Moline 2014 - No Code Full Show

Hey everyone, thanks for voting in our latest poll to decide the next Live On 4 Legs episode. It was a really close battle between Moline, Toronto and Torino, but Moline squeaked by winning by two votes!

If you have a good story/memory from being at this Moline show, we'd love to hear your take. This was the first time in this era where they attempted this experiment even though they had done Ten in full as well as Avocado. How big of a surprise was it for you to hear the full album? When did you realize what was happening? Did the idea of them playing a full album ruin the unpredictability of the set list? Let us know what you think. We record the episode on Tuesday, so please either comment below or write to us at liveon4legspodcast@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing some great stories for this one!
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• JM276219JM276219 Chicago Burbs Posts: 60
    I surprised my wife with tickets to that show.  My first time using fan club for tickets.  Got front row directly behind GA.  We were more than excited for the seats.  The fact they played my favorite album was just icing on the cake!  Still bummed that I didn't get the poster.  The show was such a great experience, I really hope they go back to Moline.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I remember thinking it was odd that they played Hail Hail after Sometimes...then when they started Who You Are I looked at the guy next to me and said something like how crazy it was that they played three No Code tunes in a row and he said "yeah and in order!"....then it kicked in.

Really special night.  Present Tense was amazing.

The only down side of the night was the idiot a few rows up from me that kept screaming at Eddie every time he would talk. He kept telling him to "shut up and sing" and kept telling him to "put down the guitar you're a singer" at the top of his lungs.  Really wanted to strangle that idiot but I think he passed out after a few songs.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Garden and Present Tense were some of the best versions of those songs at Moline. A lot of energy. Could tell the band thought they were taking a risk of full No Code and when it worked, played like it was immensely fun for them
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I remember thinking it was odd that they played Hail Hail after Sometimes...then when they started Who You Are I looked at the guy next to me and said something like how crazy it was that they played three No Code tunes in a row and he said "yeah and in order!"....then it kicked in.

The only down side of the night was the idiot a few rows up from me that kept screaming at Eddie every time he would talk. He kept telling him to "shut up and sing" and kept telling him to "put down the guitar you're a singer" at the top of his lungs.  Really wanted to strangle that idiot but I think he passed out after a few songs.
    Concert douches are the worse douches of all douches.  There should be a douche test before they can enter a concert.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• FrankSFrankS Posts: 273
    First (and only) time I've had GA for a show. Ended up about 4 or 5 deep between Ed and Stone. I can still picture this poor kid (probably in the 15-18 range) when everyone was leaving the GA pit afterwards and he's just projectile vomiting. I don't think he hit anyone, but it did not look fun.
    8/23/2009[Chicago], 5/07/2010[Noblesville], 9/3/2011 [PJ20], 9/4/2011 [PJ20], 7/19/2013 [Chicago], 10/17/2014 [Moline], 8/22/2016 [Chicago], 8/18/2018 [Chicago], 8/20/2018 [Chicago]; 9/5/2023 [Chicago]; 9/7/2023 [Chicago]
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    PB11041 said:

Concert douches are the worse douches of all douches.  There should be a douche test before they can enter a concert.
    I'm actually surprised someone didn't beat his ass....I kept thinking that someone would take care of him but he just kept going at it.  It's possible that security took him out.  I don't recall.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • New episode is out!
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • jh216603jh216603 Lawrence, KS Posts: 2
    "who you are" drums
    "Hey, nice place you got... Looks like a blind date ..."
    Best Pearl Jam show ever, and I'm not alone in this thought. 
    Then the In My Tree drums, and several of us knew. 
    Still amazes me. So glad I was there.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow board member I was fortunate to secure GA for Moline. As if securing GA for Detroit the night prior wasn’t fun enough (again a fellow board member’s generous trade) the show and even the city of Moline made for an amazing experience. Literally the only downside was exhaustion. Woke up early to get to Detroit in the morning only to then hit the road right after the show for the 6 hour drive to Moline. Stopped to sleep for an hour or two at a rest stop and walked up to iwireless ~8:30am right as the crew buses started arriving. At that point started walking the city to take it all in before a meal and the show. To make a long story short it didn’t dawn on me until Habit what was going on as I was rocking out but completely out of it. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Detroit >Moline, do not @ me 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited December 2018
    I agree.  The Detroit bootleg sounds so much better than moline. Detroit might be my favorite boot from 2014. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    mcgruff10 said:
    I agree.  The Detroit bootleg sounds so much better than moline. Detroit might be my favorite boot from 2014. 
    Minnesota is pretty damn good too.  One thing for sure about most of the album shows, they probably should have rehearsed the material more.  They are choppy, particularly the songs that seldom get played.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

mcgruff10 said:
    The proof is in the pudding 
  • RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    Detroit. LOL
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    RP112579 said:
    Detroit. LOL
    I like it
    Detroit 
  • JeremyV135JeremyV135 Posts: 136
    Detroit was my first PJ show in 14 years. Mind completely blown. What a show. 
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,927
    Detroit is a great bootleg (the best of the US leg of 2014) but I imagine nothing could match the feeling of being there when No Code was played in full. Especially when this was before any of the recent run of full album shows. 
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
    tino_11 said:
    Detroit is a great bootleg (the best of the US leg of 2014) but I imagine nothing could match the feeling of being there when No Code was played in full. Especially when this was before any of the recent run of full album shows. 
    A die hard fun would love it but I imagine the vast majority of the crowd was bored as hell. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    Playing full albums is a gimmick I'm not fully behind. Unless it is like when they played Ten in 1991 or S/T in 2006. When they are fresh.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Playing full albums is a gimmick I'm not fully behind. Unless it is like when they played Ten in 1991 or S/T in 2006. When they are fresh.
    Agreed.  I think it is really lame and lazy. 
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I seen Jeff the night before the 2014 show at Chelis. I was actually standing outside having a smoke, leaning against the front of the building, literally streets were empty because it was gloomy out. Anyway, a cab pulls up in front of Chelis and Jeff pops out the back and walks in, lol. I was way to hammered to be saying anything though. I just went back in and kept drinking. It was pretty cool, they had the big PJ banner on the side of Chelis. Top 5 live show for me probably. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,927
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    A die hard fun would love it but I imagine the vast majority of the crowd was bored as hell. 
    Good point, although I imagine most die hard were together in GA/10c seats so the atmosphere for those people would have been great. 

I'm just guessing though. No Code is one of my favourites so I would have loved to have been there.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
    I went to both - it's like comparing blondes to brunettes - both girls were pretty ;)
  • colors blendcolors blend Posts: 195
    True story....A friend and I who talk Pearl Jam all the time were going over songs we like hearing, have never heard, etc and I made the comment "I'd be happy if they just played No Code"......next show we go to is Moline with GA seats and there it is
    you're god and you've got big hands
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    I can only imagine what would happen if they decided to play an even-lesser known album like Binaural in full. Oh wait...
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    I can only imagine what would happen if they decided to play an even-lesser known album like Binaural in full. Oh wait...
    And I ve read a few reviews that said outside the 10c area it wasn’t received with much energy. I would have been extremely bored with binaural. 
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    And I ve read a few reviews that said outside the 10c area it wasn’t received with much energy. I would have been extremely bored with binaural. 
    Hopefully they weren't all mine (I've mentioned the lack of energy at that Toronto 2016 show before). 
    For what it's worth, I really enjoy Binaural. It's a solid album and easily my favourite post-1990's PJ release. It's got many great tunes. I just don't think it works all that well in a live setting, in it's entirety, more than a decade-and-a half-after its initial release. 
    edited June 2019
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    Hopefully they weren't all mine (I've mentioned the lack of energy at that Toronto 2016 show before). 
    For what it's worth, I really enjoy Binaural. It's a solid album and easily my favourite post-1990's PJ release. It's got many great tunes. I just don't think it works all that well in a live setting, in it's entirety, more than a decade-and-a half-after its initial release. 
    And my god that Toronto 1, 2011 crowd was off the charts!!!! Still a top five show for me that will be hard to top. 
    And I agree with you that binaural just does not translate well live.