That is why we are here
    To live
    Death will come sooner or later
    I’m hoping for later
    Much later 
    Live long and prosper, Annafalk.  :smile:
    :) Thanks, you too Brianlux !
    :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Not so much a question, but a bit of my funny (aka weird) logic...
    So last weekend, I needed some serious retail therapy. So I did what I always do...headed to Goodwill. I can already feel some of you cringing but I have a problem that I can’t buy anything full-priced for myself ever. EVER. I have 4 kids and they and their father always come first. And none of them lil bastards know how to use a napkin! Or not rip a hole in everything. :angry:  But I’ll happily spend my last dime on loved ones. :hug:
    Aaaaanyways...what the hell was I trying to say? 
    Oh yeah! Ok, so I’m at Goodwill and I find jeans that actually fit me, which never happens. This means someone already hemmed them to my 29” inseam. (Yes, I’m short. If you wanna see me at Wrigley...look down. :lol:). They fit, they’re in good condition, and then I find something in the pocket...a one month sobriety chip (coin?). So I think to myself, “Wow. The last girl to wear these pants had so much fun, she had to join AA. I have got to have these!”  :lol:
    Sorry about the last minute of your life that you wasted reading this. No, you can’t have it back. :tongue:
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Not so much a question, but a bit of my funny (aka weird) logic...
    So last weekend, I needed some serious retail therapy. So I did what I always do...headed to Goodwill. I can already feel some of you cringing but I have a problem that I can’t buy anything full-priced for myself ever. EVER. I have 4 kids and they and their father always come first. And none of them lil bastards know how to use a napkin! Or not rip a hole in everything. :angry:  But I’ll happily spend my last dime on loved ones. :hug:
    Aaaaanyways...what the hell was I trying to say? 
    Oh yeah! Ok, so I’m at Goodwill and I find jeans that actually fit me, which never happens. This means someone already hemmed them to my 29” inseam. (Yes, I’m short. If you wanna see me at Wrigley...look down. :lol:). They fit, they’re in good condition, and then I find something in the pocket...a one month sobriety chip (coin?). So I think to myself, “Wow. The last girl to wear these pants had so much fun, she had to join AA. I have got to have these!”  :lol:
    Sorry about the last minute of your life that you wasted reading this. No, you can’t have it back. :tongue:
    Not a wasted minute!  Cool story!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    That is a "cool as shit!" story RogueStoner. 

Burning the midnight oil: How in the fuck did I not know that Jim Carrey is a painter?

Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    evsgjamm said:
    That is a "cool as shit!" story RogueStoner. 

Burning the midnight oil: How in the fuck did I not know that Jim Carrey is a painter?

Watch the episode of Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee with Carrey for more on this
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Whatever happened to Dennis Franz?
    ELITIST FUK
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    SD48277 said:
    Whatever happened to Dennis Franz?
    Remember when showing his butt on NYPD Blue was such a brouhaha?
    edited March 2018
    This evening, I'm in my room playing a few records.  I'm floating a little, the music is floating.  I'm feeling good.  But then I notice the two little decorative throw carpets lying on the wall-to-wall carpeting have moved again. 

"Honey," I call to my wife, "My little carpets have moved again."

"They move on their own," she replies.

"Move?  On their own?  How can they do that?  I didn't move them."

"They walk," she says.

Failing to sound sarcastic, my words come out like I'm being straight,  "You mean, like they just move with the vibration of the planet?"

"That's right," she says, matter of fact like.   "The planet rotates and they walk."

So the question is, was she being straight with me?  Do carpets walk?

• What’s a potato wave?
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    This evening, I'm in my room playing a few records.  I'm floating a little, the music is floating.  I'm feeling good.  But then I notice the two little decorative throw carpets lying on the wall-to-wall carpeting have moved again. 

"Honey," I call to my wife, "My little carpets have moved again."

"They move on their own," she replies.

"Move?  On their own?  How can they do that?  I didn't move them."

"They walk," she says.

Failing to sound sarcastic, my words come out like I'm being straight,  "You mean, like they just move with the vibration of the planet?"

"That's right," she says, matter of fact like.   "The planet rotates and they walk."

So the question is, was she being straight with me?  Do carpets walk?

Actual footage from this evening...

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    brianlux said:
    Some heavy night thoughts there, Conor.  I've done the same at time but try to remind myself to make the most each day I'm here.  Wishing you well.
    Thank you Brian. I've gotten through some tough times lately, involving the death of a family member. Thankfully I feel I'm coming round again.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    brianlux said:
    Some heavy night thoughts there, Conor.  I've done the same at time but try to remind myself to make the most each day I'm here.  Wishing you well.
    Thank you Brian. I've gotten through some tough times lately, involving the death of a family member. Thankfully I feel I'm coming round again.
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, Connor.  Good thoughts for you for better days ahead.

Likewise Brian. Things are good at the moment, one day at a time. The thing for me is to always maintain some form of routine and a structure.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Likewise Brian. Things are good at the moment, one day at a time. The thing for me is to always maintain some form of routine and a structure.
    That's good thinking- I try to do the same.  It helps when things get a bit whirly.

Then looking back it's always easy to see where the cracks began to show. "Hey, I haven't been out for a walk in the morning in about 6 weeks....."
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Then looking back it's always easy to see where the cracks began to show. "Hey, I haven't been out for a walk in the morning in about 6 weeks....."
    Oh, for sure.  And thanks for the reminder.  I need to get out and walk more!

I try to do it every day. However, not necessarily for my physical fitness, it's more for my mental health. The other benefits are just little bonuses!
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    I try to do it every day. However, not necessarily for my physical fitness, it's more for my mental health. The other benefits are just little bonuses!
    Yes!  :plus_one:

• brianlux said:
    Well, OK, I know it's not the middle of the night, but this is one of those questions that simply cries out to be answered:

If you could place an empty sphere in the exact center of the earth, a sphere that contained normal air at room temperature, and in the exact center of  that sphere if you were to place a perfectly symmetrical, perfectly balanced, spherical marble, would that marble float due to the forces of equal gravity upon it or would it compress under the weight of that gravity until it simply exploded and if so, what would the effect of that explosion be on the planet itself?  Or what other possibilities did I miss?

These are the kinds of questions I need to know the answer to!
    I think it would float if the pressure were equal within the sphere as long as the sphere could bear the the weight of the outside forces. 
    brianlux said:
    Well, OK, I know it's not the middle of the night, but this is one of those questions that simply cries out to be answered:

If you could place an empty sphere in the exact center of the earth, a sphere that contained normal air at room temperature, and in the exact center of  that sphere if you were to place a perfectly symmetrical, perfectly balanced, spherical marble, would that marble float due to the forces of equal gravity upon it or would it compress under the weight of that gravity until it simply exploded and if so, what would the effect of that explosion be on the planet itself?  Or what other possibilities did I miss?

I think it would float if the pressure were equal within the sphere as long as the sphere could bear the the weight of the outside forces. 
    I'll buy that.  Good answer!

I might have asked this one already (hope not) but I've long wondered what would happen in this scenario (and it's something a character in a book I'm writing is going to do):  First off, assume you have a power source that could handle this load.  Now find a good sized gym, like one in a big high school somewhere.  Next, haul in several dozen Marshall stacks and line the wall with them, one right next to the other.  In front of each stack, alternating every other one, place a guitar stand in front of and facing the stack and place on the first one a Gibson Les Paul, on the next one a Fender Sratocaster, then a Paul, then a Strat, etc., until each amp stack has a guitar facing it.  Turn all guitar and amp knobs to 10 with the main power off.    Get back about 100 or 200 yards or so and throw the power switch to "on".

What do you suppose would happen?

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I might have asked this one already (hope not) but I've long wondered what would happen in this scenario (and it's something a character in a book I'm writing is going to do):  First off, assume you have a power source that could handle this load.  Now find a good sized gym, like one in a big high school somewhere.  Next, haul in several dozen Marshall stacks and line the wall with them, one right next to the other.  In front of each stack, alternating every other one, place a guitar stand in front of and facing the stack and place on the first one a Gibson Les Paul, on the next one a Fender Sratocaster, then a Paul, then a Strat, etc., until each amp stack has a guitar facing it.  Turn all guitar and amp knobs to 10 with the main power off.    Get back about 100 or 200 yards or so and throw the power switch to "on".

I think you smoke way to much weed. lol

How close are the guitars to the amps? they’re just lining the walls? Are they plugged in?
    edited December 2018
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

How close are the guitars to the amps? they’re just lining the walls? Are they plugged in?
    Now what give you the impression I smoke weed?  Don't answer that... :lol:

How close are the guitars?  Just a couple feet away- enough to induce maximum feedback.
    Yes, just lining the walls.
    Yes, all plugged in.  Throwing the main power switch turns on all amps and feedback commences almost right away and builds very quickly.

So now what do you suppose happens.

True, it's Sunday night, but it's only a quarter to one in the AM.  Where is everybody?  I don't get it.

• LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Now what give you the impression I smoke weed?  Don't answer that... :lol:

How close are the guitars?  Just a couple feet away- enough to induce maximum feedback.
    Yes, just lining the walls.
    Yes, all plugged in.  Throwing the main power switch turns on all amps and feedback commences almost right away and builds very quickly.

So now what do you suppose happens.
    my ears are ringing.
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    Gloria Vanderbilt passed away today. RIP
    Did anyone else put their hands on their ass?

I liked those jeans.
    Gloria Vanderbilt passed away today. RIP
    Did anyone else put their hands on their ass?

I liked those jeans.
     I didn't realize until reading some news items earlier that she was the mother of Anderson Cooper. 

Is the exact second it turns midnight part of the day the just ended, part of the day that just started, or some nebulous microsecond of time in which nothing is?

^^^ Wow!  Over a year I've been waiting for an answer to that question and all I get is silence!  I thought we had some sharp cookies around here! 

OK, then put that cookie down and answer this for me:

Few animals, in any, continue to grow their hair throughout their life.  Why is that?
    For example:  If I had never cut my hair in all these years, I would be tripping over it.  In fact, because my hair grows fairly quickly, the end of some of it would be down the hall and in the kitchen (where I just grabbed a cookie.)  What if Fido's hair kept growing.  "Here boy!"  Oh damn, the dog tripped on his hair again.  Or if a giraffe's hair kept growing.  It would starve because it wouldn't be able to hold its nick up to get to those leaves. 
    So why us?