"The calm before the storm."

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I find it amaxing how much people say it costs them! I did 8 shows this summer, biggest expense were tickets which i mistly buddied up on, granted, but i managed a week in Seattle for £600(flight and accommodation), a week in Europe for far far less and then a couple of overnighters, one in the airport, another on the sidewalk. Done! It really can be done on the cheap. And yes, i have kids and an averagely paid job....
    I could only imagine my wife's reaction when I tell her in order to cut costs we are going to sleep in the airport and on the sidewalk lol.   
    Right?! Honestly, I'm too old for that shit, or I have just become too much of a princess, or whatever, lol. I'd rather stay home than go on a trip that entails that kind of thing. :lol: Nope, Pearl Jam ain't worth sleeping in airports and on sidewalks. I guess I'm just not THAT big of a fan, lol.
    Me either!  If I m going away I am going to stay  in a nice hotel.  No way am I sleeping on the sidewalk! Lol
    Yup, exactly. I've actually cut out motels as well, lol. Comfortable hotel or nothing for this diva. :lol:
    You d get along great with my wife!  We don’t get away a lot these days so when we do the hotel has to be nice. but yeah, no motels or hostels in my future.  Been there done that. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    My wife and I sleep at an airport(not at the airport but on the flight home) to save time away from our kids. We do not have that many shows watched compared to some of you guys since our first show was in 2013. Really regret waiting that long and especially now with 3 kids it is very hard to juggle everything.

If I saw the band over 50 times and most of their catalogue live I probably would not see them that much too if ticket prices continue to climb. For me now though the price of the ticket is not that expensive when you factor everything in. I spent over 2000$ easily on my solo trip to Europe this summer. If they raised ticket prices to 150$  that would in noway change my plans as it really is just a small part of the adventure financially. I hope they can keep the ticket prices down of course but after seeing what other bands do especially for the closest seats in the house I really do appreciate what this band does for its fans. 
  • If prices get to a certain threshold, I think the people who are forced to buy a pair will stop buying. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    I find it amaxing how much people say it costs them! I did 8 shows this summer, biggest expense were tickets which i mistly buddied up on, granted, but i managed a week in Seattle for £600(flight and accommodation), a week in Europe for far far less and then a couple of overnighters, one in the airport, another on the sidewalk. Done! It really can be done on the cheap. And yes, i have kids and an averagely paid job....
    Don't forget, if you gorge on Ramen noodles before your trip, you can really go like 3 or 4 days without eating and cut down some costs too.

Now the average person. I did 3 nights in Chicago, split an AirBNB with a friend and ran me about $600 total for tickets to both shows, flight and room. For the 4 days if I include food,  Uber and merch and everything else I spent a little over a thousand. Now I could have eaten cheaper, but why go to a place like Chicago just for the shows and not experience the city? I thought that was pretty cheap, but that was also a one-time thing. My wife wasn't too excited about me leaving her with a 2 and 4 year old and not being able to go with me. And I missed her not being there. If we were to do that together the cost would be doubled (assuming we get family to watch the kids for free). I don't think we could afford that trip together even if ticket prices stay the same, and I wouldn't even think about it if they went up.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    For me the hotel cost in Seattle was way more expensive than the tickets :)  It's night and day how much Seattle hotels cost in the Summer vs. Winter.   The biggest thing PJ could do for me is play North America in the winter :)
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Zod said:
    For me the hotel cost in Seattle was way more expensive than the tickets :)  It's night and day how much Seattle hotels cost in the Summer vs. Winter.   The biggest thing PJ could do for me is play North America in the winter :)
    Yeah. Those Seattle hotel prices were pretty ridiculous- and I booked mine in Feb! Definitely hurt the wallet having to stay an extra night with no show on the Wednesday.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I am thankful I don't have to book Boston hotels to see Boston shows.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • bbisonbbison Posts: 215
    mace1229 said:
    I am a little surprised the music industry hasn't collapsed or something. PJ is the only band I'd ever pay $100 to see. My wife wants to see terrible shows like Pink and I look at tickets prices and gag. How does Pink fill up an arena at $200 a ticket?
    I still catch some of my old favorites like Better Than Ezra and Weezer because they are still in the $40 range (about $65 after fees though).
    I've not experienced seeing Pink, but friends who have (and were dragged by wives/girlfriends) say she's terrific live. 
    Is this where the show list goes?

11-26-91 / 8-2-92 / 3-15-94 / 7-9-95 / 7-11-95 / 8-29-98 / 9-1-00 / 10-25-03 
    10-23-04 / 10-22-06 / 10-9-09 / 10-23-10 / 10-3-12 / 7-9-13 / 10-21-13
    11-24-13 / 11-26-13 / 10-17-14 / 10-20-14 / 10-25-14 / 4-8-16 / 4-9-16
     4-28-16 / 4-29-16 / 8-20-16 / 8-22-16 / 8-10-18 / 8-18-18 / 8-20-18
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    mace1229 said:
    lolobugg said:
    lolobugg said:
    MayDay10 said:
    Same faces seem to be at the front regardless of GA.

right on. time to go back to seniority seating. :lol: I can only hope.

I'm on board with my high # as long as they charge fair prices.

Throw down tiers at $300 $200 and $100 into the draw then winners go in by club number. Even throw in a $400 tier and let's see who really wants to get closer.

Charging FOH and nose bleeds roughly the same is unamerican /s

no way, man. let's keep ticket prices "reasonable".

you can throw down your $400 on a flux capacitor and go back to 91 and join the fanclub.

If I had that I'd buy apple Microsoft Google and some porcupine tree albums. Selling everything at same price is asking somebody else to subsidize you. I'd never trust their reserve seat policy again after that Fenway debacle. 

10c was a poor deal for 15+ years and to this day selling a product without disclosure would not what I want part of my legacy to be. Love the band hate their business ideas.
    Nobody is subsidizing anything. That may be the case if they charged $300 a ticket. But compared to other artists who sell out places like this, they are basically charging "cheap seat" prices for every seat in the house.
    I would agree the obstructed views that were not disclosed was bad. Those should have been disclosed and discounted, but that is probably not the fault of 10c, I'm guessing they had no idea which seats were obstructed or not, and probably rely on information from TM or the venue to disclose that. I guess its possible it was disclosed and they threw them in with the rest of the lotto. But that's the only valid complaint I see, everything else is just whining.  Everyone knows of you have a high # you get crappy seats. SO take your chances with TM if it bothers you then.

Obviously I'm here mostly for the GA lottery rules change from a few years ago...are they on TM?

$125 for full obstructed view is not a cheap seat. $125 for upper deck nosebleeds is not a cheap seat. I am only asking for prices to be at fair market value. Charging the same for those categories and FOH is absurd.

Also, you must know the good or average seats for the last arena tour were not on TM. At least in my town.

Oh and forgot to mention, I had 4th row field box in my cart for Fenway , and mlb.com would not allow me to complete the transaction 

Funny, I go to concerts and games all the time, but only obnoxious ticket buying issues I ever have involve this band.
    bbison said:
    mace1229 said:
    I am a little surprised the music industry hasn't collapsed or something. PJ is the only band I'd ever pay $100 to see. My wife wants to see terrible shows like Pink and I look at tickets prices and gag. How does Pink fill up an arena at $200 a ticket?
    I still catch some of my old favorites like Better Than Ezra and Weezer because they are still in the $40 range (about $65 after fees though).
    I've not experienced seeing Pink, but friends who have (and were dragged by wives/girlfriends) say she's terrific live. 
    I would totally go with my wife, if it wasn't $200 each. I actually enjoy a couple of her songs. I know her show would just be a big script, but I would be entertained. Not $400/couple entertained though. That's what I don;t get, who pays that?
    Nick Freaking Mason with essentially a cover band playing pre Dark Side Floyd banging out FOH tix for $250 - $400 a pop and nosebleeds for $80. 

Good for him. That's the way it should be done.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Why do people pay high prices?  Because the shows are generally fun and usually someone you care about wants the experience.  I am embarrassed to tell what I paid to take my 13 year old son to see Paul McCartney at MSG.  Worth every penny and then some. He wants to go see Post Malone and tix are running about $300 for decent seat. I will probably breakdown and do it even though I know it will be a 90 minute set with bad sound.  Cant wait until my daughter wants to go to Jingle Ball. It is what it is. I have a harder time paying to see professional sports than musical acts. I guess since I am near NYC I am used to paying high prices for just about everything!
  • Many will have regret when the band no longer plays and then remember they could have seen them more but passed because the ticket was 25-35 bucks more
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Many will have regret when the band no longer plays and then remember they could have seen them more but passed because the ticket was 25-35 bucks more
    Perhaps, but I wont be one of them. I would only pay premium for a club show. 
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
    Get_Right said:
    Why do people pay high prices?  Because the shows are generally fun and usually someone you care about wants the experience.  I am embarrassed to tell what I paid to take my 13 year old son to see Paul McCartney at MSG.  Worth every penny and then some. He wants to go see Post Malone and tix are running about $300 for decent seat. I will probably breakdown and do it even though I know it will be a 90 minute set with bad sound.  Cant wait until my daughter wants to go to Jingle Ball. It is what it is. I have a harder time paying to see professional sports than musical acts. I guess since I am near NYC I am used to paying high prices for just about everything!

I'm embarrassed to admit what we spent for a series of Macca tix in 2016 and 17. But it was worth it. Wanted to make sure I got to see him a couple more times if he needed to retire. There is only one Macca. And he's a long island resident to boot.

Shows are expensive because traveling with a 50-60 person crew, related equipment costs, trucking, venue fees including backline expenses are not cheap. And the talent needs a cut or two.

If PJ can do all that for $125 a seat, great for them. It would be the best bargain in rock, if the price correlation between FOH and nosebleeds/obstructed view tickets made any sense at all in the free market.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJNB said:
    My wife and I sleep at an airport(not at the airport but on the flight home) to save time away from our kids. We do not have that many shows watched compared to some of you guys since our first show was in 2013. Really regret waiting that long and especially now with 3 kids it is very hard to juggle everything.

If I saw the band over 50 times and most of their catalogue live I probably would not see them that much too if ticket prices continue to climb. For me now though the price of the ticket is not that expensive when you factor everything in. I spent over 2000$ easily on my solo trip to Europe this summer. If they raised ticket prices to 150$  that would in noway change my plans as it really is just a small part of the adventure financially. I hope they can keep the ticket prices down of course but after seeing what other bands do especially for the closest seats in the house I really do appreciate what this band does for its fans. 
    Exactly. That's why I can't tolerate them changing to what the other bands do. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mace1229 said:
    Don't forget, if you gorge on Ramen noodles before your trip, you can really go like 3 or 4 days without eating and cut down some costs too.

Now the average person. I did 3 nights in Chicago, split an AirBNB with a friend and ran me about $600 total for tickets to both shows, flight and room. For the 4 days if I include food,  Uber and merch and everything else I spent a little over a thousand. Now I could have eaten cheaper, but why go to a place like Chicago just for the shows and not experience the city? I thought that was pretty cheap, but that was also a one-time thing. My wife wasn't too excited about me leaving her with a 2 and 4 year old and not being able to go with me. And I missed her not being there. If we were to do that together the cost would be doubled (assuming we get family to watch the kids for free). I don't think we could afford that trip together even if ticket prices stay the same, and I wouldn't even think about it if they went up.
    It's tough to be from Canada. Our flights cost a fortune. I paid way more just for my flight to Chicago than you did for tickets, flight, and accommodation combined, lol!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Get_Right said:
    If fewer people thought like this, tickets would be a fair price. Consumers are the ones who ultimately control pricing. I just can't figure out why so many of them seem willing to pay any crazy amount. They give away all our power as consumers.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

It's tough to be from Canada. Our flights cost a fortune. I paid way more just for my flight to Chicago than you did for tickets, flight, and accommodation combined, lol!
    I flew out of my small airport to Chicago for 486$ CAD in 2016 and 2018. Is Vancouver expensive to fly out of? 
    edited December 2018
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

I flew out of my small airport to Chicago for 486$ CAD in 2016 and 2018. Is Vancouver expensive to fly out of? 
    Yes, the costs of flights out of Vancouver are generally insane (my flight to Chicago was maybe $775 in 2013). Of course here and there you hear about these great deals to this place or that place ... But I've never been lucky enough to find one when I needed it. And they're always for the off-season anyhow. Like if I want to visit Chicago in the dead of winter, maybe it would be a more reasonably priced trip, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    If fewer people thought like this, tickets would be a fair price. Consumers are the ones who ultimately control pricing. I just can't figure out why so many of them seem willing to pay any crazy amount. They give away all our power as consumers.
    Supply and demand. That is really what it comes down to.
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,759
    I like music. 
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PJ_Soul said:
    Get_Right said:
    Because they want to see the artist. So they're fucked.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Fans complaining about expensive concert tickets but for a PJ trip will drop $125 on show tickets, $800 on airfare and $250 a day on hotels. One of those costs is way out of line with the other 2.

PJ charging $125 for FOH prime tickets for one of the most in demand bands is one of the great American stories, but charging the same price for no notice obstructed view and nosebleeds is not reasonable.

• rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    Fans complaining about expensive concert tickets but for a PJ trip will drop $125 on show tickets, $800 on airfare and $250 a day on hotels. One of those costs is way out of line with the other 2.

PJ charging $125 for FOH prime tickets for one of the most in demand bands is one of the great American stories, but charging the same price for no notice obstructed view and nosebleeds is not reasonable.

The $250/night is out of line...or at least inaccurate. Any decent Seattle hotel was double that last Aug 8-10! 

Brutal (prices).
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NY Posts: 541

horse mammal vertebrate horse like mammal pack animal mustang horse
    edited December 2018

I paid no where near that for Chicago. But then again, I planned ahead, bought my ticket and booked my room way in advance.  I booked an AirBNB within 48 hours of the announcement before the tickets were even on sale - just made sure to book one with free cancelation and a good history without any cancelations on their end. I saw several where half the reviews were bad because the renter got canceled on at the last minute, so I stayed away from those. I booked my flight within a few days of "winning" the lotto. The AirBNB was about $400 for 3 nights for a pretty nice place that was big and that I split with someone, and the flight was I think around $250. Now those who waited paid a lot more, I checked a few days after tickets went on sale and there was nothing on AirBNB or anywhere else for less than a few hundred a night, and flights went way up the longer I waited. But the pair of tickets for both shows was about tied with airfare for being the biggest expense.
    Those who paid $1000 for hotels either waited to book or got some fancy 5-star place. Same with airfare, those who paid $800 probably waited and missed out on the cheaper routes. 
    Seattle may be a different story, never been there. Since I did Wrigley before I really wanted to go to Fenway this time but it being on a holiday weekend all the prices for everything were way inflated, so that was why I went back to Wrigley. I would have paid double for everything going to Boston just because it was on the holiday weekend.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    ^ Was trying to approximate average travel/hotel costs.

As far as hurting that poor horse, there's at least one fan frustrated at the only show with an impenetrable defence for quality access, unless I choose to stand for 4+ hours, which I gladly will. The way my heel has been lately, ugh.

So I'll change it up for a moment by mentioning how tremendous In Hiding and Faithfull are live.
    impenetrable defence for quality access
    = pole in the way?