Paris protest: ‘People are in the red. They can’t afford to eat’ Kim Willsher in Paris The Observer

2»

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2018
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    rainwater > well water
    I wouldn't know; I don't think I've ever drank well water in my whole life.
    I do know that soft water is good and hard water is fucking horrible.
    I am extremely happy with the current water system in my region ... They just need to built more reservoirs and probably another treatment plant to keep up with the growing population.
    Of course nothing is stopping anyone from collecting their own rain water if they want to, and they can just stop paying for water service. Go for it Smellyman, and let us know how it works out!
    Clean rainwater is great. Depending upon where you live, well water may need salt for softening. We've lived in 2 rural homes and neither needed a water softener. Our current home has water that is right on the cusp of needing softening. Every once and awhile I throw a few bags in the softener, but honestly I don't notice much difference. 

As a kid I lived on a farm and the yard water hydrants always had the freshest coolest water. That hard water straight out of the ground was the best. I get why some wouldn't like it if you're used to softened treated water, but nothing was more refreshing after working in the barn or field all day.

I also have a 250 gallon container for rainwater that we never use up in the summer even though it only covers gutters off half of the house. We water all of our plants, gardens and chickens with it until mid November when the weather shifts to sub zero too much to keep it from freezing. 
    I've drank rainwater and fresh glacier water. Both good. Just never well water.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited December 2018
    Smellyman said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Smellyman said:
    rainwater > well water
    I wouldn't know; I don't think I've ever drank well water in my whole life.
    I do know that soft water is good and hard water is fucking horrible.
    I am extremely happy with the current water system in my region ... They just need to built more reservoirs and probably another treatment plant to keep up with the growing population.
    Of course nothing is stopping anyone from collecting their own rain water if they want to, and they can just stop paying for water service. Go for it Smellyman, and let us know how it works out!
    There's tons of people that do it and it's just fine.  In BC you could have enough water after a couple of days rain.  No need to change/hurt the environment with reservoirs and pipe it for hundreds of miles. 

When I own my own place I will, but right now trying to talk my wife into buying a sailboat and living on board.  Will definitely do it then.  :)  Boats even have water makers converting salt water to drinking water.  This isn't rocket science and easily done by average shmoes. 

Not saying get rid of all municipal water, but there would be no water shortage on earth if peeps got smart with it.

Check out this dude in AZ if you have the time.

I never suggested I thought it was hard to do. I've spent plenty of time in the back country and have collected and filtered by own water lots of times. It's just totally unnecessary for me personally where I live. I also think that if everyone did it, like Often said, some people would get sick. And people would be put in danger if we're talking water shortage country - neighbors would start trying to steal water from neighbors and shit. It would also leave people open to easy deliberate contamination. I like being hooked up to the water system a lot. That is one convenience I'm absolutely unwilling to give up.
    People doing this where there is tons of water wouldn't have the world's water shortage issues anyhow IMO, unless you know someone willing to ship all the water from where it's a abundant and carry it all over to where it's scarce. For free.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    edited December 2018
    In New Mexico and AZ where there is 8 inches or less of rain per year people are collecting all their water needs for the year.

And I said to not get rid of municipal water, this is an add on.  Cleaning water isn't difficult.  Well water isn't cleaned.  Municipal water is filtered and chlorinated and sometime UV. 

Filter > bleach.  done

or don't clean it use it in toilets and showers etc.

In Hong Kong many of the toilets are seawater.  No need to waste potable water.

So many different ways to tackle this
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Many of France's landmark tourist attractions in Paris are closed because of the rioting...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Smellyman said:
    In New Mexico and AZ where there is 8 inches or less of rain per year people are collecting all their water needs for the year.

And I said to not get rid of municipal water, this is an add on.  Cleaning water isn't difficult.  Well water isn't cleaned.  Municipal water is filtered and chlorinated and sometime UV. 

Filter > bleach.  done

or don't clean it use it in toilets and showers etc.

In Hong Kong many of the toilets are seawater.  No need to waste potable water.

So many different ways to tackle this

Toilets are seawater? That's interesting. I agree that there's no need to waste potable water on what will be grey water anyway, though of course if you also need a line for potable water then most places have no wish to have two separate systems. However, sea water is more corrosive and far messier to work with, so I wonder how they get around those hassles (speaking as someone who had salt water fish tanks for many years). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Smellyman said:
    Every house on earth could collect and treat their won rainwater.  One of the strange things we don't do on our planet.
    It's illegal to do that where I live.  How's that for crazy.

California, ye haw!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:
    Every house on earth could collect and treat their won rainwater.  One of the strange things we don't do on our planet.

California, ye haw!
    Not just Cali, that is a lot of places.  Same with solar.

:s
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Smellyman said:
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

California, ye haw!
    Not just Cali, that is a lot of places.  Same with solar.

:s
    Seriously? Collecting rainwater and solar power are illegal?

That's ridiculous. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Many of France's landmark tourist attractions in Paris are closed because of the rioting...
    Good. Hit 'em where it hurts.