Options

Where does PJ go with the next record?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,400
    I think they just need to be locked in a small room together with nothing but their instruments.   A lot of the good stuff came from jamming, collaborating on the spot.   I am all for them working on things, and bringing them into the studio as well, but I hope they are also just jamming and trying to find stuff that sounds good.  I think they work best when playing off each other.  Earlier on, it was harder to tell when a song was by a certain member.  Nowadays, its pretty easy to say "This is an ed song, this is a stone song", etc. 
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Probably more likely that the new album is a greatest hits lp LOL
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I think they just need to be locked in a small room together with nothing but their instruments.   A lot of the good stuff came from jamming, collaborating on the spot.   I am all for them working on things, and bringing them into the studio as well, but I hope they are also just jamming and trying to find stuff that sounds good.  I think they work best when playing off each other.  Earlier on, it was harder to tell when a song was by a certain member.  Nowadays, its pretty easy to say "This is an ed song, this is a stone song", etc. 
    This is a great idea!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    VINNY GOOMBAVINNY GOOMBA Posts: 1,785
    edited December 2018
    I will truly be happy with whatever we get out of a new PJ album-- if not instantly, then eventually.  I wasn't a huge fan of Backspacer when it came out, and even less so of Lightning Bolt, but recent listens have me appreciating those albums more than my first few listens.
    If I could co-produce the 11th album with them, and speaking strictly in terms of their past work I would push for 
    LESS:
    1) Poppy production, effects, instrumentation and inserts in their songs that don't really seem to fit the song or the band's style traditionally speaking.  For instance those 3 or 4 seconds after the lyrics in "The Fixer"-- "When there's no love, I wanna try to love again"-- I don't know if that's a guitar or piano arpeggio with too much delay / reverb, but I don't understand its place, and just don't enjoy the sound of it.  I don't know any other way to put it other than it's too "soft" for them.  Another example-- Future Days, especially the intro and ending of that one.  I dig it when they're mellow, but would never consider PJ a soft band by any means, and they should not go in that direction.  
    2) Rhyming lyrics.  I think a lot of Eddie's best lyrics do not rhyme at all, or rhyme less, and there's more poetry in a lot of those than a lot of the lyrics that rhyme.  Although the lyrics can tie together thematically and rhyme simultaneously, they aren't always necessarily the best phrasing or word choices because they are rhyming.
    3)  Greater control of Eddie's voice when he's screaming.  I love a great Eddie scream, I truly do-- but there are times where it's just too wild / screechy / out of tune.  For instance I would try and limit the way he sounds on lines like "And in the MOooOOORnin' Light" from "Can't Deny Me"-- also from the same song, an example of 2) and 3) together, the line from the same song, "Where's your vocabulary?"  I understand the point, the intent, but it sounds like a forced rhyme and just doesn't need to be sung  / yelled the way it is.  I really like Bu$hleaguer-- it's even more political, pointed, and well executed, and without the need to do something really extreme vocally-- just the opposite.  
    4)  Songs that are more or less Ed solo-- although I really love Soon Forget, in most other cases I really love hearing more musical input from more members of the band
    5)  Punkier songs-- I would prefer more riff rockin, slow it down, get into some grooves if the guys want to go with a harder edge on a few tracks.

and MORE:
    1)  Jams!  guitar solos, bass-heavy breakdowns, improvising, and instrumental space-- don't be afraid to take some really drastic turns in the composition either
    2)  Collaborative effort-- someone above me said let them do a few songs on the spot in a room together, with less pre-conceived ideas.  Just let it flow, and the magic will happen-- especially with the chemistry they have after 28 years as a band
    3)  Dark and moody.  I truly believe their best songs on the more recent albums fit this vibe more than their uptempo rockers
    4)  Filfthy bridges and breakdowns-- I am not a fan of "Supersonic" as a whole, but that bridge / breakdown is just DIRTY and I love it.
    5)  Longer songs-- most of my favorite PJ songs are over 4.5 minutes.  They are great composers and I really love the interplay between different parts of their songs, and of course, more instrumental!

In terms of stuff they've never done before-- 
    1)  I think it be cool to hear them do something with a serious brass section for one song, or even orchestral-- really change it up for a track or 2.
    2)  How about some really cool guests on this one?  Ben Haper?  Neil Young?  Would love to hear a collaboration with Warren Haynes on a song.

These guys are my favorite band, and I'm really excited for whatever they put out our way.  Can't wait!

Post edited by VINNY GOOMBA on
  • Options
    ^ This. 100% This. ^
    My Music, 'Crowd of Oaks' - Spotify | Bandcamp

Manchester 2000 :: Cardiff 2000 :: Prague 2006 :: London 2007 :: Manchester 2009 :: London 2009 :: Manchester I 2012 :: Manchester II 2012 :: Milton Keynes 2014 :: London I 2018 :: London II 2018

*BRAD* Birmingham 2013 :: London 2013
  • Options
    Songs with some thought and musically interesting like  'Cold Confession' and 'Let it Ride.'  Why they release songs like Johnny Guitar, Let the Records Play, Future Days, and Sleeping by Myself instead is beyond me.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,086
    No guest please. They ain’t a hip hop band 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    only 1 guitar per song.  no ed guitar.  stone and mike take turns figuring out what to do when they are not playing guitar.  will clean up the sound a lot.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,674
    I'm thinking the next one should be all polka covers and call it "Accordion Songs".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    brianlux said:
    I'm thinking the next one should be all polka covers and call it "Accordion Songs".
    This is feasible.  Weird Al would probably jump at the opportunity to produce it.  And of course, Ed is a master accordion player.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,112
    brianlux said:
    How many bands that have been around for almost 30 years and that have gotten very famous and very wealthy have put out killer albums after 25 years?  Even the iconic long-lived Rolling Stones only went 7 years between The Rolling Stone Now! and Exile on Main Street before coasting (at least in the studio).  I can only think of one, Neil Young and Crazy Horse (27 years between Everybody Knows and Broken Arrow).  Is Pearl Jam up to it?  Depends on how hungry they are, I'm guessing.  Otherwise, don't expect a lot.

Bingo.

There is a desire they had to succeed at the craft they loved when they were in their 20s that is impossible to duplicate, given their enormous early success. It's obvious (to me) they have other priorities now.

Other acts I follow with far less success, still tour regularly and put out quality albums in their 50s. FWIW, I like PJs later albums, but clearly the fire is in the earlier material.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    This is a great idea!
    Judging by comments Jeff made earlier this year, you won't be disappointed.  For at least some time during 2017, 2 to 5 of the guys would get together each day to write music.  
    Exciting stuff!