be that Mike got his chance to solo and go nuts, and then if Ed was in the mood he got the Hey chant going. I feel bad for Mike, and I wonder if he holds back a little because he thinks "what's the use?"

The 'do do do do dododo' sing along in Black is starting to drown out Mike's solos too. Again, I preferred it what Ed prompted the crowd to sing along.

Maybe that seems petty. I love the enthusiasm, and yes I sing along and chant the Hey section with everyone because that's apparently where the crowd is at these days, but part of me misses the spontaneity of the Alive/Black sing-alongs in years past.

I'm not one to complain usually. I just miss Mike's spotlight in both of these songs.

That being said: neither 'issue' detracted from my enjoyment of either of the shows I went to. Whether you go to 1 show or 20 this tour, you are in for a treat. My tour is almost over, and someone else's is about to begin...and I am psyched for all of us. God I love this band.
Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    if you're above the crowd (i.e. 6 feet and taller) it doesn't drown out as bad as someone yelling in my ear. i love the crowd participation. if i felt cheated on not hearing evertything crystal clear, i look forward to the bootlegs.

hell, half the time i don't understand vedder's comments in between songs, but the bootlegs saves it for me. i really really love the fact there's bootlegs for each show.
  • Options
    vic in T.O.vic in T.O. Posts: 385
    BinFrog wrote:
    I've been to 4 shows and I have to say the boys are on fire. God, I am just in awe, and I still have 2 more to go!

But something that has become more prevalent lately is bugging me a little bit. It shouldn't, but it does. The fans starting the "HEY!" chant during Alive without Ed's guide. It's like, Mike goes crazy on guitar and he gets drowned out by the Heys. It used to be that Mike got his chance to solo and go nuts, and then if Ed was in the mood he got the Hey chant going. I feel bad for Mike, and I wonder if he holds back a little because he thinks "what's the use?"

The 'do do do do dododo' sing along in Black is starting to drown out Mike's solos too. Again, I preferred it what Ed prompted the crowd to sing along.

Maybe that seems petty. I love the enthusiasm, and yes I sing along and chant the Hey section with everyone because that's apparently where the crowd is at these days, but part of me misses the spontaneity of the Alive/Black sing-alongs in years past.

I'm not one to complain usually. I just miss Mike's spotlight in both of these songs.

That being said: neither 'issue' detracted from my enjoyment of either of the shows I went to. Whether you go to 1 show or 20 this tour, you are in for a treat. My tour is almost over, and someone else's is about to begin...and I am psyched for all of us. God I love this band.

yeah i was thinking the same thing at the toronto shows and i completely agree that it should stop and wait to see if eddie wants that reaction from the crowd cuz right now it just feels like a normal part of the song and doesnt have that special feeling to it anymore ....just my 2 cents worth
    8/18/93-Toronto
    9/21/96-T.O
    10/1/96- Buff.
    8/22/98-Barrie
    10/5/00-T.O
    5/2/03-Buff.
    6/28/03-T.O.
    6/29/03-MTL.
    9/28/04-Bos.
    9/11/05-Kitchener
    9/12/05-London
    9/13/05-Hamilton
    9/19/05-T.O.
    5/9/06-T.O.
    5/10/06-T.O.
    E.V 08/12&13-MASSEY!!
  • Options
    I see what you're saying, but I think this is one of PJ's coolest audience participation moments. Every time there is a "Hey!" the house lights flash on and everyone puts their hands in the air. I just think it looks really cool and everyone (almost) seems super into it. I seriously doubt Mike cares. He's rocking out and loving it imo.
    Matt and I are friends.
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    Gotta disagree... the more audience participation the better... you guys wouldn't like the European shows then... ;)
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    gvn2fly12gvn2fly12 Posts: 787
    Its all sweet, I think when the crowd gets into it more the band feeds off that energy...maybe???
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • Options
    nothingman44nothingman44 Posts: 1,495
    they feed off shit like that...

the guys were totally blown away buy the participation in boston. you could see it in their faces. they loved it.
  • Options
    offwegooffwego Posts: 27
    Tell 50,000 Brazilians not to chant, its somewhat spiritual for me,
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    gvn2fly12 wrote:
    Its all sweet, I think when the crowd gets into it more the band feeds off that energy...maybe???

Most definitely. I bet it's hard to beat the feeling they get when the audience sing along. Hell just being in the crowd and I get goose bumps at moments like that.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    John BudgeJohn Budge Posts: 260
    If you're tired of crowd participation, then sit in non-10C seats.
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    I have to say that I love all the singing and chanting. It's what makes a truly great show and I like to believe that the boys love it, too.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    The "Alive" chant is pretty much routine now. In Chicago, Ed was actually singing into the mic with us. I agree though, that the Europeans crowds put us to shame when it comes to crowd participation, they are so damn passionate.
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08
  • Options
    JJDJJD Posts: 17
    I was at a show a long time ago and this kinda stuck with me.......some guy beside me said.........." I came to hear the singer sing not the fucken guy beside me".............now I'm kinda concious of others around me .....do i sing or don't I......All i want is for everyone to have a great time........JJD
  • Options
    hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I think they love it. I've been down in front and seen Ed with a huge grin on his face, looking out over the crowd and shaking his head like he can't quite believe what he's seeing, then gesture over toward Mike as though he's asking him to keep the solo going a while longer ... and Mike grins back and keeps going ... it's a beautiful thing :D
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • Options
    UKDaveUKDave Posts: 5,557
    We're there to show our appreciation of the band and we will do it in spades... How would the band feel if we just stood there like robots :rolleyes: bring on Dublin... :D:D
    Astoria Crew
    Troubled souls unite, we got ourselves tonight...
    Astoria, Dublin, Reading 06
    Katowice, Wembley 07
    SBE, Manchester, O2 09
    Hyde Park 10
    Manchester 1&2 12
    This is just g'bye for now...
  • Options
    nah, i'm all about the chanting, it's what makes the shows better. they would much prefer us to get into the songs the way we do than to stand passively and just listen. the experience is heightened buy it.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:

I honestly could not agree more. At some points, it's like the fans have taken over the show. It's rock music, it's fine...but there is something weird about it. The Do-do-do-do-do-do-dos really started to get on my nerves the other night. These "sing-a-long" things used to be spontaneous and that was amazing, but they're so planned now, it does detract from the show.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I definitley think the band feeds of it. And, sometimes I can't hear the solos, thats what the boots are for. I can't imagine any guitar player (I'm one myself) not trying to put his all into the last solo.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    People need to make up their minds. People are complaining when the crowd isn't into it. Then they complain when they are.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    obiwon76 wrote:
    The "Alive" chant is pretty much routine now. In Chicago, Ed was actually singing into the mic with us. I agree though, that the Europeans crowds put us to shame when it comes to crowd participation, they are so damn passionate.

That's cos they only venture over into our territory once every six years, gotta show 'em we still love 'em!! :D
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    UKDave wrote:
    We're there to show our appreciation of the band and we will do it in spades... How would the band feel if we just stood there like robots :rolleyes: bring on Dublin... :D:D

Oh yeah!!!!.... When the boys come to dublin we'll show em what real 'crowd participation' is!!!!!!
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    moho wrote:
    Oh yeah!!!!.... When the boys come to dublin we'll show em what real 'crowd participation' is!!!!!!

allright, the challenge is on! participate your asses off, and get eddie to say that you guys beat boston out in the cheering department. i'm not saying you can't do it, or that i don't want you to do it, in fact, i think it would be very cool if you could pull it off. it would make us try even harder in boston the next time they come around. good luck!
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    I think I know what you are trying to say. I kinda felt that way at Chicago 1 this year. Everyone was chanting "HEY" in ALive way before Ed even did the "WOwt-ta-unUh, yeah-ta-unUH". And then they proceeded to continue thru Mikes solo at the end. Of course there is a time for all of they HEYS, and that comes near the end of Mikes solo. Yes, PJ shows depend on the crowd and their participation, however not everyone are PJ veterans like us.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    CaterinaACaterinaA Posts: 572
    I'll just quote Mr. Vedder

"We should pay to see you sing"

After Black in Buenos Aires 11/25/05

You should have seen the guys faces, they were in total shock and awe after our chantings and our enthusiam...I believe they totally love people's participation, it gets them going.

Anyway, at least here in Latin America, telling people to shut up would be even harder than ending hunger in Africa...

Peace from Argentina
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    BinFrog wrote:

Oh boo hoo,poor you.It must be tough for you going to see all those shows and having approximately 30 seconds to complain about.Pearl Jam fans will complain about fucking anything,whinging bastards.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    Carlos D wrote:
    Oh boo hoo,poor you.It must be tough for you going to see all those shows and having approximately 30 seconds to complain about.Pearl Jam fans will complain about fucking anything,whinging bastards.

geeezzzz. you can't make one observation, suggestion, recommendation, anecdote, comment, or question on this board without getting some kind of "boo-hoo" post in return.
  • Options
    cuyler41cuyler41 Posts: 383
    Carlos D wrote:

Cheers to that!
  • Options
    Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    geeezzzz. you can't make one observation, suggestion, recommendation, anecdote, comment, or question on this board without getting some kind of "boo-hoo" post in return.

It wasn't about that!This guy is a spoilt brat,he gets to see SIX shows!I'm trying to get enough money to buy a ticket off eBay just for one show and this guy gets to see six of them and still complains.He picked the smallest and dumbest things to complain about.What does he want the crowd to do?Just stand there?He's an idiot in my opinion.
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,444
    BinFrog wrote:

If thats how you feel, why don't you go to a facist dictator's rally where people only react upon being "prompted".

Sheesh!
  • Options
    RayneRayne Posts: 99
    Ok...gotta say it...I LOOoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOooooove participating. I sing to every song, I scream, I hoot, I girlie screach...you name it ( although I do NOT scream "EDDIE" when it's silent in the venue in the inane hope to be heard...grow up, ladies..) BUT I can't stand it when the crowd, or SOME of it, 'do-do-do-do-do-do-dooooo' when Ed is trying to tag Black with spontaneous lyrics. I would much rather have enjoyed actually hearing what he sang. My opinion. Gotta get the boot now, even though I shoulds HEARD it during...
    Underneath this smile lies everything...How I choose to feel, is how I AM!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~
  • Options
    Human TideHuman Tide Posts: 319