Options

Moline 2014 - No Code Full Show

2»

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    edited June 2019
    Yeah, some songs just don't work "live" and vice versa. 

Riot Act would ofc be the best album to play live. But our prayers haven't reached Pearl Jam yet. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 901
    VS is the obvious winner for full albums to be played live. No Code is far and away my favorite album so Moline is a special show in that regard, not to mention the song “moline”. You can tell Ed was just feeling it that night.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tino_11 said:
    Detroit is a great bootleg (the best of the US leg of 2014) but I imagine nothing could match the feeling of being there when No Code was played in full. Especially when this was before any of the recent run of full album shows. 
    A die hard fun would love it but I imagine the vast majority of the crowd was bored as hell. 
    I can only imagine what would happen if they decided to play an even-lesser known album like Binaural in full. Oh wait...
    And I ve read a few reviews that said outside the 10c area it wasn’t received with much energy. I would have been extremely bored with binaural. 
    Hopefully they weren't all mine (I've mentioned the lack of energy at that Toronto 2016 show before). 
    For what it's worth, I really enjoy Binaural. It's a solid album and easily my favourite post-1990's PJ release. It's got many great tunes. I just don't think it works all that well in a live setting, in it's entirety, more than a decade-and-a half-after its initial release. 
    And my god that Toronto 1, 2011 crowd was off the charts!!!! Still a top five show for me that will be hard to top. 
    And I agree with you that binaural just does not translate well live. 

A few songs? Yes. The whole album in a crowd of almost 20,000? Not so much.
    (Again, I really like the album.)
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,353
    Sorry about derailing the thread. I will say this: I much prefer No Code live than I do the studio version. (Mike, I have a feeling this is one of the few times we might disagree????) The big one for me is "Present Tense." For years, I'd listen to the studio version and thought it was a bit "meh." However, once I started listening to bootlegs a little under a decade ago, it came alive for me. It's an all-time great in concert and the performance at Moline is no exception. Although it can be cool seeing the crowd sing a good chunk of the song, EV keeps the mic throughout this performance and doesn't disappoint.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    rummy said:
    Sorry about derailing the thread. I will say this: I much prefer No Code live than I do the studio version. (Mike, I have a feeling this is one of the few times we might disagree????) The big one for me is "Present Tense." For years, I'd listen to the studio version and thought it was a bit "meh." However, once I started listening to bootlegs a little under a decade ago, it came alive for me. It's an all-time great in concert and the performance at Moline is no exception. Although it can be cool seeing the crowd sing a good chunk of the song, EV keeps the mic throughout this performance and doesn't disappoint.
    OH no I much prefer no code live like yourself!  Present tense and red mosquito are to me the two best live songs off that album (both should definitely be played more.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    OH no I much prefer no code live like yourself!  Present tense and red mosquito are to me the two best live songs off that album (both should definitely be played more.)
    Jeffs bass in Hail Hail though...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    mcgruff10 said:
    rummy said:
    Jeffs bass in Hail Hail though...
    Yeah it is awesome for sure.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......