NCAA College Football -

Comments

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I’m not a Maryland fan but Urban’s still a douchebag. 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Wobbie said:
     indiana, maryland and chicago guys, bringing the hate. common denominator? perenianal weak sisters of the big 10.
    Huh???  The only college football allegiance I have is whoever I bet on that day.  I don't kid myself that college football is about anything other than $$ and full of dirtbags.  The hardcore college football fans that will defend their programs no matter what are the lowest of the low.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Wobbie said:
    HE’S GOT A FUCKING CYST ON HIS FUCKING BRAIN!!!!

his. brain.

urban didn’t retire because of some “my assistant was a bad actor” scandal. indiana, maryland and chicago guys, bringing the hate. common denominator? perenianal weak sisters of the big 10.
    First, the Indiana guy here is a Notre Dame guy....so the B1G thing means nothing to me. I believe the Chicago guys are also ND guys, but I may be wrong there. The Maryland guy is an FSU fan. Once again, nothing to do with the B1G.

My dislike of Meyer started when he left Utah and spurned ND for Florida. Obviously that worked out well for him. Obviously that is a great reason to dislike him in a sports sense.

But the history, man...the circumstances under which he abruptly "retired" from Florida. Then he walks into a great program that Tressel has set up for him and he picks up where he left off. Followed once again, by a scandal and another abrupt "retirement". Twice is officially a trend.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Wobbie said:

his. brain.

urban didn’t retire because of some “my assistant was a bad actor” scandal. indiana, maryland and chicago guys, bringing the hate. common denominator? perenianal weak sisters of the big 10.
    First, the Indiana guy here is a Notre Dame guy....so the B1G thing means nothing to me. I believe the Chicago guys are also ND guys, but I may be wrong there. The Maryland guy is an FSU fan. Once again, nothing to do with the B1G.

My dislike of Meyer started when he left Utah and spurned ND for Florida. Obviously that worked out well for him. Obviously that is a great reason to dislike him in a sports sense.

But the history, man...the circumstances under which he abruptly "retired" from Florida. Then he walks into a great program that Tressel has set up for him and he picks up where he left off. Followed once again, by a scandal and another abrupt "retirement". Twice is officially a trend.
    When ND & FSU fans agree...

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    THE CYST ONLY BOTHERS HIM WHEN THINGS ARE GOING BAD
  • Anybody feel bad for CFU?

They only played 1 top 25 team this year?  I say get a tougher schedule and we can have a better open conversation on why you aren't in the CFP.
    IHesCalledDyer said:
    Wobbie said:

his. brain.

When ND & FSU fans agree...

This is true. Urban Meyer is such a tool, he makes ND, FSU, PSU and USC (presumably) fans agree. That's fucked!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Anybody feel bad for CFU?

They only played 1 top 25 team this year?  I say get a tougher schedule and we can have a better open conversation on why you aren't in the CFP.
    I only feel bad in the sense that so many games are scheduled so far ahead of time. So when they have a good team and want to prove it, they can't. Now schools know they are at least pretty good so they will no longer schedule them as a pushover game. Very similar to what was happening to Boise State a few years back. Good teams were afraid to schedule them.

But, these scenarios further my desire to see an expanded playoff.
    edited December 2018

I only feel bad in the sense that so many games are scheduled so far ahead of time. So when they have a good team and want to prove it, they can't. Now schools know they are at least pretty good so they will no longer schedule them as a pushover game. Very similar to what was happening to Boise State a few years back. Good teams were afraid to schedule them.

Yeah, the whole "play somebody" argument is tiring.  Exactly right about Boise State.  They wanted to play teams, they offered several Power 5 schools the opportunities for home & home series but they all declined. Hell they even campaigned to join the Pac 10 at the time and were denied. Probably because they would've been immediate Pac 10 champs. Virginia Tech I believe was one of the first teams to accept them, and they only played one year in Blacksburg.  Let's face the reality of it, Power 5 schools are scared shitless to play good mid-major teams.  They hide behind the "play somebody" argument but "somebody" rarely if ever wants to step up.  And we've seen the results in bowl games.  Utah, Boise State, and TCU all consistently won major bowl games against Power 5 schools.  UCF did it last year.  These schools have proven time and time again that they belong in the discussion but the all mighty dollar keeps them out.  The NCAA is a joke.  They should be embracing these schools, instead they try to squash any success they have and then tell us all that they "need to play somebody."  We all loved it when Butler damn near beat Duke in the tournament 8 years ago.  Brad Stevens and Gordon Heyward had the entire country rooting for them.  But they were just a fluke, right? Nope, right back in the Championship game a year later.  Give the small schools a shot.  If they fall short, they fall short.  But let it be determined on the field, not by some biased selection committee in a boardroom who couldn't care less about anything other than money.

Yeah, the whole "play somebody" argument is tiring.  Exactly right about Boise State.  They wanted to play teams, they offered several Power 5 schools the opportunities for home & home series but they all declined. Hell they even campaigned to join the Pac 10 at the time and were denied. Probably because they would've been immediate Pac 10 champs. Virginia Tech I believe was one of the first teams to accept them, and they only played one year in Blacksburg.  Let's face the reality of it, Power 5 schools are scared shitless to play good mid-major teams.  They hide behind the "play somebody" argument but "somebody" rarely if ever wants to step up.  And we've seen the results in bowl games.  Utah, Boise State, and TCU all consistently won major bowl games against Power 5 schools.  UCF did it last year.  These schools have proven time and time again that they belong in the discussion but the all mighty dollar keeps them out.  The NCAA is a joke.  They should be embracing these schools, instead they try to squash any success they have and then tell us all that they "need to play somebody."  We all loved it when Butler damn near beat Duke in the tournament 8 years ago.  Brad Stevens and Gordon Heyward had the entire country rooting for them.  But they were just a fluke, right? Nope, right back in the Championship game a year later.  Give the small schools a shot.  If they fall short, they fall short.  But let it be determined on the field, not by some biased selection committee in a boardroom who couldn't care less about anything other than money.
    So I think you guys are all nuts.

All 4 top ranked teams have either played at least 3 ranked teams and at least 1 more team that at one time was ranked.

These teams are playing other "good" teams.

Or am I nuts and you all think that UCF is better than most of these teams?  They are playing LSU in bowl game and I expect them to win that one too BTW but only because LSU has 3 losses.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

Rammer Jammer!!!

I am glad UCF got LSU in the bowl game.

I was hoping for a Georgia/OSU game.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

All 4 top ranked teams have either played at least 3 ranked teams and at least 1 more team that at one time was ranked.

Or am I nuts and you all think that UCF is better than most of these teams?  They are playing LSU in bowl game and I expect them to win that one too BTW but only because LSU has 3 losses.
    1. You are nuts...but it has nothing to do with college football. :lol:

2. I personally believe UCF is not as good as the other schools who are ahead of them. I think they want to play good teams but I don't think the good teams will schedule them.

3. Be cautious when judging the outcome of some bowl games. Maybe UCF beats LSU by 10 but maybe only 1 player from UCF is going pro and maybe 4 players from LSU sit out a meaningless bowl game to protect their draft stock. Not saying this is, or is not the case but it's worth keeping in mind. Meaningless bowl games seem to not reflect the outcome of a mid October game between undefeated or 1 loss teams.

4. The only way to know anything for sure is to settle it on the field. 

How will we ever know if UCF is better than most of these teams when the committee won't give them a shot to prove it?

How will we ever know if UCF is better than most of these teams when the committee won't give them a shot to prove it?

once they get handled by LSU... then you know that don't belong in the top 4.  leave to Auburn to fuck shit up. they could've ended this last year.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

once they get handled by LSU... then you know that don't belong in the top 4.  leave to Auburn to fuck shit up. they could've ended this last year.
    You mean like all those teams that Utah, Boise State, and TCU "got handled by" in the BCS era?  Oh wait, they didn't.  Why does the Auburn game get excused?  Just because you're an Alabama fan doesn't make Auburn a meaningless or less worthy opponent.  The Knights beat the #7 team in the country. In one of major bowl games.  As long as there are Power 5 schools that continue to lose bowl games on an annual basis to mid-majors, the discussion will never end.  If LSU wins, it doesn't put an end to it.  It's just one loss in one year.  History tells us otherwise that these teams have not only been able to compete, they're able to win.
  • lolobugg said:

LSU isn't as good as you think there firebug!!!

We will come back to this thread in a month and jabber away.
    lolobugg said:

LSU isn't as good as you think there firebug!!!

We will come back to this thread in a month and jabber away.

We shall see! anxious to see what they do against LSU

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Switching to Heisman talk, who is everyone's vote?  I've been a Tua fan all year long.  But Haskins had a monster year.  The Big 12 doesn't even play defense so that rules out Murray for me.  I really don't think the SEC Championship game should hurt Tua's credibility.  If that game happened in October it's not an issue, so why is it an issue now?

2. I personally believe UCF is not as good as the other schools who are ahead of them. I think they want to play good teams but I don't think the good teams will schedule them.

3. Be cautious when judging the outcome of some bowl games. Maybe UCF beats LSU by 10 but maybe only 1 player from UCF is going pro and maybe 4 players from LSU sit out a meaningless bowl game to protect their draft stock. Not saying this is, or is not the case but it's worth keeping in mind. Meaningless bowl games seem to not reflect the outcome of a mid October game between undefeated or 1 loss teams.

Not winning a bowl game does have an effect on incoming recruits.  It might not be the Championship but it does matter.

The Fiesta bowl is a decent bowl.
  • Switching to Heisman talk, who is everyone's vote?  I've been a Tua fan all year long.  But Haskins had a monster year.  The Big 12 doesn't even play defense so that rules out Murray for me.  I really don't think the SEC Championship game should hurt Tua's credibility.  If that game happened in October it's not an issue, so why is it an issue now?
    The Heisman favorite Murray is going to switch to baseball at the end of this year.

I love that.

Not winning a bowl game does have an effect on incoming recruits.  It might not be the Championship but it does matter.

I agree and I believe that UCF will go all out to try to win. My question is how many people (starters) on LSU will sit the game out. If 6 starters from LSU sit out to protect their draft stock, and UCF has 0 starters sitting it out, then it could be a less than accurate depiction of the 2 teams. 

It would be similar to, say, Oklahoma getting Murray injured in practice before the bowl game. If that happened and Bama beat Oklahoma by 17, we would all likely feel the game could/would have gone differently or been closer if Murray were in the game.

I agree and I believe that UCF will go all out to try to win. My question is how many people (starters) on LSU will sit the game out. If 6 starters from LSU sit out to protect their draft stock, and UCF has 0 starters sitting it out, then it could be a less than accurate depiction of the 2 teams. 

It would be similar to, say, Oklahoma getting Murray injured in practice before the bowl game. If that happened and Bama beat Oklahoma by 17, we would all likely feel the game could/would have gone differently or been closer if Murray were in the game.
    Murray is going to play baseball so he will be ok barring death...
    Switching to Heisman talk, who is everyone's vote?  I've been a Tua fan all year long.  But Haskins had a monster year.  The Big 12 doesn't even play defense so that rules out Murray for me.  I really don't think the SEC Championship game should hurt Tua's credibility.  If that game happened in October it's not an issue, so why is it an issue now?

I am a Bama homer so you know who I am voting for..........

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Murray is going to play baseball so he will be ok barring death...
    I know he will. I'm saying the course of the game would most certainly be different if he were not to play. Just as it would likely be the case if LSU has 5 or 6 starters sit out against UCF. That's all.

• KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Yeah because things are going bad. Another 12-1 B1G Conference Championship season, top 5 recruiting classes through 2020, and just beat Michigan for the 7th straight year. 
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    KC138045 said:
    Yeah because things are going bad. Another 12-1 B1G Conference Championship season, top 5 recruiting classes through 2020, and just beat Michigan for the 7th straight year. 

I had that same thought.

WAY TO GO, CLIFFY!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    KC138045 said:

I had that same thought.

WAY TO GO, CLIFFY!
    Alright, so when his team gets down to Maryland....his cyst juuuuuuuuuust so happens to act up.
    The F 15s for the Army Navy game just flew over my house a couple times over the past hour.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Wobbie said:
    KC138045 said:

I had that same thought.

WAY TO GO, CLIFFY!
    Alright, so when his team gets down to Maryland....his cyst juuuuuuuuuust so happens to act up.
    yeah, because it's stress related. duh.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14