"The calm before the storm."

14567810»

Comments

• CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    mace1229 said:
    Fans complaining about expensive concert tickets but for a PJ trip will drop $125 on show tickets, $800 on airfare and $250 a day on hotels. One of those costs is way out of line with the other 2.

PJ charging $125 for FOH prime tickets for one of the most in demand bands is one of the great American stories, but charging the same price for no notice obstructed view and nosebleeds is not reasonable.

I paid no where near that for Chicago. But then again, I planned ahead, bought my ticket and booked my room way in advance.  I booked an AirBNB within 48 hours of the announcement before the tickets were even on sale - just made sure to book one with free cancelation and a good history without any cancelations on their end. I saw several where half the reviews were bad because the renter got canceled on at the last minute, so I stayed away from those. I booked my flight within a few days of "winning" the lotto. The AirBNB was about $400 for 3 nights for a pretty nice place that was big and that I split with someone, and the flight was I think around $250. Now those who waited paid a lot more, I checked a few days after tickets went on sale and there was nothing on AirBNB or anywhere else for less than a few hundred a night, and flights went way up the longer I waited. But the pair of tickets for both shows was about tied with airfare for being the biggest expense.
    Those who paid $1000 for hotels either waited to book or got some fancy 5-star place. Same with airfare, those who paid $800 probably waited and missed out on the cheaper routes. 
    Seattle may be a different story, never been there. Since I did Wrigley before I really wanted to go to Fenway this time but it being on a holiday weekend all the prices for everything were way inflated, so that was why I went back to Wrigley. I would have paid double for everything going to Boston just because it was on the holiday weekend.

The last 2 tours, as soon as reliable rumors started hitting the board, I booked refundable rooms in the cities I wanted to go to. Did the same for TOTD. A lot of others did too and were mocked on the board for putting the cart before the horse. My Seattle room was well over double the rate I booked months before the show and eventually sold out.  It’s a smart move that takes seconds to do, but hey, some people would rather laugh now and pay through the nose later.

I am lucky enough to travel for work so I save hotel and airline points to see Pearl Jam. I also ask for Southwest and Hilton gift cards for Christmas and birthdays. The experiences I have had are worth way more than material goods. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,330
    Can we all agree that this was, in fact,  not the actual calm before the storm?

Just the calm before the Philly 2009 storm?
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    Vedd Hedd said:

If so, it's a nasty thing to do to fans (without a specific spectrum reference), knowing how beloved they are, and they are essentially a semi retired band. Considering vast regions of fandom haven't been visited in nearly a decade or more.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    Vedd Hedd said:

If so, it's a nasty thing to do to fans (without a specific spectrum reference), knowing how beloved they are, and they are essentially a semi retired band. Considering vast regions of fandom haven't been visited in nearly a decade or more.
    Sounds like you wont be happy until they play a small room down the street from you and they mail you great seats.
  • chilisuarezchilisuarez USA / Canada Posts: 110
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJNB said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I find it amaxing how much people say it costs them! I did 8 shows this summer, biggest expense were tickets which i mistly buddied up on, granted, but i managed a week in Seattle for £600(flight and accommodation), a week in Europe for far far less and then a couple of overnighters, one in the airport, another on the sidewalk. Done! It really can be done on the cheap. And yes, i have kids and an averagely paid job....
    Don't forget, if you gorge on Ramen noodles before your trip, you can really go like 3 or 4 days without eating and cut down some costs too.

Now the average person. I did 3 nights in Chicago, split an AirBNB with a friend and ran me about $600 total for tickets to both shows, flight and room. For the 4 days if I include food,  Uber and merch and everything else I spent a little over a thousand. Now I could have eaten cheaper, but why go to a place like Chicago just for the shows and not experience the city? I thought that was pretty cheap, but that was also a one-time thing. My wife wasn't too excited about me leaving her with a 2 and 4 year old and not being able to go with me. And I missed her not being there. If we were to do that together the cost would be doubled (assuming we get family to watch the kids for free). I don't think we could afford that trip together even if ticket prices stay the same, and I wouldn't even think about it if they went up.
    It's tough to be from Canada. Our flights cost a fortune. I paid way more just for my flight to Chicago than you did for tickets, flight, and accommodation combined, lol!
    I flew out of my small airport to Chicago for 486$ CAD in 2016 and 2018. Is Vancouver expensive to fly out of? 
    Yes, the costs of flights out of Vancouver are generally insane (my flight to Chicago was maybe $775 in 2013). Of course here and there you hear about these great deals to this place or that place ... But I've never been lucky enough to find one when I needed it. And they're always for the off-season anyhow. Like if I want to visit Chicago in the dead of winter, maybe it would be a more reasonably priced trip, lol.
    I live in Vancouver and I agree completely, flight prices can be crazy, I was looking at $600-$700 return to Chicago. 

I took a bus to Seattle at 9am (and then had to wait at the border for 4 hours argh!), went to the Mopop exhibition and flew with Spirit for $100 CAD at midnight and got to Chicago at 6am. Flew back with Alaska Air to Vancouver via Seattle with a 4 hour layover (and then further delay) for $250 CAD and that flight was departing Chicago at 6am.

I managed to do it cheaper that way but I can tell you it was not nice travelling at all, with the border wait, crazy flight times and layovers but to save some money it was probably worth it.

The crazy thing is, I'm from Europe and often go home, and often I can Fly return to Europe cheaper than a return to Toronto or Montreal etc.
  • “The calm before the storm”

also anagrammed to

”comes from that there belt”

”Boom Charms The Felt Tree”

”Mr Boom’s Half Erect Teeth”

Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Jerome230 said:
    “The calm before the storm”

also anagrammed to

Oh wow.

Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,842
    Jerome230 said:
    “The calm before the storm”

also anagrammed to

Could ‘Mr Boom’s Half Erect Teeth’ be the name of the new album!?!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14